• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Total Recall remake is a better movie then the original

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calabi

Your opinion is

giphy.gif

I don't hate the remake, I don't think it deserved the amount of vitriol it got imo. A solid B-movie sci-fi action film. It was an entertaining watch.

But you just can't top the joyful hyperviolence of Verhoeven's films from that era. They are dark and absurd comedies and they have aged extremely well. Flesh and Blood (perhaps his most despicable film, a treasure), Total Recall, Robocop, Basic Instinct, Starship Troopers: they are true classics.

Look at the Robocop remake, it was well intentioned. They actually tried to update the satire and to make it even more vital to the story. But without Verhoeven's ultra-violent visuals and his nihilistic humor it was pointless.

Just in case the OP's brain hasn't been rattled back to sanity after two cam'ron bottle gifs. Here's another one

giphy.gif

Third times the charm. What say you OP?

Why does the prostitute have 3 breasts? In the original she was a mutant, but they weren't in this version.
Crap like the rest of the movie.

Disagree with OP.

The first one is the better film, it has better action sequences, a better overall story and better special effects.

If you look at the remake as a film on it's own and no rose tinted glasses to the original it is a soulless CGI borefest.

But that's my opinion

Garbage opinion. The remake was a miserable pile of shit. Not even a nice shit which wipes away cleanly, but one of those shits with the consistency of soft ice cream that leaves behind a fucking mess.

It has no value whatsoever. The entire world moved on and forgot about it the second the credits rolles. Everyone except for you.

Yeah ok, Verhoeven movies age horribly. That's why they're still influencing filmmakers today.

For a contrarian opinion, I was expecting a bit more weight to the argument. Which one will still be remembered in decades, the remake or the original? The original, of course.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
what a terrible opinion

i mean really just shit. you saw the same movie i saw right, where humans assemble robots and travel through the center of the earth on a train?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It didn't keep my attention. I turned it off when the leads were driving around in some futuristic car. I had no desire to see what was left and just let my rental expire.

Korigama

The remake is soulless, sterile, completely disposable tripe. It is one of the most generic sci-fi films imaginable, and has no place being compared to the original.

I didn't watch the original years ago. In fact, I just recently saw it for the first time and found it quite cheesy.

So it's hard for me to really disagree, because I enjoyed the remake more than expected.

The remake screws up the one thing that made the first film really interesting. The original plays around with whether Quaid is dreaming or everything is real. The remake fucks it all up by straight up telling you that everything is real and tries to halfheartedly fake the audience out.

Nairume

Banned
So I'm not against remakes. I really liked the remakes for both Ghostbusters and Robocop, the originals of which are still two of my favorite films of all time. I also was okay with the Conan reboot, even if the movie went downhill after the great first half hour.

That said, the Total Recall remake was garbage. There are certainly things to like about it, but plenty more to hate. You may dog on how people remember only the goofy and outlandish things from the original, but that's part of the reason people like it. It was a memorable movie where fun things happened. That can't be said for the remake.

I've only seen the remake and thought it was a decent flick. Does the original have the ambiguity of weather everything is real or not?

BajiBoxer

Banned
I thought the remake was ok. But I think letting Arnold play his very limited Arnold character is more entertaining than Colin Farrell playing a role.

I can't agree because what makes the original better for me is Arnie's charm mixed in with some cheese. You also never know if it's real or a dream. I will say this though that the remake is a good looking film.

The remake screws up the one thing that made the first film really interesting. The original plays around with whether Quaid is dreaming or everything is real. The remake fucks it all up by straight up telling you that everything is real and tries to halfheartedly fake the audience out.
When does it say everything is real in the remake? I never got that impression. As a matter of fact there were plenty of things thrown in to make me question it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom