• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, what's stopping Nintendo from doing Galaxy 3?

Those games sell decently enough, and they could really show off the graphics well for a Mario game.

With them continuing certain Mario series, I don't see why this one can't be continued even further.

I LOVE the Galaxy games, 2 is my game of the generation and 1 gave me a feeling I have only had a handful of times with games ever. That being said, I do not want Galaxy 3, I want them to take the game somewhere else and do something completely different. We got two (arguably 3 if you figure the influence on 3D Land) fantastic, all-time great games from that structure and now I want them to use their talent and creativity to blow our minds again. A Galaxy 3 could, and would most likely, be another fabulous experience but probably couldn't blow us away outside of graphically. Something different has a high likelihood of blowing us away on all fronts.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
With regards to that "green and white" tease earlier. What about the GTAV logo?

He wasn't talking about a game, but rather the Wii U brand name. Someone asked if a change could still happen and he replied 'not likely based on what I saw.'

peter

Banned
compare.png

What do you think? Is it fair?

I think it's not really fair because we didn't see any ingame action from unreal 4 engine.

On the other hand if we compare it, i think the wiiu will just do fine for the next 3/4years in gfx, what do you think?

Izick

compare.png

What do you think? Is it fair?

I think it's not really fair because we didn't see any ingame action from unreal 4 engine.

On the other hand if we compare it, i think the wiiu will just do fine for the next 3/4years in gfx, what do you think?

I always suggest to upload pics to imgur first.

EDIT: Original appears to work now, but I'll keep this just in case.

what's with that UE4 image anyway really?

---
but to answer your question, I think it is obvious Wii U won't handle UE4.

Maybe all the images they show look like shit, but the one below is definitely not anything I have seen on any game till now:

ue4_03pyifknvipn.jpeg

Olaeh

While I loved both Galaxy games, I would like to see something new.

'Something new" will likely carry the NSMB artstyle :/
I'd like Super Mario Universe (Galaxy 3), but I have a feeling it's New Super Mario Bros Mii and a 3D-2D bridge game in the same style and setting. Keeping expectations low here.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Put it like this. If you saw that UE4 screenshot, and they said it was from an upcoming PS3 game, would anybody say "No way. The graphics are too good for that."?

I really don't think so.

Add in the fact that the UE4 images were designed to blow people away - to make Microsoft and Sony commit millions to upgrade their specs - and that real game performance probably won't match it - and they're really not that special.

Linkhero1

'Something new" will likely carry the NSMB artstyle :/
I'd like Super Mario Universe (Galaxy 3), but I have a feeling it's New Super Mario Bros Mii and a 3D-2D bridge game in the same style and setting. Keeping expectations low here.

If it's anything like with the Wii, NSMB Mii and the next 3D Mario game will be two different games. Why do you think they would do such a thing? They tend to go all out with their 3D Mario games, so reusing art and assets from a shitty sidescroller won't do them much good.

Put it like this. If you saw that UE4 screenshot, and they said it was from an upcoming PS3 game, would anybody say "No way. The graphics are too good for that."?

I really don't think so.

Add in the fact that the UE4 images were designed to blow people away - to make Microsoft and Sony commit millions to upgrade their specs - and that real game performance probably won't match it - and they're really not that special.

I agree with all that but it could be the terrible use of art and forced effects to represent the engine.

They should have let Retro make the demo.

I am not sure if it will be a nice situation UE4 not being available on Wii U; unless somehow UE4 is not available on at least one other platform.

The bottom line is:

Does the Wii U need to be able to run the UE4 engine???

Not at all.

Would it be helpful for worldwide system domination???

Possibly.

It's be nice to have a feature set that could expand the gaming library but it's not essential.

Nintendo drives Nintendo's business and has for years now.

I am not sure if it will be a nice situation UE4 not being available on Wii U; unless somehow UE4 is not available on at least one other platform.

That's not going to happen. Epic will have no choice but to make whatever compromises (if any) they need to get UE4 running on at least the less powerful of Sony and MS' next consoles - more likely Sony's - if perhaps not Wii U, since very few developers will be willing to buy an expensive license for an engine that will only run on one console.

Also, UE4 looks like Infinity Blade. Not on a technical level, obviously, but the art direction is pretty similar.

I really don't think so.

I think that's more to do with what the average gamer knows about things like lighting and tech in general. Like those UE4 shots have insanely complex geometries, and every particle is individually rendered and what not. However, the end result of all these effects is something that doesn't look it couldn't be done on current gen hardware. I know it can't but it doesn't look like it can't at first glance. Certainly not as apparent as ps2 to ps3.

The bottom line is:

Not at all.

Possibly.

It's be nice to have a feature set that could expand the gaming library but it's not essential.

If that's what most third-party developers flock to in two years then yes it does. Unless you like having your third party support fall of into oblivion.

peter

Banned
it's nice, that it can do more next gen effect, the wiiu have some next gen effect so far we know. On other hand, it still doesn't blow me away.
It maybe can change when i see the trailer next week. At this moment the best unreal trailer for me was that from unreal 3 engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5XahF-3DWo

It's still the best looking trailer for me. The wiiu can do that and the garden demo. It's still far better than those screens from unreal4 engine (with the naked eye)

Linkhero1

GamePlayWhore - summary from #12151 please? This thread is insane =\ lol

Here you go. :)

The bottom line is:

Not at all.

Possibly.

It should be able to if that's what devs are going to use once 720/PS4 roll out.

If that's what most third-party developers flock to in two years then yes it does. Unless you like having your third party support fall of into oblivion.

It doesn't for Nintendo's sake.

Mario Kart Wii U alone will get more sales than every third party games' sales combined regardless of the engine they are running.

Wait what? You're joking right?

Nope. When the UE4 GDC demo was reveal BurntPork questioned whether BlackNMild's post about nintendo tweaking the WiiU to run UE4 was either something he made up or something that his source made up. I'm curious to see if BlackNMild could provide clarity on the matter.

Linkhero1

Mario Kart Wii U alone will get more sales than every third party games' sales combined regardless of the engine they are running.

If Nintendo is really trying to recapture the core audience then it's not the way to go about doing so. They're going to have to get the UE4 engine working at least bare minimum on the Wii U so they can receive downports later on.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
It would be cool if we had a website that certain, trusted members could log in to to constantly update a webpage full of rumors / what was talked about.

orioto

Good Art™
I think that's more to do with what the average gamer knows about things like lighting and tech in general. Like those UE4 shots have insanely complex geometries, and every particle is individually rendered and what not. However, the end result of all these effects is something that doesn't look it couldn't be done on current gen hardware. I know it can't but it doesn't look like it can't at first glance. Certainly not as apparent as ps2 to ps3.

In the dedicated thread they were talking about how everything in it was dynamic when it had to be prebaked currently. That's ok, but i wonder if the level of good trickery of this past gen (normal mapping, prebaked light etc..) won't make the "real thing" unimpressive for people. Typically, this demon guy's helmet is probably done with thousands of polys, but for me it looks like it could be an average poly model with normal mapping as we're used to it right now...

Nope. When the UE4 GDC demo was reveal BurntPork questioned whether BlackNMild's post about nintendo tweaking the WiiU to run UE4 was either something he made up or something that his source made up. I'm curious to see if BlackNMild could provide clarity on the matter.

Anyone can question anyone.

It's usually out of temper tantrum bitterness that someone might know something that the other person wants desperately to know.

It's like putting pressure on IdeaMan, it's silly.

E3 will make all of these people forgotten as there will be no speculation anymore(on most things).

That's not going to happen. Epic will have no choice but to make whatever compromises (if any) they need to get UE4 running on at least the less powerful of Sony and MS' next consoles - more likely Sony's - if perhaps not Wii U, since very few developers will be willing to buy an expensive license for an engine that will only run on one console.
Yes, but if both MS and Sony decide to do a gen leap like the last one? (though honestly, at least I don't see Sony doing the same, unless they don't release the console in two years or so while the costs go down)

Also, UE4 looks like Infinity Blade. Not on a technical level, obviously, but the art direction is pretty similar.
yes, but Mirror's Edge is also made by UE:

gZDRc.jpg

---

I edit my posts, it refers the image above my post, which looks aweful for some reason

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
So, what do you think will be the term that the Gaming media will use to make fun of Nintendo next gen?

They can't use waggle anymore.

If Nintendo is really trying to recapture the core audience then it's not the way to go about doing so. They're going to have to get the UE4 engine working at least bare minimum on the Wii U so they can receive downports later on.

Sure, all that is fine and dandy but I wouldn't be bending over if I was Nintendo for third partys that have turned their nose at the company for ages.

Who is to say that if the scenario you presented happens, that third partys would actually downport games in the first place and even if so, who is to say they will sell really well???

I'm all for the GPU or whatever to have features to expand possible genres and developer games but to say the Wii U would live or die based on UE3 is preposterous to me.

I know you didn't put it that way but some think Nintendo will go third party if the system doesn't support UE3.

Linkhero1

So, what do you think will be the term that the Gaming media will use to make fun of Nintendo next gen?

They can't use waggle anymore.

"weak"

Sure, all that is fine and dandy but I wouldn't be bending over if I was Nintendo for third partys that have turned their nose at the company for ages.

Who is to say that if the scenario you presented happens, that third partys would actually downport games in the first place and even if so, who is to say they will sell really well???

I'm all for the GPU or whatever to have features to expand posible genres and developer games but to say the Wii U would live or die based on UE3 is preposterous to me.

I know you didn't put it that way but some think Nintendo will go third party if the system doesn't support UE3.

I don't think it will be considered bending over for third parties if Nintendo gets the latest engines running on their system. Look where bending over got them with the 3DS. If anything Nintendo will be doing the same thing they've always been doing, which is releasing quality content. And you're right, it's not guaranteed they'll be getting all games, but if it's anything comparable to what the GC was then I don't mind at all. I'd rather not have another Wii situation where we didn't get anything and I was "forced" (not really forced but you know what I mean) to buy another console to enjoy some good multiplatform games. I don't think Nintendo will go third party any time soon, just that they need to get multiplatforms on their system, so they aren't missing out again.

Yes, but if both MS and Sony decide to do a gen leap like the last one? (though honestly, at least I don't see Sony doing the same, unless they don't release the console in two years or so while the costs go down)

Then there shouldn't be too much issue with either of them running UE4, whereas Wii U would still be up in the air. Pretty straightforward.

Didn't know you had stake in nintendo. You prove my point again. Nintendo already has you. You're a die-hard nintendo gamer. They are not concerned about you. You bought the GCN and you bought the Wii. Nintendo wants the gamers that they forsook for the casual gold this gen, the same casuals that overnight just got up and left. For core gamers to flock back to the WiiU they need what games the 360/PS3 will be getting and when the time comes, the same games that the ps4.720 will be getting in order to sustain them. If third parties side with UE4 you bet your sweet as ninty needs to cover this base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom