• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation Vita In 2011-2012

Kerrby

Banned
theBishop said:
Resistance being a launch title has me more excited about that game. I wasn't too impressed with the E3 demo, but online support at launch is a big deal for me. Especially since Uncharted probably won't.

Multiplayer is only 4 vs 4. Also it is Vitas ugliest game.

Leona Lewis said:
Is there any hope left that Vita might launch in the West this year? It doesn't make sense that Resistance is coming out in December but isn't a launch title since there's only one more week left in the year after the week Vita is released (and no way is it being launched on New Year's Eve). Why launch with Uncharted and Resistance in Japan and have them spoiled for the real fanbase in the West? People seem to care about the storylines in these series.

if they were, I see no reason why they wouldn't just announce the date here and now as well. Also it's easy to avoid spoilers, I see no reason members of the "real fanbase" who don't want to be spoiled will be spoiled unless they have no self control.

DoomXploder7 said:
if they were, I see no reason why they wouldn't just announce the date here and now as well. Also it's easy to avoid spoilers, I see no reason members of the "real fanbase" who don't want to be spoiled will be spoiled unless they have no self control.
I see your point, but I guess we'll see how many people can resist those UStream live playthroughs when the time comes :p

ReaperXL7

So can anyone guess at how likely it would be that we would even get the DJ MAX games for vita in the U.S? It's probably one of my most wanted games on the system so far so i'd like to know if I should even be getting my hopes up.

I saw gameplay trailers for Lord of apocolypse and that Ragnarok game and the screenshots look better right now. Could just be the quality of the youtube vids though. There is a ton of games on the lineup for Vita that I'm really pumped for. Just have to hold my interest down as much as possible for some as i'm sure games like Tales of Innocence and Ys could very well end up not coming here either.

Was going to pick up Rayman for PS3, but it's easily a Vita purchase as of now.

theBishop

Banned
Kerrby said:
Multiplayer is only 4 vs 4. Also it is Vitas ugliest game.

I think it's prettier than Army Corps of Hell. :|

4 x 4 is fine if it's the best multiplayer game in the first 6 months. And if you think it's ugly, I don't see any better looking fps so far.

That said, I'm not expecting much from Nihlistic software.

AppleBlade

New father here (my son is 2 1/2 months) and I wish this friggin' thing came out already! As expected, time in front of my consoles has gone down to basically nothing. My gaming has been done mostly on my iOS devices and a little PSP. I can't wait for the damn Vita. Trophies/achievements and feeling like I'm connected to an online community of gamers and "friends" are the missing ingredients to complete my portable gaming sauce!

neptunes

ReaperXL07 said:
So can anyone guess at how likely it would be that we would even get the DJ MAX games for vita in the U.S? It's probably one of my most wanted games on the system so far so i'd like to know if I should even be getting my hopes up.

I saw gameplay trailers for Lord of apocolypse and that Ragnarok game and the screenshots look better right now. Could just be the quality of the youtube vids though. There is a ton of games on the lineup for Vita that I'm really pumped for. Just have to hold my interest down as much as possible for some as i'm sure games like Tales of Innocence and Ys could very well end up not coming here either.

Was going to pick up Rayman for PS3, but it's easily a Vita purchase as of now.
I think they might release it digitally, that way they wont have to worry about having a such an obscure game not selling on retail shelves.

It shouldn't be really hard game to localize, I don't remember the first game using licensed music.

Duffyside

Banned
There might be a dozen games on that list I want day 1. Great job, Nirolak.

Assassin's Creed, Bioshock and Call of Duty are potentially Vita's strongest asset, and the things that may make it a success. Especially if they're new experiences and not ports, upscaled or not. Man, Sony would be so brilliant if they made sure to lock-in Bioshock and especially Call of Duty as being new games which can't be played anywhere else. But I'll have to see it before I believe that happened.

Apparently Assassin's Creed is just that though, and that's huge. I'm not a big fan of the single player AC experience, but I am a big fan of the general idea, and am dying for a new setting. Well, apparently this game will have that, and it doesn't seem to be a new setting in the "it's five years later, and Ezio's down the street!" Give me feudal Japan, Revolutionary America or France, or even expand on the comic which used early 20th century Russia. Mmm... so many possibilities.
Get ready for disappointment! Cheaper to reuse assets.

Diebuster

ReaperXL07 said:

They have PM Studios here in the US to release the game. After the simultaneous release for Portable 3, I'd be surprised if we didn't get Technika. Though if we don't, the DJ Max games are about as import friendly as possible.

Amir0x

Banned
So far definite buys:

Uncharted: Golden Abyss - I've always though the series was good, not great, but this is going to be the true technical marvel to showcase off. That this is a launch game says a million things about Vita, all of them good.

Hot Shots Golf 6 - Still the best arcade golfing game. I wish they added RPG elements like Mario Golf GBA, but sans that it's as pure fun game experience as it comes.

Katamari - Finally a Katamari game on a handheld with two analog sticks. The PSP Katamari game was so painful to play, hand contortionist style, that it essentially ruined the game. This time we're going to get the proper real deal. It's been a while since I played a good Katamari game, so I hope with the new mechanics it'd pass the mediocre Beautiful Katamari and Katamari PSP.

Gravity Daze - Siren dudes with some crazy gravity defying mind fuck game? Hells yeah. Looks original, handheld friendly and it's not just another attempt to ape a PS3 game. This is what I'm talkin' about.

Little Big Planet - I never seem to have the time to dedicate to really getting good at level building. Finally, I can bring it along and really try to get into the level building shit. And since it's Vita, there won't be any gameplay/visual sacrifices. I'm game.

Persona 4: The Golden - Let me preface to say I hate this lazy port shit. But I have a very soft spot for Persona (and Shin Megami Tensei games in general), so hopefully with the new characters and features it'll justify the purchase. And this time it'll be the full deal with better graphics than the original, none of that point-and-click of Per3Por, so this is why I'm likely going to get it. Might replace my original copy.

Ys 4 – Celceta, Sea Of Trees - One of my most anticipated Vita titles. Looks like the type of remake that deserves the time and day. Ys 4 is the only Ys game I missed irl, and since it's an obscure game as it is certainly it's not a Zelda situaiton where I've played it 5000000 times.

Sound Shapes - Looks like portable bliss. Original, looks hot and addictive.

Dragon's Crown - ASS CHEEK SWISH SWOOSH SWISH SWOOSH ASS CHEEK. 'Nuff Said.

Lumines: Electronic Symphony - Lumines is one of the all-time greatest puzzle series. Apparently this game will introduce a ton of new features PLUS re-implement an electronica/techno only soundtrack, so there is absolutely no way to go wrong. Probably will spend 600000 hours on this.

Ruin - Because getting it for PS3 means also getting it for Vita at the same time. One needs support such astoundingly smart decisions. Plus seems like a loot whore game, for which I am a sucker.

Super Stardust Delta - A sequel to one of the best PSN games. And it just so happens to be ideal for portable handheld gaming, so I'm in.

Rayman Origins - I think this is the first game I'm ever going to be purchasing multiple versions of on day one. It's too beautiful. Does it have cloud saving?

Resistance: Burning Skies - I like the Resistance series, even the second one, so I have no problem with a brand new portable game.

Little King's Story - One of the best Wii games, this new title will probably be one of the best Vita games. I'm thankful the art style isn't near as big of a departure as I feared. Will be great for handheld play too.

DJ Max Technika - DJ Max series is one of the best rhythm/audio game series. No way I'm missing out on this. I'll import if I have to, and I almost never import.

EVERYTHING ELSE...

I'd get Ridge Racer if the being 'early' part is true to the extent that we will eventually get locked 60fps. If not, Scamco won't get to fool me this time. This time this is a launch that actually has some games that aren't shitty, so I won't have my hand forced by the disaster (like, say, with the 3DS launch). I'm sure Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 will be a good game, but I don't buy handheld titles to just re-buy what I will own on my console. If they included this with the PS3 version, I'd have it. Otherwise, no thanks. Same for Street Fighter X Tekken. I may get Army Corps of Hell if by some miracle it turns out decently, since the concept seems like the type of thing I get into. Wipeout 2048... I am waffling on this at the moment, because it seems to be 30fps. I love Wipeout SO MUCH and it has never been a series that has sinned frequently, so I might still forgive it and purchase it. 999 turned out to be as bad as those who warned me not to get it because it wouldn't be "for me" suggested, so I'm surely skipping Extreme Escape Adventure: Good People Die. I'm waiting to see a little more about Alien Spidy before deciding... nice style though. Was going to get Escape Plan before I heard about the awful touch only controls. No thanks.

Silent Hill: Book of Memories will depend entirely on reviews from people I trust. I love Silent Hill, but this seems totally out of the spirit and just sort of fanwanky. I like WayForward, but they're going to have to prove to me it has a reason to exist. Sumioni looks cool, but I doubt it'll come to the USA. May get Final Fantasy X HD if it is possible to encourage a Final Fantasy XII International HD game for Vita. Also Bioshock, looking forward to whatever Level 5's RPG is, and of course ANYTHING from Cave has my ears perked.

Really, Vita's opening game salvo is quite remarkable from a system stand point. I haven't wanted this many games in a launch window since SNES.

theBishop

Banned
duffyside said:
Apparently Assassin's Creed is just that though, and that's huge. I'm not a big fan of the single player AC experience, but I am a big fan of the general idea, and am dying for a new setting. Well, apparently this game will have that, and it doesn't seem to be a new setting in the "it's five years later, and Ezio's down the street!" Give me feudal Japan, Revolutionary America or France, or even expand on the comic which used early 20th century Russia. Mmm... so many possibilities.
Get ready for disappointment! Cheaper to reuse assets.

I'm really excited about open world games on Vita. PSP had a few, but Borderlands or Elder Scrolls on a handheld could be a life sucker. I'd settle for Assassin's Creed in the first year.

theBishop

Banned
Amir0x said:
Ruin - Because getting it for PS3 means also getting it for Vita at the same time. One needs support such astoundingly smart decisions. Plus seems like a loot whore game, for which I am a sucker.

I really hope this game is more than just the cloud-saving trick. 2-player online dungeon hack could be what the doctor ordered. But it could also be Untold Legends.

Amir0x

Banned
theBishop said:
I really hope this game is more than just the cloud-saving trick. 2-player online dungeon hack could be what the doctor ordered. But it could also be Untold Legends.

Don't you dare drop the name Untold Legends!

Don't...don't you dare..

..box guy is going to get angry. He swore his revenge one day. Oh god this will be Untold Legends, won't it?

Kerrby

Banned
theBishop said:
I think it's prettier than Army Corps of Hell. :|

4 x 4 is fine if it's the best multiplayer game in the first 6 months. And if you think it's ugly, I don't see any better looking fps so far.

That said, I'm not expecting much from Nihlistic software.

Isn't it the ONLY FPS?

Emitan

My list of games is pretty much the same as Amir0x's minus a few things. And it's still way too big. But as long as I buy one game at a time and finish one before playing the next, the Vita should be cheap for me as long as Amazon discounts the games like they normally do.

theBishop

Banned
Amir0x said:
Don't you dare drop the name Untold Legends!

Don't...don't you dare..

..box guy is going to get angry. He swore his revenge one day. Oh god this will be Untold Legends, won't it?

I don't know. It's a collaboration between Idol Minds (PAIN) and Sony San Diego (Modnation, MLB The Show, Mark of Kri). Tough call.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
salromano said:
Forgot to mention Shin Megami Tensei Vita.
Atlus has had an especially bad record with "Game Being In List" -> "Game Actually Existing", so I left their logo game out. :lol

Corto said:
Some Killzone Vita screenshots:

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee410/ssjknux/killzone1.png[/MG]

[IMG]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee410/ssjknux/killzone2.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Thanks. The main reason I left it out though is that the screens are so old that I felt it was probably more fair to them to just wait for new media.

The majority of people who think CoD on Vita will blow up are likely people who don't actually play CoD and consequently don't understand some of the most important elements of its appeal.

VanWinkle

Amir0x said:
Was going to get Escape Plan before I heard about the awful touch only controls. No thanks.

Really, Vita's opening game salvo is quite remarkable from a system stand point. I haven't wanted this many games in a launch window since SNES.

First of all, holy cow at all of your day one games, lol. On the subject of Escape Plan, I too was extremely disappointed to hear about the touch-only controls on it. It has such an awesome style to it that would have lent itself well to dpad/analog stick.

And yeah, Vita's launch window is absolutely amazing for what it is.

Great OP, Nirolak.

Amir0x

Banned
theBishop said:
I don't know. It's a collaboration between Idol Minds (PAIN) and Sony San Diego (Modnation, MLB The Show, Mark of Kri). Tough call.

Man speaking of this... wouldn't you love a new Mark of Kri game? I know I would. I'd buy one for Vita in a heart beat.

I get what you're saying. Impossible to know whether such a collaboration will work out...

_Alkaline_ said:
The majority of people who think CoD on Vita will blow up are likely people who don't actually play CoD and consequently don't understand some of the most important elements of its appeal.

It's online play. I agree with you, CoD is not going to blow up. People don't want to play that type of online game on a handheld, because you have to be tethered to a decent wireless internet connection anyway. And in that case, you might as well play the console version on your HDTV and with 60fps and a always on internet.

VanWinkle said:
First of all, holy cow at all of your day one games, lol. On the subject of Escape Plan, I too was extremely disappointed to hear about the touch-only controls on it. It has such an awesome style to it that would have lent itself well to dpad/analog stick.

And yeah, Vita's launch window is absolutely amazing for what it is.

Great OP, Nirolak.

it really is an amazing start. PSP had a decent start, as far as launches go (and by that I mean it was still fairly lame, but just better than most launches typically are... if only for Wipeout, Ridge Racer and Lumines), but Vita's launch window seems absurdly strong by comparison to almost any launch I've seen since SNES. It may indeed be THE best if these games all make it within the first two months. It's something else. I hope so hard that Sony is rewarded for understanding what systems NEED when they launch, but I fear for the market...

Yoboman

_Alkaline_ said:
Please do expand

I honestly thought that that was ridge racer. and its a gameloft title. surprised me more than a bit.

Also haven't been following VT series but that pic of VT4 made me go wow.

great OP. subscribed. lots of games I want.

VanWinkle

Pachterballs said:
XUOiE.jpg

I honestly thought that that was ridge racer. and its a gameloft title. surprised me more than a bit.

Also haven't been following VT series but that pic of VT4 made me go wow.

great OP. subscribed. lots of games I want.

I think you posted the wrong screenshot. But if you're talking about Asphalt, the graphics are good from screenshots, but gameplay's not that great and in motion it's a little lacking. Really, it just looks like a seven dollar game while playing it, and that's because that's what it is on the App Store and Android Market. Hopefully we won't see it cost $40 on Vita.

Boney

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
The only way CoD Vita can blow up is if local multi blows up with it, since it's the only advantage it has over console brothers, because portability for it's campaign won't do shit.

I don't see this happening here, but we'll see.

JordanLMiller said:
How in the world do you have enough time to play all these!?
We gaffers just buy games, we don't play them

original PSP had an amazing launch in America just for reviving PS1 franchise like Ridge Racer, Wipeout and Twisted Metal. Didn't much in the way of new original IPs, but Metal Gear Acid was an awesome off-shoot. While not launch, Syphon Filter was another reinvigorated ps1 series.

If Vita has something it's maybe the Japanese launch ever

VanWinkle said:
I think you posted the wrong screenshot. But if you're talking about Asphalt, the graphics are good from screenshots, but gameplay's not that great and in motion it's a little lacking. Really, it just looks like a seven dollar game while playing it, and that's because that's what it is on the App Store and Android Market. Hopefully we won't see it cost $40 on Vita.

It could go on PSN for $10-15. I'm not saying gameloft is quality; just surprised to see them on VITA - although I really shouldn't be. Because they already have a game up on PSN - dungeon hack or whatever its called.

http://au.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/dungeon-hunter--alliance/review.html (7/10)

* noticed how I removed the screen after I posted - but not before you quoted :)

Amir0x

Banned
JordanLMiller said:
How in the world do you have enough time to play all these!?

Most of the games, I would assume, are not going to be particularly long. I doubt Uncharted for example would be much longer than 6 hours. There's hardly any RPGs on the list, except like Persona 4 and maybe Ruin.

I'm pretty good at games, so unless the game is an RPG or something like that it's not going to take very long to complete them.

That said, I do have a backlog and my philosophy behind buying games I'm genuinely interested in is this:

I put them on my shelf and then I know that whenever I am interesting in playing a game, I'll always have something there I haven't played yet. In this way, I'm sort of like creating my own Blockbuster. I will always have at least one game I haven't been able to dig into yet, which is cool. I like the option to choose what I want, since sometimes I am just not in the mood for one thing or another.

ZoddGutts said:
Amir0x forgot to put Dream Club on he's must buy list.

Harr Harr. Sorry I'm a red blooded American Male :p

Linkzg said:
original PSP had an amazing launch in America just for reviving PS1 franchise like Ridge Racer, Wipeout and Twisted Metal. Didn't much in the way of new original IPs, but Metal Gear Acid was an awesome off-shoot. While not launch, Syphon Filter was another reinvigorated ps1 series.

I forgot about Metal Gear Ac!d. Dude, I would love another one of those. Great strategy type game. Syphon Filter wasn't a launch window title though, was it? I don't remember it being close to launch.

Yoboman said:
Please do expand

Playing with friends/clans is a huge part of what keeps people coming back to the games on a a regular basis. Keep in mind that I said 'majority' in my previous post - absolutely, there are many out there who play lone wolf and don't play with mates. But as someone who said put hundreds and hundreds of hours into the franchise, my experience has taught me that a big part of the appeal for Call of Duty (as with numerous other online-centric franchises) is playing with friends.

So, if you're a regular CoD player and most of your friends are on a single platform, why would you jump ship? Most people want to be where their mates are and this is going to be either the PS3 or 360 for the next couple of years.

I understand that the appeal of CoD Vita is as a secondary device - 'CoD when you can't play at home' - but I sincerely doubt the majorty of CoD's market is going to purchase a $250+ handheld for a single game to play on a platform that likely none of their friends own.

If the platform can become so popular that the mainstream market flock to it in droves, then this drawback could be eliminated. In that respect, CoD is not a system seller for Vita - rather, Vita would need to sell in order for CoD to sell.

Emitan

"I put them on my shelf and then I know that whenever I am interesting in playing a game, I'll always have something there I haven't played yet. In this way, I'm sort of like creating my own Blockbuster. I will always have at least one game I haven't been able to dig into yet, which is cool. I like the option to choose what I want, since sometimes I am just not in the mood for one thing or another."

I try this and I just end up with dozens of wasted purchases. I guess that's because of my horrible ADD, though. It's really hard for me to play a game when there are dozens of other ones available.

Kyoufu

If COD fans pay 150 dollars or however much it is for a shitty little RC car then they'll pay 300 for a Vita and COD.

Of course Sony has to work with Activision to ensure compatibility between the PS3 and Vita versions. COD Elite needs to work on Vita too.

Personally, I would rather play COD on Vita due to superior online service. Provided of course that the game is 60 FPS and cross-platform with the PS3 community.

Weenerz

Banned
Uncharted
UMVC3
Katarmari
LBP
Wipeout
Ruin
Super Stardust Delta
Rayman
Resistance
Modnation
Escape Plan

These are the games I want, make it happen Sony. Give us a US release date so I know when I will be going broke.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
_Alkaline_ said:
I understand that the appeal of CoD Vita is as a secondary device - 'CoD when you can't play at home' - but I sincerely doubt the majorty of CoD's market is going to purchase a $250+ handheld for a single game to play on a platform that likely none of their friends own.
The point of the Call of Duty Vita game, I should mention, is that it HAS to be a brand new game. If it's just a port of Modern Warfare 3, I absolutely agree with you. But if it's a new game, with new and classic maps and perks, well, it would really only need to win over a fourth of the current COD audience to be a big success for Vita.

lord of apocalypse looks pretty amazing - finally there's a trailer!

@cosmicblizzard. Are you seriously judging the game by the screen? Go watching the bloody trailer. ACOH is like pikmin from hell.

Emitan

Kyoufu said:
If COD fans pay 150 dollars or however much it is for a shitty little RC car then they'll pay 300 for a Vita and COD.

Of course Sony has to work with Activision to ensure compatibility between the PS3 and Vita versions. COD Elite needs to work on Vita too.

Personally, I would rather play COD on Vita due to superior online service. Provided of course that the game is 60 FPS and cross-platform with the PS3 community.
Why would they pay $300 so they could play a "worse" version of the game?

Amir0x

Banned
Kyoufu said:

I dunno dude, the point of any handheld is portability. And if you must be tethered to home anyway for competent online play, why would they choose it over the console version they likely already have?

I think Alkaline is right on this. It may sell well (like, Wii version well), but it won't be a system seller.

Billychu said:
I try this and I just end up with dozens of wasted purchases. I guess that's because of my horrible ADD, though. It's really hard for me to play a game when there are dozens of other ones available.

hahaha. Well, it's just like I know certain games are there for me and I always have a choice. I have attention problems too on occasion, so the fact that I have so many options allows me fluid set of choices to keep myself engaged no matter what my mood is.

Sometimes I will just totally lose all interest in playing something I'm on, and it's nice to be able to dig my hand into the shelf and come up with something that is likely so fundamentally different that it still keeps me into wanting to play games.

Kyoufu

Amir0x said:
I dunno dude, the point of any handheld is portability. And if you must be tethered to home anyway for competent online play, why would they choose it over the console version they likely already have?

I think Alkaline is right on this. It may sell well (like, Wii version well), but it won't be a system seller.

Like I said, COD fans will buy anything. $15 map packs, $150 RC car editions. A vita with COD for $300 is a sweet deal. I'm sure there are Wifi Spots in more than just starbucks these days.

It may not sell millions from the first Vita release, but just like Monster Hunter Portable's growth in Japan, we'll see similar growth with the Vita versions.

none of this is going to happen is it..

Mrbob

Gravity Daze looks awesome. With the current output of SCEJ we should expect to see it in 2015? Maybe 2014 if we are lucky?!

Little King's Story and Army Corps look cool too. I like any spin on Pikmin.

Kyoufu said:
Like I said, COD fans will buy anything. $15 map packs, $150 RC car editions. A vita with COD for $300 is a sweet deal. I'm sure there are Wifi Spots in more than just starbucks these days.

It may not sell millions from the first Vita release, but just like Monster Hunter Portable's growth in Japan, we'll see similar growth with the Vita versions.

none of this is going to happen is it..
Not with Activision at the helm
lol.gif

This COD talk got me curious. What is the range that MH players have to be in in order to play MH together? For instance, if I'm in the subway train, do we all have to be right next to each other on the same cart, or can I be in one cart, another player in another cart and so on?

Top Bottom