• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Weekend Confirmed 2014 Thread

Joeku

Weekend Confirmed has been a weekly staple of my life for years now. I'm sad to see it go.

But everyone involved has the ability to do bigger and better things, and I expect that of all of them.

Godspeed you, Garnett Lee, and whatever you do with your next goddamn show.

Just finished listening to the last episode, have been following Garnett since 1up Yours and have listened to every episode of Weekend Confirmed so thank you to Garnett and Jeff and every single guest that's ever been on the show. I will be listening to whatever you do next.

thuway

The bandwith requirements to stream PS1 and PS2 titles would be far more costly than to just let a user download them completely. PS3 makes sense since titles can be massive and the hardware isn't there.

jmood88

Never heard the super early leahy episodes, so this was my first exposure to him. Seriously? This dude is genuinely hilarious. The Garnett, Leahy, Cannata, and Xav combo was as good as any of the old 1up Yours podcasts. Hope when Garnett reforms the show, it includes these guys.

Also, +1 to Garnett doing more house music.

Speaking of which, what was the name of that song? I don't usually like Garnett's music but that one was nice.

I hope Garnett lines up something else soon. I have listened to his god damn show every week for most of my adult life, between 1UP Yours and WC.

I would definitely be willing to donate/back any endeavor he decided to embark on.

Was going back listening to some old shows and found episode 86 from
November 2011.

Christian nailed the WiiU being a flop. Also the E3 2011 podcast John nailed it too.

Finished listening to the final episode. It was very well done. Can't wait to see what Garnett does in the future, I will definitely be there.

Some Andrea "hate" below so feel free to ignore if you're tired of it:

Also any future episodes with Andrea needs to have Christian and/or Brian on, they make her completely tolerable to me.
You could tell she was not prepared to be called out cause she was quiet for a good few seconds and quickly tried to backpedal. She's obviously entitled to have her own opinions but the whole thing with her and "her" Vita was laughable, and I'm glad people were calling her out on it for once.

Also I found it strange that she said she said she was telling Sony people that she wanted to return her unit, but later on said that she wanted to play Tearaway. I don't know what to believe with her and systems/games she's not interested in.

Sorry to be that person, but I say this purely from a listener's point of view and it's no way a judgement on that person personally, but thank the lord Leahy has not been around.

With regards to the Wii U and the gamepad, I personally think it's too easy and simplistic to say that Nintendo looked at Apple and tried to copy that.

I think it was Nintendo realising the the role the Wii ended up playing in the lives of the consumers that bought the thing and trying to adapt the successive console to suit their needs rather than a horrible copy of a competitor.

They seemed to have realised the Wii was the console that was adopted by the family, by the typical bunch that had it in the living room to play the party gaemz etc. Knowing that people weren't using the thing as the living room tv was dominating the space, it appears that wanted to aim a console that can compliment the living room environment.

It was the "family" console that could be played at any time according to the person that wanted to play it, they could play it on the main tv or change it to the gamepad when someone wanted to watch their soaps. Coupled with the continued emphasis on local play, from Nintendoland to Mario 3D World hints at the fact they wanted a group together to be playing with one another, their ideal was the family in the living room.

Edit: so Andrea gets a complimentary Vita from Sony, knows she won't use it, offers to send it back, won't be bribed and sell out to the man and she gets flak
Kappa
?

And the killer app for the thing has been Tearaway, something that has only been released in the past few months. So she was justified in having the thing boxed then?

Yeah, it was a great final episode.
It was good to have Brian back on, he's smart, a bit cynical and knows his Halo.

Hope Garnett lands on his feet soon, that man deserves it, seems to work his ass off.

empathe

Sorry to be that person, but I say this purely from a listener's point of view and it's no way a judgement on that person personally, but thank the lord Leahy has not been around.

With regards to the Wii U and the gamepad, I personally think it's too easy and simplistic to say that Nintendo looked at Apple and tried to copy that.

Of course its simplistic to say, but a shade of it is really that simple. The bigger problem the Wii U has is that its drastically under powered compared to the PS4/One. It's a 3rd party port outlet, if they even decide to port games there at all.

I don't subscribe to giving companies a pass for poor engineering just because of their history or who they are. The Wii U is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

edit: Or rather, it's a non-solution to a problem that does exist, which is younger gamers are more and more going heavily towards smartphones and tablets and not Nintendo/Consoles.

Of course its simplistic to say, but a shade of it is really that simple. The bigger problem the Wii U has is that its drastically under powered compared to the PS4/One. It's a 3rd party port outlet, if they even decide to port games there at all.

I don't subscribe to giving companies a pass for poor engineering just because of their history or who they are. The Wii U is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

edit: Or rather, it's a non-solution to a problem that does exist, which is younger gamers are more and more going heavily towards smartphones and tablets and not Nintendo/Consoles.

No issue for it to be considered as being poor engineering. That point can be easily conceded.

I know this may appear to be a bit strange but I don't think the console itself is aimed at children firstly. I think it's aimed at the audience they were so able to capture last time round, that is the family or the couple that didn't haven an interest in "traditional gaming". The success of the Wii wasn't that children wanted it, everyone did.

But for all the initial success of the Wii, post 2010 it's completely fallen off, and I think the Wii U and its design was to address why the Wii was no longer being played.

They've failed. Completely. They've failed to address the problem or solve that conundrum, but I think the issues with the Wii gave them more concern rather than Apple or Sony/Microsoft. It would appear they were trying to address the issue of not being able to sustain the Wii's success, that causes them more concerns first then the others.

Third publishers that have survived to this point seem to be disinterested with making nothing but AAA games or the games that catches fire in order to annualise them.

And it continues to remain unsolved.

Teletraan1

Banned
Just finished the final episode. Thanks to the entire cast for the last 4 years of great podcasts. I think one thing that Garnett podcasts always bring is diverse opinions rather than just an echo chamber like you get with some other podcasts where everyone pretty much parrots the same thing because they are all like minded . The opinions only appear controversial if you are some fanboy/girl of certain companies., This makes for some fun reading in the post show thread but it must be a nightmare for the people being talked about by the internet tough guys so I really appreciate the abuse a lot of you take and I am sorry you have to take it but you endure so props to you. I think the mix of guests over the years has been excellent and I hope that a podcast can exist going forward but it seems like things might be more in flux than I originally realized but i remain hopeful.

empathe

No issue for it to be considered as being poor engineering. That point can be easily conceded.

I know this may appear to be a bit strange but I don't think the console itself is aimed at children firstly. I think it's aimed at the audience they were so able to capture last time round, that is the family or the couple that didn't haven an interest in "traditional gaming". The success of the Wii wasn't that children wanted it, everyone did.

But for all the initial success of the Wii, post 2010 it's completely fallen off, and I think the Wii U and its design was to address why the Wii was no longer being played.

They've failed. Completely. They've failed to address the problem or solve that conundrum, but I think the issues with the Wii gave them more concern rather than Apple or Sony/Microsoft. It would appear they were trying to address the issue of not being able to sustain the Wii's success, that causes them more concerns first then the others.

Third publishers that have survived to this point seem to be disinterested with making nothing but AAA games or the games that catches fire in order to annualise them.

And it continues to remain unsolved.

I agree that it was trying to get away from what ended up happening with the Wii, but I think they completely missed the mark.

The Wii was a flash in the pan that got a whole new audience that never bought a console to buy one, but they never converted into an attached audience.

The Wii U feels like a collection of market research and parental feedback that led to a complete whiff.

"I don't like how my TV is used when my kid wants to play a game" - Great! Here's remote play!

"Oh, little Johnny plays with his iPad now" - Great! We have a tablet!

"Well, I already bought all those remotes and controllers, I don't want to just throw those away." - Great! We'll still use those!

Slam dunk, right?

DieH@rd

Banned
Finished the last episode....
/feels

I listened to every episode from start to end, what a ride. Hopefully Jeff will find new podcasting home.

Harlock

I hope Garnett find a new home, doing more video stuff and podcast. Game media needs more senior people. In various cases, people need a good job to pay the bills and go work with companies that not allow employes doing podcast, like Apple.

About weekend confirmed, I hated some episodes, when the crew was drunk and talking shit, but was fun trolling here and so everything is ok. And most of episodes were very good.

The name of new show could be Fridays+something. I see that garnett dont like obvious game names, using more radio shows style.

And about Starcraft 2 talk, there are a lot of snowball effect, where matches are defined by the opening, but this problem exist in Dota2 too. And I think is worse, because the matches are longer.

empathe

And about Starcraft 2 talk, there are a lot of snowball effect, where matches are defined by the opening, but this problem exist in Dota2 too. And I think is worse, because the matches are longer.

The matches are longer, on average, but pro games have GG's as well. Also, Dota 2 has snowballing, sure, but it also has WAY more comeback mechanics.

They are very different games in that way.

SC2 is more about race matchups and opening builds where Dota 2 is about line-up choices and item progression, but Dota 2 is far more exciting to me.

I look back at all the GSL finals for the first few years of SC2 that were sweeps or pretty one-sided, vs. Dota 2 tourneys like TI3 that went to the final game and were fucking incredible to put it lightly.

I mean, Jesus, watch this final game of TI3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_x62_d7DZA

demidar

There are essentially an infinite amount of matchups in Dota 2, 5v5 with 100+ heroes in any configuration possible with most of these heroes, and then teamwork with 4 other individually thinking human beings adds in even more unpredictability.

rottame

I've been listening since the days of 1Up Yours, and it's so sad that Weekend Confirmed has ended. Thanks to Garnett, Jeff* and everyone else for all these years of free entertainment. You've been great company during a lot of long, boring, workdays.

*as a Sicilian I find the way Americans pronounce "Cannata" pretty funny (Cannata is a fairly common Sicilian surname)

Grisby

Weekend Forever-irmed.

Damn.

Thanks so much to everyone who made this podcast special. For me, it was one of the first podcasts that I listened to on a weekly basis, looking forward to each show. We went through Brian leaving to bringing in the awesome Indie Jeff and Xav before finally closing it out with Ozzie and Yoon. A myriad of regular guests like Spicer, Andrea, and Stevenson only helped make the weekends all the more enjoyable.

You know, I can't really say anything that would show my appreciation for the show. I just know that it's something I'll remember fondly. So, thank Garnett and Jeff for rocking my ears for 4 years. I'll be there for whatever comes next.

Some good WC memories:
-Super Mega Worm, of course.
-Cannata afford
-The remixes getting drove into the ground
-Somebody stopping someone's shine, still haven't figured out who.
-Brian's special news jingle
-Goldeneye, and Spicer's climb from 'comedian' to having more strong and concrete comments on games (vita for lyfe).

Sigh, dammit this last show cut me deep y'all. Cut me deep!
NUhEa.gif

I actually just got into listening to this and podcast in general not even a month ago and it's gone. These guys have done an amazing job. Best wishes to all involved

Thank you

theowne

By the way, I just want to voice some love for the seemingly forgotten Plan-B - Billy Berghammer. His Nintendo love was appreciated.

witness

Finished the last episode, so sad there at the end with Jeff and G-Man. It was so good to have Brian and Xav together, that group is so enjoyable to listen to. Rivals any podcast Mr. Lee has ever been apart of. I hope that they get their next podcast off the ground soon, I loved having Weekend Confirmed fired up for my drive home after work every Friday.

Harlock

The matches are longer, on average, but pro games have GG's as well. Also, Dota 2 has snowballing, sure, but it also has WAY more comeback mechanics.

They are very different games in that way.

SC2 is more about race matchups and opening builds where Dota 2 is about line-up choices and item progression, but Dota 2 is far more exciting to me.

I look back at all the GSL finals for the first few years of SC2 that were sweeps or pretty one-sided, vs. Dota 2 tourneys like TI3 that went to the final game and were fucking incredible to put it lightly.

I mean, Jesus, watch this final game of TI3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_x62_d7DZA

In various cases SC2 tournaments have the best games at semi-finals and quarter-finals. Maybe because the oponnets are more even

I know that Dota2 and LoL have way more audience, but I still think that SC2 is more interesting to watch. The team sport analogy is not 100% correct because in basketball or soccer you have one ball. One point of more interesting, while in moba games are multiple battles to give attention. In SC2 you have multiple battles too, but still 1v1, with the casters telling what going in 1v1 actions.

Another aspect is that moba games are more fantasy/creatures/spell based, while SC2 is more military based, giving the audience something more easy to understand, even if the people dont know all the mechanics and strategy behind the combat.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Garnett better not let anyone stop his shine even if he continues on the Dev side.

Get that PayPal link up ASAP dude!!!

Sneds

Can we still suggest names? I've come up with some belters:

MC G. Lee and the Video Game Funk Squad. The hook is that Garnett raps each episode about that week's video game news.

Big Poppa Garnett's Video Game Slop-bucket.
Garnett introduces each segment with a loud "seweeee!". Banjo music plays constantly in the background.

Yeah if a paypal link is gonna go up it should be soon. People are gonna want to donate as close to the final episode as possible before they either forget or move on.

TooOldForGames

Neo Member
Just wanted to express my gratitude to Garnett, Jeff, and the rest of the crew who made Weekend Confirmed a reality, not to mention one of the best damn podcasts on the internet. I join the many, many others who are very sad to be losing this fantastic slice of life every Friday, and also want to wish everyone the best of luck in their future endeavors.

Oh, and if crowd funding is a way to bring these fantastic people back to the airwaves, you can count on my support.

Curufinwe

Andrea's response when they were talking about how well Killzone sold on the PS4 was pathetic. If a Microsoft launch title had sold over 2 million she would have been ecstatic.

DriveClub has always been a AAA first party exclusive from a top Sony studio, just like Infamous and Killzone. The fact they are releasing a pared down PS+ version of it doesn't change that.

Nymphae

Banned
I really appreciated Garnett's stance on "owing" his listeners something. Jeff is technically right, Garnett has provided us with dozens and dozens of hours of content for free, and Garnett should be free to do whatever it is he wants to do, if that means going whole hog into development, then so be it.

But what I took away from hearing Garnett describe why he feels he owes his listeners is that it really REALLY sounds like Garnett's true passion is talking games. It almost sounds like he went into development because it was (for lack of a better term) easy, he had connections probably and knows his stuff. But hearing him talk about podcasting, the man has a passion for it. I wish he was able to make a living off of it and really pursue it properly. His shows are the only one's I've followed every single week without fail, since the inception of 1upYours.

He's right - I'm not hearing the level of discourse that 1upYours brought to the table ANYWHERE. Just lots of apathetic podcasters who are going through motions every week. Weekend Confirmed is as close as it gets to the ideal in my mind, and I mean that in the best possible way with no disrespect to any of the current lineup.

I wish you the best of luck with your endeavours in development Garnett, and I look forward to listening to and supporting whatever it is you end up producing next.

tino

Banned
Have Garnett consider becoming a youtuber?

Is it really important to stay in the professional gaming press nowadays?

I know its a lot to ask you to gamble your career on but I think 10 years from now the gaming press will completely move to community/social media.

I am fine if your want to become a publisher communitu manager type, but try to neogociate a deal that let you do podcast every week.

krae_man

Garnett, if you want your new podcast to have game in it to help with discovery. Couldn't you just call it "whatever inside joke you want": The Video Game Podcast?

bender

What time is it?
But what I took away from hearing Garnett describe why he feels he owes his listeners is that it really REALLY sounds like Garnett's true passion is talking games. It almost sounds like he went into development because it was (for lack of a better term) easy, he had connections probably and knows his stuff. But hearing him talk about podcasting, the man has a passion for it. I wish he was able to make a living off of it and really pursue it properly. His shows are the only one's I've followed every single week without fail, since the inception of 1upYours.

Not that he should be, but he sounded more guilty. He sounds enthusiastic about his ventures into development and it seems as though he feels pursuing this further is betraying his audience. I can understand where he is coming from but he should chase down whatever makes him happy. Focus on that and see if a new podcast is still viable afterwards. If going into development conflicts with a gaming podcast and he still has the itch, he can do his music cast.

At any rate, thank you Garnett and good luck in the future!

Curufinwe

Man, Garnett really doesn't owe us listeners anything more than what he's given us already. If he finds a better opportunity in development than in games media/podcasting go for it.

Big Poppa Garnett's Video Game Slop-bucket.
Garnett introduces each segment with a loud "seweeee!". Banjo music plays constantly in the background.
I like it. Like the video game equivalent of Hee Haw. They can do a video version with Jeff C and guests dressed up like pigs, cavorting about on all fours.

frequency

As a fan, I love my Wii U.

I'm not an investor. I have no stake in Nintendo. I have no interest in Nintendo being rich. Nintendo right now, even with the "failure" Wii U, is giving me some amazing gaming experiences that neither Sony or Microsoft did in this passed holiday season.

So as a fan, I have no reason to root for Nintendo to fail with the Wii U and for a new console to come so soon.
As a fan, I don't care at all about the third party support. I have other consoles for that. I don't need a third player in the Sony/Microsoft race. I prefer the unique experiences Nintendo is giving me with what they have right now.

Nintendo can never win the Sony/Microsoft race. The closer they come to Sony/Microsoft, the easier it is for people to ignore them. The only hope they have to stay relevant is to be different.

EXGN

My take on the whole media-to-dev scenario: The reason I think the reason it's so frowned upon is because it makes it look like the writer/critic/whatever is just doing media work to get in with the dev side. This calls into question the integrity of the media work he/she is doing, as it's possible this person is just doing it to brown nose a future employer.

Garnett, I think you've proven that your head is the right place and you clearly weren't just doing media stuff for 10 years just to get a dev job. Don't feel bad about making the transition. Everyone who's listening to this who knows anything about games media knows it pays like shit and you got bills to pay. Hope you still stay in touch with the fans and don't go missing if you do make the transition, but don't worry about seeming like a turncoat, the real fans who have been with you since the 1Up days know your intentions have always been genuine.

Thanks to everyone who's worked on/appeared on the show over the past few years. Was one of my favorite podcasts with GiantBomb and I'll miss it.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Nintendo can never win the Sony/Microsoft race. The closer they come to Sony/Microsoft, the easier it is for people to ignore them. The only hope they have to stay relevant is to be different.

I agree that they need more than parity to stay relevant. The problem is that Nintendo's idea of being different isn't just about new controls methods and such, it's also about not delivering basic functionality we've come to expect from a gaming machine.

As a HUGE Nintendo fan, I couldn't give a shit if they stopped console development completely and put everything on PC. In fact, there's really nothing I'd want more to happen.

matt360

I just finished listening to the final episode. I kept putting it off, only listening in short spurts because I didn't want it to end. What a great send-off though. I couldn't have asked for a better final show. Some great discussion throughout, many familiar voices from the past, and an emotional farewell.

Garnett, Jeff, Ozzie, Yoon, Spicer, or anyone else who was a part of the show that might be browsing GAF: thank you. Weekend Confirmed was a staple in my life over the last 4 years and its absence is already being felt. It was something I looked forward to every week. The guests, the discussions, the jokes, the bickering, the rants, the laughter, all of it was great.

And Garnett, don't feel like a turncoat. It's clear that you have an incredible talent and a gift for radio, and it's obvious that being behind a mic suits you well. But you personally, through your hard work, have given me countless hours of entertainment, information on the industry, and even therapy! You don't owe me a damn thing. If anything, I think we as your listeners owe it to you to give you our full support in your next endeavor.

I listened to the final episode tonight. I haven't listened to every episode, but I'm a fan. Thank you for your consistently high quality for the past 4 years. The combination of news, insight and a casual atmosphere made the show enjoyable all throughout. I also enjoyed the more philosophical bent the show sometimes took, though I know there are many mixed feelings about those kinds of discussions. I hope that the duo of Lee and Cannata remains inseparable, and wherever they go in the future, I will follow.

Top Bottom