• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filed in October, published today

But the article is from August. I think they just reused old patent images.

The controller 5 provides the game device 3 with operation data representing the content of operations performed on the controller itself. The controller 5 and the game device 3 can communicate with each other by wireless communication. In the present embodiment, the wireless communication between a controller 5 and the game device 3 uses, for example, Bluetooth (Registered Trademark) technology. In other embodiments, the controller 5 and the game device 3 may be connected by a wired connection. While only one controller 5 is included in the game system 1 in the present embodiment, the game device 3 can communicate with a plurality of controllers, and a game can be played by multiple players by using a predetermined number of controllers at the same time.

Is this talking about the Wii U controller or Wiimotes?

EDIT: Controller 5 refers to Wiimotes, and Terminal Device 7 refers to the Padlet. So nothing interesting here...

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing these smaller/ indie downloadable titles gradually being announced/ hinted at is a great sign. Wiiware just didn't receive the support to make it a competitor to Xbox Live Arcade, and the slow start to the 3DS eshop has not been encouraging, but I'm starting to believe Nintendo have pulled themselves together in this aspect. XBLA has been pretty much my favourite thing about this gen, and I'm rarely, if ever, left wishing for next-gen graphics in those games. So basic, affordable, downloadable games on Wii U would be great - especially if they take more risks with interesting applications of the Wii U pad (I trust indie devs to do this more than big 3rd party publishers with their ports and shovelware).
Yes, it certainly is encouraging, and I feel the same way about the potential for indie developers to think of creative uses for the Wii U controller. It's worth noting how much easier it would be on the hardware to generate two separate views of the game world when it's dealing with the simpler graphics we expect from indie games.
So they could be sliders AND sticks at the same time?! Mind. BLOWN.
That would be awful.

Something that has become a parody of Duke Nukem might not have a chance of hitting the Wii U. Maybe the next Nintendo console, after the Wii U. :p
So Serious Sam will never come to Wii U? :p

It's very clear even when looking at the game, that Rare was creatively bankrupt. The whole game, even though I still liked it, was a glorified fetch quest compilation, with little redeeming qualities outside of that. It sure looked great though with the fur/grass shader, and the crisp textures and amazing light effects, but the integration of the Starfox characters was so ridiculously bad, as was the whole delivery of the story, characters and cutscenes.

The game was a mess, but still enjoyable to some degree.

Still, I would not want to see another version of it. For one because I think that the Starfox cast isn't working outside the context of cheesy one liners from a cockpit view, and second because such a game should really become a new IP. Nintendo could introduce a new IP that is similar to Zelda in structure, but free from the series conventions.
I'll confess to never playing Star Fox Adventures, but sometimes I look at the concept art for Dinosaur Planet - the N64 original, pre-Star Fox - and wonder what we'd have had if Nintendo hadn't decided to shoehorn the license onto it. Presumably it'd have been a new IP, subsequently lost in the shuffle with the Microsoft buyout of Rare...?

I'm not sure Nintendo would be okay with the idea of crossplay Wii U-PC or Wii U-PS3.
Doesn't that Ghost Recon Online thingamabob explicitly support Wii U <-> PC?

Yes, it certainly is encouraging, and I feel the same way about the potential for indie developers to think of creative uses for the Wii U controller. It's worth noting how much easier it would be on the hardware to generate two separate views of the game world when it's dealing with the simpler graphics we expect from indie games.

Henry Hatsworth HD. Believe.

Discomurf

That would be awful.

indeed.

sliding and tilting has been done before...

con_Atari5200.jpg

Hype reconfirmed.

This is from a brand new patent document published today.

I invite you all to dig through it and find some more nuggets :)

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20120115595.pdf

I wouldn't read too much into the art from this patent. On the first page it shows a first model Wii console instead of a Wii U. If we took this literally, we would have to assume the Wii U was a Wii add-on instead of a real system. But hey- at least it would have the Gamecube ports back.

They weren't defended as being better; just good enough. Plus, it's one less thing to complain about.

But it turned out to be meaningless anyway.
I think people got caught by surprised at how good the 3ds slider actually is,especially when compared to the awful psv sticks.

The controller 5 provides the game device 3 with operation data representing the content of operations performed on the controller itself. The controller 5 and the game device 3 can communicate with each other by wireless communication. In the present embodiment, the wireless communication between a controller 5 and the game device 3 uses, for example, Bluetooth (Registered Trademark) technology. In other embodiments, the controller 5 and the game device 3 may be connected by a wired connection. While only one controller 5 is included in the game system 1 in the present embodiment, the game device 3 can communicate with a plurality of controllers, and a game can be played by multiple players by using a predetermined number of controllers at the same time.

Semi-confirmation that at least one Wiimote will be packed in?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I think people got caught by surprised at how good the 3ds slider actually is,especially when compared to the awful psv sticks.

Yeah, there is one major hardware difference between the 3DS and PSVita that I prefer on the 3DS (3D aside), and it is the circle pads compared to those nub-like analogs on Vita.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is when we need ideaman to come back to tell us whether this has anything to do with the controller news he has.

Was there anything new in that patent, though? I was looking at the controller patent and it didn't appear that there was anything new.

i agree somewhat with this, PSV sticks are way to small, slippery and fragile....i actially prefer the slider from PSP too...
Edit: Also, i think people clamoring for Analog will need to take into consideration that this is a big controller, comfort should come first and the sliders will probably be more comfortable because the thumbs would be more close to the controller than analogs....

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
i agree somewhat with this, PSV sticks are way to small, slippery and fragile....i actially prefer the slider from PSP too...

Crazy talk. I thought that was the worst slider of all time.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Vita's sticks are very nice.

I prefer them over the circle pad, but I do love the circle pad, too.

Huh.. Well for me the nubs are too small for my thumbs, and they create an uncomfortable point during long game sessions. I also have trouble gripping them, but it's more of an annoyance then a hinderance.

Thankfully though the Vita is bigger and doesn't cause my whole hand to cramp and claw up like Kid Icarus/Mario Kart 7 does. :lol

I was just thinking, it'd be cool if the screen on the controller would unclip so you could hold it independantly of the controller's frame.

You could stream movies/internet to it from the Wii U without having to hold the bulk of the controller, too. Perhaps even save movies on to it to take away from home, etc.

You could even stand it upright under the TV so you wouldn't have to look down at the controller to read health bar info or other stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom