• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Star Trek Beyond News & Production Thread: Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Well, this gal's been up for too long. Remember, If it hits the web, make a thread!

You got it, ma'am!

image.php

Unless I fall asleep first.
Which could totally happen.

Kevin

Looks ok I guess. Hard to tell since I don't speak German and can't really tell what the story will be about but I hope it's good.

Jackpot

Banned
Looks quite bad. Ship's gone straight away, Kirk doing extreeeeeeeeeeeme stunts on a motorbike found on an alien planet, and that cheezy intro for the woman.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Not sure if it's marketing, but I can definitely see Pegg's influence. I imagine this trailer is going to be pretty divisive though. Honestly, with these movies I'd rather they just go for fun than swing for high drama and miss.

Nephron

Neo Member
-Is this music?
-It's a good song.
-Great, turn up the volume.

-We have no ship ... no crew ... how do we get out of this?

-We will find hope in the impossible.

-Damn. At least I'm not going to die alone.... Great, this is so typical.

-I hope this won't end up badly.

-Here it begins, captain. This is where the final frontier will strike back.

-Damn, what is this?
-I know why you are here. Why we are all here.

-Okay, we won't do this again.

Liamario

Banned
Now that I've seen the trailer in english with the sound turned up- no thanks. Maybe it's just the trailer, but I'm seriously underwhelmed by everything I've seen. It's too actiony. Again, the trailer may be misleading.

Wasn't bad.

Felt like one of those old-school episodes where the crew had the run of the Paramount backlot and decided to build an adventure around it.

Curious to see how it plays out.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I really like this prediction from Dennis over at TrekBBS.

So, at a guess this "Swarm" has a nice method for bringing down big spaceships. The Dubai city shots we've seen are from early in the movie when an older Starfleet ship manages a crash landing at a starbase. Later, the Enterprise is critically damaged and most of the crew held under guard by Swarm soldiers while the stars avoid capture (Kirk stays with the ship until it hits, of course) and run around the landscape figuring out how to stop Elba's nefarious plot and free their people.

Admittedly part of the reason I like it is because I feel similarly, but still.

HUELEN10

Okay, gonna update the OP (I expect a Press Release soon!), but in the meantime, here is the post I made in the other thread.

-------------------------------------------------------

Oh... My god. They actually did it, despite time crunches, changes in directors, and all that Jazz, they finally really did it: This IS Some Kind of Star Trek!

Jesus Christ, the wait for more is gonna be completely unbearable. The costumes look great, Captain Kirk's favorite band is blasting, final frontier, foibles, amazing art direction... This looks fun, a fun and true celebration of what Star Trek is and can be, even though it is a mere window of the final product.

Truly, this is worth of also being referred to Star Trek: The 50th Anniversary Motion Picture.

I... I need to blast some Beastie Boys/Giacchino now. This is the best first trailer for a Trek in this series, without a doubt.

HUELEN10

OP updated! hopefully we get a 4K trailer or Press Release soon!

I mean, the YouTube trailer has no proper description either!

Okay, gonna update the OP (I expect a Press Release soon!), but in the meantime, here is the post I made in the other thread.

-------------------------------------------------------

Oh... My god. They actually did it, despite time crunches, changes in directors, and all that Jazz, they finally really did it: This IS Some Kind of Star Trek!

Jesus Christ, the wait for more is gonna be completely unbearable. The costumes look great, Captain Kirk's favorite band is blasting, final frontier, foibles, amazing art direction... This looks fun, a fun and true celebration of what Star Trek is and can be, even though it is a mere window of the final product.

Truly, this is worth of also being referred to Star Trek: The 50th Anniversary Motion Picture.

I... I need to blast some Beastie Boys/Giacchino now. This is the best first trailer for a Trek in this series, without a doubt.

Honestly I don't see how you can say this is a celebration of Star Trek and then get excited about Beastie Boys music being in it.

Love both but they don't mesh at all imo.

Frankly this looks like the complete opposite of a true celebration of what Star Trek is.

Star Trek is majestic when it's at its best. There's no majesty at all in that trailer

"This is where the frontier pushes back."

That's pretty great, I'm looking forward to Idris Elba devouring the scenery.

Otherwise, not sure, and I liked both Abrams films. We'll see.

Interesting article from Devin Faraci on Birth.Movies.Death. He asked Lin if Beyond was in continuity with some elements JJ has set up in his movies:

Star Trek has been around for 50 years, and every filmmaker that comes on has a different point of view, and it’s a universe that can support many points of view and journeys and adventures. I embraced what JJ has brought - without him this whole group wouldn’t be together - so I’m definitely very appreciative of him. At the same time, do we address it? No, but we don’t discount it. We don’t sit there and say it doesn’t exist, it’s part of this universe now.

They are going to forget Carol Marcus for the second time tho, ahah.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Came in here to post that, actually. Glad to see it was already covered.

I especially like all these unusual pairings going on. But yeah, that thing about bets being off really intrigues me.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I trust my friend and her opinions are often fairly similar to my own. The movie is going to be good regardless of that debut trailer.

Then again I like nuTrek a lot in general so I'm naturally in a better place on this front than many of my fellow Trek enthusiasts. But still.

HUELEN10

Isn't the event in like 14 hours? lol

I saw on Twitter someone mentioned about it being live streamed so I hope that's true.

Sadly, if that's the case, I will be at work. Please make sure to link to happenings here if I haven't, and someone make a thread when the actual trailer is out; trailer is big enough news for its own Seperate thread!

Simo

Sadly, if that's the case, I will be at work. Please make sure to link to happenings here if I haven't, and someone make a thread when the actual trailer is out; trailer is big enough news for its own Seperate thread!

Oh sure! Pretty sure it's 7pm PST and not 7am PST anyways. lol

I checked and it looks like they are streaming the Q&A with the cast on their Facebook page. Trailer would likely drop after it debuts at the event.

HUELEN10

Oh sure! Pretty sure it's 7pm PST and not 7am PST anyways. lol

I checked and it looks like they are streaming the Q&A with the cast on their Facebook page. Trailer would likely drop after it debuts at the event.

So event is 10Pm eastern?

WHOOPIE!

Cheebo

Banned
It's like Paramount doesn't want people to see anything about the movie. Marketing has been atrocious and hype has been basically non-existent.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
It's like Paramount doesn't want people to see anything about the movie. Marketing has been atrocious and hype has been basically non-existent.

The marketing outside disney is quite bad. Either you get too few marketing materials and/or you get bad trailers (editing, music, showing too much).

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
There's been a lot of buzz about them trying to hide this movie, so it'll be nice to finally see our first footage since December.

Cheebo

Banned
The marketing outside disney is quite bad. Either you get too few marketing materials and/or you get bad trailers (editing, music, showing too much).
Marketing was really solid for last two Trek movies. We had far more media for both at this point in their release cycle.

I'm still like...

It's a commercial. Drop it in the morning, when people are at work/commuting/in front of a screen, so they can see it and share it and people at their desks in the entertainment media can bang out a quick blogpost.

But no, they're gonna drop it at 7pm PST/10pm EST on a Friday Night.

Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom