• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'Splosion Man for the Xbox Live Arcade Official Thread

xbhaskarx

Ugh, please don't spoiler tag review scores, that's so stupid.

9.0 Presentation
Everything from menus to idle animation has been given some TLC. 'Splosion Man is bursting with humor and personality.

8.0 Graphics
The occasional background or loading screen looks a little suspect, but most of the game (especially the 'splosions) looks very nice.

8.5 Sound
The soundtrack is full of rousing sci-fi and spy music, and 'Splosion Man's manic babbling is a delight.

9.0 Gameplay
Devilishly challenging platforming that will test your reflexes and brain power. Oh, and bad guys explode into deli meat.

9.0 Lasting Appeal
A lengthy single-player game, plus local and online four-player co-op.

Outstanding OVERALL

ihadFG

Neo Member
I can't wait for this game. I'm looking forward to it more than most full retail releases this summer. It just looks like a lot of fun.

Perhaps it's just me, but I find the art style of this game absolutely atrocious, I really don't know why they didn't go with something with a bit more style, like the Castle Crashers look.

Still the gameplay looks sharp, and considering I've got enough points I think I'll give it a trial.

Proc

HarrisonBike said:
Perhaps it's just me, but I find the art style of this game absolutely atrocious

I agree, it seems too sterile (you're escaping a lab :lol). Maybe the later levels have some interesting art direction?

Awesome score. Now I don't feel so bad for having 1000 points and missing out on that gears 2 deal.

sterile art? I think you guys are on crack or something. You are a humanoid made of living explosions ('splosions) ruthlessly exploding futuristic douchebag scientists who 'splode into various chunks of perfectly prepared meat. Perhaps Uncharted Gears of Metal War Solid: Shadows Complex has a more fresh and appealing aesthetic for you two :lol

Still not hyped for this one. Like The Maw, the art style seems pretty generic to me. Gameplay seems fun though. Might eventually get it if the impressions are good as it's only 800 pts (a price I haven't seen on XLA for weeks :lol )

Lothars

I wasn't looking forward to this game at all until this topic and than I saw some videos of the game and it went from a not anytime soon purchase to a day one buy.

Majora

LordPhoque said:
Still not hyped for this one. Like The Maw, the art style seems pretty generic to me. Gameplay seems fun though. Might eventually get it if the impressions are good as it's only 800 pts (a price I haven't seen on XLA for weeks :lol )

People need to stop with this. 2 games out of the last 20 released on XBLA were above 800 points. Battlefield and Sam and Max Season 1, and nobody can say those prices weren't justified.

LordPhoque said:

I haven't seen one negative from anyone that has played it.

So far only 2 reviews are out and they are both 9's

LordPhoque said:
I meant games I care about. Every single release I'm looking forward is 1200pts these days, that sucks.

That's a shame for sure.

I had a look at the prices of XBLA games so far this year, just out of interest - 43 of them were 800 Points or under, with 11 being more expensive than that.

sciplore

LordPhoque said:

The Maw art was generic? I found Kingdom for kelflings art to be very generic Maw art style to me fitted the game very well, or it could be the animation between Maw and Frank was so good the art seemed as good as well.

The gameplay just looks insane and the co-op looks like fun. Looking forward to this but I need to stock up on points so badly. I have been holding out until there is a sale but this game coming out so soon is making it really hard to wait. :(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
LordPhoque said:
I meant games I care about. Every single release I'm looking forward is 1200pts these days, that sucks.
4000 points for $30. Get on it people, you're slacking. I'm a cheapass gamer and I'm sitting on almost 8000 points.

Anyway, Day 1 for Splosion Man and Shadow Complex, but I need to know the track count and how robust the level editor is on Trials HD before I drop the 1200. I'm gonna pass on the rest.

sciplore

SapientWolf said:
4000 points for $30.

Is this that ebay thing? If so I rather not chase around links. Target got a 1600 pt and get a $5 gift card thing going on this week so I rather do that.

xbhaskarx

* Bonuses: Get free unlockable premium dashboard theme, gamerpics, and Avatar accessories.

Major Nelson's latest podcast confirms that not only will 'Splosion Man have a premium theme to unlock, it will be the first game to have Avatar accessories. Everything will unlock like Achievements.

They will also give away 'Splosion Man figures (real, not an Avatar acessory), when you beat the game it tells you how you can win one. Basically there will be a weekly leaderboard and and you can win if you're #1 on a certain level.

The demo will have three single player levels and three multiplayer levels, and one Avatar accessory will unlock from those levels.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
xbhaskarx said:
Major Nelson's latest podcast confirms that not only will 'Splosion Man have a premium theme to unlock, it will be the first game to have Avatar accessories. Everything will unlock like Achievements.

They will also give away 'Splosion Man figures (real, not an Avatar acessory), when you beat the game it tells you how you can win one. Basically there will be a weekly leaderboard and and you can win if you're #1 on a certain level.

The demo will have three single player levels and three multiplayer levels, and one Avatar accessory will unlock from those levels.
Now this is all the reasons why Achievements,Avatars, and such can be awesome <3

I think I won't even download the demo anymore and just buy it. :lol

Dynoro

xbhaskarx said:
Unlocks from demos? I'm ready to splode all over this

Mmmm...nothing goes down better than a little bit of honey. A visualized achievement is definitely more interesting and distinctive than more points added to a bunch of other points. Definitely picking this up just for the cool simplicity of it (at least what I've seen of it) and, of course, the humor shown.

Sean

Banned
xbhaskarx said:

That's awesome. Twisted Pixel Games really goes all out with their stuff, wish more developers would give goodies with their XBLA titles like that.

And their promotion for this game is awesome too. The fake music video and now setting Major Nelson on fire :lol

Gowans

It's really awesome that this small dev can include a premium theme and Avatar Unlocks really shows the care in investment they have it their game (and puts the big publishers to shame).

Wonder if the unlocks will have to wait till the next dash update?

I love the idea of the premium theme and avatar unlocks.

I'll give this a quick 2 minute blast on the demo then will buy, pending on the feel of the controls, but it's all looking good.

Brashnir

Gowans007 said:
It's really awesome that this small dev can include a premium theme and Avatar Unlocks really shows the care in investment they have it their game (and puts the big publishers to shame).

Wonder if the unlocks will have to wait till the next dash update?

I doubt it. Games have had unlockable stuff like gamerpics since the 360's launch. It's just a massively underutilized feature.

Is it after work Wednesday yet? Am I 'Sploding?

Its kinda funny to see how Twisted Pixel responded to some people saying that The Maw was a little slow (loved it myself, need to grab the DLC at some point) by going balls out with a hyper-active exploding guy :lol

Top Bottom