• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

Well, I'm thinking of those scrafs with stringy yarn at the end. For example...

413153873b.jpeg

cute-scarf.jpg

------

Also, I think that "button" below the cross-stick is not a button at all but rather a painted on symbol, temporary, of where the NFC happens.

carlos

You're comparing an expensive add on to a brand new console man...

I'm talking mainly about profits/the economics of the whole launch; sure Udraw was expensive, but how much of a hit could nintendo's war chest take due to R&D, Manufacturing, distribution, etc.

Just saying, the economy is definitely in worse shape than in previous console launches, and every survey I've seen so far doesn't have the WiiU as a must have item this hoiday. (I know, I know, too little has been revealed to date).

NeoRausch

Don't know if it's already been said, but I think one of the "misterious square buttons" is actually the vitality sensor. Put your thumb over it and ta-da! Heart rate measured.

And ta-da you can't use the right stick, face buttons or start/select.

I'm talking mainly about profits/the economics of the whole launch; sure Udraw was expensive, but how much of a hit could nintendo's war chest take due to R&D, Manufacturing, distribution, etc.

Just saying, the economy is definitely in worse shape than in previous console launches, and every survey I've seen so far doesn't have the WiiU as a must have item this hoiday. (I know, I know, too little has been revealed to date).

Nintendo has like 10 billion in the bank. They'll be fine. They aren't operating on a razor thin margin like Sony and MS.
Their franchises are bigger than they've ever been.
They have brand new marketing and a whole new focus.

There is no comparison to UDraw in any way, what so ever.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I hope the guy isn't fired.

Just make him sleep for the rest of the month surrounded by lifesize Waluigi plushies.

The apparent re-design isn't ground-breaking in itself, if the DRC was suddenly black with a totally different shape, material, apparent new earth-shattering features, then it would be another matter. It's fortunate for us to be able to see this picture, but i think it would have been better for him and for us (for the surprise factor) to just describe some elements of the things. My two cents.

and thanks for taking my defense :)

test_account

XP-39C²
They aren't operating on a razor thin margin like Sony and MS.
After seeing what happened with 3DS (which is now selling with a loss), i wonder how Nintendo will do it with the WiiU. If they will try to price it with a high profit first, then drop the price if the WiiU ends up selling much lower than their expectations. Or if they will just price it low to begin with.

If it was changed because of developers, I find it really weird that Nintendo didn't realize themselves some of the issues with the one we saw at E3.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Nintendo has like 10 billion in the bank. They'll be fine. They aren't operating on a razor thin margin like Sony and MS.
Their franchises are bigger than they've ever been.
They have brand new marketing and a whole new focus.

There is no comparison to UDraw in any way, what so ever.

Also, UDraw did very well on Wii.
It's when they tried to replicate the success on the other consoles that they ran into problems.

After seeing what happened with 3DS (which is now selling with a loss), i wonder how Nintendo will do it with the WiiU. If they will try to price it with a high profit first, then drop the price if the WiiU ends up selling much lower than their expectations. Or if they will just price it low to begin with.

I'll say what I've been saying since day one.
It's very likely they'll sell it at cost (IE: What it costs to make and ship the unit), and profit off of software sales from day one.

If it was changed because of developers, I find it really weird that Nintendo didn't realize themselves some of the issues with the one we saw at E3.

Nintendo likes to operate in their own universe, which is part of the reason we like their games.
For this type of stuff, it's always better to have lots of input from people you work with that aren't in your company.

Probably had something to do with the genre of games being developed. An optimal FPS lay-out is different from an optimal platformer lay-out, etc. Hopefully this is a nice middle ground.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
What I wonder, ideaman, why didn't you say anything when I posted sketches of the revised controller?

I've kept the biggest cartridges for the end (before E3), and the patent of the updated controller was post a long time ago.

Besides, as you have seen, there are differences (apparently small) between it and the picture leaked.

Nintendo likes to operate in their own universe, which is part of the reason we like their games.
For this type of stuff, it's always better to have lots of input from people you work with that aren't in your company.
It's true, they live in a bubble, for better or for worse. Usually better at least.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
startselect.jpg

I've enhanced the image slightly.

See + is the START button
- is the SELECT button.

They're dual purpose.

NeoGohan

Banned
Typical Nintendo, worry more about hardware and looking cool then to worry about graphics, HD resolutions and games for hardcore gamers. Nintendo will never be a console for the real gamers because they've made it clear year in year out at E3 that they cater to children by solely making Japanese anime style games and poke man type crap that appeal to snot nosed brats.

lol IGN users

Shiggy

I've kept the biggest cartridges for the end (before E3), and the patent of the updated controller was post a long time ago.

Besides, has you have seen, there are differences (apparently small) between it and the picture leaked.

Yes, I noticed a few minor differences such as the square beneath the dpad. Do you actually know whether the Wii U pad allows other devices, e.g. a pulse oxymeter, to build up a connection to it via bluetooth?

Who knew analog sticks would get me so excited about a product. I was afraid I was gonna have to go through 5-6+ years of sliders on a Nintendo console.

Thank you, based Iwata

Nilaul

Theres a slot on the top of the controller (where that green and white thing is attached), and a slot at the bottem. I think I see a mini usb thing next to the bottem slot

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Yes, I noticed a few minor differences such as the square beneath the dpad. Do you actually know whether the Wii U pad allows other devices, e.g. a pulse oxymeter, to build up a connection to it via bluetooth?

I don't know if there is a built-in vitality-sensor, or if Nintendo planned an attached device allowing this function.

What i'm nearly sure is that third-parties weren't aware of an additional feature like that on the DRC until late april and even beginning of may. It doesn't exclude the possibility that the updated padlet will indeed include a secret thing that we ignored until its reveal though :)

Theres a slot on the top of the controller (where that green and white thing is attached), and a slot at the bottem. I think I see a mini sub thing next to the bottem slot

On the bottom is an HDMI port (for tethered connection) and two slots for connection add ons.

Terrell

I'm not going to do this between two threads, but I'll just say this:

You really think Nintendo is listening to forums for what they should do? Really?
Nintendo?

They're listening for user perception of the system. Marketing firms often collect product announcement feedback for electronics manufacturers to ensure the product they demonstrated strikes a chord with users in the demographics targeted, and Nintendo wants to target the core gamer this time, so our feedback was obviously collected.

Example: the PS3 batarang. Had all the same functionality of a Dual Shock. Changed due to public perception of the shape of it.

To make the statement that it never happens or that Nintendo is some sort of magical exception is foolhardy.

They're listening for user perception of the system. Marketing firms often collect product announcement feedback for electronics manufacturers to ensure the product they demonstrated strikes a chord with users.

Example: the PS3 batarang. Had all the same functionality of a Dual Shock. Changed due to public perception of the shape of it.

To make the statement that it never happens or that Nintendo is some sort of magical exception is foolhardy.

The day Nintendo ever listens to forum users is the day I leave gaming. I'm sorry, but it's crazy. We'd have grim dark Mario games akin to MGS4 if that was true.

test_account

XP-39C²
The day Nintendo ever listens to forum users is the day I leave gaming. I'm sorry, but it's crazy. We'd have grim dark Mario games akin to MGS4 if that was true.
They only do changes if they agree with what they hear. If they have strong believe in something, then they wont change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom