• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Total Recall remake is a better movie then the original

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you gave any decent actor this much leeway in his performance he could perform on the same level as Arnold with ease.

No. What leeway? Arnold had that onscreen presence because he was cool. He wasnt schooled in acting and wasnt good by any acting standards...but thats exactly where he charmed his audience. He was cool and people wanted to see what he does to the villain.

Farrell is a better actor but that doesnt mean people are interested in seeing him.

Tunahead

This OP is a shambles. Let's critically analyze what's wrong with it:

Since people jumped on my comment in the Ghostbusters thread I wanted to explain the comment.

An ill judged start, the premise of the thread is an explanation of a comment as a rebuttal to a series of other comments in a separate thread entirely. None of these things are ever quoted or linked. One paragraph in, the thread has failed to convey any ideas or adequately explain itself. The connection to the Total Recall remake which the thread title alludes to isn't made apparent.

The new version has much better action then the old version, straight up

This is where the thread ultimately falls apart. The premise of the thread is now apparent, but it makes little sense. Threads are conversations. Strax has an opinion about Total Recall, but it's never elaborated on. The action is stated to be good, but no mention is made of what's good about it. Is it the editing? The camera work? Stunts? Special effects? We just don't know. It's impossible to engage with this kind of opinion. When this is all you have to work with, the best you can manage is a facile agreement or disagreement, as we've already seen. Is that what it is? Are we just supposed to leave a thumbs up or thumbs down, and maybe a subscribe? Are we being used as the test audience for a new Youtube channel? Does the author think all communication works like social media?

and of course it's not funny because it doesn't try to be funny.

The thread continues to deteriorate, as we've now devolved to simple observations. This isn't even an opinion anymore. It's just a statement of fact, and as such, you can't engage with it at all. Yes, movies that aren't comedies are indeed not comedies. No, actually non-comedy films are some of my favorite comedies, because I'm powerfully insane and it makes me laugh when people are harmed, either physically or emotionally. Neither of these responses would make any sense, because there is no sense. Sense has fully evacuated the thread now, and is heading for parts unknown.

Good looking sets, art and design

Once again, opinions are presented without comment. Things just look "good". Are the visual elements good because they're realistic, surrealistic, cohesive, chaotic, colorful, moody, what? How does this support the other elements of the film? Help me out here.

- the lens flares tho. Fuck lens flares.

Why?

Rest is ok.

Why does that merit a mention? It just makes it sound like Strax doesn't really care. This sentence lowers the quality of an already poor quality post just by existing.

There was no need for this movie

A glowing endorsement, truly.

but let's not kid ourselves, the action in the 1990 version was on Three Stooges level at points,

In what way? At what points? What about the rest of the film?

had terrible acting

Just in general or Arnold in particular? And how was it terrible? There's more than one kind of terrible acting. And was everyone's acting terrible in the exact same way, suggesting that perhaps it was the director that was at fault?

and the production design is lacking.

How?

I'm not saying the remake is a good movie I'm just saying it's better then the OG version.

This is an entirely vacuous way to contrast two films. One isn't good, the other one is worse. There's value in analyzing how and why, but the analysis itself remains absent.

Think about it for a sec, when you break it down all it does well is the weirdness.

Some examples would be nice.

Every time people write or talk about the movie it's always about the strange stuff or the concept.

Sweeping generalization. Penalty.

I've never heard people talk about the acting, editing or the cinematography, it's always just the 3 breasts, Quato and the drop of sweat.

Anecdotal evidence. Penalty.

Arnold is goofy as hell and if you gave any decent actor this much leeway in his performance he could perform on the same level as Arnold with ease.

This is the only part of the post I liked. A genuine criticism. Arnold's acting is described as bad. Then further elaboration is given how it's bad. It's not a particularly deep criticism, but if the rest of the post had this much thought put into it, I would have appreciated it much more. Proper articulation is what makes ideas and opinions interesting.

Not that Colin Farrell was amazing in the remake but at no point in his career could Arnold give that performance

Again, what was good about Colin Farrell's not amazing performance?

Paul Verhoeven is really good at themes and story but his movies age horribly.

Some examples of those themes would be nice. What's good about Paul Verhoeven's stories? Dialogue? Characters? Cohesive plots? How do the movies age horribly? Outdated special effects? Too zeitgeisty?

Ok, not all his movies age horribly.

CV0g5R252tox.gif

You drive a hard bargain. I was going to give this thread an F because of the rambling disjointed paragraphs, general lack of substance, and several penalties, but Sharon Stone and the one part where effort was made have swayed me.

Final grade: D-

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I never liked the original, always thought it massively overrated, thought the new one was ok. I suppose I agree with the OP, but don't feel that strongly about it either way.

nkarafo

The original is a MEMORABLE fun movie. The remake is a forgettable movie. I already forgot about it in fact.

3rdman

I'm willing to wager that the OP also can't sit through a black and white movie because its old and dated. Come at me bro!

marrec

Banned
The remake was a mostly forgettable action flick that wasn't offensive to watch.

The original is a classic of sci-fi cinema, one of the best of it's kind, and will stand the test of time. Verhoeven's vision of the future is so timeless and his social satire is biting and relevant even today.

Noema

I feel that the remake, besides being a mostly bland, at best serviceable, action romp in a sea of Sci fi action romps, also missed one of the main plot points of the original.

Spoilers in case someone hasn't watched the 1990 version.
In the original, the reason Cohagen wiped Hauser's memory was so they could infiltrate the rebels effectively to target and kill Quaato. They couldn't just use a covert agent to infiltrate the rebels since Quaato is a telepath. Thats the whole point of wiping Hauser's memory and creating the Quaid persona.

Quaid was manipulated by Cohagen and Hauser to travel to Mars and find Melina, who already knew and trusted Hauser, so she'd eventually lead him to Quaato. Since Quaid lacked Hauser's memories and was unaware of his intentions, Quaato couldn't tell Quaid was leading Cohagen and Michal Ironside to the rebels which ultimately doomed Quaato.

Since there're no mutants and no telepath in the remake, there's really no reason for Cohagen to wipe Houser's memory.

Anyone who says the remake is better is a pox upon society, probably likes pineapple on their pizza, eats said disgusting pizza with a knife and fork, and probably follows up with a dessert consisting of some sort of sweet chocolate chip pizza.

Sanctuary

giphy.gif

Anyone who says the remake is better is a pox upon society, probably likes pineapple on their pizza, eats said disgusting pizza with a knife and fork, and probably follows up with a dessert consisting of some sort of sweet chocolate chip pizza.

I've actually had to eat pizza twice with a fork and knife due to how much of a quivering mess it was. Pineapple on pizza is gross, but it's no worse than anchovies. Also seems to be really popular in California.

Thanks Maddox.

Congratulations to whoever posted the Jean-Paul Belmondo gif. We need more of those.
Also, I'm watching Total Recall again right now. Many thanks to the posters in this thread for leading me back to the glory of Verhoeven. So many bystanders getting randomly shot and spurting out blood everywhere. Thank you GAF.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I don't think I agree, but I actually enjoyed the Total Recall remake. I love the original, and wasn't sure how I felt about a remake, but it was entertaining enough. Not a movie I want to own, but I didn't regret watching it on a lazy Sunday at home. Lazy Sundays are when I usually watch movies I never intended on watching. Some of them have surprised me and I enjoyed them a lot. Like Ex Machina (not that I didn't want to watch it, as I loved Sunshine, but it wasn't high up on my list. Rented it from Amazon one Sunday, and loved it. I must buy it on Blu Ray at some point).

I also actually liked the Fright Night remake too. I don't even like Colin Farrell, so I have no idea what's going on here. I admit he was pretty great as the sleazy vampire in it though.

Lupercal

Banned
The gifs in this thread are better than the remake, sorry OP.

Total Recall may not be the best movie from the 80s or not even Schwarzenegger's best but it trumps the remake easily.

BokehKing

Banned
Young people want their films to be relevant too

That's what I get out of this

100 years from now when people talk about total recall, they will be talking about the original not the reboot.

Strax

So I rewatched the OG with audio commentarty and after that I do like it more but I stand by my OP. People are saying the remake is soulless and empty and I kinda like that because it goes in diverts so much from OG in terms of style and that was a big risk.

Young people want their films to be relevant too

That's what I get out of this

100 years from now when people talk about total recall, they will be talking about the original not the reboot.

When is the the cut off point for young people? I'm 28.

And like I said before only 3 out of my 10 fav. movies are made after 1990 so its not like I don't enjoy older movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom