• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rise and Fall of Infamous

Zannegan

I loved Second Son. Haven't played Ghost yet, but, as good as it is, I'm not sure it can live up.

I know GoT is supposed to be amazing in many ways, but traversal is, no joke, one of the most compelling aspects of a game for me. Second Son had not just one, but three, great methods of moving through the environment. Concrete kinda blew, it's true, but I still dream of what moving around with paper power could look like. Le sigh...

Idk but I feel Infamous 2 had a better power progression compared to the multiple powers of Second Son. Mission structure and plot overall were better in Infamous 2, but not presentation, on that aspect, Second Son wins by a landslide.

I think if SuckerPunch really wants to revisit the franchise at some point, then a reboot would not be a bad idea. Flash out Cole's character better before the whole bomb incident, make Zeke's presence more meaningful, make Cole fight with his decisions of assuming the role of a hero or supervillain besides the power fantasy aspect, expand the world or change Empire City altogether (I hated the fucking brown pallet and the lack of environmental diversity, even for buildings). The studio has a lot more experience under their belt now, so I believe they can turn things up to eleven and make an awesome franchise out of the Infamous concept but they need to start it anew.

ethomaz

Banned
Second Son is by far the best inFamous game. It's one of the best looking PS4 games and was a launch game. It was so far above previous Sucker Punch games that as soon as I played it I knew Ghost of Tsushima would be a masterpiece. It looks better than FFXV visually. The voice acting and facial capture for me are better than The Last of Us, since Troy Baker actually sounds like a natural character instead of a forced accent. The neon power, video power, smoke power - they're far, far cooler than anything in the previous games.

Headline correction: "The Triumph of inFamous SS after a full gen of mediocrity."
Second Son is really not that good.
It is a shell of the the original.

Trogdor1123

Those games were great. 1 was my favourite but only as it was new, the other two are awesome too. We need another! I need to finally play the expansion too. Always forget about it

graywolf323

I'd love an Infamous collection or a new one, it's one of the very few series that I've beaten all the games in (except the vampire spin-off, I still need to get back to that one which a collection would help with since I wouldn't have to drag out my PS3)

and I'm usually pretty bad at actually finishing games thanks to unmedicated ADHD

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Loved the first one, didn't enjoy the second one that much (I played it much later) and haven't played Second Son yet.

Also, is the First Light game worth playing?
If you had PS+ for years you might have First Light as a standalone. It's a prequel so it won't affect the Second Son story should you want to play it later. The map is the same for both so you'll get a feel of the game without buying.

Fbh

2 is still my favorite.

1 was ok but it was rather ugly and IMO they could have done more with the powers since the gameplay was little more than a basic third person shooter with an electricity skin on it.
2 was awesome, they improved the combat a lot, added colors beyond grey and brown, expanded the powers in great ways that made it feel like more than just a shooter and it was overall just a ton of fun.
Second Son felt rushed. The visuals were awesome but the powers felt very lacking, it was really short (one of the few games were the credits started rolling and I was left like "wait, that's it?" ) and the side content was horrible.

Would still love to see the franchise return

Last edited:
InFamous had a "fall"? They're all really good.

The only thing going against InFamous is that SuckerPunch wanted to try creating something different and it ended up being extremely successful, which means that franchise is likely to get their attention for a while.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Considering the success of Second Son (like 2.5-3x the sales of Infamous 2), you realised how clickbaity and wrong the premise was, right? Quota of Sony negative news on the front page was going to be missing for this week?
Glad someone else is noticing this as well. The amount of non-news, clickbait articles and shit takes are off the charts.

winjer

Gold Member
I only played the second Infamous on the PS3.
It was fun and I enjoyed it. But I wouldn't consider it a must play for that generation.

kyussman

Playing the first Infamous back in the day was great,it felt pretty fresh......now everything is open world and everything feels tired and played out.I'm very much in jaded gamer mode right now,lol.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I liked Second Son a lot, the feel of that game is just incredible, the combat the traversal, really too notch. And one of the first PS4 games to truly feel next gen. It does suffer from some launch-window-itis, a pretty small map, and short run time. But it deserved a bigger better sequel it never got.

It also lost a bit of the personality of the first game, and certainly the comic booky alternate world feeling, but it made up for it in a lot of ways.

I think probably the bigger reason we're not seeing more is that it's just been displaced by Insomniac's Spider-Man (and Wolverine) titles. Sony doesn't really need more open world superhero stuff.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Loved the first one, didn't enjoy the second one that much (I played it much later) and haven't played Second Son yet.

Also, is the First Light game worth playing?

First Light was one of the best stand alone "branch off style" games of the PS4 generation.

R6Rider

Gold Member
If you had PS+ for years you might have First Light as a standalone. It's a prequel so it won't affect the Second Son story should you want to play it later. The map is the same for both so you'll get a feel of the game without buying.
Yeah, I did grab it on PS+ when it was available.

I played the first one recently but stopped when I learned I had to gather some kind of orbs around the city to upgrade my power reserves, and theres hundreds of 'em. Yet another open world game that just can't help itself from thinking that players want to play a collect a thon.
That just means it's definitely of it's time. Same with janky 6-8 hour UE3 games, Gears and CoD being used as a template for years to come, developers struggling to adapt to HD graphics, DLC and MTX on the rise, and JRPGs/platformers falling out of grace in the public eye. The 360/PS3 generation was full of growing pains and massive shifts in the industry. When you look back on it, it was kind of a big mess of a generation regardless of the amount of hits it gave us.

Kokoloko85

1st was good. Didnt play the rest. Didnt really like the combat and how the story was told. And was worried GOT combat would suck but it was amazing

If "falling" means going out on a high note with one of the best games of the generation (along with wicked good DLC), then all devs should aspire for their franchises to fall.

Watched the full video and the title doesn't even match with the tone of the video.

The video is a very neutral and factual summary of the development, release reception and success of the franchise overall. It ends on high with I:SS speculating that SuckerPunch could still return to the beloved series.

A great video. Made me really miss the series even more and want a sequel.

And yeah.... fucking hell is InFamous:SS still absolutely stunning even today.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
First game was mid, right down to artificial choice. Save your gf or civilians? LMFAO PSYCHE YOUR GF DIES ANYWAY.

Second game was very good. Actually REALLY liked the vampire DLC. Roast me.

Never played the PS4 games, MC looks like a total hipster cunt.

This channel was real fucking good but all they produce now is "Rise and fall" videos half of which the series never had a fall they just stopped.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'd play another Infamous game. Sony needs to stop sitting around smoking weed and playing video games all day and get to work.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I remember playing the first on ps3 given by plus.

I actually liked it quite a lot. Can't remember if I completed it or only got very far, but I found the protagonists powers pretty cool.

A shame itt kinda got forgotten like killzone.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

0:00 Intro & Series Overview
2:22 Infamous 1 Intro
3:10 Moral Choices & Story
06:41 Powers & Abilities
13:33 Visuals & Music
15:38 The Bad
18:19 The Missions
19:50 Side Missions
22:07 Infamous 2 Intro
25:57 Powers & Abilities
28:14 New Enemies
31:24 Infamous 2 Outro
32:24 Infamous Second Son Intro
34:37 The Premise
35:18 Powers & Abilities
36:46 The Gameplay & The Bad
39:53 Closing Remarks

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I wouldn't say Infamous ever "fell".

The last game -- Infamous Second Son -- which isn't even the best Infamous sold over 6 million copies. That's a success by any metric. Sony just moved on to creating new IPs because that's what they do, and Ghost of Tsushima is now an even bigger success.

I'm sure Infamous will come back again sooner or later.

Star-Lord

Second Son was a technical masterpiece, and remains one of PS4's best games to date. First Light was great, too.

I'd say the series went out on a high.

I never played the first two, but Second Son got me into PS4. I won a contest on Dan Hsu's website (Bitmob, Thanks Shoe!) for a statue and the game. I sold the statue for enough $ for a PS4 and then played through the whole game. Pretty fun, and looked great, but probably wouldn't have finished it if I didn't feel like I owed it. Then I played Destiny 1 for like 4 years straight and barely anything else.
qkIKXh9.jpg

ParaSeoul

Second Son was a technical masterpiece, and remains one of PS4's best games to date. First Light was great, too.

I'd say the series went out on a high.
I enjoyed the gameplay and it has great movement but besides the main missions theres not much to do.

NahaNago

I enjoyed the gameplay and it has great movement but besides the main missions theres not much to do.
Yeah, that was one of the big problems. I also had an issue with how lifeless the world felt. I was really hoping they would fix that after playing a bit of watchdogs 2 and seeing what was possible. Pretty much just a beautiful city, with a stunning light show of abilities, enjoyable gameplay movement, and a main character I found to be annoying. I was really hoping that they would port the other infamous games since I had never played them.

The comparison with ff15 in an earlier post was interesting. Infamous second son did make the fighting and traveling look and feel amazing.

I loved Second Son. Haven't played Ghost yet, but, as good as it is, I'm not sure it can live up.

I know GoT is supposed to be amazing in many ways, but traversal is, no joke, one of the most compelling aspects of a game for me. Second Son had not just one, but three, great methods of moving through the environment. Concrete kinda blew, it's true, but I still dream of what moving around with paper power could look like. Le sigh...
GoT is so much better than any of the Infamous games though. It really isn't close tbh

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Re-release the first two with 4K/120 and higher rez textures on PS5. I'd pay $30 for it easily. Great games.

Give Second Son and First Light proper PS5 patches with unlocked framerates and VRR support

If we ever revisit the IP then SuckerPunch better revamp the gameplay, upgrade path, and mission structure. I don't doubt them in their narrative department after what they showed with Ghost of Tsushima, the team seems a lot more proficient in that regard. Infamous Second Son wasn't a bad game, but its story was just "meh". Delsin wasn't an interesting protagonist, and his punk demeanor felt kind of forced sometimes, not even Reggie, who served as Delsin's moral compass felt that compelling. Too bad the only character they made me care about more was Fetch, who had a brilliant DLC story to her.

The IP has potential, but we need a fresh start again, or a reboot with Cole and Zeke at the forefront.

Soodanim

I loved Infamous. I loved Infamous 2. I even enjoyed the stand-alone DLC.

Didn't get a PS4 though, and I didn't feel like I missed out on that first title where everything was different. Good to know people enjoyed the PS4 game (games?).

I loved Infamous. I loved Infamous 2. I even enjoyed the stand-alone DLC.

Didn't get a PS4 though, and I didn't feel like I missed out on that first title where everything was different. Good to know people enjoyed the PS4 game (games?).
Yeah it was one game with a stand alone expansion (a secondary character from the main game is the main playable character in the expansion).

I eventually got bored of the main gameplay loop, and I remember the city (Seattle) being kind of empty, but other than that I enjoyed the main story and the awesome graphics.

Varteras

Gold Member
Infamous didn't "fall". Sucker Punch made three games in the series, plus two expansions, and then moved on to a new franchise they wanted to work on. They weren't a big enough studio at the time to work on multiple games the way they'd want to. They wanted to make Ghost of Tsushima instead of doing yet another Infamous title. They had been working on the Infamous franchise for almost 10 years. All of the main entries were well received and Second Son was the best selling entry in the series at over 6 million copies. It was THE launch window title for PS4. They did the same thing with Sly Cooper. Worked on three entries and then moved on to something new. A franchise doesn't "fall" because the minds behind it decided they wanted to work on something else after doing the same thing for a decade. And Sony isn't in the business of forcing studios to work on a franchise.

Top Bottom