• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The sequel to The Last Story (Mistwalker) has been released [Spoilers!]

Pooya

terrible title, it was just so obvious what it was going to be, you could do a lot better for a much more punchy impact, Like TLS sequel announced or similar, the title is too long and 'Spoiler!' is unnecessary.

2/10 disappointing, missed potential.

I was under the impression that the rights of The Last Story properties were owned by Nintendo for a while, but Sakaguchi joked (?) about making a TLS sequel for PS4.

Incidentally, I want to keep an open mind about Terra Battle, but the circumstances aren't helping. It's beyond me why they would region lock a game like this.
The scan (I think it's a scan?) mentions on the bottom that the IP belongs to "© 2011 Nintendo/Mistwalker" unless that only refers to the original game and not the IP

Fandangox

I'm pretty surprised Nintendo doesn't own the IP.

But I guess that was clear when they let XSeed publish in America.

But the first link still has the (C) for Nintendo and Mistwalker, so its probable that Nintendo just let them do it since its not like they are gonna use the IP anyway and they are already getting into mobile.

udivision

iuhFxpYG6sPiP.gif

duckroll

If anyone bothered to click on the link in the OP, they would have seen this:

*The Last Story™, developed exclusively for Wii®, was created by Hironobu Sakaguchi, and his studio, Mistwalker, in conjunction with Nintendo. The Last Story is a role-playing game that has players taking charge of a band of mercenaries and journeying with them into a sprawling cinematic adventure.

©2011 Nintendo/MISTWALKER

L Thammy

The scan (I think it's a scan?) mentions on the bottom that the IP belongs to "© 2011 Nintendo/Mistwalker" unless that only refers to the original game and not the IP

The NA box shows copyright by Nintendo/Mistwalker, published by XSeed. So the individual game is partially owned by Nintendo, I guess.

Verendus

Banned
I don't think mobile gaming is a competitor. To be fair, I don't think mobile gaming is taking away something. When Breath of Fire 6 is announced for mobile, I think that in any case, it wouldn't have existed. Which is much of the same.
That's your opinion, and you have the right to say that. Love it or hate it, I'm going to respect it.

Boney

Banned
I always thought Nintendo owned the ip. Guess not? Or are they just cool with this?

Yeah well I never played it so uhh mix of indifference and not wanting to get spoiled

Ehhh....I don't think this necessarily confirms that a true sequel is never going to happen, this is just a conclusion to the first game's story. I always figured a sequel would use an entirely new setting, systems and characters like FF does.

On another note, is Terra Battle any good?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
http://www.terra-battle.com/en/news/2015/04/201504232015531.html

7v8F4lt.jpg

Now before anyone says "omg ducktroll fuck him!!!", this special quest event is an actual sequel to The Last Story. The writer for Terra Battle (Masaru Hatano) is also the writer for The Last Story, so is the character designer and composer. Not only does this quest take place after the ending of The Last Story, but it continues the story for all the main party members, has quite a lot of story text between the 10 battles, and depending on how you tackle the various battles it branches into 4 possible endings.

The story in the event starts by recapping the story and ending in the previous game, and continues to spoil major events as the story progresses and characters recall what happened on their previous adventure. Did Zael and Calista find happiness together? Does the Outsider still have plans for Zael? What happened to Syrenne, Yurick, Lowell, and Mirania after the story ended?

You can find out all this and more! Just download Terra Battle on the App Store or Google Play Store and experience the next generation JRPG from the father of Final Fantasy!!!!!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/terra-battle/id888628623
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mistwalkercorp.guardians

Okay now you can say "omg ducktroll fuck him!!!"

duckroll y u hate us D:

seeing how Xenoblade 3D turned out I want The Last Story 3D now. D: (could care less about the 3D but do want it on the New3DS.)

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Ehhh....I don't think this necessarily confirms that a true sequel is never going to happen, this is just a conclusion to the first game's story. I always figured a sequel would use an entirely new setting, systems and characters like FF does.

Yes, download it so we can get a console version.
... it's got really nice music.

We only need 200k more.

Cross promotion is kind of what Nintendo wants to do on mobile, so I'd like to see that.
Tried Terra Battle on android, didn't care much for it, but people seem to like it

ash_ag

This copyright refers to The Last Story game (which is referred in the news post), not necessarily the entire IP or the character rights. Though I suppose it's not hard to imagine Nintendo letting it slide regardless.

Faustek

DENA? Or how you spell it. Anyway, I don't get it.

This copyright refers to The Last Story game (which is referred in the news post), not necessarily the entire IP or the character rights. Though I suppose it's not hard to imagine Nintendo letting it slide regardless.

Similar with MS. Ok for handhelds but not another competitors home console.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I was always under the impression that Nintendo owned The Last Story, can we with this game, assume that it was wrong? Or was the game possible only thanks to Nintendos new policy towards mobiles?

Edit: Beaten soundly I see.

Terra Battle was cool and all but the battle system required too much attention for a mobile game. I like my mobile games to damn near play themselves unless it's a puzzle game. Besides,i only have room in my heart for one mobile jrpg, and FFRK has taken that spot.
Still. I might hop in and see if I can tackle any of this content.

My theory is like others and that it had to go through Nintendo to get their approval and as Pokemon earlier showed, this isn't new territory, even without mentioning DeNA.

It's like Roger Rabbit, apparently Disney AND Steven Spielberg have to come to a mutual agreement for the character to be used.

anaron

terra battle is so much fun and the music is easily one of my favourite VG osts in recent years

can't wait to check this out

duckroll

Terra Battle was cool and all but the battle system required too much attention for a mobile game. I like my mobile games to damn near play themselves unless it's a puzzle game. Besides,i only have room in my heart for one mobile jrpg, and FFRK has taken that spot.
Still. I might hop in and see if I can tackle any of this content.

So you didn't like it because it was actually a game? :p

Top Bottom