• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurntPork

Banned
Ubisofts MMO will come to the Wii U if they want it to. Anything this early on could easily be Wii U games. When Unreal 4 becomes the defacto engine and the nextbox and PS4 are out a few years then you might start worrying.

At this point every game being made thats multiplatform could come to the Wii U if developers want to take the time. Sadly its upto Wii U owners to show that they want the effort done or the well will dry

... Did you just confirm that Wii U isn't getting UE4? If so, then it really is a current-gen system. (My standard for next-gen is running next-gen engines.)

My stance remains that we won't see developers taking Nintendo seriously until there is a fundamental change in the landscape of the industry. To the point where their options become more limited in number, they will turn to Nintendo out of financial necessity.

My bet? Nintendo knows this, and is biding its time.

Or if they see some third party game take off in sales early on in the Wii U's life.

That's not likely to happen but I hope a few of them put up good numbers.

antonz

... Did you just confirm that Wii U isn't getting UE4? If so, then it really is a current-gen system.

No I did not confirm that. I am simply saying there will be a ton more extra effort required when UE4 is the defacto engine. As we know effort isnt applied unless console owners reward it

Oddduck

I'm guessing you guys aren't excited that much about the Wii U controller since I barely hear you guys talk about it.

Edit: Maybe it's a warning sign that Nintendo's new controller won't be that exciting to the general public?

I'm guessing you guys don't care much about the Wii U controller since I barely hear you guys talk about it.

Not much to talk about that we haven't before.

I'll be gladly to talk about it when games are shown.

I think the controller is a can't-lose prospect personally as it's so versatile.

If one idea isn't suiting your fancy, there are other things you can do with it.

BurntPork

Banned
No I did not confirm that.

But you're pretty sure it won't.

I'm guessing you won't answer this, but does the tessellation seem good enough to actually be usable, or is it basically no better than 360?

Edit:

I am simply saying there will be a ton more extra effort required when UE4 is the defacto engine. As we know effort isnt applied unless console owners reward it

Yeah, of course.

Linkhero1

I'm guessing you guys aren't excited that much about the Wii U controller since I barely hear you guys talk about it.

Maybe it's a warning sign that Nintendo's new controller won't be that exciting to the general public?

It'd be exciting if devs actually do stuff with it, but I doubt a lot would invest time into it. I see a lot of item screens, maps, huds, etc. While I do like the idea of removing the entire hud from the main tv, I don't find it that exciting.

antonz

But you're pretty sure it won't.

I'm guessing you won't answer this, but does the tessellation seem good enough to actually be usable, or is it basically no better than 360?

Edit:

Yeah, of course.

Actually much like BG I think UE4 will be feasible to a degree. I dont think you will ever see it being shouted from the rooftops that yes UE4 is coming to the Wii U because frankly it wont be of a quality that Epic would want the entire world watching a demo on the Wii U. Hence why Epic states the systems UE4 is Intended for arent even announced yet. AKA what Epic really wants to people to see of UE4

Gleethor

Edit: Maybe it's a warning sign that Nintendo's new controller won't be that exciting to the general public?

If it wasn't used for anything besides letting me play console games while laying in bed, I'd still call it a success.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think you need to calm down and stop micro analyzing everything. Your faux "doom and gloom" act is getting old, as is the spin you put on everything. Just wait a couple of weeks.

The annoying thing is we really won't have any real answers in a few weeks, in all likelihood.

Hell even if everything the insiders have been posting is true, we really will not know if 3rd parties will be including Wii U in their next gen plans for a long long time.

People need some patience.

HylianTom

Banned

I'm quite, quite excited for it, if only for it to serve as an away-from-the-TV system. A third pillar, almost. I can imagine small icons on game boxes indicating that it's possible to play the game inside entirely on the subscreen itself. Playing VC games on the toilet. Watching YouTube videos on the uPad. Watching friends' live playing sessions on the uPad. That kind of thing.

I'm excited for it because it combines two of my favorite things: a pad interface and gaming. And this is before I've seen what gameplay mechanics Nintendo has cooked-up over the past few years of brainstorming and development, mechanics that will surely demonstrate its reason for existence. Hell, look at what brilliance IdeaMan and GameplayWhore have cooked-up in short order..

edit:
HYPE!

Thraktor

The controller will be exciting to the general public if and only if there are games that use it which the general public find exciting (eg. Wii Sports with the Wiimote). As we know very little about the games Nintendo will be pushing the console with, it's impossible to say at this stage how the controller will go down with the public.

And there certainly is talk about the Wii U controller in these threads, it's just that at the moment we seem to be in the tech discussion part of the cycle
(and not the good tech discussion, unfortunately)

I'm quite, quite excited for it, if only for it to serve as an away-from-the-TV system. A third pillar, almost. I can imagine small icons on game boxes indicating that it's possible to play the game inside entirely on the subscreen itself. Playing VC games on the toilet. Watching YouTube videos on the uPad. Watching friends' live playing sessions on the uPad. That kind of thing.

I think people are underestimating the quality of the controller's screen due to it not being HD and shit like Ipads and all that.

From all accounts it's rather high quality.

japtor

Actually much like BG I think UE4 will be feasible to a degree. I dont think you will ever see it being shouted from the rooftops that yes UE4 is coming to the Wii U because frankly it wont be of a quality that Epic would want the entire world watching a demo on the Wii U
Meanwhile they'll mention it on whatever iPhone or iPad presentation they get invited to while showing off another Infinity Blade game/tech demo. I figure it depends on how the system does, if it's big enough it's a big opportunity for them. Hell they could go the iOS route and make a new game for Wii U while keeping extreme high end stuff on the next Xbox.
I'm all for ambition but THIS.
Don't forget gaming on the crapper!

HylianTom

Banned
I think people are underestimating the quality of the controller's screen due to it not being HD and shit like Ipads and all that.

From all accounts it's rather high quality.
It looks rather nice and sharp from the videos and screenshots I've looked at. Unlike the Wiimote, I don't think I'll wait until Launch Day to first hold it in my hands. As soon as a demo station is set-up nearby, I'm there!

BurntPork

Banned
Actually much like BG I think UE4 will be feasible to a degree. I dont think you will ever see it being shouted from the rooftops that yes UE4 is coming to the Wii U because frankly it wont be of a quality that Epic would want the entire world watching a demo on the Wii U. Hence why Epic states the systems UE4 is Intended for arent even announced yet. AKA what Epic really wants to people to see of UE4

Hm. My exact stance. That's interesting.

I think you need to calm down and stop micro analyzing everything. Your faux "doom and gloom" act is getting old, as is the spin you put on everything. Just wait a couple of weeks.

Sometimes you need to look at the small pieces carefully to see the big picture.

Linkhero1

It looks rather nice and sharp from the videos and screenshots I've looked at. Unlike the Wiimote, I don't think I'll wait until Launch Day to first hold it in my hands. As soon as a demo station is set-up nearby, I'm there!

Same here. I think as soon as they start going on tour with the Wii U I'll go ahead and demo it.

Nintendo branded toilets, a residual business phenomenon.

This gives Suda a reason to give us toilet paper as a preorder item for NMH3.

Erethian

Ubisofts MMO will come to the Wii U if they want it to.

It's stuff like this that I'm far more interested in, than what the technical specs are. In terms of how Nintendo (and Microsoft/Sony too) will start to embrace the new gaming business models popping up on PCs. Like F2P games. The consoles have traditionally been much too rigid in terms of their adoption of that sort of thing. Same goes for how they handle their digital stores, and the restrictions smaller developers face with digital-only content.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I had the freakiest E3 dream last night. Nintendo decided to hold a extravaganza conference. they had open stadium, fireworks, Reggie flying a jetpack, Reggie in cowboy costume, Reggie kissing some woman, said woman speaking poetry about Metroid, Iwata revealing a fat black Wii?, only a glimpse of Wii U which the console now had a dial on it. The Konami guys were on stage?

People were pissed off because it was already 45 minutes into the conference and we had no idea what was going on. Nothing was announced. It was just randomness.

Then someone said this was the Pre-Pre E3 conference just to build hype... :/
That would be the best E3 press conference ever.

If Nintendo want to win E3, they need to bring Naoki Maeda and Tak Fuji to the stage.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Skype would be differentiated from the Vita version because you can use the enormous mechanical dial on the top of the console to call your friends.

Then Sony will bring out an innovative dial add-on, which they have been working on long before Nintendo came up with the idea.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Then Sony will bring out an innovative dial add-on, which they have been working on long before Nintendo came up with the idea.
It's still just an add-on. There'll be a big marketing push, but it won't get much support.

This is why Nintendo are keeping the \dial feature a secret for as long as possible. Even from third parties.

It's still just an add-on. There'll be a big marketing push, but it won't get much support.

This is why Nintendo are keeping the \dial feature a secret for as long as possible. Even from third parties.

/dial is the codename for google voice on Wii U, which runs android 4.0 obviously. Import all your contacts from your android phone in a snap!

Just played a ridiculous amount of Diablo 3, stopped playing, saw The Last of Us trailer posted, enjoyed.

Been a good day. Hopefully we get something tomorrow on this front.

HylianTom

Banned
Anyone feeling that there's something fishy with all of these games being delayed to Q1 2013? Not wanting to compete with the launch, perhaps?

Something just seems too weird about it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom