• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walt Disney community thread: the Man, the Mouse, and their legacy.

BumRush

New Fantasyland. Be Our Guest is a great place for food if you're looking for a nice meal. The castle hub is redone. There's supposed to be a new Jungle Cruise restaurant opening within the next month or two. There's Test Track 2.0. Some people like the old one better. It had a better overall premise, but the new theme is kinda neat. There's a lot of new restaurants in Downtown if you like doing that sort of thing. It's not new but if you're going before mid-November there is the Food & Wine festival happening. You're gonna have to familiarize yourself with the new fastpass+ system. A lot of Hollwood Studios is stripped down in anticipation for Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land. Animal Kingdom has been pretty much the same for a while until Avatar Land and the new nighttime shows.

Thank you! Much appreciated

TEJ

I am a bit curious as to how much of a monthly fee everyone here would pay for a hypothetical disney streaming service.

It would be ad free and have high quality picture and audio.
It would include

-every single animated movie in the disney animated canon
-every pixar film
-every live action disney film, from the walt days to stuff like the modern cinderella remake.
-every tv show, animated or live action, that disney still has the rights to. Which includes stuff on abc and the disney channel among others.
-every single mickey mouse / donald duck / etc short. Silly symphonies too. And every other short movie made for disney and pixar films.
-every single direct to video release, and animated film not pixar or in the wdas canon ( gnomeo and juliet, etc)
-all the lucasarts and disney owned marvel movies
-The more controversial stuff, like song of the south and that ww2 era donald duck short. These would come with disclaimers explaining certain things about them.

Newer movies would still be released onto it fairly quickly, and there would still be perks for those who buy the physical version.

RetroMG

I am a bit curious as to how much of a monthly fee everyone here would pay for a hypothetical disney streaming service.

Personally, I probably wouldn't pay more than $15/month. But I'm probably not the target market. I love the Disney parks, but aside from stuff like Gravity Falls, I don't regularly watch Disney Shows or movies.

Although if the Marvel and Star Wars movies were included in this, then that might be a different story.

EDIT: I don't have kids, either. If I had kids that number would probably jump.

On a completely different note, my wife and I are going to DL in two weeks, and she has her heart set on getting a Halloween Minnie Ears Headband, to the point where she's considering ordering it online before we go. I told her I didn't think it was necessary, because they will almost certainly have them in the parks. Anyone know anything on this? I'd hate to get there and find out they are all sold out.

Somnia

13 1/2 days till I leave!

Taking my Mom for her birthday, we're going from Oct 10th-17th. We haven't been since 2010 and use to go yearly :(

Already have next years trip planned, booking Animal Kingdom Lodge for her 60th birthday.

Taking my Mom for her birthday, we're going from Oct 10th-17th. We haven't been since 2010 and use to go yearly :(

Already have next years trip planned, booking Animal Kingdom Lodge for her 60th birthday.

Which park(s) for the October trip? Doing not so scary Halloween?

daydream

Banned

It would include

-every pixar film
-every live action disney film, from the walt days to stuff like the modern cinderella remake.
-every tv show, animated or live action, that disney still has the rights to. Which includes stuff on abc and the disney channel among others.
-every single mickey mouse / donald duck / etc short. Silly symphonies too. And every other short movie made for disney and pixar films.
-every single direct to video release, and animated film not pixar or in the wdas canon ( gnomeo and juliet, etc)
-The more controversial stuff, like song of the south and that ww2 era donald duck short. These would come with disclaimers explaining certain things about them.

Newer movies would still be released onto it fairly quickly, and there would still be perks for those who buy the physical version.

i'd pay around 10€ tops, most if not all of the classic animated shows are available through other means for me to own permanently so i wouldn't get too much out of it. i think disney probably realises that. also, they wanna give their oeuvre an additional premium value, that's why the vault is what it is. a streaming service would do away with that.

though don't get me wrong, i think a lot of disney fans would absolutely love it, and from that standpoint, it'd be the right thing to do (if not the most profitable)

zeemumu

It would include

-every pixar film

I'd pay the amount that I pay for Netflix, because if Disney did its own it would probably end up pulling it's movies from Netflix

Somnia

Which park(s) for the October trip? Doing not so scary Halloween?

We're staying at All-Star Movies, we'll be doing all of the parks. Sadly no MNSSHP this time around. I really wanted to, but it just didn't work out for us to go, maybe next year :)

I have all my dining reservations ready to go. We're eating at Coral Reef, San Angel Inn, Boma (for her Birthday), Via Nappoli, Le Cellier, 50s Prime Time and Be Our Guest. Via, 50s and BOG are the only new ones the rest we've done multiple times.

I have every intention of stopping by the new Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar also at Disney Springs (trying to get use to that instead of Downtown Disney) and at least try a couple off their apps and some drinks.

It would include

-every pixar film

Eh, I think I'd prefer just buying the movies on blu-ray.

Speaking of which, I'm about to write an essay about the ww2 era Disney propaganda shorts.

Bam

Banned

I've always wanted to stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, but the distance from Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios kills it for me. It's soooo beautiful though

zeemumu

I think I'm all burnt out on Disneyland for the week. We went on Tuesday, then they called me for another impromptu trip yesterday, but none of us knew that they were doing the Halloween Party that day so they closed Disneyland at 7 and funneled everyone into California Adventure.

Anyone feel qualified (and motivated) to do a Food & Wine [OT] for those of us not as informed?

This will be my first (which is sad as I've lived here for like five years) and I feel overwhelmed. This is my first Passholder experience year and I've loved it.

Friends are in town from Oct 9-16 and I'll be joining them as much as possible throughout.

Any takers?

Anyone feel qualified (and motivated) to do a Food & Wine [OT] for those of us not as informed?

This will be my first (which is sad as I've lived here for like five years) and I feel overwhelmed. This is my first Passholder experience year and I've loved it.

Friends are in town from Oct 9-16 and I'll be joining them as much as possible throughout.

Any takers?
Would a separate thread gain much traction? I wonder how many in this thread are attending? I'll be going the 2nd last & last week in October. Our NSSHP night is on the 25th. I don't think I'll be dressing up this year though.

zeemumu

Any takers?

I don't think I'm doing the Halloween Party this year. I've already got Knott's Scary Farm and Halloween Horror Nights queued up.

Anyone know if they're doing annual passholder anniversary events again this year? Mine would be in december

Somnia

I'll be there in a couple weeks for Food/Wine. I will be taking a LOT of photos to share when I get back. Using all 14 of our snack credits there lol

BumRush

Just got back from Disney World after not going for about 3 years.

Went to Food & Wine on Friday when it opened and spent like 6 hours (and 35 snacks) there with my wife and sister / brother in law.

Any questions, I'm glad to help!

muteki

I'm heading down to the annual Wine & Food in about a month, looking forward to it.

To be honest though, I almost enjoy the permanent restaurants like Les Halles and Tangerine Cafe more than the Festival stands. It is always difficult prioritizing because I can only eat so much.

On the plus side, no table service reservations this time around so should have much more freedom choosing what to eat.

I'm heading down to the annual Wine & Food in about a month, looking forward to it.

To be honest though, I almost enjoy the permanent restaurants like Les Halles and Tangerine Cafe more than the Festival stands. It is always difficult prioritizing because I can only eat so much.

On the plus side, no table service reservations this time around so should have much more freedom choosing what to eat.
Yeah I always go with a decent amount of reservations but for Food & Wine we're going freestyle except maybe trying Morimoto.

Eh, didn't think Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party was really worth it last year at Disneyland. The parade was particularly a let down. If you have kids it'd be great, but I didn't feel the need to go through candy lines more than once. However, the best part of the night were the Pumpkin beignets from the restaurant in New Orleans Square. They were amazing.

Watched Tomorrowland not too long ago and was pleasantly surprised; it's not the best movie in the world, but it was entertaining at least. They didn't do enough with the tomorrow world, but it wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be.

Christopher

Eh, didn't think Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party was really worth it last year at Disneyland. The parade was particularly a let down. If you have kids it'd be great, but I didn't feel the need to go through candy lines more than once. However, the best part of the night were the Pumpkin beignets from the restaurant in New Orleans Square. They were amazing.

Watched Tomorrowland not too long ago and was pleasantly surprised; it's not the best movie in the world, but it was entertaining at least. They didn't do enough with the tomorrow world, but it wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be.

The Florida one was different:

Full bag of name brand candy
Amazing special fireworks show
The boo to you parade is amazing
The Sanderson sisters from hocus pocus castle show is awesome

It was a damn good time

Yeah the one at WDW has an actual parade vs a cavalcade of characters at DLR although this year they'll just be running Paint the Night through party dates. DLR has actual Halloween themed attractions but you can experience them on a regular day of the season.

Great day at Magic Kingdom and a bit of Epcot today meeting friends from out of town. Got my last stamp on my Food & Wine passport so I can pick up my free Passholder wine glass on Thursday when I am back.

Stopped at Disney Springs on the way home, and saw some Disney Star Wars merch which was cool as the rumor is that they are discontinuing the line. I think that's a HUGE loss as I really love Jedi Mickey, et al.

RetroMG

Just back from a weekend at Disneyland. Holy crap was it hot. Spent a lot of my weekend saying, "Where is the nearest seat in the shade?"

The Paint the Night Parade is awesome. If you haven't seen it, you should, although I recommend waiting for the second show of the night, so that the crowds clear out a bit.

Also, the Disneyland Forever fireworks show is pretty freaking awesome. For the best experience, I recommend standing on main street itself, on the end with the Plaza Inn and Jolly Holiday, but back a little bit so that you can see the projections on the buildings on either side. They really make the show.

Somnia

Great day at Magic Kingdom and a bit of Epcot today meeting friends from out of town. Got my last stamp on my Food & Wine passport so I can pick up my free Passholder wine glass on Thursday when I am back.

Stopped at Disney Springs on the way home, and saw some Disney Star Wars merch which was cool as the rumor is that they are discontinuing the line. I think that's a HUGE loss as I really love Jedi Mickey, et al.

We're here right now too, just got back from San Angel Inn. It's much busier than normal for this time of the year, we usually come this week every year because it's slower. This year though its hotter and busier than usual. Girl at the resort told me they are running at 100% capacity which is very unusual for October.

Either way it's been a blast!

We're here right now too, just got back from San Angel Inn. It's much busier than normal for this time of the year, we usually come this week every year because it's slower. This year though its hotter and busier than usual. Girl at the resort told me they are running at 100% capacity which is very unusual for October.

Either way it's been a blast!

Stopped by Disney Spring's D*Tech had a Donald Duck case custom made for my new iPhone 6s+. I usually go caseless with iPhones but it's big and this one I am afraid of dropping.

DTECHO124555.jpg

2nd row down, fifth phone over! I LOVE IT!

zeemumu

Just back from a weekend at Disneyland. Holy crap was it hot. Spent a lot of my weekend saying, "Where is the nearest seat in the shade?"

The Paint the Night Parade is awesome. If you haven't seen it, you should, although I recommend waiting for the second show of the night, so that the crowds clear out a bit.

Also, the Disneyland Forever fireworks show is pretty freaking awesome. For the best experience, I recommend standing on main street itself, on the end with the Plaza Inn and Jolly Holiday, but back a little bit so that you can see the projections on the buildings on either side. They really make the show.

It's been ridiculous lately. I keep trying to find a day when it isn't crowded with little success. I went yesterday with some friends thinking "Hey, it's Tuesday in the middle of October with no major holidays this week that would give people a day off to go. We should all go to Disneyland." But nope, crowded as if it was still summer. That much body heat lumped into one place made the lines in the non-air conditioned rides a bit of a pain. We still had fun, though.

Somnia

People complain about Disney raising prices, etc. But after this trip (here till Saturday) I don't blame Disney as a company lol

It's the slow season and it feels like I'm in the middle of a summer trip. I thankfully have been so often I know what I'm doing and saw everything at Magic Kingdom ride wise by 1130am so I could just do whatever from there on out.

DIS Unplugged podcast are 100% right, until Disney doesn't have capacity issues all year, prices will keep going up. I don't see crowds going down anytime soon with Avatar Land, Toy Story Land, rest of Disney Springs and Star Wars Land coming.

People complain about Disney raising prices, etc. But after this trip (here till Saturday) I don't blame Disney as a company lol

It's the slow season and it feels like I'm in the middle of a summer trip. I thankfully have been so often I know what I'm doing and saw everything at Magic Kingdom ride wise by 1130am so I could just do whatever from there on out.

DIS Unplugged podcast are 100% right, until Disney doesn't have capacity issues all year, prices will keep going up. I don't see crowds going down anytime soon with Avatar Land, Toy Story Land, rest of Disney Springs and Star Wars Land coming.

A lot of schools have parts of the week off for Columbus day (or indigenous peoples days) and the Halloween season brings in crowds.

My last trip to Disneyland left me with a bad taste in my mouth. It was the first time I felt that Disneyland was trying to grab cash at the expense of patrons simply because they could. Disneyworld in 50 days, so obviously it didn't turn me off too much.

zeemumu

A lot of schools have parts of the week off for Columbus day (or indigenous peoples days) and the Halloween season brings in crowds.

My last trip to Disneyland left me with a bad taste in my mouth. It was the first time I felt that Disneyland was trying to grab cash at the expense of patrons simply because they could. Disneyworld in 50 days, so obviously it didn't turn me off too much.

I guess that would explain it. I'll try Disneyland again next week.

Somnia

Yes we know this, but as I said we go this week every year, this is beyond what it has ever been.

Zalman

I was in Disneyland Anaheim last week. I've become pretty familiar with Disney parks, as I have previously been to the Paris and Orlando ones multiple times.

It was interesting to see what was different. The main park was almost exactly the same as the Magic Kingdom in Orlando, which didn't really surprise me. Some rides were different. Sadly the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor was missing, which was one of my favorites. Either way, I had fun. The next day I went to California Adventure, which was by far my favorite part. Maybe because it was so unique compared to the other parks I've already been to. Some of my favorite rides reappeared, like Soarin' and Toy Story Mania. The best thing I saw was by far the Aladdin musical they had. It was incredible, and it reminded me why I love Disney so much in the first place. If you ever go, I think this is a must-see. Lastly I saw the World of Color night show, which was also very impressive. The park was packed and I had to stand there waiting for a full hour, but it was worth it at the end. At one point they started a Let It Go singalong. Every time I hear the piano at the beginning, I always think "come on, really?", but when it really gets going I completely understand why. I still get into the song. I really don't mind the "milking" of Frozen. I think it's the best Disney movie since the '90s and it totally deserves all the attention.

Overall I'm very happy I went. It didn't feel as magical as the first time I went to Orlando, but I didn't expect it to. World is the better experience, but it was still nice to see just how different/similar they are.

The best thing I saw was by far the Aladdin musical they had. It was incredible, and it reminded me why I love Disney so much in the first place. If you ever go, I think this is a must-see.

It's only going to be around until next January unfortunately. A new Frozen musical will take its place. I think it's time they brought in a new show but it's still a bummer to see Aladdin go.

zeemumu

I don't have much else to do today so I've decided to take a trip to Disneyland. It will most likely be crowded due to it still being the weekend, but I want to see Fantasmic and they don't have that show during any of the slow weekdays outside of the summer. It's not supposed to be as hot as its been the past few weeks.

About 8 stops to make to complete this year's Epcot Food & Wine Passport!

About a month to do it so I'm well past schedule. Pretty good for my first Passholder F&W.

So far my favorite dish is the amazing Buttered Chicken in Africa. The sauce was epic. As far as fave drink it's between the Pineapple Sake in Japan, and the ACE hard Pumpkin Cider at Farm Fresh.

What's everyone liking?

Here's a story for my Disney loving friends. Maybe you all will understand it better than my class.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PZJBu1bxVPuyjNV5nWUaJZnTa8yegA7hh9cQw8H2W5Q/edit?usp=sharing

A couple of side notes. I was bound to only 5 pages, and I had to include an opening picture and time shifts, and senses other than sight. So some of it sounds rather forced and wasn't in my original draft. I had to edit out like 2 paragraphs of lines, and I feel like I lost more content to the story because I had to add other things in.

Top Bottom