• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Waggle-Free Nintendo Wii Appreciation/Collectors Thread

Peagles

What is the benefit in using Wii2HDMI over playing Wii games on a Wii U? I'm playing through Metroid Prime Trilogy on a Wii U but it looks very fuzzy, do you know if it would be better looking with the Wii2HDMI?

AFAIK the only benefit is if you don't have a component input on your TV, it allows you to play your Wii using an HDMI input.

If you do have a component input, use that, as your TV's scaler is likely far superior to whatever the Wii2HDMI does.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
AFAIK the only benefit is if you don't have a component input on your TV, it allows you to play your Wii using an HDMI input.

If you do have a component input, use that, as your TV's scaler is likely far superior to whatever the Wii2HDMI does.

It makes sense for PC monitors, as those won't have component. I think most TVs still do have a component input.

It was more relevant in the earlier days of HD, when you could get a small HD PC monitor for a couple hundred bucks, rather than drop $1000+ on a big screen HDTV.

Nowadays I'd think Wii2HDMI as rather irrelevant unless you've got some setup where you're playing everything through a PC monitor instead of a TV.

Peagles

It makes sense for PC monitors, as those won't have component. I think most TVs still do have a component input.

It was more relevant in the earlier days of HD, when you could get a small HD PC monitor for a couple hundred bucks, rather than drop $1000+ on a big screen HDTV.

Nowadays I'd think Wii2HDMI as rather irrelevant unless you've got some setup where you're playing everything through a PC monitor instead of a TV.

Ah yeh, of course by TV I mean display, whatever that may be. There's no advantage except in being able to plug it in if you otherwise can't.

Celine

So I'm keeping expanding my Wii library (seriously how many good games are there!?).
What do you think about about Sonic Racing for Wii?
Is it worth a purchase?
Is it better than Mario Kart Wii?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I own it, but never really played it. I heard a lot of people prefer it to Transformed, and that game is my favorite kart-game ever, so its got to be pretty decent at least.

kunonabi

So I'm keeping expanding my Wii library (seriously how many good games are there!?).
What do you think about about Sonic Racing for Wii?
Is it worth a purchase?
Is it better than Mario Kart Wii?

I liked it better than Mario Kart Wii and in some ways I liked it better than the sequel.

Peagles

I played it once while babysitting. Mostly I was focused on beating the girl because she was being mean to her brother so I said I would play on his behalf and beat her, lol.

From what I remember as a first impression it wasn't quite as good as MK Wii but pretty close. I'd definitely pick it up if I saw it a decent price.

leroidys

Anyone touched that Gremlins game? Entertaining kusoge or just straight garbage?

LiS - Yes
SW - if you're in NA and care about this:
" The North American PS2 version is a two disc premium edition that includes the English and original Japanese voice tracks as well as a collector’s item art cover.[13] The Wii version is a single-disc release with English voices only"
HB - no clue
The Conduit - no. not at this point.

Thanks!

Celine

Thank you guys.
Your opinions are welcomed.

Which is the best of the Spiderman games ?
I've never played one since I'm not much interested in tie-in games with some exception.
However I've heard decent things about Spider-Man: Dimensions.
Try check it out.

Celine

So I'm replaying Metroid Other M on hard and it's quite fun because really see how Team Ninja knew and wanted the SenseMove to be abused.
Still it's not an easy walk cause you can be killed by 1 to 3 hits at most.

It's a very flawed game (click here to see a list of them although I don't agree 100% to every point) but I've found interesting how the developer tried to design a 3D game around a 2D structure.
It's surely not a crappy game as OP implied.
I'd hope for the next mainline Metroid game to be a third-person game again, just much much better.

24791031025_ffcf9546f8_o.gif

24162859924_4ec2e928b5_o.gif

I had a lot of fun with it.

People mostly hate on it because of the stoooorwyyyyy. If there had just been a way to skip cutscenes in the first playthrough I would have been happy.

Celine

People mostly hate on it because of the stoooorwyyyyy. If there had just been a way to skip cutscenes in the first playthrough I would have been happy.
Story was decent/good if a bit clichè.
Poor writing and how Samus was portrayed which conflicted with her past achievements (actions speak louder than words) are the biggest holes from a narrative point of view.

The gameplay though has many flaws like the idiotic inclusion of the pixel hunting or the linearity of the level design (very un-Metroid).

It has also a few good thing going for it, like the increased mobility, good character and monster design, well done shinespark and screw attack (but ruined as far exploration matter due to constrained level design) and flashy combat (especially notable against bosses).

Neither a masterpiece nor a piece of crap.

TheMoon

Always happy to see someone appreciate the game. And thus still annoyed by the unnecessary bashing in the OP.

Morfeo

I really appreciate Other M for what it tried to do, and also found it a pretty fun game to play through in its own right.

I was for the longest time a "hater" of 3D-gaming because I felt the precision that made games like Mario and Metroid so fun, was impossible to recreate in 3D. While I eventually grew into liking 3D-gaming well after everybody else, I still feel that this criticism holds true, especially concerning movement that are more tricky, like plattforming. I feel like Team Ninja/Sakamoto also recognized this problem, and with Other M tried to find a solution to it, by making a game in 3D that was as precise as a game in 2D. Sure, it was more linear than it should have been, the pixel hunt are unexcuseable and the story was crappy (although tense while still going on), but the plattforming and shooting itself was precise and just felt right in this game, thanks to the way they laid out all the rooms carefully, and I would just LOVE if they expanded on this for an improved sequel with less story and linearity, and more new weapons/powerups and environmental puzzles and such.

This is why I always hope for Metroid Another M to show up, a sequel to the most hated game in the franchise that builds on what it actually did right. Other M was a special game and well worth playing in its own right, but an improved sequel really could have been a masterpiece imo.

I was for the longest time a "hater" of 3D-gaming because I felt the precision that made games like Mario and Metroid so fun, was impossible to recreate in 3D. While I eventually grew into liking 3D-gaming well after everybody else, I still feel that this criticism holds true, especially concerning movement that are more tricky, like plattforming. I feel like Team Ninja/Sakamoto also recognized this problem, and with Other M tried to find a solution to it, by making a game in 3D that was as precise as a game in 2D.

You can also see Nintendo taking the same approach with games like Mario 3D Land/World. I remember bouncing between Mario Galaxy 2 and New Super Mario Bros Wii and being like "the jumping in 2D just feels way, way better" -- I was so impressed that they managed to improve the mechanics of 3D Mario with clever camera control, more straightforward stages, and reference size blocks all over the place, which really mimics what 2D does so well.

Another big problem with some 3D games is that a beginners and non-frequent players just can't wrap their head around moving in 3D space especially with manual camera control. Like I watch my wife try to do camera with a right analog stick and she just can't, and she plays a lot more than most. Games like Other M and Mario 3D * do a great job of allowing traversal of 3D movement with a d-pad and avoiding the need for camera control.

This is why I always hope for Metroid Another M to show up, a sequel to the most hated game in the franchise that builds on what it actually did right.

Good god the toxic Metroid fanbase would just explode.

Turrican3

Neither a masterpiece nor a piece of crap.
This, basically.
As with so many other first/second party efforts of the Wii era, back then I appreciated they tried to do something different instead of a reiteration of the Metroid Prime formula.

Strictly gameplay-wise, the only thing I *really* disliked was the clumsy switch between first and third person, I think they really should have added nunchuck to the default control scheme.

By the way, dear Kimi I'm ready for a new Prime now. ^__^

TheMoon

Strictly gameplay-wise, the only thing I *really* disliked was the clumsy switch between first and third person,

One of the things I loved most, ironically. Just so cool to just point at the screen and boom you're aiming in first person.

Turrican3

Just so cool to just point at the screen and boom you're aiming in first person.
(clarifying just to avoid any possible misunderstandings)

I *did* appreciate the fact you could aim in first person... IR pointing is a God-tier control scheme for me after all. ^__^

What I found clumsy was the actual switching movement, requiring you to turn the wiimote by 90 degrees and going from a two handed grip to one handed: had they included nunchuck control, the very same thing would have been instantaneous.

Celine

One of the things I loved most, ironically. Just so cool to just point at the screen and boom you're aiming in first person.
What many don't know is that you can use SenseMove while in first person view.
Which coupled with the slow down just when you enter first person view allow a smooth transition.

Other M control scheme may seem awkward at first but it's really though off if a bit strange due to pulling off a 3D to 2D design and designing the whole game around that concept.

What I found clumsy was the actual switching movement, requiring you to turn the wiimote by 90 degrees and going from a two handed grip to one handed: had they included nunchuck control, the very same thing would have been instantaneous.
Eh eh if you want to pull off the instant super missile trick you need two hands even in first person view.

Turrican3

To be honest I don't actually remember that peculiar trick... now that I have a decent PC maybe I can give it a try again.

NOn a somehow unrelated note, now that I think about it, I really really really wish Nintendo someday goes back to the wiimote concept.

TheMoon

(clarifying just to avoid any possible misunderstandings)

I *did* appreciate the fact you could aim in first person... IR pointing is a God-tier control scheme for me after all. ^__^

Also clarifying: the exact part you find clumsy is what I love so much. :D

No problems with Other M, I thought it was a fun game. I never considered it a Metroid, I'm sure the developers didn't either hence calling it "Other" M. The 3D/2D hybrid type gameplay isn't really new though, It reminded me a lot of Viewtiful Joe (a bit more advanced).

Timu

No problems with Other M, I thought it was a fun game. I never considered it a Metroid, I'm sure the developers didn't either hence calling it "Other" M. The 3D/2D hybrid type gameplay isn't really new though, It reminded me a lot of Viewtiful Joe (a bit more advanced).
It did have Metroid in the title so that contributes it to being part of the Metroid series, not to mention it taking place between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion.

meppi

Speaking of Hudson Wii titles, I absolutely adored the DS version of this game, so when I found out way too late that they also made a Wii game, I had to have it.
It's Illust Logic + Colourful Logic, which is basically an evolution of Picross.

Also picked up Spyborgs as it looked like a fun beat-em-up and was dirt cheap.
Haven't played that one yet though.

-shadow-

An update since my post from nearly a year ago. These are the games I've purchased in the last year (minus Kirby, that was just missing on the photo). I can say I'm rather happy that I've managed to buy these. Still a lot left though, but for now I'm happy with these. Only game missing from my post from a year ago is Silent Hill Shattered Memories. That'll be the first one I'll be buying once I have an income again!

I think the game is fun as hell to play. I genuinely enjoyed it. Fast paced action which made Samus even more awesome. (And that with new Zero Suit redesign Holy Kreygasm). The best worst thing to happen to Samus

Morfeo

I think the game is fun as hell to play. I genuinely enjoyed it. Fast paced action which made Samus even more awesome. (And that with new Zero Suit redesign Holy Kreygasm). The best worst thing to happen to Samus

Yep awesome game.

An update since my post from nearly a year ago. These are the games I've purchased in the last year (minus Kirby, that was just missing on the photo). I can say I'm rather happy that I've managed to buy these. Still a lot left though, but for now I'm happy with these. Only game missing from my post from a year ago is Silent Hill Shattered Memories. That'll be the first one I'll be buying once I have an income again!

What is that Obscure game on the right? Never heard of it.

-shadow-

What is that Obscure game on the right? Never heard of it.

It's a horror game, I haven't played it yet due to the disc drive being dead. But from what I've played from the first game it's kind of fun. Not amazing, but it's fun.

French horror game.

LeeLa is far more obscure to me :)

It's not so much of a game, it's more of an experimental title for relaxation. It was only €4, so I thought why not?

-shadow-

There's some really good games on the Wii that many ignore because Wii. Bit of a shame really. Some really great hidden gems.

-shadow-

Not if you buy a German version. They're cheap.

I'm still looking into a bunch of more, but I'll keep this in mind. I prefer to get the UK release, but if I can't manage a good price I'll do this!

The US version of Calling is really cheap as well and can be played on a PAL console via homebrew in a snap

It's really for the collection at the moment considering I can't play from a disc at the moment considering my disc drive is dead. And considering I have only PAL games I'm trying to keep it that way :p

Are they dubbed in German though? ;-)

You have no idea how happy I am these days are long past us!

alf717

Grabbed Rhythm Heaven today from the bargain bin from wally world. Pretty fun little game. Haven't gotten far but for $15 I was happy with the pickup.

Top Bottom