• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The scariest picture you will ever see (not safe for arachnophobes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
darksquirrel said:
No creepy thinged thread is complete without...

siod_starnosed_mole_04.jpg
Holy shit! Wherever that lives I'll have to add to my list of places to stay the hell away from.

adamsappel said:
Either it's the craziest coincidence ever, or the myth is true. I woke up one morning and had the most incredibly annoying tickling inside my ear. There was also a rustling noise that was very loud. I really thought I might be going insane. I asked my father to look inside my ear, and he shone a flashlight inside. "Oh my god, there's an insect in there!" The bug was attracted to the light and moved up and my dad was able to grab it with tweezers. Now, I don't think it was going to lay eggs in there and they'd eat into my brain, but it was an earwig. Thanks for the heebie-jeebies, I'd almost supressed that memory.

I am never sleeping again.

BobJustBob said:
I am never sleeping again.

It's okay... Earwigs going into your ears are a myth, and that man is a liar.

"The name "earwig" is generally said to originate from an old European belief that earwigs crawl into people's ears and lay eggs in the brain. This etymology is given by the Oxford English Dictionary, which states unequivocally that the name is derived from Old English éare, "ear", and wicga, "insect", "from the notion that it penetrates into the head through the ear." Earwigs do tend to prefer being in hidden places, and this etymology parallels the unambiguous French name perce-oreille ("ear piercer"). Another hypothesis is that the word comes from the Late Latin auricula, owing to the ancient use of pulverized earwigs as medicine to treat diseases of the ear. A third explanation is that it is an alteration of "ear-wing", after the shape of the hind wings when unfolded."

I choose not to believe.

MetalAlien

Banned
I was once eating lunch while laying on the floor in front of TV. I huge spider crawled in front of me but I was really into the TV show so I put my drink cup on top of it.. I would kill it during commerical. :D

Well I guess I was really into that Tv show.. I completely forgot about the gaint spider. I was using one hand to lean on so with the other hand I picked the cup up from underneath.. don't know why I picked it up like that... guess in the back of my mind some part of me remembered the bottom of the cup was somehow important....

As I start to drink I remember what was on the bottom of the cup... (this was a fast food paper cup that has the space on the bottom)..

You can picture what happened next... a lot of screaming and cup throwing...LOL

Yagharek

In an exam in high school there was a huntsman spider hidden between the pages of the exam booklet of the guy sitting next to me. I believe the phrased used was "JESUS F***ING CHRIST" as he jumped over the desk.

Fritz

sonarrat said:
God do I love California. The only big spiders are the daddy longlegs which are totally harmless to humans...

Same here in Europe. Luckily our ancestors managed to extinct every single creature that could somehow do us any harm... *sigh* Thank's greatgrandpa!

NeoGAF

I love this Thread! Spiders are great in my opinion.

One thing I'm not liking is the sudden shriek my Sister gives when she walks past the Computer and catches a glance. She's so damn loud.

Zio

anyone think this guy looks like he's wearing a wig? he kinda looks like jerry garcia. :lol

i actually can't look at this and not see big hair, mustache+beard, and aviator glasses. i'm having a hard time seeing a picture of a spider here. it's so convincing to me that i even questioned if it was photoshopped...

lol makes the picture look so harmless

:lol

Eteric Rice

Zio said:
7812839b.jpg

anyone think this guy looks like he's wearing a wig? he kinda looks like jerry garcia. :lol

i actually can't look at this and not see big hair, mustache+beard, and aviator glasses. i'm having a hard time seeing a picture of a spider here. it's so convincing to me that i even questioned if it was photoshopped...

lol makes the picture look so harmless

:lol

samjacksonpulp-thumb.jpg

/thread

Soul4ger

Centipedes suck. I used to hate spiders, but now I kinda like spiders, just 'cause they kill centipedes. I hate centipedes.

I believe its a camel spider. A really big camel spider.

If you look at it in relation to the sleeve in the left side of the frame, they aren't really THAT big.

Edit - beaten

Teh Hamburglar said:
I believe its a camel spider. A really big camel spider.

It's not THAT big, it's just close to the camera. Look at the hand holding it on the upper right corner, perspective is ****ing with you.

Those things are about the size of a hand, I've seen a lot of those 2 years ago, scary shit, they come out and hide at night and hide in holes during the day.

Emowii

Banned
I honestly cannot look at certain pics in this thread. I just had to scroll past them very quickly. :lol Freak me the f*** out!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I have never had a problem with spiders. Not scared of them at all, but not trying to let one just sit on my ceiling. You gotta knock that shit down before you end up walking into a web.

But roaches are a totally different story. The big ones that fly...I hate those suckers. I hate them to death. If they start flying, I am gone in the other direction with the speed of The Flash.

Drewsy

Banned
Something interesting I found on Wikipedia about camel spiders:

Online videos indicate that U.S. Marines sometimes place camel spiders in a ring with scorpions to watch them fight.

I'm going to blow the next half hour scouring the internet for this.

EDIT: oh my god...

They are fast on land compared to other invertebrates, the fastest can run perhaps 10 miles per hour (16 km/h), about as fast as a human sprinting.

D:

Yagharek

Apparently theyre not actually spiders (the camel spiders mentioned). But they are still arachnids, but from a separate orderto scorpions and spiders. :)

I'd love to see one of the ****ers running.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom