• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "return" of Final Fantasy X (PS3, VITA) still in early sevelopment stages

Status
Not open for further replies.
FF XII is still hated on in the west mostly for the battle system

What? If anything XII is the only FF that can appeal to the west these days. The aesthetic is far closer to what gamers prefer over here. Anime is so 90's/early 2000's, hence why FFVII, VIII, and X did so well back then.

Random battles, Wakka, shit story, Wakka, Meg Ryan, Wakka, HA HA HA, Wakka, Yuna dressing like a granny and Wakka are better than FF XII?

I can do this too.

Boring Battles that play themselves, pointless skill system, Vann, story that falls apart, Vann, Ashe dressing like a hooker, Vann, "we recorded this in a closest" sound quailty, overly long last dungeon, HAHA look at our 1st grade understanding of politics!, and Vann.

I think those are the usual FFXII complaints.

Anteater

I remember seeing this photo for the first time when it released. I remember how utterly hyped I was.

I agree though. I totally should have darker hair. He'd be less girly methinks.

Yea his hair was awesome in the trailer, it even animates! His hair was always so perfect and static even in water in the final version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72vckLXI7x4

so good

Edit: The clothes animates too :lol, no wonder I was disappointed with the final game's graphics, I believed everything I see back then!

cj_iwakura

I wasn't a big fan of X or X-2, but X-2 certainly had a fun battle system(and great music).

Didn't care much for the stories.

DR2K

Banned
FFXIII has made me appreciate and love all the FF games on the PS2, except for the online turd. That's not really a FF game anyways.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I can do this too.

Boring Battles that play themselves, pointless skill system, Vann, story that falls apart, Vann, Ashe dressing like a hooker, Vann, "we recorded this in a closest" sound quailty, overly long last dungeon, HAHA look at our 1st grade understanding of politics!, and Vann.

I think those are the usual FFXII complaints.

How is that negative?

The last dungeon, if you're referring to the lighthouse, was far too long, I'll give you that.

FFXIII has made me appreciate and love all the FF games on the PS2, except for the online turd. That's not really a FF game anyways.

FFXI is just as much a FF as any other. Hardly a turd. It has far more interesting stories then most FF games and a good portion of the music is great. It's a stylings have way more in common with older FF games then any of the recent main ones.

How is that negative?
I don't know,mbut people usually bring up how stupid she looks. I also don't think Yuna dresses like a granny.

What? If anything XII is the only FF that can appeal to the west these days. The aesthetic is far closer to what gamers prefer over here. Anime is so 90's/early 2000's, hence why FFVII, VIII, and X did so well back then.

And yet an exorbitant amount of Western players loathed XII's aesthetic. Guess it won't work either.

DR2K

Banned
FFXI is just as much a FF as any other. Hardly a turd. It has far more interesting stories then most FF games and a good portion of the music is great. It's a stylings have way more in common with older FF games then any of the recent main ones.

Only it was an MMORPG and not an JRPG, which all FF are and were.

Seda

I know this is a bit naive to say, but is there anyone else on the board besides me who really liked both FFX and FFXII? I certainly feel like the only one anyway.

Edit: I really liked X-2 too, but it's a notch below these two.

RDreamer

I know this is a bit naive to say, but is there anyone else on the board besides me who really liked both FFX and FFXII? I certainly feel like the only one anyway.

I loved them both. I actually love all the FFs. Even XI. And XIII.

Alrus

FFX has topped 3 Famitsu polls at this point. All of which, FFVII and VIII also appeared on. When they release this, they're practically guaranteed 1 million units in the first week.

Not saying FF X isn't popular in Japan (because it is, Yuna is probably the most beloved character in a Final fantasy game there), but Famitsu polls are not a good way to estimate sales potential.

Levyne

Banned
If the remake or "up-port" one of the games, large chance of the same for the others I'd imagine.

Me, but I usually find some enjoyment out of every single game I play. Not easily unimpressed or super passionate to feel too negatively about aspects I don't like I guess.

Though obviously I'll replay the entries I really liked (IV, VI, X, XII) and just remember the good moments of those I didn't so much (IX, XIII)

I doubt you are the only one. I also like X and XII. I sure don't like X-2 though.

Was FF popular because of the rise of anime? Or was the rise of anime because of FF? I think the 2nd is more likely. I think it's a slippery slope when we start to make generalizations about what gamers like and don't like. How do we measure such a thing? Sure seemingly realistic things are popular as seen in CoD and even with the success of Skyrim, but I don't think that means Western gamers will turn a blind eye to games like FF because of its look. First I think it's wrong to say FF looks like anime. No FF has it's own look and it's kind of like Tekken in that it's art design is appealing to both. If anything FFs problem is who it decides to use as a face of the series. Main characters like Vann won't cut it here.

Mxrz

I did. I generally like each FF game, for different reasons. 12 is just my favorite due to the more open'ish world, exploration, plot, treasure hunting, battle system, and so on. - There are vocal people on the internet that hate on it, yeah. But I never put much stock into that stuff. The only that really bugs me is when they arrogantly try to dismiss the game for everyone, call it complete trash, etc. Even moreso if they're the types that didn't know about the series before 7. But meh.

XII better get the same treatment. And they better not Kitase it up.

Sort of afraid now.

Series never seemed that 'anime'ish util 7. Maybe I'm wrong.

Aeana

I like all of the FF games.

P90

Darn. I was hoping it was a FF IX remake. :( That said, I'll be getting this when I get around to buying a Vita.

Seda

I liked all 3 games on the ps2. Never played X-2 though.

I loved them both. I actually love all the FFs. Even XI. And XIII.

Me, but I usually find some enjoyment out of every single game I play.

I doubt you are the only one. I also like X and XII. I sure don't like X-2 though.

I did. I generally like each FF game, for different reasons.

I like all of the FF games.

Haha I see, I just see so much FFX vs FFXII that I was getting curious.

Levyne

Banned
Sort of afraid now.

I'd say Nomura's designs are a bit more similar to "typicial anime"*

*I'm speaking very very generally.

Seda said:
Haha I see, I just see so much FFX vs FFXII that I was getting curious.

Well they are very different, ripe for comparison. More likely to get players who vastly like one type of game over the other. Combine that with internet opinion polarization and voila.

Also isn't multiquote great?

DR2K

Banned
MMORPGS are still RPGs and since it's Japanese it's thus a jrpg. And since FF games are always different I don't see a problem here.

Cool no real main characters, good character driven cut-scenes, took forever to progress and cost $15 a month. Being the bent fork in the set will always be a problem.

Squire

Banned
Not saying FF X isn't popular in Japan (because it is, Yuna is probably the most beloved character in a Final fantasy game there), but Famitsu polls are not a good way to estimate sales potential.

I only meant to use the polls to support the game's popularity. It'll sell over a mil regardless of them.

Anteater

Sort of afraid now.

They've always looked anime-ish if you consider the chibi-ness of the sprites, it's just that the concept art they used were a bit different, and even then I think it resembles some of the 90s animes.

Bukana

GWadR.jpg

But seriously, I hope they fix the three faces Tidus has in the game.

Wow, thanks for ruining it for me, can't unsee.

Mxrz

Amano (I think?) had a more Western style, didn't he? Not really knowledgeable enough to say where it falls on the anime-line. I have the FF3/6 strategy guide somewhere that is just full of all this great art. I should go find it someday.

Bukana

FFX perfected the traditional slow-paced style of any other game, and the leveling system is unique and well designed.

FFXII brought a new battle system that it was ahead of its time, which made lots of people hate it , including me; however, after giving it a second shot with playing over five hours, it is the most fun, genius, well designed characters in a game that I've ever played. The story might be boring and forgettable, but the characters and their voices are just charming. Not to mention the leveling system and the many large environments and little stories thrown in every city.

Beth Cyra

Again, I am really tired of seeing this.

This is the one and only thing that FF XIII activily disproves.

XIII launched very well and went on to sell well. Sadly the reception afterwords was negative in a lot of places, however the majority of said reaction was NOT because how the characters looked, but because of how the game was made.

The Nomura/Anime esk look can and does still appeal to the west, at least to the western FF fan and while the Anime scene has dried up alot there is still plenty huge and successful anime that do, do very well in the west.

Don't get me wrong, I have defended XII plenty of times and think the game is great. That said this idea that Western people can only really get with a XII esk look simply isn't true based on the evidence we have.

Amano (I think?) had a more Western style, didn't he? Not really knowledgeable enough to say where it falls on the anime-line. I have the FF3/6 strategy guide somewhere that is just full of all this great art. I should go find it someday.

Amano had a more artistic style to his designs. That said Amano is one of the big influences on Anime given his work on D and even alot of his characters have a very feminie esk look when it comes to the males. So no, Amano certainly wasn't really western.

If we ignore Cloud, then maybe. She certainly is one of the top, and easily the top female now.

Well... wasn't a fair bit of the bg in FFX prerendered? Curious how they approach that stuff.

And FFX and FFXIII shares a lot more in stuff imo. hmmm...

Levyne

Banned
Well... wasn't a fair bit of the bg in FFX prerendered? Curious how they approach that stuff.

And FFX and FFXIII shares a lot more in stuff imo. hmmm...

I mentioned this is another thread. I liked FFX and didn't like XIII too much. Someone inevitably points out the similarities, but I can't explain why I like FFX much more than XIII.

StuBurns

Banned
I mentioned this is another thread. I liked FFX and didn't like XIII too much. Someone inevitably points out the similarities, but I can't explain why I like FFX much more than XIII.

There was a long time between the two, maybe your tastes changed.

StuBurns

Banned
But I replay FFX every 3 years or so :/

It might be that you really feel differently about them, or it could be that replaying a game you loved initially has a nostalgia attached to it that playing a modern game doesn't.

More than most series I think FF is that way, most people seem to think their first FF is the best, that has to be the influence of nostalgia for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom