• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't blame him not wanting to share a stage with Cameron honestly and I wouldn't want him to. The second quote is more troubling but as bad as it looks I take from that is that he wanted to distance himself from the rhetoric that clearly did not work coming from the remain campaign

Which would have been a canny political move if remain had won, but just like Cameron, he bet his political future on this referendum, things did not go his way, and now he ends up looking like a lame duck. Except unlike Cameron, he doesn't seem to realise the stake he had in this referendum, and doesn't seem to think that a Brexit affects anything (or is even worth discussing).

Hasney

So let me get this right.

Given we know pretty much this whole thing has been a blunder from Boris to become PM, he's not even going to run now?

Nah, Lynton is a campaigner, so he will be leading the campaign for Boris most likely.

Gove was there to nod and smile like any good wife to a Tory leadership candidate.

Any update in the past 8ish hours?

I heard there was a debate or something to do with the European Parliament - any idea?

European parliament was just posturing and speeches, but we did get a decent speech from Scotland and this wonderful gif:

yjfkmo.gif

xmlpLDp.gif

SuperSah

Banned
Nah, Lynton is a campaigner, so he will be leading the campaign for Boris most likely.

Gove was there to nod and smile like any good wife to a Tory leadership candidate.

European parliament was just posturing and speeches, but we did get a decent speech from Scotland and this wonderful gif:

yjfkmo.gif

xmlpLDp.gif

Hahaha.

So nothing newsworthy?

Nilaul

So you're perfectly fine with what the EU did to Greece?

I would rather have EU run Greece for a few years then my own Greek government; at-least the government wouldn't be blocking investments (or delaying it forever) for no reason whatsoever (Hellinkion, AEKS stadium, votanikos etc.). Investments where the Greek government wouldn't have to put a cent into.

Z3K

This country is dead to me and I don't wish to remain a part of it.

That woman speaking led me to tears.

Finally the true face of this country is revealed due to this Brexit, and maybe now we start to actually address this xenophobia head on instead of thinking everything is fine and dandy.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Leave it to the Brits to sink their own ship just to prank their captain.

kmag

She is doing herself no favours but she is in a difficult place, funny thing is the potential list of Tory leadership candidates contains no one who is not hated by Scottish voters. I can see the end of the so call Tory revival in Scotland ending now.

That 'revival' was so overstated, they basically returned to the 20-25% they used to get in the 90% and that's with a Scottish Labour party so up it's own chuff that it couldn't find daylight with the glow from Tony Blair's teeth. Oh and a party leader who loves the Tory party so much she spend an entire campaign running a highly personalised campaign which she and her candidates basically ran as the Ruth Davidson party.

It's not a dictatorship - she's unconcerned.

I'd like to see what happens next, and if this will actually turn out better for the citizens of the U.K.
You still believe this has a chance of being good? Can't believe there's still people like this

Finally the true face of this country is revealed due to this Brexit, and maybe now we start to actually address this xenophobia head on instead of thinking everything is fine and dandy.
What? Only racists are Americans with their crazy shoot 'em up bang bang laws and chips killing blacks. There's nothing even close to that in Europe.

Christopher

You still believe this has a chance of being good? Can't believe there's still people like this.

I believe the people voted for their best interest, and I want to see what happens before I claim the sky is falling down like everyone else is. Nothing like this has been done before in modern history -let's see what happens.

Did I miss something and LBC turned lefty? Last I remember paying any attention to them a good few years ago, they certainly weren't.

I think it depends on the person in the seat. James O'Brien frequently pops up as a dude who attacks right wing shit, but then again that's probably my echo chamber ;D

Doc_Drop

Which would have been a canny political move if remain had won, but just like Cameron, he bet his political future on this referendum, things did not go his way, and now he ends up looking like a lame duck. Except unlike Cameron, he doesn't seem to realise the stake he had in this referendum, and doesn't seem to think that a Brexit affects anything (or is even worth discussing).

I take from that the fact that he will just act in the interest of the majority vote and he always intended to.

To me this highlights the division of politics as a game/match rather than actual policy that is in the interests of the public. people are more worried about winning and losing elections than the content of intended policy. I'm perhaps idealistic or naive in this but I'll never vote in order for someone to win I'll vote for the policies they intend to put forward.

I'll let this Corbyn talk go though in this thread as it's not really the point of the thread. Thanks for the insight anyone who responded to me

I believe the people voted for their best interest, and I want to see what happens before I claim the sky is falling down like everyone else is. Nothing like this has been done before in modern history -let's see what happens.
Yeah who needs experts and facts, not sure why I'm surprised anymore. You sound like a Trump figurehead.

dealer-

I think the more worrying thing is that they are so young. I'm just not expecting that level of hate from essentially children. Not in 2016.

Well it's not like the adults were any better in the run up to this referendum. They are more impressionable and regurgitating some of the rhetoric they have been fed for the last few months.

JoeM86

Sigh, I really do want my country back.

This has been a catastrophe from the get-go. It has caused racists to feel validated and output that validation. We are a nation that has been built on the migration of others. Vikings, Romans, Normans, Celts etc. all were fundamental to this country and yet how many of them originated here. Not a damned one of them. The idea of Britain for the British is laughable at best. What is British?

Parliament needs to nip this in the bud. Other EU countries have had referendums pertaining to the EU where the slim majority said No but it was overturned. This NEEDS to be the outcome. The economy is crashing. The promises will be unfulfilled due to being unfeasible. Taxes will raise. The pound will drop.

I am a sad panda :(

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

yjfkmo.gif

xmlpLDp.gif

While watching it, I hoped someone would gif it

Did I miss something and LBC turned lefty? Last I remember paying any attention to them a good few years ago, they certainly weren't.

Not sure cause I don't listen to LBC, I just tend to catch snippets like this now and then. From what I know James O'Brien is a bit of a lefty.

liquidtmd

Banned
Senior staff from the campaign “begged” Corbyn to do a rally with the prime minister, according to a senior source who was close to the Remain campaign. Corbyn wanted nothing to do with the Tory leader, no matter what was at stake. Gordon Brown, the Labour prime minister whom Cameron vanquished in 2010, was sent to plead with Corbyn to change his mind. Corbyn wouldn’t. Senior figures in the Remain camp, who included Cameron’s trusted communications chief Craig Oliver and Jim Messina, President Obama’s campaign guru, were furious.

This is why our Generation of politicians need to all die off, metaphorically.

This just makes me explode inside. I have no political affiliation and with shit like this still ongoing, have no interest in attaining. Attitudes like this from all sides in various doses.

This is our country's future at stake. Take your fucking ego out of this.

Well at least after all this fallout, the tories will unite behind what is best for the country and not descend into petty in-fighting and tactical actions for their own benefit at the cost of us all.

The Tories are an election-winning machine. They'll thrive.

Labour...

eh.

Metal B

Greece's main problem was that it was spending a hell of a lot more than it earned in taxes. And in return, Greek governments, democratically elected with 40-45% of the vote borrowed large sums of money that the country could not pay back. In 2009, one year before the collapse of the economy, the gov had borrowed a ridiculous amount of money, about €25 billion. That money didn't go towards some elaborate public works projects or anything that would help develop the country's infrastructure and create tax-paying jobs. It was instead used to pay the pensions of hundreds of thousands of public workers, that weren't needed in the first place and who had taken advantage of a thousand different loopholes in the legislation in order to go into retirement at the ages of 50 or 40 or in some extreme cases 30.
Yeah. It's pretty unfair to say that this was all the EUs fault when stuff like that was going on.
The EU had a small fault in the situation.
The union wanted Greece to join that badly, they overlook those damaging facts, which were well known at the time (you can't simply join the EU, without showing your books). Even so Greece wasn't ready to join the EU with those loopholes and all of the corruption intact, they got in. Then they never drastically helped Greece to change and everything blown up at the end.

Omikaru

This is nothing to do with "Blairites". There's like, not even 20 of them left in parliament. People need to stop spinning this weird mythical scary beast of the "Blairites".

FFS, Seema Mulhotra resigned. She's a close friend of John McDonnel. The Eagle sisters resigned. These are not centre left people! Not all of the world's ills are due to the spooky "Blairites".

It's simply the fact he is terrible as a leaser, totally unelectable, AND just sabotaged the Remain campaign deliberately.

Can't argue with this. I support Corbyn, I generally agree with many of his policies, but I want the man himself gone. He has not grown into the role and the public deserve better than this. That said, I think the way the party has stage managed their coup has been despicable, and they've hurt their party in the long run as they are pushing the narrative that it was Labour's fault for this (ergo, the economic mess that follows) instead of rightly laying into the crass irresponsibility of David Cameron and the Conservative Party, where the blame squarely lays.

That said, despite me wanting a change of Labour leadership, I feel the party's mid-term prospects are weak. I think they are clapped out, lack vision, and in true progressive style they need replacing with a party/movement that is more attuned to today's issues. But for now, we need them.

Why hasn't Osborne quit yet?
He will go when the new PM makes his cabinet. Until then he will be part of this lame duck government.

Prediction:

New PM will take over. (Boris will try his hardest not to win, as a way to avoid the shit show that is about to happen, but he probably will.)

Article 50 is continually delayed further and further into the future.

By September there will be a growing desire for a second referendum.

Either the end of this year or the beginning of next year there will be a second referendum.

Remain will win, probably by a bigger majority compared to leave this time.

The PM will either resign or face a vote of no confidence (Most likely because the new PM will be someone who campaigned for Leave).

The UK stays in the EU, with egg applied to the facial region.

I've heard people say that they majority of voters have spoken, but honestly. This vote was so close, if the election had been a day earlier or a day later it could have gone either way. And now that Leavers seem to be changing their mind and even the leaders of that campaign seem to be trying to back their promises down, it's not unreasonable to expect a second ref to come in majority remain.

oti

Banned
UK cannot be 'Switzerland with nukes' - German MEP

German MEP Christian Ehler, a member of Angela Merkel's Christian Democrat Party, says there is "no other way" for the UK to start negotiations other than by triggering Article 50.

There will be "no back door" and no informal negotiations, he tells The World at One.

He suggests that the UK cannot be "Switzerland with nukes and a global perspective", adding: "We are going to expel Switzerland at the beginning of the next year from all of the European programmes" because the Swiss people rejected freedom of movement in a recent referendum.

"Why should we treat anyone else differently than we treat Switzerland?"

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-36570120

tomtom94

Not sure cause I don't listen to LBC, I just tend to catch snippets like this now and then. From what I know James O'Brien is a bit of a lefty.

Wish he'd take them to task for employing Hopkins and inviting Farage on constantly with the same venom he is attacking the Sun.

Just have the shitty red briefcase standing on a chair. That would be better then Osborne.
Breaking news : government made of two dogs, one cat, three ducks, a shoelace, three briefcases, a pack of crackers and one wig leads country to unheard of levels of prosperity as continental powers scramble to reproduce that model.

grumpy

The EU had a small fault in the situation.
The union wanted Greece to join that badly, they overlook those damaging facts, which were well known at the time (you can't simply join the EU, without showing your books). Even so Greece wasn't ready to join the EU with those loopholes and all of the corruption intact, they got in. Then they never drastically helped Greece to change and everything blown up at the end.

I'll give you that. The EU institutions should have pushed Greece faster and a hell of a lot harder to deal with corruption and implementing all the structural reforms that were needed (and that the country should have done by itself ages ago in the first place).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom