• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The very best beer you ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotto

I'm still trying new beers frequently but my favorite at the moment has to be Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus. Not pricey at all and hits all the right notes for me.

Schneider_Weisse_Tap_6_Unser_Aventinus.JPG

Eusis

I love *user name*
Haha, I was intrigued by the name and checked that out as one of my first beers. Better than Fosters, but it was like diving into Demon's Souls as one of your first video games ever. Tried it again recently and it's still a bit much for me, though I liked the Double Bastard. Must be like double negatives or numbers looping around in coding.

Haha, I was intrigued by the name and checked that out as one of my first beers. Better than Fosters, but it was like diving into Demon's Souls as one of your first video games ever. Tried it again recently and it's still a bit much for me, though I liked the Double Bastard. Must be like double negatives or numbers looping around in coding.

If you a bit thrown off by ABA, try the Oaked Arrogant Bastard, it is a bit smoother. Like I side I love nearly everything Stone has tossed out, but it is not something that I would session drink. Most of their beers are heavy, which is wonderful, but not something I can drink on a daily basis.

With that said, we are having a BBQ tomorrow for my birthday and a Mother's day mixture, there will be plenty of heavy drinking. St. Arnold Divine Reserve 14 will be had, its supposed to be a Strong golden ale. Looking forward to it.

The very best I've ever had:

iGcwhkNKwNR1a.jpg

11% Belgian tripel aged in bourbon barrels and tastes like what the Gods must drink. Find it, enjoy it, share it with people you like.

But as a singular moment my bestest beer was a Bud Light, ice chilled in the waters of May Lake Yosemite and paired with grilled steak over our campfire, under a quiet and starry night that capped off a week long hike from the valley through to Half Dome and then back around.

Our feet ached, and we'd had nothing but very long treks, iodine tablet flavored water, and MREs. So that moment in that stillness under that resplendent Milky Way with them steaks, it was simply perfection.

aasoncott

Smoke on the Lager, a rauchbier brewed by Tariq Khan of Big Ridge Brewing. Only lasted a season, and when there were only a few kegs of it left my wife and I tracked them down and tried to drink it out of existence. We didn't succeed, but we contributed heavily to its demise.

It was the first rauchbier I'd ever had, and I've been searching for a replacement. But it turns out every other rauchbier I've been able to find is...just gross. There was something really, really special about Smoke on the Lager. I miss it greatly.

So far as best EXPERIENCE drinking a beer, it was the first time I sipped on a Southern Tier Choklat Stout.

It had yet to make its way to the West Coast at that time, so a Philly friend of mine had brought it back to PDX after a trip home and gave it to me. We held onto it for about a year, and only popped it open to celebrate a long day of moving from our old house to a new one.

We'd been told that it was the smoothest chocolate stout that had ever been made. That it was essentially a 10% ABV milkshake. That it would taste "like the bottom of a bowl of cocoa puffs after you've eaten every last bite and the milk is all you have left - but it will get you fucked up."

So we finally cracked the thing, and we were like "it's not going to be THAT, but hopefully it'll be good"

So we took a sip, and we laid out on the single mattress in the middle of the living room, and we said "holy fucking shit, they weren't lying in the slightest."

And then we killed the rest of the bottle and crashed out.

southern_tier_choklat.jpg

Westvleteren 12. It won a crapton of awards, and for good reason. That beer is one of the most delicious things I've ever tasted in my life. Not too bitter, with a delicious fruity taste.

EviLore bought me and a mate a bottle here in Bruges, actually, since they were €12 or something. They're only brewed in very limited quantities.

Kwak is another personal favorite of mine. Just goes down so smoothly. And that glass is awesome.

May16

When I was 17, I drank a very good beer.
It was a very good beer I purchased with a fake ID.
My name was Brian McGee.
I stayed up listening to Queen.
When I was 17.

Lazyslob

Banned
Really liked
side-image.png

a friend bought me this once and i hated this beer. maybe i like shitty beer too much but it just straight up tasted fucky. i mean i drank it cause im not NOT drinking beer but i wasnt feeling it and neither was my other buddy. it was a while ago and i was plastered but ew.

a friend bought me this once and i hated this beer. maybe i like shitty beer too much but it just straight up tasted fucky. i mean i drank it cause im not NOT drinking beer but i wasnt feeling it and neither was my other buddy. it was a while ago and i was plastered but ew.

Well, here is the thing, your beer tastes will grow over time. This is dependent on the fact that you want them too, if all you want to drink is domestic stuff (bud light/etc) then this isn't going to happen. Delirium Trem, is a Belgian ale, on top of that it is pretty 'sweet' imo. I really don't care for what I would classify as sweet beers. Duvel is good, but not something I would drink often.

Lucky 13 from Lagunitas. It was a seasonal, but I'm not sure if it was Summer or Fall. Either way I couldn't get enough of it. So delicious.

Wookie Jack from Firestone is always a favorite on tap. And I don't typically care for dark beers.

I also love me some Pliny the Elder from Russian River. I always pick up a growler when I visit my family.

It's a Belgian beer. They always taste a little funky. It's fantastic stuff but a little too out there for someone that hasn't developed a pallet for beer.

Vitten

Hard to say, diferent beers for diferent circumstances.
But this is my favourite go-to beer on a hot summer day and when coming back home from work and sitting my ass down on our terrace:

leffe.jpg

Hard to say, diferent beers for diferent circumstances.
But this is my favourite go-to beer on a hot summer day and when coming back home from work and sitting my ass down on our terrace: [Leffe]

Have you tried Duvel? I can damn near promise that you will like it, addt'l, around the holidays the drop a gift package. Its a 4 pack of beer and a glass, w/o the glass is probably one of the best glasses out there for 'heavy' beers.

BPoole

Bud Light? Are you being serious?

I suppose if you like the taste of that you may as well dunk a cup in the toilet next time you take a piss and drink that instead since it essentially has the same taste.

Anyway, Guiness is the best tasting to me.

geeko

Hands down it's Pliney the Elder. That beer is godly. One of these days I would love to try Pliney the Younger.

you are insane

Piggus

At a new local pub I had a mix of a chocolate stout (I think) and a vanilla porter and it was the most delicious beer I've ever had by far. Fuck it was amazing and I don't even like beer that much.

The best standalone beer I've had is probably this.

lIwlVQe.jpg

We make some pretty fine beers here in Oregon.

sohois

St. Bernardus Abt 12

st-bernardus-12-v2.jpg

Basically considered the available alternative to Westvletern, which is often regarded as the best beer in the world but is not brewed commercially.

This was the very first trappist style beer I drank, imported from Belgium along with the glassware. Just incredible

Beer is very location dependant. the very best Beer in the world is Theakstons XB from very near the original Brewery. Everywhere else it's just sort of ok.

Same as Guiness, amazing in Dublin in a pub that knows it's trade, great around the rest of Ireland and the few Pubs in England or Scotland that know how to look after it, not great everywhere else. St Patrick's Day (call it Patty's day and I will hunt you down.) in Australia is hellish as I grew up on proper Guninness, and it's hard to keep it down over here. Not so bad after 5-6, you sort of get used to it, or it could be because I'm drunk and stop caring.

Over here in Aus I tend to drink 'James Squire - The Chancer, Golden Ale' very nice bottled Beer.

But I am looking forward to going back to the UK in July for some proper Bitter, then Ireland in August for a Guinness session. Two weddings in 2 weeks! It's gonna be messy!

WoodWERD

That OP troll

reverse-227839420.gif

Spaten Optimator is delicious, but choosing one is crazy.

/edit - Aventinus is the one I was thinking of, not Optimator.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Picture it. Last day of school my junior year. Hanging out with my buds who are all sophomores. We are listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble's "Texas Flood". It's a hot, hot Florida summer and we've had some Natural Ice's chilling in the freezer for a while now.

My body Ryan goes and gets them and we each crack one open and it's just the most beautiful thing, guys. Chunks of ice, but not frozen solid. Tastes like freedom, possibility, and being secure in the knowledge that you're staring down the barrel of enough time to waste as much freedom and possibility as you want.

As Bukowski said; "Miracles happen, even in hell.".

Nicktendo86

I need to try some more of the exoctic beers in here, for what I have had though there is nothing quite like a good pint of Guinness extra cold on a hot day for me. Pure refreshment.

Seen quite a few Sam smith recommendations in here, I must admit I've never really enjoyed anything I've had at a Sam smith pub. I don't really like their stout, tastes a bit gritty to me.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The Australian craft beer scene has exploded in popularity over the past decade so it's good to be able to walk in to a bar and not be faced with the same marketed giants on tap.

Granted I haven't even ventured out of my country to drink some of the lauded staples, and bottled beer can be a pain in the arse in order to get what the brewing company were trying to achieve.

My go to for the past few years has been Little Creatures Pale Ale. I'd kill to visit the brewery in Fremantle, followed by a lengthy trip to Tasmania for James Boags and Cascade tours.

I've also found that I have a strong affinity with beers that come out of Hokkaido in Japan.

But as usual with beer you will find new ones on a consistent basis and change always have a changed opinion on what you define as "the best"

eso76

in my mind this is the best beer i ever had

Of course it might be because it was a hot summer day and it tasted absolutely glorious when i first tried it

ten%20scotch-500x500.jpg

Also, i can't stand stout.

Oh, and this. how could i forget this.

expensive though. Like a decent wine bottle

Vitten

Have you tried Duvel? I can damn near promise that you will like it, addt'l, around the holidays the drop a gift package. Its a 4 pack of beer and a glass, w/o the glass is probably one of the best glasses out there for 'heavy' beers.

Yeah I like Duvel to, tastes great. But it's a little heavy for casual drinking, I'll usually only have a Duvel when I'm with friends and there's snacks and cheeze and stuff.

Lazyslob

Banned
Well, here is the thing, your beer tastes will grow over time. This is dependent on the fact that you want them too, if all you want to drink is domestic stuff (bud light/etc) then this isn't going to happen. Delirium Trem, is a Belgian ale, on top of that it is pretty 'sweet' imo. I really don't care for what I would classify as sweet beers. Duvel is good, but not something I would drink often.

yeah i definitely call it sweet. i just wasnt digging the taste. whatever im super picky with most things anyways. i dont like chocolate, i dont like dark colas, i dont like ketchup

warthog

Orval.

These monks sure do know how to brew a beer. If you're looking for a proof of God's existence, try this.

orval.jpg

At 6,2° alcohol, it's not even a strong beer. But it has an amazing taste. I can't compare it with any other beer.

Also high on my list are: Duvel, Westmalle tripel, Geuze Boon, ...
And my go to beer for a normal day: Palm.

Cheers.

cheezcake

The Australian craft beer scene has exploded in popularity over the past decade so it's good to be able to walk in to a bar and not be faced with the same marketed giants on tap.

Granted I haven't even ventured out of my country to drink some of the lauded staples, and bottled beer can be a pain in the arse in order to get what the brewing company were trying to achieve.

My go to for the past few years has been Little Creatures Pale Ale. I'd kill to visit the brewery in Fremantle, followed by a lengthy trip to Tasmania for James Boags and Cascade tours.

I've also found that I have a strong affinity with beers that come out of Hokkaido in Japan.

But as usual with beer you will find new ones on a consistent basis and change always have a changed opinion on what you define as "the best"

Aussie and I've never had a Little Creatures pale Ale, but all I hear are good things. I should go out and get some.

DeaviL

Banned
I wanted to post a nice picture of Leffe Brune, but you'll see one a few posts above mine.
I'm not all that knowledgeable when it comes to beers though,
i've got tons left to try and for that i live in a great place.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know about best ever but last night I had Hitachino Nest White Ale and it was pretty amazing.

R.I.P

Really hard to say what's the best beer I've had, but this is my current favourite:

Beer+Hunter's+Mufloni+CCCCC+IPA+(2).JPG

Made by a small Finnish brewery Beer Hunter's, the name delivers from the hops used in it (cascade, centennial, citra, chinook & columbus), and it's easily the best American style IPA I've had so far.

Also had my first bottle of Rochefort 10 a few weeks back, and it was as glorious as expected. Will have to try it a few more times before I can evaluate it properly though.

dsp

Biere_Duvel.jpg

That's my go to. I know shit about beer, but that's the one I like most. Only exception being some french winter ale I had, but I can't remember the name of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom