• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wait is over - First PS3 Ad

youta

I've seen the ad a couple of times at the movie theatre. I actually
like it, especially on the big screen, but I'm not so sure about its
effectiveness. The audience was rather "meh". It should be interesting
to see what Nintendo does (something very straightforward would
be my guess, but I'd be happy to be surprised).

FightyF

Banned
I think the kid's backpack is full of weapons and ammunition. He and his friend are going to rob a bank, as it's the only way they'll be able to buy the thing.

If you look at this ad with this mindset, it makes perfect sense.

:p

Fight for Freeform said:
I think the kid's backpack is full of weapons and ammunition. He and his friend are going to rob a bank, as it's the only way they'll be able to buy the thing.

If you look at this ad with this mindset, it makes perfect sense.

:p

:lol

They are all about to storm the banks of New York.

StRaNgE

Banned
it's a nice short movie but as far as an ad goes it fails.

anyone who does not own a ps2 or know aboutthe ps3 is gunna watch it and be like "what the **** was that for ? a new movie or something?"

Vyer

Dante said:
Holy Shit! That's the song from Traffic :)

Oh hell... really? I thought it sounded familiar but I couldn't place it. Nice.

mckmas8808 said:
Because I think it's a good ad like many people here?

Ok, so..seriously. You have no idea what I'm talking about?

You're arguing with people who don't like the ad. Repeatedly. Do you think you are going to change their minds? Do you think that if they were NOT genuine in their reasons you are going to get them to own up to it? You know how these things work. It is console war time, after all. :D

Guys like to give you a hard time and call you a cheerleader. As your tag implies, you try to counter saying that isn't true. I don't think I'm going out on a limb saying this thread might back up one statement over the other.

Wow this thread is a really great way for a new guy like me to figure out who's who around here.

Sad to see that some people around here can't "get" this ad's concept. I guess the schools are really failing people in terms of liberal arts education, and even reading, since so many of you couldn't read "Playstation 3" at the end of the ad.

What did your artless minds do with the "Jump In" ad? Did you have to have your mommies explain it to you? I can hear it now:

"No, junior...you can't actually 'jump in' the 360, it's too small for that and you'll just break it. It's called a metaphor. And no, water balloons and jump rope aren't the new controllers, either."

At this point, "wait" and PS3 shouldnt be associated:

1)MANY people are going to be waiting on the system since 99.9% of America isnt going to be able to buy it, even if they could

2)The commercial signifies the "Third Playstation Coming", or such. What they arent going to expect to be coming is the price ticket when they go check it out. Waiting might not be considered an option for some.

Sony should try a different slogan. Something that doesnt remind me of the worst 2 parts of PS3 "coming".

SuperPac

Pretty good ad. It does what a teaser should... confuse you and make you want to know more. :p

I'm excited to see what kind of ads we see for Wii and how the approaches of the two companies will vary...

i agree...its a nice teaser ad that lets the audience know that something big is about to come, and then at the end, they immediately recognize that its the PS3

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Vyer said:
You're arguing with people who don't like the ad. Repeatedly. Do you think you are going to change their minds? Do you think that if they were NOT genuine in their reasons you are going to get them to own up to it? You know how these things work. It is console war time, after all. :D

Guys like to give you a hard time and call you a cheerleader. As your tag implies, you try to counter saying that isn't true. I don't think I'm going out on a limb saying this thread might back up one statement over the other.

See that's your problem Vyer. I'm not arguing. It's called a DISCUSSION FORUM!!

That's what you do on a forum. Read how many times I stated in my posts that it's okay for people to disagree because it's their opioion. I respect everybody opinion except gantz.

I'm discussing the ad, just like people do about games, movies, and music in other forums.

Kangu

Banned
I like the concept, but the execution is just dull. They should have given it an atmosphere more similar to that of the Zelda MM commercial from way back when.

AniHawk

Kangu said:
I like the concept, but the execution is just dull. They should have given it an atmosphere more similar to that of the Zelda MM commercial from way back when.

A sense of impending doom?

Diesel

It should be noted that this is a Canada only commercial and only airs in movie theatres.

It adds to the message if you see both the cinema and the outdoor campaign which was previously posted in this forum.

D.

So why are they gearing it towards emo kids that probably can't even afford the console in that clip? Where are all the cool and hip looking adults?

AniHawk

ForzaItalia said:
So why are they gearing it towards emo kids that probably can't even afford the console in that clip? Where are all the cool and hip looking adults?

Playing Gears of War.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Karma Kramer said:
Could you list them, cause I count zero.

You and Hilter Stole my Potato are a joke. Again this is a discussion forum where we discuss topics on videogame related things.

Me and ferrarimanf355 were not trying to convice the other to change their minds. You guys don't know how to have meaningful discussions without resulting to stupid talk. Have you guys never seen a debate before?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
thumbdown.gif

thAT sucked!

Amir0x

Banned
If you guys (mckmas, Hitler, etc) don't stop this Advent Children-esque bean hopping battling from thread to thread, you're both gonna get banned.

ForzaItalia said:

Outside of the whole "slogan" thing, the ad reminded me of Independence Day for some reason. I started thinking about Will Smith and less about PS3.

ForzaItalia said:

You mean like the guy on the other rooftop? You know, the twenty-something guy in the hip clothes with the beard?

Did people here actually watch the ad?

xaosslug

there's a startling lack of "Sony am arrogance total!" sentiment in the thread, which gives me hope! ;)

i liked the ad, personally. It's fitting, and very Sony, whatever that means.

also, when did MS' "Jump In' ads become an example of "good" marketing/commercials? :lol Seriouasly, wutafux?

DMczaf said:
Which is also the theme color of Spider-Man 3!

blue and red, iirc.

Kangu said:

"Blu-Ray's will Bleed! Cell's will Shatter!"

Kangu

Banned
sugarhigh4242 said:
"Blu-Ray's will Bleed! Cell's will Shatter!"

It's becoming increasingly apparent I don't even remember the commercial I'm talking about. I must have just made some kind of placeholder memory and inserted into my brain. So...nevermind.

Personally, I thought the ad was boring and weak. But it really doesn't matter considering that 1min+ ad is not going to be aired on tv anyway; it'll be something different, or cut down to 30sec.

I thought Microsoft's first few 360 ads were weak too, and Nintendo's Japanese ad for the Wii was poor in my opinion as well.

Dante

Karma Kramer said:
once everyone saw this commercial.

:lol Yeah this ad needs more double dutch and water baloon fights!

Seriously could care less what they showed the fact that they used "Ascent" by Brian Eno makes this ad highly enjoyable for me :)

Top Bottom