• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wait is over - First PS3 Ad

I understand the concept of the advert, but it didn't move me one way or another with excitement for the system. I think it seems too vague for non-gamers, and too obvious for regular gamers. Kinda flat, overall. Let's see what's next.

xaosslug

PhoenixDark said:
Personally, I thought the ad was boring and weak. But it really doesn't matter considering that 1min+ ad is not going to be aired on tv anyway; it'll be something different, or cut down to 30sec.

I thought Microsoft's first few 360 ads were weak too, and Nintendo's Japanese ad for the Wii was poor in my opinion as well.

I think someone in the thread said they already saw the commercial on G4, or something.

Peru

Eeeh, it's your typical "the biggest thing to hit videogames is coming just 'round the corner" ad, not especially great but it does its job. Also, a catchy Eno tune to boot and I won't complain when it's running at the theatres.

Udde

Nice ad, the message is simple but fits perfectly too.

Rody said:
Awesome. The "3" formed by the shadows of the clouds... Brilliant.

Yeah, it was nice, but those were not clouds... :D

2592287825af45c0edfqe9.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
I usually dont like arty-farty video-game ads without game footage or at least pics of the hardware but there was something about that one, I really like it.

Mind you, if I didnt know it was a PS3 ad before I opened it I dont think I would have been able to figure out what they were trying to sell.

That kid is gonna start crying when he gets to Best Buy and finds a line of twenty-something slackers forming a line that goes around the block.

He'll go home and jump off that rooftop. :D

God, this is so stupid. All the known PS3-fans and people with "Sony Defence Force" as avatar think it is "brilliant" and "awsome", while some of the nintendo and MS fans really hate it. But especially the amount of "wonderfuls" and "brilliants" coming from Sony-fans is laughable. It's a friggin' tv ad. Put away the goggles and just look at it like any other ad. :?

I think the intention to create some "that's a strange ad" hype doesn't really work that well in this one. It's not special enough. Nowadays there are tons of commercials like that. The PS9 ad was a lot better because that really gave you a WTF o_0 feeling, which is something these ads mostly try to create. But other then that, it's a "nice" commercial, nothing more nothing less. Good music though.

And contrary to popular opinion, I really like the Jump In commercial for x360.

btw: mckmas8808, you're trying way too hard.

Aisenherz

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
Wow this thread is a really great way for a new guy like me to figure out who's who around here.

Sad to see that some people around here can't "get" this ad's concept. I guess the schools are really failing people in terms of liberal arts education, and even reading, since so many of you couldn't read "Playstation 3" at the end of the ad.

What did your artless minds do with the "Jump In" ad? Did you have to have your mommies explain it to you? I can hear it now:

"No, junior...you can't actually 'jump in' the 360, it's too small for that and you'll just break it. It's called a metaphor. And no, water balloons and jump rope aren't the new controllers, either."
So true

Karma Kramer said:
once everyone saw this commercial.
Still not banned for talking shi* like that?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Between this and the "White Is Coming" thing, Sony needs to seriously re-evaluate their marketing teams. That was even worse than the PS9 thing. The Dreamcast launch ads were better than this.

Sony's got their fans well-trained, though. Wow @ this thread.

Insertia

Anyone that says they didn't know the ad was for PS3 is clearly BSing.

This ad was targeted at gamers, if you know anything about videogames, you know this ad is for PS3.

The ad is fantastic, PS3 is coming in several weeks, no matter what ad Sony put out the same comments would be made.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Liquid said:
you guys did notice the 3 in the kids eye in the beginning right? that was cool.

Ok I just watched it and that went be real fast I was wondering if that's what it was... I like it.. not busy.. maybe an ad that some will scream it tries to hard to be artsy.. but I liked it.

Scotch

For a moment there I thought it was a giant crab flying in the sky :lol

Really cool ad though, but targeting a 499 dollar machine to 10 year old kids seems kinda dumb.

xaosslug

MattKeil said:
Between this and the "White Is Coming" thing, Sony needs to seriously re-evaluate their marketing teams. That was even worse than the PS9 thing. The Dreamcast launch ads were better than this.

Sony's got their fans well-trained, though. Wow @ this thread.

now the PS9 ad was bad...? OK. Wow. I can't keep up.

Flo_Evans

Scotch said:
For a moment there I thought it was a giant crab flying in the sky :lol

Really cool ad though, but targeting a 499 dollar machine to 10 year old kids seems kinda dumb.

its targeting the 10 year old in you. Not literaly a 10 year old kid.

jakster4u

*the ad ends*.... where is the money falling from the sky that is gonna help me pay for this behemoth?:lol

They need to continue this with a PS3 abducting all of them and taking them to Sony HQ.:lol

bud

The ad got the job done and pulled of the whole excitement thing.

However, SCEE>>>>SCEA in the marketing department.

FnordChan

Boy howdy do I ever love Brian Eno, especially "An Ending (Ascent)". The ad was nice, too.

Meanwhile, courtesy of the YouTube comments:

"BOYCOTT THE JAPANESE IMPORTS (Buy Xbox360 instead)
*The Japanese say that some of their favorite foods are raw WHALE meat, raw DOLPHIN meat, & raw HORSE meat. They love to eat those with beer or saki.
*The Japanese are using a loophole in the international law to continue whaling although it has been banned for 20 years.
*They slaughter about 1,000 whale (ENDANGERED SPECIES) & about 20,000 dolphins every year.
*Because they eat so many dolphins, the dolphins have a bleak future."

Thank you rainbowwarrior777 for your insightful commentary!

FnordChan

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This ad is good, and the music fits the mood great.

MattKeil said:
That was even worse than the PS9 thing.

Wow @ this thread.
Wow at you... PS9 ad was one of the most iconic gaming related ads ever made, and has done a lot more for PS2 awareness than you seem to think.

Uncle

mckmas8808 said:
Ummm the kids are preparing for the launch of the PS3, the sameway people in Indepence Day were preparing for aliens in that movie.

It's quite simple actually. Simple commercial, yet brillant.

Wait... Is that resemblance a good thing in your opinion?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
gave me that excited feeling i used to get when i was younger, as if I hadn't been imbittered by years of intraweb skeptiscism.

Bud said:
The ad got the job done and pulled of the whole excitement thing.

However, SCEE>>>>SCEA in the marketing department.
is that the same SCEE that thought up those "this is lliving ads" and the "boxing = resistance" ads? if so......then NO F*KIN WAY is SCEE >>> SCEA :lol

bud

frAntic_Frog said:
is that the same SCEE that thought up those "this is lliving ads" and the "boxing = resistance" ads? if so......then NO F*KIN WAY is SCEE >>> SCEA :lol

i lol at you

Top Bottom