• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

The EU had a small fault in the situation.
The union wanted Greece to join that badly, they overlook those damaging facts, which were well known at the time (you can't simply join the EU, without showing your books). Even so Greece wasn't ready to join the EU with those loopholes and all of the corruption intact, they got in. Then they never drastically helped Greece to change and everything blown up at the end.
The EZ also had a pretty terrible way of addressing these crisis in Greece as well as other EZ economies that hit the breaks. Blaming just the EZ for that is dumb though, but, one should also acknowledge that these nations are no longer in control of their monetary policy. But we reaaaally don't need another Grexit thread.

liquidtmd

Banned
BREAKING: Contrary to UKs opinion on immigration, Government release statement saying 'FUCKITY FUCK WE NEED TRADE NEGOTIATORS FROM ACROSS EU STAT"

It would be funny if they tossed in nuclear disarmement as a condition.

Farage: "I've paved the way for Nuclear disarmament drives, where's my Nobel Peace Prize"

LOL

Calling Theodorakis and Tzimeros neoliberal is ignorant as fuck.
Also, blaming Greece's problems on the "neoliberalism" boogyman or even liberal policies is also moronic.

For the past 40 years, when it comes to how the state does business, allows people to conduct business, economical freedom, and state interventionism in general, the country has been acting like the unofficial 16th member of the soviet union.

WTF are they then?
I am not blaming neoliberalism for the problems, I just fail to see how it will solve them.
Reducing worker's right on an economy with 25% unemployment is lunacy. Consumer confidence is already at rock bottom.
Also you call me ignorant and yet tell me Greece was a communist economy?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Of course there can be back-room 'unofficial discussions'. Doesn't have to be negotiations. Sounding out what a likely deal might be. TBH it probably isn't needed - the government will know what they can and can't negotiate quickly.

If they want EEA they can probably get that done within the 2 year separation window and have a smooth transition. I'd guess we could probably negotiate to add passporting of services to protect London in there without too much added time.

Anything other than that and we would likely have to leave before any trade deal could be finalised, and then we'd be treated like any other country - i.e fuck off and have these tariffs. Closely followed by tax incentives to move all the car manufacturing plants to the mainland

Breaking news : government made of two dogs, one cat, three ducks, a shoelace, three briefcases, a pack of crackers and one wig leads country to unheard of levels of prosperity as continental powers scramble to reproduce that model.
Historic images as the new Tory leaders approach 10 Downing street
mother-duck-and-her-ducklings-walk-past-the-front-door-of-number-10-picture-id452134712

Metal B

Prediction:
Article 50 is continually delayed further and further into the future.
This will not happen. The EU wants to the UK to pull the plug as soon as possible. If not, the EU will properly apply "sanctions" against the UK, similar how they act as the FPÖ grow to power in Austria, and the UK will have a even harder position in future negotiations.

Biggzy

So Jeremy Hunt is thrown his hat into the ring. Can you imagine him trying to out negotiate Merkel? He barely could out negotiate a bunch of doctors for crying out loud.

Maledict

Yeah, this is totally crazy. Handing out citizenships like candy.

Of course they would. Someone earlier in the thread said that the ultimate power we had in negotiations was that we would kick out all the EU immigrants here, as if that were some sort of trump card.

Yes, lets kick out all the working people who contribute to the tax basis and help pay for the country. Lets kick out the skilled health workers and professionals. I'm sure Poland wouldn't want all of those trained, motivated, working age people back at all!

The delusion people have over immigration is blinding.

Nilaul

Vacant positions in the shadow cabinet:

Shadow first secretary of state
Shadow business secretary
Shadow minister for housing and planning
Shadow attorney general
Shadow secretary of state for Scotland
Shadow secretary of state for Wales
Shadow secretary of state for culture, media and sport
Shadow leader of the House of Commons

No experience necessary. Please submit your CV to shadow@gov.uk

theaface

So Jeremy Hunt is thrown his hat into the ring. Can you imagine him trying to out negotiate Merkel? He barely could out negotiate a bunch of doctors for crying out loud.

We shouldn't do doctors a disservice. They are smart. Current MPs, on the whole, are proving themselves not to be.

Hazzuh

Hunt is a genius at falling upwards, in 10 years he will be dictator for life of a new British Empire which encompasses a quarter of the globe and no one will know how it happened.

Joni

Of course they would. Someone earlier in the thread said that the ultimate power we had in negotiations was that we would kick out all the EU immigrants here, as if that were some sort of trump card.

Yes, lets kick out all the working people who contribute to the tax basis and help pay for the country. Lets kick out the skilled health workers and professionals. I'm sure Poland wouldn't want all of those trained, motivated, working age people back at all!

And mainly, let's kick out Farage's wife and kids!

Pixieking

Banned

Well, when he says something like this:

He also called for all the prospective Tory leadership contenders to promise that the current 110,000 EU citizens working in the UK would be granted permanent residence.

He seems to be one of the few talking vague sense. Which is a world gone topsyturvy.

Biggzy

We shouldn't do doctors a disservice. They are smart. Current MPs, on the whole, are proving themselves not to be.

I know and I am just highlighting the incompetence of our politicians and civil service and how they will be going against one of the most powerful and shrewdest people in the world.

oti

Banned

Now others like Germany and France need to do the same and *poof*, an entire generation of UK's aspiring Academics (studying abroad) is most probably gone.

This is insane. And thinking some people thought UK had the upper hand in this.

Doc_Drop

I would legitimately riot and protest if Hunt was PM, speaking as an NHS employee he is an absolute shit and deserves no power on making decisions.

Prediction:

New PM will take over. (Boris will try his hardest not to win, as a way to avoid the shit show that is about to happen, but he probably will.)

Article 50 is continually delayed further and further into the future.

By September there will be a growing desire for a second referendum.

Either the end of this year or the beginning of next year there will be a second referendum.

My prediction is the opposite to yours

New PM will take over - Theresa May over Boris Johnson, as I think more Tories will back her than Boris, who is now tainted by this current fiasco.

Article 50 will be triggered by new PM (be it May or whoever else) - if it doesn't happen when new PM is in place, EU will place more and more threats against us in the form of weaker deals until it happens.

No second referendum. This hasn't even been hinted at by anyone in Parliament, has it? Everyone has been quite clear that the referendum result has to be respected, in this regard.

Nilaul

He also called for all the prospective Tory leadership contenders to promise that the current 110,000 EU citizens working in the UK would be granted permanent residence.

I'm not sure if I would want a permanent UK residence even if they paid me; considering the shit hole this country is becoming.

I kind of tuned out most of the nonsense from both campaigns after checking out a few things from both. Was immigration even a topic before Farage brought it up? I was confuzzled when I discovered it'd even been a thing because even a cursory glance over EU trade showed that it was nigh on impossible to get a free-trade-agreement without agreeing to free movement and we'd managed to evade the schengen area with our current membership which was about as good as you could ever really get... unless they were planning on trading with just WTO standards? :s

TheCrackInTime

Neo Member

Hasney

Can't be any worse.

That's the thinking that got Leave some of their votes.

Osbourne is a twat, no doubt, but if he was to quit now, it would look like the forecasts are as bad or worse than expected and lead to more drops I would suspect. May as well put up with him for a few more months before he's replaced.

In the EU case, it helps that said exports come from a large number of separate states instead of just one country. Not only that greatly ameliorates the hit, but allows for some maneuverability.

But that's really only relevant to the games and machinations of politicians. To the businesses that lost their contract to supply a UK business with Mercedes trucks or the French mountain rescue with Land Rover's, £100m is £100m, irrespective of how much of the total pie that represents. A loss of, say, €5bn in exports both ways is likely to represent the loss of approximately the same number of jobs across the same number of businesses etc. Those people won't really care about the total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom