• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Trials HD Official Thread

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I had a feeling someone might do this - I always knew there was more fun to be extracted from the Kickstart / Flash trials game format. Can't wait until tomorrow!

Nelo Ice

Banned
web01 said:
Only being able to share with friends and not random people sucks.
You should be uploaded to public server so people can browse and rate them.

Awesome level makers wont get to share there level designs with many people so there wont be much incentive for them to make levels.

heres why they cant do it
http://www.redlynxtrials.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1499

Little Big planet has global sharing system between all players. Everyone can access content made by everyone without knowing them. A system like this requires huge server capacity and lots of paid moderators to check out all the levels before they can be available to all other players. In a system like this, the moderators are checking that no levels contain any vulgar stuff or break any copyrights. No Xbox 360 games yet have a system like this, and I am not sure if Microsoft is going to announce any this generation, as it requires lots of server capacity and work force.

In Trials HD you can share your tracks between your friends. This way there is no legal problems with vulgar content, as you personally know your friends and have accepted them to your friends list. The best level creators will receive lots of friend requests I believe, and we will have a forum topic about level trading to help finding good level creators to add to your friend list. One copyright issue we had to take care about was that once a level has been created by a player, no other players can edit it or share it as their own level. Only the creator of the level can share it. We are pretty happy how the sharing system ended up considering the limited resources available for Xbox Live Arcade games. No other Xbox Live Arcade game has this advanced level sharing functionality yet.

MMaRsu

Banned
web01 said:
Only being able to share with friends and not random people sucks.
You should be uploaded to public server so people can browse and rate them.

Awesome level makers wont get to share there level designs with many people so there wont be much incentive for them to make levels.

Sure I understand that, but a system like that is simply not in place. Also it would require massive amounts of time from admins going through every level to see if anything vulgar is in there, which is not appropriate.

EazyB

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Sure I understand that, but a system like that is simply not in place. Also it would require massive amounts of time from admins going through every level to see if anything vulgar is in there, which is not appropriate.
That can't be right. Halo 3 and Far Cry 2 have much more comprehensive level editors yet you can download anything and search for it as well. It may be a XBLA restriction but if it is it's bullshit. I wish this was coming to steam and can't see myself spending $15 for this on the 360 but I'm glad people are excited for it; I'll stick with Trails 2 for now.

EazyB said:
That can't be right. Halo 3 and Far Cry 2 have much more comprehensive level editors yet you can download anything and search for it as well.
I can't speak for Far Cry 2... but you can only play custom maps (well, Forge stuff) in Halo 3 if you download it off the person who created it (or if you're playing with them). They're not stored in any sort of online repository for people to get at.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Psychotext said:
I can't speak for Far Cry 2... but you can only play custom maps (well, Forge stuff) in Halo 3 if you download it off the person who created it (or if you're playing with them). They're not stored in any sort of online repository for people to get at.
Bungie.net allows you to search and download anything.

Iknos

Psychotext said:
It does? I've never used the website to be honest.

I'd just not seen that sort of functionality in game.

Yeah it does I'm reading up on it because I think that T10 will do something similar to Halo 3 for Forza 3.

You can upload your files to Bungie's servers and from there anyone can grab them. If you have "Bungie Pro" you can upload more files and also create online movies.

Speaking of Forza the Auction House was similar as well it was a centralized server moving gigabytes of livery data. That functionality was in-game.

I look forward to trying this demo. Seemed like something that got a lot of praise at E3.

Another review:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=12790

9/10

Playing Trials HD is like having RedLynx sitting behind you performing complex brain surgery to manually tweak your fun neurons. It's brilliantly crafted and utterly bonkers.

What's more, with such layered and near-endless challenges, not to mention the addition of a remarkably powerful level creator, you'll be firing this up for a quick blast for years to come. We don't say this often, deeply cynical as we are, but if for some ludicrous self-abusing reason you only buy one XBLA game this year, make it Trials HD.

Jonsoncao

Banned
http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/101/1012642p1.html

8.5 Presentation
An impressive feature set that really takes advantage of Xbox Live.
8.5 Graphics
Runs smoothly and sports nice lighting effects.
8.0 Sound
The metal soundtrack does a pretty good Metallica impression. Voice work from Viva La Bam and Jackass cast members is pretty obnoxious, though.
8.0 Gameplay
It's a blast when the game opens up and sends you careening down rollercoaster tracks. But later levels get bogged down with frustrating challenges.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
Trophy hunting adds a lot of replay value and level sharing greatly extends the life of the game.
Impressive OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Looks like the doubters are gonna be eating crow. I've been hyping this game since I played it at E3. It was one of, if not the most entertaining gaming experience I had at the show.

MMaRsu

Banned
Well as far as I know XBLA games usually go up at 10/11AM GMT. So when I wake up, Trials HD will be there :D

Eric WK

Smash88 said:
Apparently, we're both wrong. :lol

2am Pacific Time, so 3am Mountain, 4am Central and 5am East Coast.

Also it depends on the content being released.

:lol

You're right. I've been up for XBLA releases enough to know that. Don't know why I thought 3 instead of 2.

Yeah, XBLA is always on that schedule, though.

Iknos

SapientWolf said:
Looks like the doubters are gonna be eating crow. I've been hyping this game since I played it at E3. It was one of, if not the most entertaining gaming experience I had at the show.

I remember seeing the XBLA Summer Deal thread and so many people were saying they'd get every game but pass up on Trials HD so they wouldn't take advantage of the deal.

I wanted to say something because all the E3 impressions I read raved about the game. But I didn't because I didn't play it myself.

But it looks like all those people should reconsider. Besides M vs. C 2 it's going to be the only other XBLA game I'm considering to pick up this summer.

I can see people not digging it or whatever but it seemed like people were unfairly dismissing this game. Like anything people should just try the demo and decide.

Iknos said:
I remember seeing the XBLA Summer Deal thread and so many people were saying they'd get every game but pass up on Trials HD so they wouldn't take advantage of the deal.

Anybody who bought that awful Turtles games and passes on this one needs to be punched in the jaw!

MMaRsu

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
Anybody who bought that awful Turtles games and passes on this one needs to be punched in the jaw!

True that.. I am truly pissed off that I bought that game. I thought it was going to be loads of fun but it really isn't, which is pretty sad. It's lifeless and beatable within 20 minutes, with no desire to replay it whatsoever.

This game on the other hand seems to have so much replayability.

Nelo Ice

Banned
im buying this game but might buy turtles in time just for the sole reason to get it free with the rebate since im getting shadow complex as well :lol

Jonsoncao said:
But later levels get bogged down with frustrating challenges.
This makes me think Day 3 or 4. Like to hear some impressions first. Money is tight and I just dropped 800 on Splosion Man that I just didn't have the skills or patience for.

Eric WK

CitizenCope said:
This makes me think Day 3 or 4. Like to hear some impressions first. Money is tight and I just dropped 800 on Splosion Man that I just didn't have the skills or patience for.

I hate to say it, but based on my experience with Splosion Man and Trials 2, Trials is an entirely different league of difficulty.

dLMN8R

My brother works at a games site and he said that Trials HD is one of those very rare games that gets the entire office obsessed for weeks. Everyone either playing it or watching other people play it.

Seems like a solid buy :D

MMaRsu

Banned
Only a few hours away and still barely any hype.. this makes me sad. The game has been getting 9's and 1 8.3 o_O. Gaf hates good games confirmed :p.

MMaRsu said:
Only a few hours away and still barely any hype.. this makes me sad. The game has been getting 9's and 1 8.3 o_O. Gaf hates good games confirmed :p.

It's a good game for what it is, but not everyone likes what it is it seems.

I really think the appeal of the game is too niche to be an instant success, but hopefully good word of mouth will mean it will have legs.

MMaRsu

Banned
Keyser Soze said:
It's a good game for what it is, but not everyone likes what it is it seems.

I really think the appeal of the game is too niche to be an instant success, but hopefully good word of mouth will mean it will have legs.

I also think the demo will convince quite a few people :). If it's a good demo that is.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
web01 said:
load of crap realy and a pathetic excuse.
files would be in kb just telling the game where to place items and goals.

Real reason = they most likely want to sell us DLC levels the same as N+
I suspect that it's an MS thing rather than a Redlynx thing since the PC version of Trials 2 had tons of free downloadable levels.

Top Bottom