• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Star Trek Beyond News & Production Thread: Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragun619

The "Bridge".
Ci8gm2cVAAA-yRD.jpg:large

Thats pretty dope.

Doesn't seem like much of a stretch that there'll be a 1701-A by the end of this movie considering we see the Enterprise eat shit in the trailer.

It's snobbery—as exposed by the 25 seasons of television you're trying to cite, much of which is dumber and more lowbrow than Into Darkness ever achieved.

Star Trek has had action, even dumb action throughout its entire existence.

Also, TMP is decent?!
TMP is like a two-parter episode with pointless filler. I once saw a fan edit that got it down to like 80 minutes and it was one of the better TOS episodes I've seen.

Trek, when it was good didn't have action for the sake of action. The plot of STID made no sense and resolved everything with punching. It bastardized a great scene from TWOK. It ruined Khan.

I'd watch Spock's Brain and even Threshold before watching STID again.

HUELEN10

Before it really starts ramping up, I am quoting this for the Op.

Spoiler alert: This thread may contain news and items that some could consider spoilers, so please keep this in mind. No obvious major spoiler pics will be in the OP should they come up, but will be Availible in their post which can be accessed through the archive.

So you know the drill and have been warned. Everything at the fan event should be fair game, so keep it in mind.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
That's not to say Cumberbatch is a better Khan, because he isn't. But overall, Into Darkness is a better story, told better, than what's happening in Space Seed.

I am so disappointed, Bobby.

Orci's trademark magic blood nonsense and 9/11 Truther parallel bullshit makes this patently untrue right off the bat. You don't even need to get into the fact that Star Trek should be about something, and Into Darkness is about nothing except a long string of unearned imagery that doesn't understand why it's even happening.

I don't even like Space Seed all that much, but Into Darkness is garbage.

I am so disappointed, Bobby.

Orci's trademark magic blood nonsense and 9/11 Truther parallel bullshit makes this patently untrue right off the bat. You don't even need to get into the fact that Star Trek should be about something, and Into Darkness is about nothing except a long string of unearned imagery that doesn't understand why it's even happening.

I don't even like Space Seed all that much, but Into Darkness is garbage.
Let's not forget they best Khan by cheating using PrimeSpock.

The Rebootverse is like someone flayed RealTrek and is prancing around in its ill fitting skin.

You don't even need to get into the fact that Star Trek should be about something,

Didn't you just cite the 9/11 Truther bullshit? It's about that. Specifically, Orci used his weird political fantasy as fuel to tell a story about untrustworthy powers that be rigging the game to allow for their warmongering. It's about that, with the typical subplot about making sense of your emotions that gets dragged out every couple years in Star Trek in some form or another.

Again, it's pretty clear. It's not complicated or obfuscated. I think 9/11 Trutherism is fucking horseshit, and Orci is a jackass. But the kernel at the core of that repugnant real-life theory can be (and was) transplanted to a sci-fi setting and they built a story around that, incorporating Khan for those purposes. Kirk's sacrifice is unearned, and the last reel of the film is really messily/sloppily glued on. Spock Prime should never have appeared (and Spock Prime shouldn't even exist, the series should have been a flat reboot, and almost all the films' problems stem from taking half measures on that front and having to address Spock Prime's existence), but again - the film's a Starfleet conspiracy story, and a pretty straightforward one. It's not about nothing.

Space Seed is a basic Noble Savage story that ends with Kirk beating Khan with a pipe before marooning the man on a planet with his crush.

Simo

Haha Katee Sackoff is there too.

OT but is Urban in the new season of Longmire? I saw he tweeted out some stuff of hanging out with the cast so I wasn't sure if it was because he was friends with Rob Taylor or if he has a role on the next season. And now Sackoff is at the event. lol

Haha Katee Sackoff is there too.

OT but is Urban in the new season of Longmire? I saw he tweeted out some stuff of hanging out with the cast so I wasn't sure if it was because he was friends with Rob Taylor or if he has a role on the next season. And now Sackoff is at the event. lol

Huh. I wonder if she got cast for Fuller's show?

Yeah, at some point, the fandom rolled over to looking at things as though TNG was the be-all/end-all of Star Trek, when it probably has the least in common with almost every other show or movie (including its own). It's likely a generational thing.

How the anomaly came to be regarded as the mean, I don't know.

Maybe it's because it's the third best show.

Lemme guess, Original Series and DS9 are above it?

Simo

Something I missed but what's Axanar? Abrams said Paramount should not be suing and it's going away?

Ci8q7J1UgAEdpTV.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom