• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pokémon Company issues statement on Palworld

MirageMew2

Inquiries Regarding Other Companies’ Games

We have received many inquiries regarding another company’s game released in January 2024. We have not granted any permission for the use of Pokémon intellectual property or assets in that game. We intend to investigate and take appropriate measures to address any acts that infringe on intellectual property rights related to the Pokémon. We will continue to cherish and nurture each and every Pokémon and its world, and work to bring the world together through Pokémon in the future.

The Pokémon Company

Last edited:

Power Pro

This says to me that maybe they want to build a case before doing anything, because they don't want to flub it. So many people celebrating the outright plagiarism of character models, and design aspects of characters because "it's fun" just make me roll my eyes. It can be fun, but they should've made their own damn character designs.

MrA

Banned
Is palworld success due to having a lot of pals to collect?

Can it be successful if they did not ripoff pokemon art?
In the US,
pals to collect doesn't matter, game design is extremely difficult to copyright

artwise it doesn't matter if they are stylistically similar, the standard is complex, but it would come down to whether the judge thinks they are too similar or not, attempting to merchandise or trademark the pals would cause increased scrutiny,

I don't know anything about Japan's standards though.

Every dollar Nintendo spends on this boondoggle is double what can't be spent on game development after they get their ass handed to them in court. Either ignore it, or try to compete.
In the US, they might be able to get an injunction and force pocket pair to change the art direction, but like I said before, the judge presiding would matter and what Pocket Pair tries to do with the pals.

Deerock71

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

peish

In the US,

artwise it doesn't matter if they are stylistically similar, the standard is complex, but it would come down to whether the judge thinks they are too similar or not, attempting to merchandise or trademark the pals would cause increased scrutiny,

In the US, they might be able to get an injunction and force pocket pair to change the art direction, but like I said before, the judge presiding would matter and what Pocket Pair tries to do with the pals.

I read before that game assets are one of most costly part of development

So if palworld just AI modified existing hundreds of pokemon, they have right there, that many pals for early access to make some splash!

Last edited:

Musashipan

The game is trash and garbage and clearly a nefarious copy of Pokemon, whoever refuses to see that has serious problems. A Pokémon game from Nintendo would sell more. I don't even like Pokémon and the last Pokémon game I played was stadium because of the minigames. I sincerely hope that the games is taken down and the copycat dev is sued till they go bankrupt.
Have a nice day

In the US,

I honestly believe Nintendo going after these guys would be a mistake that can't be handwaved away. There is literally zero methods of winning this PR situation other than trying to get Palworld on Switch 2.

MrA

Banned
I read before that game assets are one of most costly part of development

So if palworld just AI modified existing hundreds of pokemon, they have right there, that many pals for early access to make some splash!
if they just ai modified existing art, they would be infringing,
if they didn't it gets more complicated

aka please stop asking us.

The Palworld guys are smart. They didn't straight up copy but changed the designs just enough that it's very hard to go after legally. If Nintendo were to pursue them, they would need a rock solid case, or else it'll be a PR disaster. In a way it's bait and Palworld would get tons of PR either way.

Let's not kid ourselves though, it's all "inspired" from Pokemon and everything is just an iterative design. Even the other game they announced is just a hollow knight clone.

Is there even evidence that PalWorld devs are using AI in any way? Outside of maybe a translated statement (which may or may not be correctly translated), there hasn't been any verifiable evidence of AI being used. I think the "AI" angle is being exaggerated by people who don't fully understand what the technology is.
The Pokemon Company would have pounced on this shit day 0 if there were actually any instances of meaningful infringement.

MrA

Banned
I honestly believe Nintendo going after these guys would be a mistake that can't be handwaved away. There is literally zero methods of winning this PR situation other than trying to get Palworld on Switch 2.
PR is an entirely different issue, I assume they have a bunch of bean counters calculating how any action they take would effect pokemon.

dottme

I feel like they used a lot of words but didn’t say anything…
That's basically what most company communication is. You don't want to say anything stupid. So this kind of message is often without any meaning.
This way, the lawyer team can continue to work on the case without risking one of their own company message returned in their face.

FeralEcho

"We received many inquiries"

People really are sending them twitter DMs over this, lol.
Nintendo fanboys/girls really don't have a life, It's honestly pathetic.Who the fuck cares what these companies do with eachother's properties,they don't care about you,imagine wasting your precious time on investigating this shit when you aren't getting paid for it and the company you stan for literally don't cares for you.When has game freak for example listened to fan demands lmao They've been making some of the worst technical showpieces for the console when they clearly have the budget for something better and they work on one of the biggest I.P.s on the planet.

Nintendo's flock of fanboys and fangirls trully are the cucks of the industry...

Live image of a Nintendo fan when his neighbour comes to "visit" his girlfriend:

dNnJLdq.gif

Codes 208

Still don’t see the problem. Games are inspired by other games all the time. Dozens of Pokémon clones over the years. But this one blew up lol.
Good luck in court Nintendo 👍🏼
You’ll need it.
Nothing about this suggests theyre trying to take the palworld devs to court.

Not to mention that gamefreak and TPC dont cease and desist smaller devs to the same extent nintendo does otherwise theyve wouldve gone for their throats when this game was first revealed years ago.

Fabieter

This says to me that maybe they want to build a case before doing anything, because they don't want to flub it. So many people celebrating the outright plagiarism of character models, and design aspects of characters because "it's fun" just make me roll my eyes. It can be fun, but they should've made their own damn character designs.

It definitely helped sell their game that everything looks so damn similar and it helped roll the hype in. But it doesn't matter as long as they didn't rip anything if they did than they deserve to get sued to oblivion.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
This isn't simply a fan mod or something...it's a videogame that sold 8M copies in 6 days. They need a solid case before doing anything whatsoever.

Dollars to donuts this is more about journos than it is fans.

Both seem plausible to me.

I can imagine that Nintendo/The Pokemon company will want to defend their IP if it's possible to do so, but also that they're suddenly dealing with a bulk of messages from people asking for comment.

Last edited:
There is literally zero methods of winning this PR situation other than trying to get Palworld on Switch 2.
You sir, have understood the art of war.

Let it have some spotlight in the next Nintendo Direct. Profit off of the revenue on your platform and then watch the hype die slowly while more people become hungry for the next installment of the real deal.

Fredrik

Sounds like they won’t do anything and just want people to stop bothering them.

Most interesting thing there is when they say they will work to ”bring the world together through Pokémon” in the future.
Wishful thinking I guess but it sounds like they notice that people outside of the Nintendo bubble are interested and they’re thinking about bringing Pokémon to Steam.
How else would they bring the world together? Mobile? They already have Pokémon on mobiles.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Are they allowing the cash to flow in only to later sue demanding a portion of that phat haul?

I’ve played the game for several hours and it doesn’t feel like a Pokemon game to me. It feels like a 3rd person Black & White while using Pokémon inspired ideation with some of the character models seemingly iterative.

If Pal is using stolen work and art then sue the fuck out of them but if it just looks similar, well, artist have been doing that since the dawn of art.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Game would have been shut down if they were infringing on Pokemon when they released their first trailer a couple years ago.

I read this statement as "If we were going to sue their asses we would have done it by now. The fact we haven't implies we don't think we have a case. Please stop fucking emailing us."

If I was Nintendo, I would be offering Pocket Pair a very, very generous buyout offer. "Take the offer, or we WILL sue your asses, and even if we lose, we'll bury you with years of legal harassment." Then once Pocket Pair is owned by Nintendo, the game can finally be rebranded Pokemon Gun and real Pokemon can be put in the game

Imagine being the type of person who emails a Multi-billion dollar company and asks them to investigate a significantly smaller company because your butt hurt their game uses a similar art style and is more fun to play than the shit the Multi-billion dollar company gives you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom