• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Star Trek Beyond News & Production Thread: Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
I am starting to suspect Paramount knows they have a stinker on their hands. The insanely troubled production plus the lack of marketing. It's not a good sign.

I don't know if they're hiding it, or if they're simply waiting to rush media with ads in a compressed 3 week period. It seems a lot of studios might be leaning more towards this model as opposed to a prolonged, monthslong ad campaign that seems to have been serving people already inclined to see the movie (i.e. US) as opposed to drawing in new audience.

Or they could be hiding it.

I don't like the new uniforms, by the way.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised but I don't think it's gonna happen, and I actually liked the last one (even if it barely resembled a Trek film).

I am starting to suspect Paramount knows they have a stinker on their hands. The insanely troubled production plus the lack of marketing. It's not a good sign.

And the fact that the trailer suggested it was going to be a 2 Trek 2 Furious piece of shit.

Motorbikes?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I don't know if they're hiding it, or if they're simply waiting to rush media with ads in a compressed 3 week period. It seems a lot of studios might be leaning more towards this model as opposed to a prolonged, monthslong ad campaign that seems to have been serving people already inclined to see the movie (i.e. US) as opposed to drawing in new audience.

Or they could be hiding it.

I don't like the new uniforms, by the way.

I believe it's the latter

I'm excited for the new footage though :)

I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised but I don't think it's gonna happen, and I actually liked the last one (even if it barely resembled a Trek film).

I will never not call out the mislaid sense of intellectual superiority when it comes to that "real Trek" line of thought.

Into Darkness resembles a Trek film just as much as any other Star Trek film, and is better as a film and as a Star Trek story than half of the series.

The rigid (and often boring) definition of what Trek can be (and what it cannot be) is very often not just incorrect, but very limiting.

Well it's not out until July 22 in the US so they do have two months if they start the media blitz today...but when is the earliest international release date?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I will never not call out the mislaid sense of intellectual superiority when it comes to that "real Trek" line of thought.

You can be as borderline condescending as you want, but this is a frequent complaint of the film by many people that love Star Trek, so it's hardly an objectively incorrect opinion.

It's simple really, it felt like an action film first and took extreme liberties with established Trek lore. When you see such ridiculous things as a Starfleet vessel being ordered to fire missiles at Qo'noS etc, it just pulls me right out of the film.

Even the bad movies felt like overly long episodes of the TV show.

You can be as borderline condescending as you want,

I don't think it was borderline condescending, especially not in comparison to the outright condescension inherent in suggesting there's a "Real Trek" threshold to begin with.

The fact that many people love Star Trek and adhere to that ridiculous and unearned snobbery doesn't change that it's ridiculous and unearned snobbery. In fact, that condition is precisely what I'm poking at when I bring it up.

Markitron

The fact that many people love Star Trek and adhere to that ridiculous and unearned snobbery doesn't change that it's ridiculous and unearned snobbery. In fact, that condition is precisely what I'm poking at when I bring it up.

How do you define 'earned' in this situation, does watching 100's of hours of TV shows and movies not earn you an opinion on what Trek means to you personally? I don't see how you are equating this to snobbery.

Also, I didn't use the phrase 'Real Trek' in my post, this would suggest I consider 'Into Darkness' fake Trek, which I do not.

I don't think it was borderline condescending, especially not in comparison to the outright condescension inherent in suggesting there's a "Real Trek" threshold to begin with.

There is a Real Trek threshold. Into Darkness failed to meet it by being an action movie with the level of intelligence that of your average hamster. Just like the novels and comics aren't real Trek because they aren't canon, the Reboot Universe isn't real Trek because it is a separate universe.

Call it snobbery, but fuck if I care. 25 seasons of television has defined what Star Trek is and what it should be.

Trek doesn't really work as movies. At best you'll get overly long, but decent TV show episodes like TMP and Undiscovered Country, at worst you get utter unearned crap like Into Darkness.

Simo

I'm still like...

It's a commercial. Drop it in the morning, when people are at work/commuting/in front of a screen, so they can see it and share it and people at their desks in the entertainment media can bang out a quick blogpost.

But no, they're gonna drop it at 7pm PST/10pm EST on a Friday Night.

Weird.

Yeah. Imagine if they should show it to the people attending and don't even upload it tonight...lol

Karl Urban just posted this on his twitter:
urban.jpg

HUELEN10

Yeah. Imagine if they should show it to the people attending and don't even upload it tonight...lol

Karl Urban just posted this on his twitter:
urban.jpg

That enterprise looks different!

And the time signature!

Is that a new refit? A New 1701-A?!?!?

Obviously unfinished, but it looks different enough no?

AHHHHH HYPE!

Huh. They really like ending these movies with the opening narration, don't they?

Is Urban doing it?

e: Wait, it's probably the entire bridge cast doing separate lines of it.

Call it snobbery, but fuck if I care. 25 seasons of television has defined what Star Trek is and what it should be.

It's snobbery—as exposed by the 25 seasons of television you're trying to cite, much of which is dumber and more lowbrow than Into Darkness ever achieved.

Matt

There is a Real Trek threshold. Into Darkness failed to meet it by being an action movie with the level of intelligence that of your average hamster. Just like the novels and comics aren't real Trek because they aren't canon, the Reboot Universe isn't real Trek because it is a separate universe.

Trek doesn't really work as movies. At best you'll get overly long, but decent TV show episodes like TMP and Undiscovered Country, at worst you get utter unearned crap like Into Darkness.
Star Trek has had action, even dumb action throughout its entire existence.

Also, TMP is decent?!

MisterHero

Ignore the ups and downs of the series in general and compare the works that actually share material.

Is Into Darkness better than Space Seed.

My opinion
___No___

Ignore the ups and downs of the series in general

Why would I do that tho?

Is Into Darkness better than Space Seed.

I've owned the original series on DVD and Blu-Ray

I actually have a laserdisc copy of that episode still.

I played Lt. Spinelli in a stage adaptation of the episode for Trek in the Park's second season.

Into Darkness is better than Space Seed.

Of course, it's kinda unfair as Space Seed was made on a much smaller budget, as part of a TV series, with a fraction of the assets and resources poured into it. But if I was offered the choice of which one to put into the player I would take Into Darkness every time.

That's not to say Cumberbatch is a better Khan, because he isn't. But overall, Into Darkness is a better story, told better, than what's happening in Space Seed.

MC Safety

I played Lt. Spinelli in a stage adaptation of the episode for Trek in the Park's second season.

Into Darkness is a noisy jumble of nonsense. In no way, shape, or form is it better than the episode it stole from. It even manages to get the point of Space Seed/Wrath of Khan wrong.

I'm sure your role as ardent apologist served you in good stead on stage.

Herne

I'm genuinely surprised there are people that liked Into Darkness. To each their own. I love the reboot cast, but after the last two films I have zero enthusiasm for anything else they put out.

s_mirage

Into Darkness is a noisy jumble of nonsense. In no way, shape, or form is it better than the episode it stole from. It even manages to get the point of Space Seed/Wrath of Khan wrong.

How? Neither have happened in the new continuity, so what point did they get wrong? You could also argue that TWoK got the point of Space Seed wrong, but that would be another argument for another day.

Into Darkness is a noisy jumble of nonsense. In no way, shape, or form is it better than the episode it stole from.

It stole virtually nothing from Space Seed outside of the idea someone unthawed Khan. You're talking nonsense

I'm sure your role as ardent apologist served you in good stead on stage.

It was performed before anyone knew what an Into Darkness was, but okay.

Also, not sure how pointing out Star Trek on the whole isn't nearly as intellectual or highbrow as people prefer to portray it can be classified as "apologism" really, but again - okay.

Schlorgan

I'm pretty confident that Justin Lin could make an entertaining movie out of whatever script is given to him.

But with Kurtzman/Orci not the main screenwriters and Simon Pegg co-writing, I think this has the potential to be great.

s_mirage

There are others that actually liked Into Darkness? My wife and I are not alone in this world then?

No you're not. It's far more popular than this forum suggests, including among Trek fans. What I find quite interesting is that the new films tend to be pretty well liked by fans who were introduced to Trek through TOS or the TOS movies, including some who were around for Trek's original run. It tends to be fans who got into Trek through TNG or Voyager that bemoan the JJVerse as not being real Trek.

No you're not. It's far more popular than this forum suggests, including among Trek fans. What I find quite interesting is that the new films tend to be pretty well liked by fans who were introduced to Trek through TOS or the TOS movies, including some who were around for Trek's original run.

Yeah, at some point, the fandom rolled over to looking at things as though TNG was the be-all/end-all of Star Trek, when it probably has the least in common with almost every other show or movie (including its own). It's likely a generational thing.

How the anomaly came to be regarded as the mean, I don't know.

Maybe it's because it's the third best show.

Schlorgan

I'm pretty optimistic about it,
but I really just want it to do well so Paramount will stop messing around and give Justin Lin Transformers.

As far as Star Trek movies go, Into Darkness was pretty middle of the road. I mean this franchise has entries as bad as The Final Frontier and Nemesis after all.

I don't hate Into Darkness. For me, it falls into the category of being either the worst good Trek movie or best shit Trek movie.

I think Beyond will turn out okay.

Simo

Doors open for the event. I'll put the rest in the spoiler code and won't post the photo as I'm not sure what kind of spoilers you guys want or don't want but it looks like the event is onboard the
Enterprise 1701-A? It's registry plaque is present as you walk in and the corridors so far are like the starship.

EDIT: Ah corridor leads to a auditorium they constructed. Looks really cool. TrekMovie has a video of it on their twitter page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom