• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Stardust HD Thread (my eyes burn from the amazing!)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Hmm, that interview makes it sound like the music-generated levels aren't a foregone conclusion in the MP pack, like that earlier article on the UK Playstation site suggested.

And I wonder why they're bothering with a ship editor. Ship isn't really big enough on screen for it to make a noticeable difference.

Has anyone asked them about the XBLA game they're also supposed to be working on? After what they've done with SSHD, I'm really curious to find out more about that game.

jmd494

So what are you guys theorizing we'll see in versus mode?

I hope it's more than just the pre-existing modes in split-screen with separate scores.

In my humble opinion, to create a great versus mode, they need to make all the players feel like they are interacting with each other...like they are negatively impacting their opponent's performance rather than just positively impacting their own. It won't be great if it feels like two people playing isolated single-player experiences which just happen to be happening on the same TV at the same time. It's the same reason their aren't two basketballs on a basketball court at the same time with each team putting all 5 of their players down on their scoring end scoring as many shots as they can in 48 minutes.

Some ideas for versus mode only powerups that I feel would accomplish this are powerups that would temporarily:
- Let you kill your opponent by boosting through them
- Give you some of your opponent's screen real estate in splitscreen mode
- Reduce your opponent's weapon upgrade percentages by 50%
- Randomly cycle your opponent's weapons
- Change your opponent's weapon strengths to whatever meteor was currently rarest on screen (i.e. if there were all gold and rock meteors, turn all your opponent's weapons into blue weapons that were only powerful against ice -- blue rock crusher, blue gold meter, and blue ice bullets)
- Magnetize your opponent to draw in meteors
- Weigh down your opponent's ship so they are affected by inertia (i.e. sharp turns would not be possible -- especially coming out of a boost)
- Hamper your opponent's controls so they would have to rapidly move the analog stick to fire each and every bullet as opposed to just holding it in one direction (alternative: temporarily make your opponent have to push in / click the analog stick and push it in the correct direction to fire)
- Without warning, make your opponent's bombs be on a 5 second delay and magnetize them so they would be hard to escape from (i.e. they would chase your opponents ship at a speed only a little bit slower than your opponent's ship)
- Turn your opponent's weapons against them without them knowing until it was too late -- examples:
---> Rock crusher bullets could fatally bounce back at your opponent
---> Extended (10 seconds straight) use of ice bullets would freeze your opponent's ship into a mini ice block that would completely lose all ability to fire and spiral out of control until thawed (maybe 5 seconds). During this time, enemy fire or any collisions would shatter your opponent's ship.
---> The gold meter would be turned into a tether/tractor beam that would temporarily (maybe 10 - 15 seconds) tether your opponent to whatever he just shot. Weapons would be disabled during this time as the gold meter would still be active. Your ship would be slowes down during this time if the tether was taught as you'd be dragging a giant meteor around. And if you moved and stopped suddenly, the tethered meteor would keep moving (inertia) and could smack into the back of your ship...or...if it passed you, it would then pull you in whatever direction it was just moving. To make it more interesting, the person tethered to the meteor could attempt to swing it at their enemies. Boosting/bombing while tethered would rip the cannon off your ship and would leave you with only bombs until you died.

I don't need anyone to tell me I overthought this (but feel free to point out the obvious if you like)...but I'm just killing the last 30 minutes of work here :D

These are just some ideas I'd be excited (even though they'll never happen) to see implemented.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
1646_0001.jpg

MikeB

Banned
Endless mode is cool, I only recently started on this mode (only haven't tried Time attack yet). I like it a lot, I was good in normal mode but a single game can take up so many hours! This is just excellent, well paced game speed ups and full power weapons in no time. My favourite!

Currently ranked 16 on Endless mode. :cool:

acevans2

Raist said:
Wow @ 4pl split screen.

I wonder what are the small bars around the ships. hmm
Yeah. Looks like they're reducing screen clutter by putting each person's boost bar and lives in a ring round' the ship.

Madman said:
I've held off on the first expansion in hopes of a bundled expasion pack. I hope I am not let down.

The solo expansion is a bargain at it's current price. Seriously.

Don't let your desire to be a cheapskate (admirable as it may be) make you miss out on the awesome new features for one more minute. Pull the trigger now.

Pristine_Condition said:
The solo expansion is a bargain at it's current price. Seriously.

Don't let your desire to be a cheapskate (admirable as it may be) make you miss out on the awesome new features for one more minute. Pull the trigger now.

Fuck that, I am waiting until the ONLINE DLC comes out and then I'll buy the entire package

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I just made this my first PSN store purchase :D I hadn't been bothered to try it out up til now, but the demo at a friend's, custom soundtracks and other recent updates really sold it for me.

Pure classic gaming gold! I've only unlocked the second planet on normal mode so far, ranked somewhere in the 4000s haha. Loads of fun though, can't wait to try co-op and unlock the other planets. Good thread too, OP.

tribal24

Banned
ok what are we doing wrong im playing co-op and my score at the end of the 4th planet always at 30 mil , then i see the leader board its at 500 mil how the heck do i make points like that?

zoku88

Do you get more points from the white things when you do that speed dash thing through them? I keep on seeing 2 x 10000 or 3 x 10000

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
zoku88 said:
Do you get more points from the white things when you do that speed dash thing through them? I keep on seeing 2 x 10000 or 3 x 10000

You get combo points for dashing through them consecutively. You can rack up a lot of points by blowing up the bonus asteroid and then dashing through it.

When did they add "May all your giant enemy crabs belong to our weak spot for massive damage" to the credits (It's at the end of the Housemarque Thanks section)? Was it always in the credits? :lol

zoku88

Killthee said:
You get combo points for dashing through them consecutively. You can rack up a lot of points by blowing up the bonus asteroid and then dashing through it.

When did they add "May all your giant enemy crabs belong to our weak spot for massive damage" to the credits (It's at the end of the Housemarque Thanks section)? Was it always in the credits? :lol
HOLY CRAP. I wish I had known that before. My high score could be so much more higher... (was that just really bad english?)

I've been way out of the loop -- I haven't even dl'd the first expansion yet.

BUt I see in that link that there will be split screen co-op and versus in the next expansion. Will it also include online co-op?

The Team Pack is already showing up in the SSHD Store, but it's non-purchasable (I get an error noise when I try to buy it). So I think it ought to be up for sale extremely soon.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The Nature Roy said:
I've been way out of the loop -- I haven't even dl'd the first expansion yet.

BUt I see in that link that there will be split screen co-op and versus in the next expansion. Will it also include online co-op?

Nope, I don't believe so.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
badcrumble said:
The Team Pack is already showing up in the SSHD Store, but it's non-purchasable (I get an error noise when I try to buy it). So I think it ought to be up for sale extremely soon.
The solo pack also showed up accidentally in the online store, at least a month before it actually arrived. Really weird why it happened yet again with the Team Pack. You'd think somebody would have learned the first time.

kaching said:
The solo pack also showed up accidentally in the online store, at least a month before it actually arrived. Really weird why it happened yet again with the Team Pack. You'd think somebody would have learned the first time.
What upsets me is the notion that it's already on the store servers and just not enabled as a download yet. Especially the implications for other PSN Store content.

O-O After a night of Star Dust, my eye have been reduced to smoking sockets, but its worth it. I'm currently on a mission to be 2nd place to BeatBox in every score list. I would take beating just one of his scores but that guy is a fucking mutant I swear, he's unstoppable. I managed to best everyone else in the time attacks, bomber, survival, and Lave planet Mode, but I only see scores from my friends list. Who else is a SSD demon I can add to my list? Damnit Sony, increase the friends limit already!!!!!

~Devil Trigger~ said:
im #39 on Endless worldwide

for weeks now...still cant beat myself :(
I suck at endless, no clue why. I need to try a few more times, I'm only at 17 mill. I actually tied my all time arcade high (371mil) but that just annoying, playing for 2.5 hours to get there and tieing.

Whats your psn name so I can check your scores

jvm

Gamasutra.
BobTheFork said:
I suck at endless, no clue why.
I love Endless so much that I don't think I'll ever play the other modes. Survival and Time Attack haven't even been tried on my machine.

I'm a lowly #4000-something on Endless. :^( I think that's 10M+.

BobTheFork said:
I suck at endless, no clue why. I need to try a few more times, I'm only at 17 mill. I actually tied my all time arcade high (371mil) but that just annoying, playing for 2.5 hours to get there and tieing.

Whats your psn name so I can check your scores
Endless requires a completely different approach to bombs. In Arcade, bombs are a weapon of absolute last resort, since the only logical thing to do is hoard them for the points. Endless requires you to use them. I always try to keep a half-dozen or so on hand for an emergency, but there's no reason to keep more. If you have a stock of 15 bombs, you're losing out on points. The tactic I find most useful is that when I'm about to be overwhelmed by meteor storm, or the red pyramids, or there's just too many static blocks, dash toward the highest concentration of them, and bomb in the middle of the dash. Since deaths are far more frequent on Endless, this also helps raise the multiplier quicker than mere survival.

Of course, you probably know this, since your scores are generally better than mine (280m in Arcade, 23m in Endless). My PSN handle is Liabebrave.

Firewire

Banned
BobTheFork said:
O-O After a night of Star Dust, my eye have been reduced to smoking sockets, but its worth it. I'm currently on a mission to be 2nd place to BeatBox in every score list. I would take beating just one of his scores but that guy is a fucking mutant I swear, he's unstoppable. I managed to best everyone else in the time attacks, bomber, survival, and Lave planet Mode, but I only see scores from my friends list. Who else is a SSD demon I can add to my list? Damnit Sony, increase the friends limit already!!!!!

Holly crap! Do you have Queeg on you're friends list? He's got some crazy scores up, personally I don't know how both Beatbox & Queeg do it, or maybe its just that I suck at SSHD! :lol

chubigans said:
Awesome, thanks! Cool that you linked my interview over at IGN. :D

I'd honestly say that SSHD has the most impressive graphics I've seen on the PS3, or any console thus far. It's NUTS.

Didn't you get bitched out by Sony for that interview? :lol

Just a few observations from watching the Solo/Team add-on trailer from the UK store:

1. Two-player splitscreen co-op seems to be truly cooperative, just as with "classic" co-op. That's nice, because the fact that you don't stay centered on screen makes current co-op feel very weird and less precise.
2. Four-player splitscreen co-op looks to have some sort of team mechanic. The trailer shows 2vs2 teams, and the screenshot in this thread appears to show 1vs3 teams (note the indicators at the center). Is this dynamic, where others gang on the leader or something? Chosen before play starts?
3. When the players in four-player die, they have a prompt "Press [] to configure ship". I have no idea what this might mean, but it sounds like it might be tasty. . . .
4. One new planet at least, for the four-player. Definitely appears the new rock types there are indestructible, providing a maze you have to chase the other team through.

Firewire said:
Holly crap! Do you have Queeg on you're friends list? He's got some crazy scores up, personally I don't know how both Beatbox & Queeg do it, or maybe its just that I suck at SSHD! :lol
I beat queeg in everything but the normal arcade mode, and some of the planet modes.I'm in the topp 100 of most lists except endless.

soldat7

I'm thinking about buying this. If I buy the expansion then the graphics actually become BETTER? If so I'll pick that up too...

test_account

XP-39C²
soldat7 said:
I'm thinking about buying this. If I buy the expansion then the graphics actually become BETTER? If so I'll pick that up too...
I dont know if the graphics are better if you get the expansion pack (i havnt noticed any big changes in the graphics atleast, but on the other hand i dont have a HDTV so maybe thats why (if the expansion pack improves the graphics that is)). But the expansion pack adds more game modes which makes the game more fun in my opinion.

dog$ said:
It's more like - if you buy the expansion, the game becomes worthwhile to play.
I think the game was worthwhile to play even before the expansion pack came out (it that is what you mean?) :) I probly played it for more than 100 hours before the expansion pack came out. But ye, the expansion pack definitly adds more to the game which makes it more fun to play in my opinion.

Banned
soldat7 said:
I think it was probably the v3 patch that upgraded the graphics, it just coincided with the DLC.

Zoc

There's a version 3 patch now? WTF, Japan is still on version one. Why can't they sort out this region bullshit on PSN?

zoku88

I got x10 last night. Got all the way to the last boss without losing a life and a freakin ran into a stray asteroid cuz I wasn't paying attn >_< I was so pissed. I totally could've beaten my high score if not for that :(

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
is there a high score list for gaffers? i just pulled 64142270 in arcade, ranked 7177 all time. was pretty proud of that being ive only had the game 3 days.

Banned
I think I'm about 130M or so, but I just don't find it fun to keep playing past that point. (a level or two in after it loops)

I was really hoping the new patch would let you start on the harder modes rather than having to go through them all first. (at least if you get to them once it should unlock them)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
As far as visuals go, this new patch only adds some different exhaust particle effects to your ship depending on what kind of ship you create in the ship editor. Not a big change, but still neat.

tha_con

Banned
Played last night, got to 175M. Then died.

Cursed for about ten minutes.

Then remembered...there are trophies...the anger subsided when I realized I had unlocked 3 trophies during that time, and set a new high score for myself :) Now if only I could get to 200 Mil....

deepbrown

Hi-score 58 million :( How do you guys do it? i was impressed with myself...SIGH

Don't have the packs as I need the US one and I live in Europe :(

test_account

XP-39C²
deepbrown said:
Hi-score 58 million :( How do you guys do it? i was impressed with myself...SIGH

Don't have the packs as I need the US one and I live in Europe :(
I'd say that collecting as many point tokens possible while you are boosting your way through them is the one of the biggest keys got get alot of points (besides having a high score multiplier). When you boost (by pressing L2 (atleast that is the default button)) your way through many point tokens in one boost you will get multipliers on each of the point tokens. For example if you manage to collect 10 point tokens on 1 boost the points will be like this:

The 1st token: points x 2 (or maybe it is 1?)
The 2st token: points x 3
The 3rd token: points x 4
The 4th token: points x 5
The 5th token: points x 6

etc. etc.

If you have a 10X score multiplier one point token will give you 25,000 points. If you boost your way through 10 point tokens you will get a total of 1,625,000 points if i havnt calculated wrong. Doing this process many times through out the game will increase your points faster :)

Top Bottom