• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The sequel to The Last Story (Mistwalker) has been released [Spoilers!]

faridmon

I thought it was pretty mediocre. I was fooled by people hyping it saying it was almost as good as Xenoblade. As if.

Well, its your own fault.
How can you compare between two games where one is clearly is ore enjoyable than the other.
Xenoblade though was close enough

Jawmuncher

Why is it a timed event? I haven't played TLS yet but I won't beat it by the time this is up.
Oh well guess i'll just read it.

Astral Dog

I thought it was pretty mediocre. I was fooled by people hyping it saying it was almost as good as Xenoblade. As if.
The game is very different from Xenoblade, but its not bad, direct comprasions are difficult because its comparing apples to oranges, while a very unpolished experience, it remains one of my favorite Wii games.

This is just sad, at least they are doing something with it i guess, at the very least its going to have new character artwork.

The game is very different from Xenoblade, but its not bad, direct comprasions are difficult because its comparing apples to oranges, while a very unpolished experience, it remains one of my favorite Wii games.

This is just sad, at least they are doing something with it i guess, at the very least its going to have new character artwork.

I was kind of amazed with how much the city in The Last Story felt like Florence from Assassin's Creed 2, but done on Wii hardware.

I mean you didn't get to go on roofs so you didn't get to put the draw distance to the test, but it really felt like it was pushing the Wii pretty well.

Justinh

when I saw the title, I was a little upset because I still haven't finished The Last Story.

But then...

but then.

This kinda reminds me of Final Fantasy 4, how its sequel was released on mobile devices. But it was released on Wii shortly after iirc. I don't know anything about Terra Battle, but it doesn't look like it'd fare too well on home consoles to me.

edit:I bet this is just a mobile crossover because they're really too busy making a Lost Odyssey sequel, right? Tell me that's what's happening.
Mother****! I will shake the **** outta you!

Terra Battle is super awesome and this cross-over is pretty neat, I LOVED The Last Story.

Sadly, I'm not leveled up enough to play it, maybe I can obsess play for the next few weeks to get there, but I'm enjoying playing the game at a casual pace.

They mentioned Nintendo several times on the live stream this morning.

Somebody that can understand Japanese will need to translate/summarize what was said though, heh.

Oregano

That's not an unheard of scenario.

For example, FEAR's name was owned by Vivendi, but Warner owned the IP when they acquired Monotlih: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.E.A.R._2:_Project_Origin#Development

The same was true of Microsoft and Mass Effect's name.

All speculation but judging from stuff like Fire Emblem and Kirby Nintendo has equal ownership with developers. So whilst Mistwalker probably had to get Nintendo's ok for this stuff the reverse would have been true too.

Then again Dyack seemed to be under the impression they could make Eternal Darkness 2 on PS3/360.

Neo Dark

This copyright refers to The Last Story game (which is referred in the news post), not necessarily the entire IP or the character rights. Though I suppose it's not hard to imagine Nintendo letting it slide regardless.

There's a reason the link you posted earlier had Sakaguchi telling people to ask Nintendo. Because Nintendo owns the IP. It's also why it's called a collaboration event. They had to go to Nintendo and get permission. But since Nintendo's been a bit lenient lately, it's no surprise that it got approved.

And I saw their tweet about this event. Was disappointed that it's designed for high levels. It's quite time consuming getting there. My highest characters are level 40s.

I know that everyone is busy reacting to the trollery, but this is actually really really awesome that they were able to do this. Considering nintendo seems to still own the IP, that's surprisingly cool of them.

Neo Dark

I know that everyone is busy reacting to the trollery, but this is actually really really awesome that they were able to do this. Considering nintendo seems to still own the IP, that's surprisingly cool of them.

It's cool but why is everyone so surprised? I mean they're planning to use their own games for mobile to try and attract people to buy their consoles later this year. Plus they're already doing it with Pokemon (even if the rights are owned by 3 companies... Nintendo still has a certain say in this)

Lumyst

I was kind of amazed with how much the city in The Last Story felt like Florence from Assassin's Creed 2, but done on Wii hardware.

I mean you didn't get to go on roofs so you didn't get to put the draw distance to the test, but it really felt like it was pushing the Wii pretty well.

Oh absolutely, the way the characters could interact with things around them, like bumping into people and getting a reaction, that sort of attention to detail made the city and characters feel more alive, like the "movie set" feel of a AAA game. Hell, that kind of detail impressed me more than some of what I experienced in Lost Odyssey.

Vena

I think its safe to say that what duckroll was really trying to say is that Terra Battle console version is coming to the WiiU/N3DS!

...Right?

Eolz

Omg duckroll f...
Ok that's enough. Disappointed myself, but glad for those liking terra battle, for the devs and the fans.

They mentioned Nintendo several times on the live stream this morning.

Somebody that can understand Japanese will need to translate/summarize what was said though, heh.

However I'd like more info about the nintendo relationship like this and several other posts, even if they usually seem open to let devs do things with ips they helped create, as long as it's not on console/handheld.

CTLance

I dunno. Haven't played Terra battle in ages. Not because it's bad or anything, I just tire of stamina based games even quicker than I tire of normal games nowadays.

Sigh. Might as well. ... Wait, what are eidolons? How did this work again? Who are these guys? Oh god, I need to relearn this game from scratch, don't I. :(

at OP.

I have Last Story on Wii... but never really got past that Sabretooth Tiger fight. I installed Terra Battle on my phone... but never launched the app while I had an internet connection, and ended up deleting it 4-5 months later... I'm languishing.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I haven't played TB since the first week... Didn't get very far. I liked it though, I'm just not really a mobile gamer.

That said.... I REALLY liked The Last Story.
So how does this work? I just boot up the game and jump into the Arena and play? Is it free? Do I need to be a certain level?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Where's my Lost Odyssey sequel? If Mistwalker can do this then they can do one for LO. LO fits in quite well with TB's style.

This sounds quite interesting. I put TB down for a while, but this makes me want to play it even more. I was a bit shocked by TB having FF summons as bosses, but Mistwalker already makes fantastic games. I still like TO's cast a lore more than TLS. TLS is still a lot of fun. Online multiplayer was a blast last year before it shutdown.

I tweeted the Terra Battle EN twitter asking about the IP rights. Who knows if they'll respond. I'd tweet Sakaguchi, but does he respond to English tweets?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I haven't played TB since the first week... Didn't get very far. I liked it though, I'm just not really a mobile gamer.

So how does this work? I just boot up the game and jump into the Arena and play? Is it free? Do I need to be a certain level?

No. Your stamina has to be at 40. Why even do such a thing Mistwalker? Do you think people want to download your game, increase their stamina to 40, and then have the event expire?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
No. Your stamina has to be at 40. Why even do such a thing Mistwalker? Do you think people want to download your game, increase their stamina to 40, and then have the event expire?

Oh. That.... Sucks. Mines only 28.

40 ses very far away :(

duckroll

You should find a friend who has been playing Terra Battle, borrow his/her phone/tablet, and play through the event. That's the best way if you haven't been actively playing because this is basically for players who have finished the first story campaign in Terra Battle. :(

Or you could wait for a youtube playthrough to see the story elements.

Top Bottom