• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Waggle-Free Nintendo Wii Appreciation/Collectors Thread

TheMoon

All this talk about shovelware , remainded me that no all shovelware is bad , i mean most is but , is there any that could be recomended?

If it's good then it's not shovelware. These two are mutually exclusive.

After years of not buying any new Wii games, today I added these three to my 50+ collection:
Batallion Wars 2, Lost in shadows, The Sky Crawlers.

Good choices?

Yes.

Lost in Shadow has no Konami branding on it whatsover, which surprised me. LiS has got to be one of the last Hudson releases before the Konami takeover.

TheMoon

Lost in Shadow has no Konami branding on it whatsover, which surprised me. LiS has got to be one of the last Hudson releases before the Konami takeover.

Konami was already distributing it in Europe.

125336_back.jpg

Zalman

I feel like I appreciate the Wii's library more than ever. I love all the weird and quirky games on the system. You just don't see these types of games anymore, at least not in the retail space.

TheMoon

I feel like I appreciate the Wii's library more than ever. I love all the weird and quirky games on the system. You just don't see these types of games anymore, at least not in the retail space.

Wii was the last bastion of the mid-tier/B-tier game. The indie scene still can't quite fill that void even though they often can make their games look like the big guys' stuff.

Brenal

When i think of shovelware i refeer to movie and tv shows tie ins that only exist to sell by being associated with the brand , those game can sometimes be good , for example the Star Wars episode III GBA tie in was an very fun beat em up, those are kind of games was looking recomendation for mostly because i have been hunting for hidden gems and most enthusiast gamers never try these kind of games by considering them shovelware.

TI82

Banned
While there were a handful of fun games on the Wii the amount of good to crap ratio was very heavily weighted towards crap for me. Whereas the PS2 similarly had a ton of shovelware but it's good to crap ratio was more balanced.

Just my tastes though, I'm sure there's someone out there who loves the Wii more.

TheMoon

When i think of shovelware i refeer to movie and tv shows tie ins that only exist to sell by being associated with the brand , those game can sometimes be good , for example the Star Wars episode III GBA tie in was an very fun beat em up, those are kind of games was looking recomendation for mostly because i have been hunting for hidden gems and most enthusiast gamers never try these kind of games by considering them shovelware.

Just call them licensed games and everyone will know what you're talking about :)

Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Ghostbusters: The Game

Are two examples of what you're asking for.

The wait will soon be over, PS4 in particular is about to pick up where Wii left off after the wave of Japanese (and even some Western) announcements in the second half of last year.

I'd also argue that Wii U has some solid mid tier/B games on it. And handhelds like Vita/3DS too, of course.

The wait will soon be over, PS4 in particular is about to pick up where Wii left off after the wave of Japanese (and even some Western) announcements in the second half of last year.

Eh, I think they tend to mean the more "weird" and fresh game experiences (weird games that are new IP) that Wii got loads of. No doubt PS4 is picking up steam now, but a lot of those games have big budgets and are sequels or remakes.

About to complete my playthrough of Fatal Frame IV (fan translation) and it's been fantastic. Such a shame it was never released in the West since it probably would have been a favourite game for many on the Wii, otherwise.

TheMoon

interesting. must've been a later release.

EU version came out 3 months earlier than NA version.

Konami always distributed Hudson stuff in EU by the end

106299_back.jpg
106298_back.jpg

Job Island: Hard Working People / Help Wanted: 50 Wacky Jobs (a 2009 game)

114926_back.jpg
114924_back.jpg

Calling, a 2010 game

76138_back.jpg
76136_back.jpg

Bomberman Land, a 2008 game co-published between Rising Star and Hudson

90040_back.jpg

also 2008, also Rising Star published

but curiously:

79957_back.jpg
79959_back.jpg

Kororinpa, a 2007 game ...roles reversed!

I'd also argue that Wii U has some solid mid tier/B games on it.

ZombiU and Platinum's games were the standout titles. Other than that, Wii U really is a synonym for creative bankruptcy.

Eh, I think they tend to mean the more "weird" and fresh game experiences (weird games that are new IP) that Wii got loads of. No doubt PS4 is picking up steam now, but a lot of those games have big budgets and are sequels or remakes.

13 Sentinels (Vanillaware, new IP), For Honor (Red Steel 2 director, new IP), Ni-Oh (new IP), Gravity Rush 2 (console debut), Danganronpa 3 (console debut), Valkyria Azure Revolution, WiLD (new IP by Ancel), Nier Automata, Platinum Turtles, Yakuza 0, Persona 5, Last Guardian, Trackmania Turbo, Disaster Report, etc.

Fresh non-indie experiences and ,,outlier" games are coming back including some direct correlations with the Wii library. Some titles might have bigger budgets, but that's even better. Especially since Japan has finally reached the HD era. During PS360 days they didn't, so their devs and smaller scale projects were on Wii and handhelds. And now the true successor to the Wii library (or pre-HD libraries in general) is finally arriving.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
ZombiU and Platinum's games were the standout titles. Other than that, Wii U really is a synonym for creative bankruptcy.

Nintendo Land? Pikmin 3? Mario Maker? Splatoon? Affordable Space Adventure? Runbow?

I know the Wii U isn't the Wii when it comes to quirky games, but come on now.

TheMoon

Nintendo Land? Pikmin 3? Mario Maker? Splatoon? Affordable Space Adventure? Runbow?

Don't engage with his nonsense. You're talking to a wall. It's a waste of time. Might as well discuss Wii U graphics with ninjablade.

2 games being downloadabe/indie, which I wasn't counting explicitely, because no indie can replace even a proper mid-budget production. Minigame collections aren't worth mentioning unless maybe you're the first Warioware. Mario Maker, Splatton, sure. But then again, they are also a showcase for the measly state of the WiiU. Because that's barely 2 notable games not feeling like cheap retreads over the span of a whole year or longer. The Wii or most decent consoles outdo the entire Wii U library when it comes to fresh experiences in their first year effortlessly.

Which is only natural, considering that, despite false narratives, many of the great Wii games were from 3rd parties, of which Wii U had literally none outside launch window. But 1st party variety/briskness also died down big time in comparison with Wii (and almost every other Nintendo platform objectively).

All this talk about shovelware , remainded me that no all shovelware is bad , i mean most is but , is there any that could be recomended?

Yes.

Surely this one counts. I hesitate to even mention it online because I want to buy it before the retrospective irony secondary market drives up the prices (looking at Amazon, we might already be there), but I've heard that this is actually a pretty fun game, even though it's a third-tier licensed game and the kusoge tendencies are through the roof:

BigDogFootball.jpg

Is that Harvey Birdman game any good

I used to watch the show all the time, and I played the PSP demo. It was okay, it was clearly Capcom making a licensed, more casual version of the Ace Attorney series. I couldn't ultimately get myself into it that much, as much as I wanted to. Seems like it's got some good Capcom character jokes in it, though.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I found Samba de Amigo in a pawn shop and... yikes, the reports that the controls are bad weren't overblown. I can't believe Sega was okay shipping a rhythm game were controls don't respond half the time... Couldn't they at least let us play with the classic controller if they couldn't figure out motion controls?!

Saoshyant

This is probably the right thread to ask. I was checking the Wikipedia page for Neverland (the guys mostly known for the Rune Factory series) and going through their project list there was an entry for a Wii game called Shining Force Gear. I had never heard of it, but I liked the PS2 ones enough and they were by Neverland as well so I tried to find any information about it... only to hit a wall.

There seems to be absolutely no information about this game at all. I do not know if it was canceled, if it came out under a different name, or what. There's a post from GAF's duckroll in 2008, a trademark registration, some speculation that it would come out in 2010, and then silence.

Anyone knows anything?

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

I've been playing the game all afternoon/evening and I freaking love it! Holy shit this game is good. I'm also using component cables with and D5 adapter to connect it to my XRGB mini and Jesus does it look good.

I've been playing the game all afternoon/evening and I freaking love it! Holy shit this game is good. I'm also using component cables with and D5 adapter to connect it to my XRGB mini and Jesus does it look good.

Thats a great game. Crazy how it's been around the $10 mark for years.

Man, I just picked this game up the other week, too, and I'm having a blast with it! I'd played S&P1 all those years ago, but never really sat down with the sequel until recently. It's basically the best Disney ride ever. The music is fantastic, and it's frantic pace is just so exhilarating. I feel ashamed for not playing it sooner.

I also haven't really played many Wii games on the Wii U before, and while it's no Dolphin, I'm surprised with how well the game cleans up via HDMI.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Been playing some Kirbys Adventure Wii recently, and this game is just great. Feels very much like an updated version of the Nes-game (which imo, was the best classic one). Great graphics, nice music, cool level design, and such amazing variety in all the abilities. It is even possible to die (!). Definitely the superior Kirby-game on the Wii, and a pretty underrated game all things considered.

leroidys

Been playing some Kirbys Adventure Wii recently, and this game is just great. Feels very much like an updated version of the Nes-game (which imo, was the best classic one). Great graphics, nice music, cool level design, and such amazing variety in all the abilities. It is even possible to die (!). Definitely the superior Kirby-game on the Wii, and a pretty underrated game all things considered.

That's good to hear, the NES game definitely stands up as the best classic game IMO. I still need to pick RTD up. Looks like the prices have fallen since it was released on Wii U, so that's nice.

Teknoman

Thank you for realizing this. Return to Dreamland is amazing.

On that note, is Vahalla Knights that bad? I read its got a soundtrack by Motoi Sakuraba...so I mean its gotta be kinda ok right?

Morfeo

Thank you for realizing this. Return to Dreamland is amazing.

On that note, is Vahalla Knights that bad? I read its got a soundtrack by Motoi Sakuraba...so I mean its gotta be kinda ok right?

Haha, glad we are a few in this camp now. Had the game came out earlier, or maybe have a more unique art style, the game would probably have been much more played and talked about. I mean, Epic Yarn was decent, but nowhere near the praise it got imo, and certainly no Return to Dreamland.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, glad we are a few in this camp now. Had the game came out earlier, or maybe have a more unique art style, the game would probably have been much more played and talked about. I mean, Epic Yarn was decent, but nowhere near the praise it got imo, and certainly no Return to Dreamland.

Return to Dreamland is an incredible game. Triple Deluxe takes the same basic gameplay and improve on it. I can't wait for Planet Robobot, I can already predict it's gonna be among my favorite 3DS games.

Morfeo

I don't think cables are region locked (pretty sure), so you should be fine.

Thanks! You never know though, the reason why i asked was because the Snes rgb-cables are actually "region-locked". Also, Pal Wii supports rgb, while ntsc Wii does not, so sometimes there are strange differences. But yeah, I just bought them, 99% sure it will work fine.

Mega

Banned
I wasn't aware of this thread and was directed here from the GC thread.

I always felt terrible about my sad, little collection of like 8 Wii games compared to my Gamecube collection that was several times bigger. After stumbling into a couple of threads like Overlooked Wii Gems, I was very surprised at how much I missed out on and feel bad for thinking it only shovelware + the usual Nintendo stuff. I'm glad to have shaken off my negative bias and discovered so many cool games. I had a fun time with Ghost Squad and Rhythm Heaven Fever this weekend: the former I thought was a shitty game that I once read was "too short", the latter I had no idea even existed.

I'm looking forward to trying more and have snatched up dozens of recommended games, which surprisingly has not bankrupted me due to the fact that practically everything is really cheap now. It came up in the Retro thread when someone made a good point that now is the time to collect Wii games because nearly all the good stuff is still ridiculously low-priced. It's downright perplexing how many high quality titles sell for $10-$15, sometimes even less. There's no way that will last if you look at what's now happening to the Gamecube library.

Celine

I'm looking forward to trying more and have snatched up dozens of recommended games, which surprisingly has not bankrupted me due to the fact that practically everything is really cheap now. It came up in the Retro thread made a good point that now is the time to collect Wii games because nearly all the good stuff is still ridiculously low-priced. It's downright perplexing how many high quality titles sell for $10-$15, sometimes even less. There's no way that will last if you look at what's now happening to the Gamecube library.
Yes, this is the right time to build your Wii collection.
Wii library is especially fun to delve into because aside from Nintendo big guns and a few third-party standouts, it's strong appeal comes from the smaller overlooked games (many of them from third-parties).
Think of Wii games which has a Metacritic score between 65-79:
Metroid: Other M, Mario Strikers Charged, NBA Jam, Mini Ninja, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Rune Factory Frontier, Rabbids Go Home, Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip, Sonic Colors, The House of the Dead: Overkill, Grand Slam Tennis, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Warioland Shake it, The Godfather: Blackhand Edition, Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Project Zero 2: Wii Edition, Klonoa, Trauma Center: New Blood, Ghostbusters, Endless Ocean, Order Up!, Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon, Elebits, Sakura Wars So long my love, The Sky Crawler, Kororinpa, Pandora's Tower, Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars, Disney Epic Mickey, Mushroom Men: The Spore Wars, Deadly Creatures, Excite Truck, Let's tap, NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, Ghost Squad, Dragon Quest Swords, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers and last but not least Opoona (what I consider the Earthbound for Wii that is a modest game with big heart and charm and a wonderful OST).

Of course they might have a few flaws or not so great production value or a "story mode" with scarce longevity (yet highly replayable like in Ghost Squad) but if you like the niche experiences they offer then you have lots to enjoy.

I got a copy of Super Mario Galaxy 2 at toys r us for $10... Nintendo selects version, but I don't care. Never played either of the Galaxy games before since I'm one of 2 people who never had a Wii. My wife's parents gave us theirs since they never used it anymore so I'm going to dig into the library a bit.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, my mom got me Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn for Christmas back in 2007. I'm finally playing through the GameCube game, absolutely love it, and am happy to know that once I finish it, I've got this game waiting for me.

I really need to finish off my Wii collection while it's cheap. I've been on a GC kick, and while my Wii collection is already pretty big, I don't particularly want to pay GC prices to finish that off, too.

Mega

Banned
I'm generally disliking how flimsy some Wii cases feel and I particularly loathe the cases with the cutouts. It's total crap how they push the eco-friendly angle when it's all about the manufacturers shaving millions in costs by forcing these vastly inferior cases to consumers. A sealed Rhythm Heaven came with a small hole punctured through the plastic and artwork because of the cutouts. A few others are cracked, chipped or look ready to buckle just from being stared at. And I can't forget my first exposure to these shit cases when a few years back I got a Wii U and it came bundled with a few games. One was Ninja Gaiden and the disc was broken clean in half. No big loss but it shows how awful these dumb cases are at doing their job.

Anyway, do any of you have a recommend case for replacing the crappy ones? I saw a couple on ebay but not sure how they are. I'll probably check home which Wii games feel the sturdiest and find cases that match those.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Ni...hash=item33b488cf6a:m:mVMj4hAHe_ZtnosWEzn4Sbw

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wii-Replace...318899?hash=item58cd4a45f3:g:5iwAAOSwuTxV9mDX

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wii-Replace...388617?hash=item58cdb62609:g:V9kAAOSwVL1V~KGU

alf717

I'm generally disliking how flimsy some Wii cases feel and I particularly loathe the cases with the cutouts. It's total crap how they push the eco-friendly angle when it's all about the manufacturers shaving millions in costs by forcing these vastly inferior cases to consumers. A sealed Rhythm Heaven came with a small hole punctured through the plastic and artwork because of the cutouts. A few others are cracked, chipped or look ready to buckle just from being stared at. And I can't forget my first exposure to these shit cases when a few years back I got a Wii U and it came bundled with a few games. One was Ninja Gaiden and the disc was broken clean in half. No big loss but it shows how awful these dumb cases are at doing their job.

Anyway, do any of you have a recommend case for replacing the crappy ones? I saw a couple on ebay but not sure how they are. I'll probably check home which Wii games feel the sturdiest and find cases that match those.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Ni...hash=item33b488cf6a:m:mVMj4hAHe_ZtnosWEzn4Sbw

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wii-Replace...318899?hash=item58cd4a45f3:g:5iwAAOSwuTxV9mDX

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wii-Replace...388617?hash=item58cdb62609:g:V9kAAOSwVL1V~KGU

I use to get my replacement cases directly from Nintendo's online store but it looks like they only have those eco cases. I feel your pain. I can't stand any game sent to me in a manila envelope that uses those eco cases. Guaranteed to get a damaged label. The first link looks like legit cases. They have the name Wii inside the cases. Walmart is clearing out Rhythm Heaven for $15 and the cases didn't feel like eco cases to me maybe a reprint was made?

Mega

Banned
Had a look and Rhythm Heaven has the crappy eco case. The puncture through the plastic and art goes through one of the cutouts. These things are trash confirmed.

I had a blast playing Gunblade NY and LA Machineguns last night. Finished the night with Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection. The input lag on the flippers and motion blur of the ball from my plasma TV actually makes this a little harder than it should be. I think this is one of the games I should play on the Wii + CRT instead of Wii U + HDTV.

leroidys

Looking to complete my Wii collection, could use some advice on these titles:

Lost in Shadow - Worthwhile playing beyond it being hudsons swan song?
Sakura Wars - PS2 or Wii?
Harvey Birdman - PS2 or Wii?
The Conduit - Is this game actually worth playing? The reception was so polarized it's hard to tell.

TheMoon

Looking to complete my Wii collection, could use some advice on these titles:

Lost in Shadow - Worthwhile playing beyond it being hudsons swan song?
Sakura Wars - PS2 or Wii?
Harvey Birdman - PS2 or Wii?
The Conduit - Is this game actually worth playing? The reception was so polarized it's hard to tell.

LiS - Yes
SW - if you're in NA and care about this:
" The North American PS2 version is a two disc premium edition that includes the English and original Japanese voice tracks as well as a collector’s item art cover.[13] The Wii version is a single-disc release with English voices only"
HB - no clue
The Conduit - no. not at this point.

I ordered Wii2HDMI about a week ago for $6 on Amazon.

It got good reviews and Youtube impressions seemed very positive. I'm excited to finally play some Wii games in HD.

Anyone here have any experience with it?

Timu

It got good reviews and Youtube impressions seemed very positive. I'm excited to finally play some Wii games in HD.

Nope, though I wanted to try it.

What is the benefit in using Wii2HDMI over playing Wii games on a Wii U? I'm playing through Metroid Prime Trilogy on a Wii U but it looks very fuzzy, do you know if it would be better looking with the Wii2HDMI?

Top Bottom