• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddduck

AGITΩ;37904976 said:
I wouldn't say horrible, since its outperforming the DS almost every point of the life span. 3DS sales might hit a dip come the Pricedrop of the XL and DSi on Sunday for all retailers though, and given how there is still consumer confusion regarding the branding (I run into these weekly).

Nintendo really has their work cut out for them with the name Wii U.

I'm not looking forward to all of these people who think Wii U is just an accessory/add-on for the Wii.

Nibel

wat, Ben 10 is awesome !

It started when an alien device did what it did !
and stuck itself upon his wrist with secrets that it hid !
now he's got super powarz he's no ordinary kid !
he's BEN 10, BEN 10, BEN 10 [robot/alien voice]

i'm far, far away

Need to use the gif again for this post Idy :lol

By the way: we got competition in form of a Diablo III OT.. We can do better

There. Won't. Be. Any. Charts.

There hasn't been since 2008, and it won't happen this year. 3DS sales in the US are nothing to brag about, and they have investor meetings for that.

Plus, it's only less time for the Wii U re-reveal if they do.
I dunno, they might want to reinforce the idea in people's minds that the 3DS is selling incredibly well now that there are some great AAA games out for it. Try to make people forget how it almost failed, and then say how much better the sales are than Vita.

BurntPork

Banned
AGITΩ;37904976 said:
Call it the Ntertainment System. With the Mock tagline "Wii bring U the Ntertainment"

I wouldn't say horrible, since its outperforming the DS almost every point of the life span. 3DS sales might hit a dip come the Pricedrop of the XL and DSi on Sunday for all retailers though, and given how there is still consumer confusion regarding the branding (I run into these weekly).

It's barely above 100k. There's no way to spin that as good.

By the way, it's 2.5 million behind the GBA at the same point in the US. Also behind PSP I think.

Linkhero1

I'm not looking forward to all of these people who think Wii U is just an accessory/add-on for the Wii.

This is the biggest challenge they have to overcome. I feel as if there will be lots of confusion this coming holiday.

BurntPork

Banned
wat, Ben 10 is awesome !

It started when an alien device did what it did !
and stuck itself upon his wrist with secrets that it hid !
now he's got super powarz he's no ordinary kid !
he's BEN 10, BEN 10, BEN 10 [robot/alien voice]

i'm far, far away

The original series was bad, and the upcoming one looks even worse. The middle was okay, though. It's like an Oreo knock-off.

AGITΩ

I already have to deal with these folks. People are more and more aware of whats coming out, but word of mouth and pictures alone do nothing. around 3/4 consumers I converse with at Best Buy and know about the Wii U think it is either a Handheld or an Add on. So I'm really hoping for a rebranding in the re reveal. I dont want another 3DS holiday mass argument with customers who questioned that the 3DS was just a DS with 3D, and for the same price they'll go with the XL because its got a bigger screen. Buy a 3DS game for their DSiXL becuase they all say DS in the name or get made because 3DS games wont play on the DS's. Hated Nintendo's ad campaign so much last year because it carries over to us sales associate. Now I hate Sony's advertising of the Vita and have to deal with customers "I have a PS3, I wanna get a Vita so I can transfer my MW3 from my PS3 to my Vita and take it on the go"

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Little gangsta cat extravaganza consolidated list about Wii U power

My comment was specifically about my sources reactions, impressions, on the mass production dev kits they just received. The increase they witnessed compare to the previous dev kit is slight, they are therefore not impressed by it (like they would if they included a surprising and fantasized 50% overall boost), but not underwhelmed, not disappointed either. It's an noticeable but not huge additional pool of resources given to them, while they were already able to do nice things with the v4 dev kits.

Nice = not 1x Xbox 360, not 1,5x Xbox360, not 5x either. At least 2x from the simple fact that, again, for this specific context (third-parties, ports, before the mass production dev kits arrival, 3 sdk revisions previous the current ones, before a lot of optimizations in several areas, intensive use of the padlet, etc.), they managed to run a nice looking current gen HD game++ (++ = smoother framerate, better IQ, expectation of a few effects not present on ps360 version) on the TV (so let's say 1,2/1,3/1,4x Xbox360) + another view of the main scene at 480p on the padlet (0,3/0,4/0,5x Xbox360 considering the resolution + as blu and other explained, it's quite demanding to render this kind of thing from the same hardware). And it can only get better from this observation/status relevant 3 months ago.

I think it's the 150th time that i repeat that (with some updates here & there), but i think it was necessary after the "what, the Wii U is a DISAPOINTMENTON equal to xbox360" comments from a few since yesterday :p

Luigison

I thought that the "BURN THE WITCH" part would have made it clear that I was joking. :(

Hey, is that heart thing a fat joke? :mad:
No, but this is:
Pigma_Dengar_collage_5492.jpg
g

I 100% Mario 3D Land last week or so (5 glittering stars BITCHES!). :D
I need to start over and give this a try since the first time I screwed around and had the helper show up which I believe stops me from getting one of the stars.

IdeaMan, based on your post it seems you are saying they were not impressed with the UPDATE, rather than the unit overall.

I think most people are asking how do the devs feel about the system overall, not the upgrade in dev kits. I assume they feel the same (not impressed, but not disappointed) but thought I'd go for clarity :)

Redford

aka Cabbie
Yes, but which side is more vocal?

Judging by GAF sometimes, it seems negative Nintendo news makes people jizz themselves the most.

Every side wants to defend itself, not arguing against that.

I think the point is that some people go to unreasonable stretches to spin plainly shit decisions as jusitified, from a corporate point of view. It's armchair-analyst type rationalization, where we think we can predict and elaborate on their practices. Of course that's the point of this thread, but I think it's taken too far at times and it becomes waaaay too focused on what is good for Nintendo's finances and not what's good for gamers.

AGITΩ

Anyone want to predict what is going to happen to Nintendo stock after E3?

They're ADR is at 14.60 right now.

If they fully announce eShop apps for smartphone and tablets in which you can buy games, browse trailers and stuff like that while being synced to your NiN ID and then using remote download to your Console and 3DS, obviously not downloading and playing on your phone. I expect a decent rise. But thats all investors care about, they dont care about games, they care about accessibility with their phones.

Nice = not 1x Xbox 360, not 1,5x Xbox360, not 5x either. At least 2x from the simple fact that, again, for this specific context (third-parties, ports, before the mass production dev kits arrival, 3 sdk revisions previous the current ones, before a lot of optimizations in several areas, intensive use of the padlet, etc.), they managed to run a nice looking current gen HD game++ (++ = smoother framerate, better IQ, expectation of a few effects not present on ps360 version) on the TV (so let's say 1,2/1,3/1,4x Xbox360) + another view of the main scene at 480p on the padlet (0,3/0,4/0,5x Xbox360 considering the resolution + as blu and other explained, it's quite demanding to render this kind of thing from the same hardware). And it can only get better from this observation/status relevant 3 months ago.

I think people are generally catching your gist. I'd like to add on top that the Garden Demo is still the best qualification* for determining a minimum speculative range for the performance level for the Wii U, and the logic is pretty much along the lines of what you say above.

* assuming that the interactivity means that it was rendered in real time and that Nintendo didn't somehow magically cheat the crap out of it, and assuming that the addition of game mechanics wouldn't dramatically and negatively affect the visual quality

Jvm gave a 125k guess, and John Harker said that he was close, so 120k-130k. Abysmal.

Firstly 125k isn't barely above its pretty noticeably above, secondly that was just a GUESS from jvm and there was nothing in john harkers comment saying the 3ds guess specifically was good just that overall they were good guesses

Stop talking silly please

Oddduck

I'm looking at Jim Reilly's twitter.

"THQ has looking to have next-gen games at or near launch of the new consoles."

"Darksiders 2 likely coming mid-August."

"Darksiders 2 pre-orders five times higher than the first game at the same time period."

daakusedo

What the thread is facing now is totally understandable.
Skipping on "the graphics are not important" moralist comments will be appreciated.
Because style, art direction is important and have to be fused with the technical aspect more. And being so antagonized, it lead to some mind boggling comments like how a game is technically beautiful but with bad or uninteresting art.
Technically beautiful, how interesting...

Since the first thread, it's what we want to know, what can do the wiiu powerwise, with the ghost of 3rd party bad support on nintendo home consoles .
And like I said all the reassuring comments through the year just means nothing when a single bad news bring back the doubts. And that's obvious, it's just talk and not for people having saw something directly.

That will be incoherent to back-pedalling when we're already not waiting for something nuclear.

I agree as well. It's as if a certain group of gamers have an image they feel the need to protect.

To them: Nintendo's inferior, avoid.
Sony/MS, "hardcore", for "true gamers".

Allow me to give a personal example. I've been gaming for a long time, and perhaps I'm not hardcore enough still, but I have more than enough games to play for probably the next 10 years. I probably spend way too much time on this forum, but I try to maintain a real life as well. There's just too many good games out there to play them all! When it comes to console choices, it's always been about specific games for me. I bought a 360 for Bioshock and Fallout3 and I bought a PS3 for Final Fantasy XIII and MGS4.

Nintendo should be well aware that it takes specific games to lure in buyers. This is why it is troublesome that while, yes, some 3rd party support has been announced and is expected, there are several key titles missing. Bioshock Infinite, Resident Evil 6, Crysis 3: For alot of gamers, these are must-plays. That's a problem over sheer quantity (and we'll see about Rockstar). At the same time, you can't blame the devs. As good as those games will likely sell, they aren't putting up Call of Duty numbers. Thus, it should come as no surprise that that CoD seems to be the only AAA multiplatform title coming to Wii U from that elite group of developers.

KageMaru

first of all, I don't think you understand the rules of stone cold. It's THE BOTTOM LINE.

Secondly, because, the power gap won't be as large. There won't be something like HD vs NON HD. It was understandable why some developers didn't want to port for the wii, but it shouldn't be too hard to downport a lot of games for the wiiU.

The very fact that it will be HD stops it from being a repeat of last gen. It just can't happen. Now I'm not saying all 3rd parties will support it, that's gonna take some work on Nintendo's side, but it wont be like this go-round was.

Yeah I mostly agree, it'll mostly come down to the software sales and if they justify the additional investment.

I never said you were bashing it. Just that the pessimism has hit an all time high in this thread (including the post I responded to). I simply stated that it's a machine that, for all intents and purposes, is 2-3x this gen *on paper* as far as we know. (i.e. better OoO CPU, 2-3x GPU, 3xEDRam/Cache, 3xram, etc) crammed into a pretty small box.

Even with tablet usage, you should be able to expect a cleaner 720p image. Less SubHD, screen tearing, and all the stuff that's found its way into current gen HD titles.

In regards to MS and Sony, however - I think next gen will be more about software/services/user interaction than it will be power. There is no doubt that they will launch with more powerful hardware by at least 5x current gen, and I think Microsoft may even succumb to Epic's requests in some fashion and become the Xbox OG of next gen... but consoles were never about being bleeding edge until MS and Sony went batshit this generation. PCs have always been the home of those who wanted bleeding edge.

Ok cool, as long as it's clear I wasn't bashing the system. I'll admit I'm pessimistic with the Wii-U, but I'm the same with the 720 and PS4 when people are hoping for 6GB monster machines with 12 core CPUs, etc. I think it's better to keep expectations realistic or low and be surprised than to build up this hype machine in your head just to be disappointed.

I don't necessarily agree about the bleeding edge comment. The PS1, DC, PS2, xbox, and now PS360 have all produced exceptional and significantly better looking games at launch. PCs usually beat them out in regards to more memory, but the consoles also held their own set of advantages. I agree though that we won't see that again next gen, no matter how large the leap may be.

The hardware is perfectly capable of receiving ports. The same way that top tier high-spec PC titles were ported to the aging consoles we have now (Crysis, Witcher 2, BF3, etc) the Wii U will be able to receive ports from next gen higher-spec consoles. However the onus is not on the hardware this time around, like for Wii. The onus is on publishers/developers. And I would start tempering your expectations a little more when it comes to those guys.

Please don't tell me you're part of that cult who believes the conspiracy theory that the industry has something against Nintendo? If the sales support the investment, the Wii-U will have it's 3rd party support IMO.

Didn't we already sorta do that this gen? Those guys are what Nintendo needs to work with right now.

There are major major differences between last gen with the Wii vs PS360 and next gen with the Wii-U vs PS4/720 in regards to 3rd party support and porting.

I just hope Big N dont let in game purchases in like iOS games

its like the next level to locking stuff as dlc but this time they not going to hide it and put it on everything but the basic's 3rd partys not big N

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
IdeaMan, based on your post it seems you are saying they were not impressed with the UPDATE, rather than the unit overall.

I think most people are asking how do the devs feel about the system overall, not the upgrade in dev kits. I assume they feel the same (not impressed, but not disappointed) but thought I'd go for clarity :)

Yeah i explicitly said that, it was their impression about the increase of performance bring by the mass production dev kits. They are like "ok", for the hardware capabilities part.

About their overall feeling, it hasn't much changed then since the one they expressed for the V4, it's a solid piece of hardware, but not to the point to wow them, clearly. Otherwise, they are SUPER enthusiasts in regard to innovative gameplay/gamedesign that they will/are currently building thanks to the Wii U setting (asymmetrical screen, control schemes, etc.).

I'll re-quote one of my very first post in concerning my sources impressions, in the thread 2:

This is one of the more relevant question to ask me, when i talk about "experience", "feelings".

To be perfectly honest, it was not on the "amagad the Matsushita M2 will blow away the N64 !!!! look at this car demo !" level. It was not the typical feverish and a bit delirious kind of state that we all knew when reading leaks about the power of a new console back in the 90's for example. Of course, my sources are mature adults so it must explain a part of this more reasonable level of enthusiasm.

Still, they appeared very interested by the hardware possibilities. It was not a disillusion. More a "we are busy trying to figure/optimize ways to use well the features of the Wii U". I had also the strong impression that A LOT (maybe more than in other consoles in the same time frame before their launch) is still in flux, and could be optimized. The fact that there is at least one additional display bring a lot of variables, of stretch, when estimating the guts of the hardware. It would be easier to gauge it with a game rendered in just one screen, like "ok, the resolution, the fps, the poly count, the new effects, etc, are clearly a leap ahead on this screen displaying the Wii U version than on this Xbox 360 screen". But if you calculate a second scene displayed at the same time on the tablet with a noticeable resolution, it's pretty different.

3 months later, with the newest dev kits, 3 new SDK revisions, further optimizations, their "appreciation bar of the Wii U capabilities" progressed further, for the better obviously because of every changes i reported. They are still not impressed, to be more precise, what they are playing with isn't what they envisioned, they fantasized, they dreamed, of what a real generational step after the current gen HD would be, but they are clearly not delusional about it either as they would if it was just a beefier Xbox 360. And further addition, the state of the PS420 is still rather vague for them, so it's not sure how the Wii U will position itself, as a Dreamcast stop-gap between Xbox 360 and next next gen ? The PS2- to PS2+ (compare to GC and Xbox) of the upcoming gen ?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The last 2 did well, particularity SF4 which is over 1.1m WW. RE:R did well in Japan but disappointed in NA. Although RE:R may have a good tail considering it is now part of Nintendo's 3DS commercials for NA.

Absolutely, however I wouldn't have expected much from them at launch outside of a fighting game. You are a right though, this doesn't necessarily mean they wont have something for launch.

I think SF4 did well due to the fact that there wasn't exactly many 3DS titles to choose from at launch. I'm not into fighting games at all, but I still bought SF4 for that reason.

My prediction was in the form of buying more NTDOY a few weeks back.

I'm still mulling that. Even if Wii U doesn't rise to the heavens, a "decent" and generally profitable generation would probably be an upward surprise by stockholders at this point, considering what is expected from analysts with all the hubbub about mobile devices, and considering that they're around GameCube year levels of investor performance.

I found out how to log into my stock market website thing, so it seems to be an option if I decide to roll with it.

3 months later, with the newest dev kits, 3 new SDK revisions, further optimizations, their "appreciation bar of the Wii U capabilities" progressed further, for the better obviously because of every changes i reported. They are still not impressed, to be more precise, what they are playing with isn't what they envisioned, they fantasized, they dreamed, of what a real generational step after the current gen HD would be, but they are clearly not delusional about it either as they would if it was just a beefier Xbox 360. And further addition, the state of the PS420 is still rather vague for them, so it's not sure how the Wii U will position itself, as a Dreamcast stop-gap between Xbox 360 and next next gen ? The PS2- to PS2+ (compare to GC and Xbox) of the upcoming gen ?

Now there's a massive market just waiting to be tapped.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
It's barely above 100k. There's no way to spin that as good.

By the way, it's 2.5 million behind the GBA at the same point in the US. Also behind PSP I think.
No, it's well above the PSP. In fact, you are banned from all sales discussion because you really really suck at it. You get a small nugget of information and twist it without any sort of context or concern for accuracy. You might as well start posting those other sales numbers.

BurntPork

Banned
No, it's well above the PSP. In fact, you are banned from all sales discussion because you really really suck at it. You get a small nugget of information and twist it without any sort of context or concern for accuracy. You might as well start posting those other sales numbers.

Behind PSP launch-aligned in the US, I mean. Sorry, I thought that was obvious.

shipmentcompare.php

Perhaps that helps a bit?

edit: Ah, US comparisons would probably be more shifted towards PSP. However, I would like to see software shipment numbers for 3DS vs PSP, as that was a particular point of difficulty with the latter in the early days (many people seemed to buy it as a trendy mp3 player instead of a game machine, I've been told).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom