• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pokémon Company issues statement on Palworld

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nintendo fanboys/girls really don't have a life, It's honestly pathetic.Who the fuck cares what these companies do with eachother's properties,they don't care about you,imagine wasting your precious time on investigating this shit when you aren't getting paid for it and the company you stan for literally don't cares for you.When has game freak for example listened to fan demands lmao They've been making some of the worst technical showpieces for the console when they clearly have the budget for something better and they work on one of the biggest I.P.s on the planet.

Nintendo's flock of fanboys and fangirls trully are the cucks of the industry...

Live image of a Nintendo fan when his neighbour comes to "visit" his girlfriend:

dNnJLdq.gif
‘Nintendo fans are the cucks of the industry’ *goes back to playing Sweet Baby Incs’ getting bummed by a minority simulators*

Soodanim

Gold Member
Sounds like they won’t do anything and just want people to stop bothering them.

Most interesting thing there is when they say they will work to ”bring the world together through Pokémon” in the future.
Wishful thinking I guess but it sounds like they notice that people outside of the Nintendo bubble are interested and they’re thinking about bringing Pokémon to Steam.
How else would they bring the world together? Mobile? They already have Pokémon on mobiles.
That's a nice dream, but it's time to wake up now.

The world isn't being brought together through Pokémon any more than any recent game has, it's just marketing speak.

Griffon

aka please stop asking us.

The Palworld guys are smart. They didn't straight up copy but changed the designs just enough that it's very hard to go after legally. If Nintendo were to pursue them, they would need a rock solid case, or else it'll be a PR disaster. In a way it's bait and Palworld would get tons of PR either way.

Let's not kid ourselves though, it's all "inspired" from Pokemon and everything is just an iterative design. Even the other game they announced is just a hollow knight clone.

That's pretty much it yes. Sounds like they're well aware there is no case and they'd rather stop hearing about it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
You cant datamine the game before it releases to find some remaining ripped art.
Don't need to datamine by looking at the similar designs. Thus far the only action taken has been against the Pokemon mod which is only because it was put up behind a Patreon paywall.

Fabieter

Don't need to datamine by looking at the similar designs. Thus far the only action taken has been against the Pokemon mod which is only because it was put up behind a Patreon paywall.

I think actually finding some stuff deep in the data is better than just accusing them for shit.

Ribi

We will continue to cherish and nurture each and every Pokémon and its world, and work to bring the world together through Pokémon in the future.

well Im glad daddy nintendo cleared that up, now i know Pikachu is safe and i can sleep in my snorlax bed without fearing that some other company that isnt nintendo would get my money

Fredrik

That's a nice dream, but it's time to wake up now.

The world isn't being brought together through Pokémon any more than any recent game has, it's just marketing speak.
Maybe. But let me have this dream, I like to think that they’ve realized that one reason Palworld is selling is because there is a hunger for Pokémon among PC gamers.
PC is a growing platform, especially among younger people which is traditionally their target audience. It would make sense to expand on PC.

All company fanboys are dumb and I even find some of these unironically used GIFs of certain CEOs on here pretty eyeroll-worthy. But adult Nintendies continue to be the biggest freaks, no doubt.

Notice me company-senpai, I'm taking care of an evil imposter!

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I think actually finding some stuff deep in the data is better than just accusing them for shit.
Sure but as far as I can tell all these allegations thus far don't have any conclusive proof and is all made up. All these Pokemon White Knights are making fools of themselves. Nintendo would have acted much sooner.

I'll be honest, The Pokemon company really need to wind their neck in and actually start putting out GOOD GAMES.

People are getting tired of their sub par trash they've been putting out on the Switch recently.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'll be honest, The Pokemon company really need to wind their neck in and actually start putting out GOOD GAMES.

People are getting tired of their sub par trash they've been putting out on the Switch recently.
They don't need to if they make 3x-4x more off of Pokemon Merch. There is little incentive to improve on a proven formula much like an MMO. Make new Pokemon, put out 2-3 versions of the same game and then farm money through merchandising. Pokemon GO alone across a 5 year period made 6 billion in revenue.

This probably isn't completely accurate but paints a good picture of Pokemon Sales overall.

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Pokémon

CuNi

What I read is they don't have a case at all and just want fans to stop sending in mails lol. Nintendo never announces investigating.. They usually smite their infringing individual with a might so holy even the god emperor would think twice to take them on as an enemy.

This will just boost the popularity of palworld.

Sounds to me like they're just hoping something comes up that gives them better ground to sue. Considering how they instantly respond to the smallest mod projects there's zero chance in hell they haven't exhausted every avenue to prevent this game too, and haven't found anything legally tangible enough. It just looks like Pocket Pair have taken this into account and made sure it's legally distinct enough, regardless of what people might think otherwise. Outside a vocal minority people don't really care, they just want to play a fun game. I don't care either way, not my type of game, but I kinda do enjoy seeing the salty tears about AI this and plagiarism that. Seethe and cope, I say.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Imagine being the type of person who emails a Multi-billion dollar company and asks them to investigate a significantly smaller company because your butt hurt their game uses a similar art style and is more fun to play than the shit the Multi-billion dollar company gives you.
Except the small company is creatively bankrupt and cashing in on other's work. This isn't 'inspiration'. It's just plagiarism.

DJ12

We wanted a Pokemon open world for ages, the Pokemon Company hasnt cared.
We got a monster collector open world now and it prints money.
What a surprise...
Let other companys make Pokemon games, youre incompetent.
Are you suggesting standard pokemon games don't print money, also guess you haven't played pokemon since the switch, the last one is pure open world, the one I played before that also had open areas, think it was sword.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Sure but as far as I can tell all these allegations thus far don't have any conclusive proof and is all made up. All these Pokemon White Knights are making fools of themselves. Nintendo would have acted much sooner.

I think both palworld haters and fans insufferable.

Imo if they indeed ripped anything or used AI than sue them into obvlion is legit and should absolutely be done. If its not than everyone should be thankful that we got a fun game. The devs also deserve an apology if it was unwarranted.

Burger

They would have a tough time in court proving any sort of infringement.

That said, I would be purging emails and shredding documents right now if I worked at PocketPair.

Exede

Are you suggesting standard pokemon games don't print money, also guess you haven't played pokemon since the switch, the last one is pure open world, the one I played before that also had open areas, think it was sword.
I played almost all of them and also the current one. Yup sure they all print money but man a real open world with open world shit to do in it would be super good and the equivalent of not only printing money but owning the hole bank.
And the current pokemon one is open area not open world in my mind

Rac3r

Very hard to sue successfully, as they are different genre of games, and thus, the characters are represented in distinct ways. In terms of animation, there would have to be near 1:1 likeness between some of the characters of both games, but I think Palworld’s creatures are just outside the scope of infringement.

They absolutely ripped Pokemon off, but not in a way that’s illegal. I would like to see Nintendo/Pokemon pursue a lawsuit for the luls though.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I'd rather stick hornets up my ass than play either Pokemon or Palworld, but I am absolutely here for the fucking drama between a rip off games company and the people ripping them off.

Moneal

You cant datamine the game before it releases to find some remaining ripped art.
actually they would be able to get that stuff in discovery if it went that far. and could be done well before the game was released since the trailer 2 years ago had essentially the same exact designs as the EA release.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Palworld was announced years ago and if Pokemon Company had a solid case it would’ve been in the court already.

I don’t have a horse in this fight (tho we’ve finished Palworld in 3 days on our ds and the second half of the game fell apart), but it’s high time for someone to punch the lazy Pokemon company where it hurts. Few recent Pokemon games set the bar so low, people are willing to pay money even for a indie survival with familiar designs. At least in Palworld trees are actually rendering on the horizon.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Concluding my chat with Cotton, I noted that Palworld giving its Pokémon equivalents guns might be especially provocative for Nintendo, who avoid featuring firearms - and certainly not real-world firearms - in their games. I wondered whether this might make it harder for Nintendo to bring a case of copyright infringement, because after all, everybody knows that Pokémon don't wield assault rifles, and as such, Pals are very decidedly not Pokémon. Cotton suggested, however, that this could get Pocketpair into hot water on another front.

Actually, that could potentially be a ground for them to sue them," he said. "That they are distorting [people's impressions of Pokémon], because of the similarity to Pokémon, although not a direct copy of it, they're almost implying that Pokémon are happy to endorse the gun culture that Pals are doing. That could be an avenue for Nintendo to go down to sue them."

JackMcGunns

Imagine being the type of person who emails a Multi-billion dollar company and asks them to investigate a significantly smaller company because your butt hurt their game uses a similar art style and is more fun to play than the shit the Multi-billion dollar company gives you.

Summary in a nutshell lol

ebevan91

thirs means palworld getting the crud sued out of thems

nintendo must take over pokemon from POKEMON COMPANY they are crud

I'd love for Nintendo to take it over and develop the games themselves. Let TPC still design shit like Pokemon, characters, etc. but let Nintendo put it together.

SCB3

People are reading way too much into this by calling it "drama". This is just a polite way of saying, "no comment, stop contacting us."
Exactly, they have to look into any claims to protect their own IP, if there is nothing there at all then they won't do anything

CeeJay

The Alpha move here would be for Nintendo to approach Pocket Pair with an idea for Pokemon World and get them to reskin the game on the proviso that they take down Palworld.

Well TPC, that's what you get for rehashing old shit for years. Now someone has the balls (pun intended) to innovate and its PANIC!!!!!

Yeah fuck TPC and Nintendo and all the haters.
Now we wait for a carbon copy of Fifa with new features and watch EA have a meltdown too.

I hope that this happens more often. A wake-up call for lazy devs to get of their ass and fucking innovate!!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Palworld was announced years ago and if Pokemon Company had a solid case it would’ve been in the court already.

I don’t have a horse in this fight (tho we’ve finished Palworld in 3 days on our ds and the second half of the game fell apart), but it’s high time for someone to punch the lazy Pokemon company where it hurts. Few recent Pokemon games set the bar so low, people are willing to pay money even for a indie survival with familiar designs. At least in Palworld trees are actually rendering on the horizon.

Youve "Finished" palworld in 3 days? the game snot even finished lol. ALso, what kind of strange speed run did you guys do? Im obsessed ever day and I haven't even remotely scoured the islands yet.

Or are you saying theres some boss that you can go fight and say..."right ive beaten the 5 bosses so ive finished the game" is it that kind of thing?

Tsaki

This will be fascinating. If The Pokemon Company sues/wins there will be HUUUGEE financial repercussions for the Palworld studio since they sold so many units and had so many people engaged with the IP and buzz around it. If they lose/not sue, it gives opportunities for pretty much everyone else to ape and copy Pokemon designs from that point forward.

7pJYKrY.jpg

ManaByte

Gold Member

Concluding my chat with Cotton, I noted that Palworld giving its Pokémon equivalents guns might be especially provocative for Nintendo, who avoid featuring firearms - and certainly not real-world firearms - in their games. I wondered whether this might make it harder for Nintendo to bring a case of copyright infringement, because after all, everybody knows that Pokémon don't wield assault rifles, and as such, Pals are very decidedly not Pokémon. Cotton suggested, however, that this could get Pocketpair into hot water on another front.

Actually, that could potentially be a ground for them to sue them," he said. "That they are distorting [people's impressions of Pokémon], because of the similarity to Pokémon, although not a direct copy of it, they're almost implying that Pokémon are happy to endorse the gun culture that Pals are doing. That could be an avenue for Nintendo to go down to sue them."

If they sue I look forward to Square Enix owning the Pokemon IP after they sue for Nintendo stealing DragonQuest designs.

Top Bottom