• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The power of Ray Tracing

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Not sure where exactly you mean if you can timestamp it, but it's a pre-alpha footage and with further polish it should avoid such issues.

There are are lights pop-in going to the tunnel, that's the only one I've noticed so far.
2:02 U CAN SEE SHADOW POP UP BELOW THE TEXACO BOARD

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
2:02 U CAN SEE SHADOW POP UP BELOW THE TEXACO BOARD

That's a wonderful catch! Objects tend to render less details as they get further according to the computational budget, and that is true with ray tracing as well as developers could choose the level of details according to how far you are from it. I'll keep an eye for that one, and pre-alpha games tend to have many unpolished details and bugs.

Before the release of the game, expect a refined gameplay demo. So far we don't know when it'll be released.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
That's a wonderful catch! Objects tend to render less details as they get further, and that is true with ray tracing as well as developers could choose the level of details according to how far you are from it. I'll keep an eye for that one, and pre-alpha games tend to have many unpolished details and bugs.

Before the release of the game, expect a refined gameplay demo. So far we don't know when it'll be released.
SEE THE THING IS .....THAT SHADOW POP IN IS VISIBLE IN MORE INSTANCES IN THE VIDEO.........ITS THE FIRST THING I NOTICED WHEN I SAW THIS VIDEO AT THE REVEAL
ITS AN OLD ISSUE AND INSTEAD OF GETTING RID OF SUCH EYE SORES WE GET A FEATURE LIKE RAY TRACING WHICH BRINGS GPUs DOWN TO THEIR KNEES

SEE THE THING IS .....THAT SHADOW POP IN IS VISIBLE IN MORE INSTANCES IN THE VIDEO.........ITS THE FIRST THING I NOTICED WHEN I SAW THIS VIDEO AT THE REVEAL
ITS AN OLD ISSUE AND INSTEAD OF GETTING RID OF SUCH EYE SORES WE GET A FEATURE LIKE RAY TRACING WHICH BRINGS GPUs DOWN TO THEIR KNEES
Speaking of eyesores, STOP POSTING IN ALL CAPS, IT'S FUCKING OBNOXIOUS.

Ya.

Demo dude #1: I just made the awesomest looking volcano in UE5

Demo dude #2: I just made a human face so perfect nobody can tell it's made on PC

Gamers: Ok, what about gameplay, physics, AI, different game modes, destruction, big maps, open ended vs linear levels, online mode with 64 other gamers, audio and accurately lip syncing it, animations and how it all comes together so it looks right?

Demo dudes: Duhhhhhhhh
Current games

ps3 port beyond 2 souls

jbvENA.png

ps4 last of us 2
OuEgkLk.png

The-Last-of-Us-Part-II_2019_09-26-19_002.jpg

MYanrmd.jpg

2y3B3qo.jpg

sATEyRj.jpg

He flushed alot of his videos and his website but trust me VXGI is NOT going to be running on PS5 and his demos wouldnt work as a game on said console.
I dont know why we are still talking about this?
The problem is you seem to be implying vxgi is magic sauce, and an equally as good voxel illumination can't be implemented on amd cards.

Again there's no technical reason why a technique as impressive or even more impressive than vxgi can't run on amd cards.
Rumor is they're targetting 4k 120fps with ray tracing.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
The problem is you seem to be implying vxgi is magic sauce, and an equally as good voxel illumination can't be implemented on amd cards.

Again there's no technical reason why a technique as impressive or even more impressive than vxgi can't run on amd cards.

like in DIRT5?

like in DIRT5?
I think dirt 5 lacks ray tracing in 120fps. It looks like crap and it dips into the 50 fps from time to time. Polyphony if they target 120fp will have excellent graphics and solid 120fps framerate.
“Rather than a spatial resolution that you’re talking about, I’m more interested in the advancements we can make in terms of the time resolution. In terms of frames per second, rather than staying at 60 fps, I’m more interested in raising it to 120 fps or even 240 fps. I think that’s what’s going to be changing the experience from here on forward.” -Yamauchi

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Actually 4K@240Hz for PSVR2, 4K@120Hz per eye, but with much graphics sacrifices. 120Hz probably for FiA competitions as well.

GT is pretty massive, like FIFA for football.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
by the way the UNREAL ENGINE 5 demo was really impressive due to the lack of any pop up

Yes, thanks to PS5's Geometry Engines and Primitive shaders. Not all engines are optimized to take full advantage of PS5 perks, so expect this as a transition period, with better output going forward.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Because every time Epic releases new UE engine demo videos every 5 years, console gamers and PC riggers dream about "would, could, should" that kind of fidelity come to my games anytime soon.

Full featured games at demo video visual fidelity.

You don't know how many times I cringe at the words "can you imagine?" We have some legit dreamers on these boards. It's quite funny especially when we wait and wait and wait and nothing comes out.

Actually 4K@240Hz for PSVR2, 4K@120Hz per eye, but with much graphics sacrifices. 120Hz probably for FiA competitions as well.

GT is pretty massive, like FIFA for football.

One can only wish for 4K @240fps. Maybe one day in the future. Definitely not something with any bit of fidelity. If PC can't even do it, ps5 definitely can't.

Ray Tracing is useless just like 8k. It takes too much resources and the difference is minor. Hdr is the biggest step.
It´s only useless if you don`t have the hardware power to actually use it for what it makes sense....
If all games suddenly had fully raytraced GI that would be an incredible jump in graphical fidelity.......and would at least triple the min-requirements.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
One can only wish for 4K @240fps. Maybe one day in the future. Definitely not something with any bit of fidelity. If PC can't even do it, ps5 definitely can't.

Ever heard of potato fidelity? Those VR games usually have way lower graphics. But it's an official word, could just mean 240Hz instead for 120Hz per eye for VR, not necessarily 240fps..

Despite the game being used by Sony to tease the future of 8K resolution, Gran Turismo Sport producer Kazunori Yamauchi says he would rather push the limits of frame rate to as high as 240 frames per second.

Could be PS5 Pro as well.

The 8K@120Hz, HDR, RT teaser:

That's an equivalent of 4K@480Hz btw. They're not joking, they're doing something.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Could be PS5 Pro as well.

The 8K@120Hz, HDR, RT teaser:

That's an equivalent of 4K@240Hz btw. They're not joking, they're doing something.

So the PS5 Pro - which is declared a thing on these boards - will suddenly jump the power curve to RTX 3090 realm - and in 3yrs? Can we all establish some kind of bounds here for consoles? It just seems like you guys talk about the consoles (or near future ones) like they have unlimited power and can jump 7yrs in technology in 3yrs. We are talking about AMD here - who is consistently behind the curve on technological advances compared to Nvidia. We are also talking about money here and length of design. If I had a 3090-like hardware for a PS5 Pro already (surely it's already well into design phase from AMD engineers), I wouldn't waste time on releasing the base PS5.

base

Banned
It´s only useless if you don`t have the hardware power to actually use it for what it makes sense....
If all games suddenly had fully raytraced GI that would be an incredible jump in graphical fidelity.......and would at least triple the min-requirements.
Yeah cause everyone got rtx 3090. It takes many years to implent new features. Ray tracing is bad choice. Not if you want to use it with 4k res. Hdr makes much more sense, it appeared suddenly just a few years ago and the difference is noticable. It doesn't take any resources. The only problem is that it has to be implemented from the beginning into a game. Otherwise you will get poor results or just cheating like with auto hdr used by microsoft in xbox series x.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
So the PS5 Pro - which is declared a thing on these boards - will suddenly jump the power curve to RTX 3090 realm - and in 3yrs? Can we all establish some kind of bounds here for consoles? It just seems like you guys talk about the consoles (or near future ones) like they have unlimited power and can jump 7yrs in technology in 3yrs. We are talking about AMD here - who is consistently behind the curve on technological advances compared to Nvidia. We are also talking about money here and length of design. If I had a 3090-like hardware for a PS5 Pro already (surely it's already well into design phase from AMD engineers), I wouldn't waste time on releasing the base PS5.
ps5 pro is a thing?

Yes. Some of the objects look very real, but the full image still looks decidedly CG to me.

Well that is fine but I had meant to point out that the last 3 samples were comparison's shot completely in real life from different samples.
I did that so people would be able to compare Photoreal Take's to actual IRL samples

By the time I realized I forgot to mention this - the 5 minute edit function had come to term and I could not correct it.

Meaning you've cited Real Life footage looks completely CGI. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Who really cares about RTX 3090 for Gran Turismo? Is it some kinda god that you need permission from to aim for your own goals? I might upgrade to big navi or RTX 3090, but that doesn't mean that NVIDIA nor AMD need to justify the money I paid by blocking console evolvement. You may draw the line for yourself, but Play Has No Limits! :messenger_sunglasses:

Also you may contact Sony and ask them to draw the line and never tease an 8K@120Hz, HDR, RT video again. Also tell Kazunori Yamauchi to be humble and shuts the fuck up.

tenor.gif

Don't forget to click on the actual photos guys so you can see the low res normal maps and textures.
Yes, I put the games on 4k TV and they look ace, but if you look under a microscopes there could be sharper detail.

You know there's a limit to the amount of detail someone can discern at reasonable viewing distances. Having a 32k texture is just a waste of resources if it can't be perceived.

Many people put games at very high, and then at ultra and do a side by side and can't tell the difference. Doing excessive rendering for no reason, is just a waste of resources. Heavily tesselating a flat surface, or putting a texture sharper than necessary just so some can do e-peen competitions is a waste of time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well that is fine but I had meant to point out that the last 3 samples were comparison's shot completely in real life from different samples.
I did that so people would be able to compare Photoreal Take's to actual IRL samples

By the time I realized I forgot to mention this - the 5 minute edit function had come to term and I could not correct it.

Meaning you've cited Real Life footage looks completely CGI. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Ok, to be honest I only looked at the first 2 or 3.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Yes, I put the games on 4k TV and they look ace, but if you look under a microscopes there could be sharper detail.

You know there's a limit to the amount of detail someone can discern at reasonable viewing distances. Having a 32k texture is just a waste of resources if it can't be perceived.

Many people put games at very high, and then at ultra and do a side by side and can't tell the difference. Doing excessive rendering for no reason, is just a waste of resources. Heavily tesselating a flat surface, or putting a texture sharper than necessary just so some can do e-peen competitions is a waste of time.

Higher res textures and normal maps will always be discernable. Go take a look at Crysis Remake 8k textures and compare them to any other game's 4k textures.

Moving from one mode to the next is supposed to be gradual. It's called having a very scalable graphics engine. The excessive rendering you speak of doesn't exist. The cost of rendering does. Getting anything to have a better approximation is going to cost compute power.

Ok, to be honest I only looked at the first 2 or 3.
Ok, but you also honestly said - after being asked again juuuust to be sure - that in fact ALL of them looked CGI.

I mean, so if we're being honest - I think it's fair make that point.

Moving forward,

It's obvious all the examples I've given are examples of prime photorealism.

There is a stark difference between Photoreal Immersion and Photorealism. Photoreal Immersion mean's at no point will the person/s viewing the sample believe they are not looking at Film Footage. Photorealism does not have this trait. Immersion in Photorealism can be easily hindered/broken/lost with bad camera work. Full Immersion Based Photorealism - or Photoreal Immersion - is something entirely different, as the audience stay's immersed the entire time the example is on display and does not believe they are for a moment looking at computer rendered graphics.

The sample's I've provided are inarguably photoreal, take 6 second's of any of them with perfect camera work - curated and custom picked so that immersion is not lost and true photorealism is what 100% of all user's will cite has been achieved - if they're being honest.

Last edited:

base

Banned
8k120fps, rt, ps5 series x for everyone, pizza included and delivered by Lisa Su in person. Huge expectations going to be verified with 9 tflops. Meanwhile 3080 is almost 3 times faster and still can't provide 4k120, still just 4k60fps.

HFW has never been verified to have RT. So your lack of knowledge is as good as mine eh? Also, never has there been any RT showcase of DS despite them saying it will have RT. So .. look in the mirror.

HFW is an educated guess considering the string of Sony exclusives with RT launching next-gen. It's rare for them not to have it compared to how common it's for them to have it aka the probability is very high. You're not playing the Vegas odds right to claim otherwise. As for Demon Souls it's said to have it on fidelity mode - case closed for me. You can die on that stake if you want until "you see it" - which is more a projection of principled posturing to avoid looking totally dumb on yet another point within that stupid post. That Ratchet burn however... amateur hour. There is no way to downplay that foolishness of a post... no matter your spin.

I'm not an authority on the subject nor do I claim to be. Just your regular Joe with a good pair of eyes to spot BS and trolls. And I'm usually right on the money.

TestyLeftEasteuropeanshepherd-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

base

Banned
The year is 2150. Nvidia have just released a patch for tetris to show the beauty of the true RT technology. Stay tuned. Pacman in rt is coming shortly!

P.s: million presentations, months of waiting for a patch (metro exodus). And? Where is that RT. I see shit. Maybe it appears only during the night. Must be my low contrast ips monitor!

Top Bottom