• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hardware is perfectly capable of receiving ports. The same way that top tier high-spec PC titles were ported to the aging consoles we have now (Crysis, Witcher 2, BF3, etc) the Wii U will be able to receive ports from next gen higher-spec consoles. However the onus is not on the hardware this time around, like for Wii. The onus is on publishers/developers. And I would start tempering your expectations a little more when it comes to those guys.

Hmm... can you elaborate a bit more on the basis for that? Not that most of us can't guess. :/

Redford

aka Cabbie
why focus development on graphics instead of gameplay?

focus on both or gameplay only, Whats the point of only focusing on the graphics?

Unless we are talking about utterly shit gameplay, most of the time for better or worse a game can be carried on it's graphics, depending on its genre conventions. Best example would obviously be the FPS.

Graphics are a quantifiable measure of value. Gameplay is largely subjective alot of the time.

johnnycab.jpeg

GAH! Don't DO that!

sfried

The hardware is perfectly capable of receiving ports. The same way that top tier high-spec PC titles were ported to the aging consoles we have now (Crysis, Witcher 2, BF3, etc) the Wii U will be able to receive ports from next gen higher-spec consoles. However the onus is not on the hardware this time around, like for Wii. The onus is on publishers/developers. And I would start tempering your expectations a little more when it comes to those guys.
Didn't we already sorta do that this gen? Those guys are what Nintendo needs to work with right now.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Just give me graphics nice enough so people won't make fun of it. (Depends on what exactly people wouldn't laugh at.) With the possibility for it to have Durango/Orbit ports and I'll be very very happy.

That and HD Collections. And the usual gorgeous Nintendo games. And make the Nintendo Network not suck.

Where did i say that the hd twins didn't get gameplay right?

I just said that if you have awesome graphics on whatever system/pc what is it worth when the gameplay sucks?

That was meant in general and wasn't directly related to the hd twins!

Except eye sore visuals make it difficult to focus on the gameplay for many of us.

StevieP

Banned
Hmm... can you elaborate a bit more on the basis for that? Not that most of us can't guess. :/

Let me ask you this: why are EA sports titles being outsourced like for Wii? Why is RE6 not receiving a Wii U port? Why is AC3 Wii being outsourced to a different Ubisoft studio?

Or, let me make it easier:
Crysis 3 is a current gen title, right? It's made with PS360 spec in mind (i.e. shit). There was an interview with Crytek Frankfurt where they said "Wii U? Meh." (and EA is likely the one that would make that call before Crytek would)

Why is that?

(and yes, the correct answer for many of these is: devs are already stretched, not enough time with the kits before their game has to go gold, not enough userbase to justify spending the thousands to port to new hardware, etc etc - but why do those excuses even exist in the first place? The "PS360PC" thing is common for current releases and even many launch titles)

BlackJace

Just give me graphics nice enough so people won't make fun of it. (Depends on what exactly people wouldn't laugh at.) With the possibility for it to have Durango/Orbit ports and I'll be very very happy.

That and HD Collections. And the usual gorgeous Nintendo games. And make the Nintendo Network not suck.

I agree. I don't want to be labeled as someone playing on the "loser" team next gen.

The Wii gave us great games, yet it will always be remembered as an underpowered gimmick box.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm perfectly fine with this as long as there are Durango/PS4 ports. I don't want a Wii 2.0 where Nintendo gets screwed over in terms of Third Party support again and the Wii U sales collapse after a few years.

To be fair, Wii sales wouldn't have collapsed had Nintendo themselves not almost completely abandoned it.

Oddduck

why focus development on graphics instead of gameplay?

focus on both or gameplay only, Whats the point of only focusing on the graphics?

EDIT: Of course always depending on what the HW is capable of.

I didn't say focus on graphics.

I said consumers expect good gameplay. That's a requirement for people to buy any game.

If you sit down and play a Game Boy Advance game, you expect the game to be fun just like you expect a PS3 game to be fun. Gameplay is the core product. Your expectations for fun gameplay aren't much different for a GBA game than a PS3 game. All you know is you want "fun". Just like washing clothes is the core product for laundry detergent. It doesn't matter how detergent makes your clothes smell as long as it washes them.

But there's this idea that if you give a customer a little extra (better graphics) that it will distract from the core product features (good gameplay).

I don't buy that. Talented teams can juggle both gameplay and graphics.

I agree. I don't want to be labeled as someone playing on the "loser" team next gen.

The Wii gave us great games, yet it will always be remembered as an underpowered gimmick box.

Not by those who had it. Maybe some got in early with the preconception that more hardcore games would be on the way, but playing Wii Sports, NSMB, etc with friends has provided some of the most memorable moments of the generation. Not to mention the return to form that was Mario Galaxy. Xenoblade is shaping up to be my jRPG of the generation as well.

I think this internet subculture may perpetuate a certain paranoia amongst Nintendo gamers where our system is seen as inferior. Maybe to MS/Sony loyalists, but their tastes in games are obviously different and/or narrow. This last year or so has been tough on Wii gamers, but believe it or not, it did provide enough quality games over the course of its life for some people's schedules.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
To be fair, Wii sales wouldn't have collapsed had Nintendo themselves not almost completely abandoned it.

This is what everyone seems to miss.
The Wii sales collapsed when Nintendo started focussing on their next console.
For a console which didn't have much third-party support, this was the death knell.

I didn't say focus on graphics.

I said consumers expect good gameplay. That's a requirement for people to buy any game.

If you sit down and play a Game Boy Advance game, you expect the game to be fun just like you expect a PS3 game to be fun. Gameplay is the core product. Your expectations for fun gameplay aren't much different for a GBA game than a PS3 game. All you know is you want "fun". Just like washing clothes is the core product for laundry detergent. It doesn't matter how detergent makes your clothes smell as long as it washes them.

But there's this idea that if you give a customer a little extra (better graphics) that it will distract from the core product features (good gameplay).

I don't buy that. Talented teams can juggle both gameplay and graphics.

And "fun" dosen't need the most amazing graphics in the world. The Wii isn't capable of doing more than Galaxy1/2, Zelda SS. But the games make a-freaking-lot of fun! Thats why their successful and will always statisfy the "Ninthings" as we are called in this slightly "nintendo unfriendly" forum.

Let me ask you this: why are EA sports titles being outsourced like for Wii? Why is RE6 not receiving a Wii U port? Why is AC3 Wii being outsourced to a different Ubisoft studio?

Or, let me make it easier:
Crysis 3 is a current gen title, right? It's made with PS360 spec in mind (i.e. shit). There was an interview with Crytek Frankfurt where they said "Wii U? Meh." (and EA is likely the one that would make that call before Crytek would)

Why is that?

(and yes, the correct answer for many of these is: devs are already stretched, not enough time with the kits before their game has to go gold, not enough userbase to justify spending the thousands to port to new hardware, etc etc - but why do those excuses even exist in the first place? The "PS360PC" thing is common for current releases and even many launch titles)

Ah, so just stuff I already know of (though I'm still not entirely convinced re: RE6); I was wondering if you had insidery knowledge of specific multiplatform games not coming to Wii U. But yeah, there's definitely some cause for concern, though I don't think it matters much who's developing the Wii U versions of ACIII and FIFA, as long as they come out as close as possible to the other versions and the port quality is good.

Oddduck

This is what everyone seems to miss.
The Wii sales collapsed when Nintendo started focussing on their next console.
For a console which didn't have much third-party support, this was the death knell.

GameCube software and hardware sales collapsed when Nintendo started focusing on their next console.

Edit: Same with N64.

And "fun" dosen't need the most amazing graphics in the world. The Wii isn't capable of doing more than Galaxy1/2, Zelda SS. But the games make a-freaking-lot of fun! Thats why their successful and will always statisfy the "Ninthings" as we are called in this slightly "nintendo unfriendly" forum.

Fun doesn't need the most amazing graphics but even Skyward sword for many of us wouldn't quality for even 'good' graphics or 'acceptable'. For all the times people hate on Nintendo and their fans, Nintendo fans defend Nintendo at times when they shouldn't be defended. It goes both ways.

Fun doesn't need the most amazing graphics but even Skyward sword for many of us wouldn't quality for even 'good' graphics or 'acceptable'. For all the times people hate on Nintendo and their fans, Nintendo fans defend Nintendo at times when they shouldn't be defended. It goes both ways.

And "more powerful than ps360" should be more than enough for graphics ranging from "good" to "acceptable". So why the outcry about WiiU being too weak?

The Wii was underpowered due to the insane risk theys took with the controller. Could you imagine what a disaster it would have been if a "Wii with Xbox360 power" would have bombed? They could be third party now if they went that route. They made only 6 bucks(!) off a launch wii in 2006. So a 360 power Wii would have been insanely expensive.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

wat, Ben 10 is awesome !

It started when an alien device did what it did !
and stuck itself upon his wrist with secrets that it hid !
now he's got super powarz he's no ordinary kid !
he's BEN 10, BEN 10, BEN 10 [robot/alien voice]

i'm far, far away

Sorry if I start to sound like a broken record in bringing this up again, but I don't understand why it seems expected that going past 720p and/or having any worthwhile anti-aliasing should be so difficult. I've got a GTS 450. Not even the same GPU manufacturer, but it's a 2010 card that was not the top of the line or even second best of the line then. To mention the single spec that gets brought up the most, this looks to be about a 600 gigaflop card. Except in cases of games simply too old to have better options, I never play at anything near 720p with no AA.

I've put plenty of time in with PS360-level games like Assassin's Creed, Just Cause 2, and Final Fantasy XIV; and have had no problems keeping over 30 fps with mid-level AA from 1680x1050 to 1920x1080. It's only when I play in stereoscopic 3D at those high resolutions when I really have to start skimping on AA or other effects to keep things from getting too choppy.

And "more powerful than ps360" should be more than enough for graphics ranging from "good" to "acceptable". So why the outcry about WiiU being too weak?

The Wii was underpowered due to the insane risk theys took with the controller. Could you imagine what a disaster it would have been if a "Wii with Xbox360 power" would have bombed? They could be third party now if they went that route. They made only 6 bucks(!) off a launch wii in 2006. So a 360 power Wii would have been insanely expensive.

And for many of us that is what we wanted. I am not concerned with what Nintendo does financially as that isn't my focus nor my concern. It's their job to make money, it's not my responsibility to worry about them making money. The Wii was the biggest let down of a console I've ever purchased and a big part is due to the abysmal tech use limiting the graphical potential for the software.

And no, the 360/PS3 isn't good enough for next generation. The NES was amazing for the time it released but if every game was NES quality visuals now I'd have a difficult time with that. This idea of 'well, its good enough' is annoying. Call me a graphics whore if you want (though its not accurate) but I much prefer the Nintendo of old that pushed the boundaries of graphics.

BurntPork

Banned
AGITΩ;37903704 said:
Well when Nintendo gets into a "We're winning" mentality, like the Microsoft, they start pulling out the charts. Microsoft does this almost every conference now, Nintendo stopped doing it recently, but if they pull it off again, I think that still makes them score negative in gamers eyes. We want games, not sales figures. I'm setting expectations a little low this E3 simply because of the 3DS. I love my 3DS, we know its doing gangbusters in Japan, its doing good in the US but not as strong as they would like, but I fear this will cause the return of CHARTS this E3.

They haven't shown charts since E3 2008, and sales in the US for 3DS are horrible. April was around 125k. Trust me, there won't be charts. They keep those at investors meeting now.

we know. noone wanted to make a thread for it though :/

I did, but I was on on my phone.

BlackJace

Not by those who had it. Maybe some got in early with the preconception that more hardcore games would be on the way, but playing Wii Sports, NSMB, etc with friends has provided some of the most memorable moments of the generation. Not to mention the return to form that was Mario Galaxy. Xenoblade is shaping up to be my jRPG of the generation as well.

I think this internet subculture may perpetuate a certain paranoia amongst Nintendo gamers where our system is seen as inferior. Maybe to MS/Sony loyalists, but their tastes in games are obviously different and/or narrow. This last year or so has been tough on Wii gamers, but believe it or not, it did provide enough quality games over the course of its life for some people's schedules.

I agree as well. It's as if a certain group of gamers have an image they feel the need to protect.

To them: Nintendo's inferior, avoid.
Sony/MS, "hardcore", for "true gamers".

BY2K

Membero Americo
There. Won't. Be. Any. Charts.

There hasn't been since 2008, and it won't happen this year. 3DS sales in the US are nothing to brag about, and they have investor meetings for that.

Plus, it's only less time for the Wii U re-reveal if they do.

AGITΩ

But seriously, Wii U, what kind of name is that? Also, does anybody know what this is?

Call it the Ntertainment System. With the Mock tagline "Wii bring U the Ntertainment"

They haven't shown charts since E3 2008, and sales in the US for 3DS are horrible. April was around 125k. Trust men there won't be charts.
I wouldn't say horrible, since its outperforming the DS almost every point of the life span. 3DS sales might hit a dip come the Pricedrop of the XL and DSi on Sunday for all retailers though, and given how there is still consumer confusion regarding the branding (I run into these weekly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom