• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

bati

Goddamn this Dark Souls style of NPC interaction is so fucking obnoxious. I was talking to the npc when I noticed an enemy approaching (AAA tier design right there), didn't trigger any conversation options, only Goodbye. Fought the mob, got a little distracted and went further up where I died. On the return trip she wasn't there anymore.

This shit pisses me off so much.

I dunno maybe he was or wasn't, but the resulting commentary makes it seem as if that well thought out post was an issue. And it's just a quick line from a dude, I still think it's a little far to assume he thinks the game is straight worthless and that everyone else is a pleb.

I have no problem with a well-reasoned post for somebody not liking the game. I just think that quick line literally adds nothing to the conversation. I wouldn't have typed that and expected nobody to take issue with it.

All that off-topic stuff aside. I'm really enjoying The Surge.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Goddamn this Dark Souls style of NPC interaction is so fucking obnoxious. I was talking to the npc when I noticed an enemy approaching (AAA tier design right there), didn't trigger any conversation options, only Goodbye. Fought the mob, got a little distracted and went further up where I died. On the return trip she wasn't there anymore.

This shit pisses me off so much.
I was never a fan of that in the souls games and I'm not a fan of it now. At least shits more coherent this time around.

On another note; I really love play this with a mouse and keyboard, something other ARPGs of the same kind neglect to make work. Feels great.

Amazing, it's like we have different opinions on what people write. Sanctuary hasn't clarified so I am free to interpret what his reponse meant.

Time to move on though, thanks for playing.

Your making an accusation that another poster views people as as a fool etc, based off a small sentance. Neogaf is a global forum, people are bound to speak in different styles.
I dont know why posters in this thread are so ready to be toxic and rude to each other.

I have no problem with a well-reasoned post for somebody not liking the game. I just think that quick line literally adds nothing to the conversation. I wouldn't have typed that and expected nobody to take issue with it.

All that off-topic stuff aside. I'm really enjoying The Surge.

OTs are filled with nothingburger lines. In fact, so is NeoGAF. Even "I like the game" is a nothing line and then where do you draw the line on stuff?

Honestly it's better to ask the dude to clarify and if he doesn't want to, just move on. All this assumption and stuff is outta hand.

On the flipside Area 2's environments are better than the first one, so that helps. Are there guns at all besides the drone? None of the weapons are really my thing so far moveset wise, so maybe ranged would be fun.

Tecnniqe

Banned
^Area 3 and 4 got cool looks as well.

While I don't think there are dedicated player ranged weapons something like the
electro axe later on do a range move looking at the wave effect

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Your making an accusation that another poster views people as as a fool etc, based off a small sentance. Neogaf is a global forum, people are bound to speak in different styles.
I dont know why posters in this thread are so ready to be toxic and rude to each other.

Do you really have to even ask why?

*Splinter

Ok been sucking at area 2 for a few hours tonight (giggity) but I'm finally learning how to deal with enemies a little more reliably. The fat 3 legged thing that basically teaches you how to jump/duck took me way too long but they're no problem now, and I feel like I'm making progress again.

I've mostly been using the heaviest armour/weapons so far, but just switched to the lightest and was pleased with how different it feels. Think I'll stick with light armour for a little bit although I won't be able to upgrade it for a while.

The post he was responding to wasn't really saying that. Just seemed like that dude had a good grasp on how to outline what was wrong with the game in his opinion.

I dunno maybe he was or wasn't, but the resulting commentary makes it seem as if that well thought out post was an issue. And it's just a quick line from a dude, I still think it's a little far to assume he thinks the game is straight worthless and that everyone else is a pleb.
Oh no the original post was fine. Clearly explained his opinion based on playing a large chunk of the game, with reasonable points (some of which I'd agree with, some I wouldn't).

The post I lampooned was insidious, and I was only making its meaning explicit.

^Area 3 and 4 got cool looks as well.

While I don't think there are dedicated player ranged weapons something like the
electro axe later on do a range move looking at the wave effect

Damn.

But that sounds more dope than what I have.

Oh no the original post was fine. Clearly explained his opinion based on playing a large chunk of the game, with reasonable points (some of which I'd agree with, some I wouldn't).

Could be, couldn't be. As someone stated, NeoGAF is filled with people from different places with different dialects and different meanings on common phrases. I can see why you'd think that, but I honestly thought it could either way so asking him would be a better outcome tbh.

Djostikk

I was never a fan of that in the souls games and I'm not a fan of it now. At least shits more coherent this time around.

On another note; I really love play this with a mouse and keyboard, something other ARPGs of the same kind neglect to make work. Feels great.

So you are not a true Souls fan, huh?

*Splinter

You guys mixing armor or keeping one set for the bonus-A?
I've used full sets so far, but I just noticed the health bonus on the medium set is actually quite small. I like full sets aesthetically, but I might try a mix that uses eg. as much medium armour as possible while still keeping a "high" overall stability rating.

deoee

I was born... inside a prisoooon.

This song is stuck in my head.

This guy gets it!

I've used full sets so far, but I just noticed the health bonus on the medium set is actually quite small. I like full sets aesthetically, but I might try a mix that uses eg. as much medium armour as possible while still keeping a "high" overall stability rating.

Yeah I noticed that most bonusses are rather small or have limitations.

So now I mix light and heavy armor to decrease dodge stamina and increase impact with my 2nd boss weapon.

LCKellow1994

Neo Member
Does anyone know if you're able to destroy/sell weapons in your inventory? I have plenty I know I'll never use, and it bugs me just a little bit that I can't clean it up.

Apart from that, the game is a blast! Core level 39 in the second area and starting to get a little sweaty during fights.

*Splinter

Does anyone know if you're able to destroy/sell weapons in your inventory? I have plenty I know I'll never use, and it bugs me just a little bit that I can't clean it up.

Apart from that, the game is a blast! Core level 39 in the second area and starting to get a little sweaty during fights.
You can definitely sell implants, not sure about weapons though.

bati

Has anyone figured out the tactics for upgraded boss weapons yet? I've restarted because I got curious, got to the first boss and now I can't find any info on it lol.

N° 2048

Any tips for those three legged things that set fire around them and repair themselves?

It's hard getting to their exposed leg behind them.

LCKellow1994

Neo Member
Any tips for those three legged things that set fire around them and repair themselves?

I circle around them slowly, pretty much hugging them until they do the horizontal swipe which leaves their back leg exposed for 1-2 hits. It's been really effective so far.

VpomRurd

If you can damage each leg enough they'll repair themselves (as you know), at that point I circle to their weak leg and hit it as much as possible and repeat that cycle.

Radian8

Absolutely loved bloodborne. Should I play The Surge first or Nioh?

Both are great games. In saying that, i've put in maybe 6-8 hours, so not a huge amount, in to the Surge and i'm really enjoying it. The combat is satisfying and variety in combat/weapons is fantastic.

I put a lot of time in to Nioh and really really loved it.

Nioh is a pretty damn special game and I don't think people will have played enough of the surge yet to give you a definitive answer.

But I reckon you couldn't go too wrong with either. If you like the look of Demons & Old Japan go with Nioh. If you want to run around smashing stuff in a mech rig like out of Edge of Tomorrow, go with The Surge.

bati

Has anyone figured out the tactics for upgraded boss weapons yet? I've restarted because I got curious, got to the first boss and now I can't find any info on it lol.

To answer my question for the first boss:

You can't let his rockets hit him. This means you'll have to do enough damage to his legs to strip the armor and then when he does the stomp hit the opposite leg (the one that's on the ground) so he collapses.

Weapon: http://i.imgur.com/KjHd1EJ.png

edit: Also, I should've used energy->health conversion earlier. It's so good if you're using a high energy gain weapon (coupled with energy gain implant). Probably the best sustain for long stretches.

edit2: Oh shit this thing is beastly. I'll probably stick with rigged weapons for a while.

Sanctuary

Yes. This guy gets it. This one guy that didn't like the game much, he understands.

All those people enjoying the game right now? They only think they're enjoying it. Little do they know they aren't actually having fun, that they're all really bored because this is a Bad Game.

If only... If only there was something you could say to help them. Some argument or explanation to convince people that the game they're currently enjoying isn't actually fun and that they should stop playing. You could save them! Save them from this prison of wrong opinions and secretly bad games! Then they could go back to waiting for a real sci fi Souls to happen, with the rest of us real Souls fans.

Like this guy.

This guy that gets it.

I love the attempt at being clever, but you missed where I said anything about anyone else's enjoyment. Funny how not everyone has the same tolerance levels, or as long of a honeymoon period with A_NEW_GAME as others. Different people like differen't things. Astonishing!

Both are great games. In saying that, i've put in maybe 6-8 hours, so not a huge amount, in to the Surge and i'm really enjoying it. The combat is satisfying and variety in combat/weapons is fantastic.

I put a lot of time in to Nioh and really really loved it.

Nioh is a pretty damn special game and I don't think people will have played enough of the surge yet to give you a definitive answer.

But I reckon you couldn't go too wrong with either. If you like the look of Demons & Old Japan go with Nioh. If you want to run around smashing stuff in a mech rig like out of Edge of Tomorrow, go with The Surge.

Thank you! I'll probably go with Nioh for now and I'll play Surge after!

Murder

Absolutely loved bloodborne. Should I play The Surge first or Nioh?

Well this game is fucked...for real. Combat is awkward, movement is annoying, it's hard to see enemies doing any attacks up close. Nioh is the FAR superior game in every sense of the word.

Well this game is fucked...for real. Combat is awkward, movement is annoying, it's hard to see enemies doing any attacks up close. Nioh is the FAR superior game in every sense of the word.

I've never played Nioh but I do think the moves are pretty well telegraphed. The only trouble I have is when I lock myself in a long animation because I've been too greedy.

Murder

I've never played Nioh but I do think the moves are pretty well telegraphed. The only trouble I have is when I lock myself in a long animation because I've been too greedy.

Yeah that's a for sure but that's kind of the thing--if you mash attacks like you're one to do you get locked into an animation even after you've stopped pressing the buttons. In Souls/Borne/Nioh for example, if you mash, you can stop mashing well in advance to stop the animations from going through.

My main gripe was with the twin-blade enemies. You get up close and do a few swings and it's so hard to see their "wolverine" style X-slash attack up close. You wanna go up and kill enemies but its like ugh.

Dereck

Am I supposed to be finding the factory before or after the second area.

Because I beat the first boss and took the train back to production.

Haha, finally beat the Smelter in the Biolabs. Fun challenge, Deck 13. "Fun".

Unlocked a trophy btw. Did I unlock the Iron Maus Armor by completing this?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure how turning it off takes any more/less control away from the player....
TBH not really sure how it takes any control away from the player, like would you say backstabs/parry in souls take away control from the player?

I can understand not liking it in the surge, as its something you are doing constantly and its slow.
But thats not the case in nioh at all, you should only use executions on ki-starved enemies if you need iframes.

I mean control of the camera, specifically. It's nice that these special/execution moves give you invincibility, but the moment they're done I don't like having to swing the camera back around to frame enemies, etc.

Also saying "you should/shouldn't..." isn't a very valid argument. The fact is, these moves (in Nioh, Souls, etc.) are satisfying to pull off, and they form a part of my complete and nutritious gaming breakfast. I'll do them whenever I feel able, so it's nice that the devs give options to keep it user friendly. I was only wondering if The Surge did the same.

Wow, I think I got glitched. After I defeated the Smelter, I died and forgot to pick up the coin and now there's nothing there...

An enemy spawned outta nowhere WTF.

So no Iron Maus armor now...

Unless it takes 4.

Edit: Yep, I lose :(

Radian8

To answer my question for the first boss:

You can't let his rockets hit him. This means you'll have to do enough damage to his legs to strip the armor and then when he does the stomp hit the opposite leg (the one that's on the ground) so he collapses.

Weapon: http://i.imgur.com/KjHd1EJ.png

edit: Also, I should've used energy->health conversion earlier. It's so good if you're using a high energy gain weapon (coupled with energy gain implant). Probably the best sustain for long stretches.

edit2: Oh shit this thing is beastly. I'll probably stick with rigged weapons for a while.

So to get this weapon, you have to start again or wait for NG+?

pa22word

Is it just me or is there no or very little iframes on the dodge? Having a terrible time using it for anything but backdashing out of the way thus far.

Top Bottom