• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Pad

Reverse psychology, nice. I like it.

antonz

Funny thing is I dont know if we will see Angry Birds on a Nintendo platform. I think they may have shit on Nintendo too much. Angry Birds was announced for 3DS etc and it never surfaced when it had been given a launch frame. Was supposed to be a compilation of several angry birds titles.

dwu8991

Banned
Is it too hard too ask for Nintendo to bring out a singing game like Singstar and Lips ???
Preferably more like Singstar.

omg this thread is dying faster than the wii !
hehe:p

lets do a Retro studios guessing contenst ,,,,

first we need all Nintendo IPs that has been buried in the past (cuz I honestly believe Retro's only job is to "revive" franchise ,, then we make a list of whats possible to be made and whats not possible, I think we will probably have a general idea of what they are bringing to the table.

From Wiki
Animal Crossing
Brain Age (series)
Custom Robo
Donkey Kong
EarthBound (series)
F-Zero
Famicom wars
Fire Emblem
Game & Watch
Golden Sun (series)
Kirby (series)
The Legend of Zelda
The Legendary Starfy (series)
List of Yoshi video games
Mario (franchise)
Mario Kart
Mario Party
Metroid
Pikmin (series)
Pokémon (video game series)
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
Punch-Out!!
Puzzle League (series)
Sin and Punishment
Star Fox (series)
Super Smash Bros. (series)
Touch! Generations
Wario (franchise)
Yoshi

now there are some rare IPs like Chibi robo, Star Tropics and Geist but Im not sure if thats all, probably needs someone to dig deeeeep into nintendo past titles.

My guess is

something unexpected that will be transferred in a different setting (like Metroid going into FPA in GCN era) and would go with: Advance Wars !!

now I really cant think what Retro would do to that but a MMO Tactical FPS would be CRAZY with that game !!!

ur turn ^_^

sinxtanx

I think he meant it's been quiet for an hour. In this thread if there isn't at least 100+ posts every hour everyone starts freaking out.

Yeah, an hour and a half of no posts is like...I don't know. Scary.

Ninja scary.

I wonder what Nintendo's E3 booth will look like. Open space like last year, or fortress with armed guards patrolling the walls?

TriGen

omg this thread is dying faster than the wii !
hehe:p

lets do a Retro studios guessing contenst ,,,,

first we need all Nintendo IPs that has been buried in the past (cuz I honestly believe Retro's only job is to "revive" franchise ,, then we make a list of whats possible to be made and whats not possible, I think we will probably have a general idea of what they are bringing to the table.

From Wiki
Animal Crossing
Brain Age (series)
Custom Robo
Donkey Kong
EarthBound (series)
F-Zero
Famicom wars
Fire Emblem
Game & Watch
Golden Sun (series)
Kirby (series)
The Legend of Zelda
The Legendary Starfy (series)
List of Yoshi video games
Mario (franchise)
Mario Kart
Mario Party
Metroid
Pikmin (series)
Pokémon (video game series)
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
Punch-Out!!
Puzzle League (series)
Sin and Punishment
Star Fox (series)
Super Smash Bros. (series)
Touch! Generations
Wario (franchise)
Yoshi

now there are some rare IPs like Chibi robo, Star Tropics and Geist but Im not sure if thats all, probably needs someone to dig deeeeep into nintendo past titles.

My guess is

something unexpected that will be transferred in a different setting (like Metroid going into FPA in GCN era) and would go with: Advance Wars !!

now I really cant think what Retro would do to that but a MMO Tactical FPS would be CRAZY with that game !!!

ur turn ^_^

If we go just by that list it's hard to think of anything, I'm not sure I would pick any of those out of the blue. If I was picking from there however I would say, Start Tropics, then Yoshi, and third would be a Star Fox game, but not on-rails like 64, I think they would do their own thing with the franchise.

If we go just by that list it's hard to think of anything, I'm not sure I would pick any of those out of the blue. If I was picking from there however I would say, Start Tropics, then Yoshi, and third would be a Star Fox game, but not on-rails like 64, I think they would do their own thing with the franchise.

well everything I will guess have to be out of the blue cuz we dont have anything other than "Retro Studios working on a games for a Nintendo platform"

btw Headstrong Games (studio behind Battalion Wars 1,2 and one of Kuju various studios) are listing that they are working on AAA titles ,,,their only experience is with Wii/GCN ?? maybe WiiU title?

the other Studio "Vetra" worked on SH:downpour and listing "Vatra is currently working on two unannounced titles for one of the industry’s top publishers"

Headstrong Games (studio behind Battalion Wars 1,2 and one of Kuju various studios) are listing that they are working on AAA titles ,,,their only experience is with Wii/GCN ?? maybe WiiU title?
I used to work for them! After I left they worked on a couple PS3 ports of the their games (HotD and what ended up being a LoTR game), but yeah they ought to still have a good relationship with Nintendo. I remember getting my hands on the Wii devkit a few months before the console launched; I would be surprised if they DIDN'T have a Wii U devkit by now.

I used to work for them! After I left they worked on a couple PS3 ports of the their games (HotD and what ended up being a LoTR game), but yeah they ought to still have a good relationship with Nintendo. I remember getting my hands on the Wii devkit a few months before the console launched; I would be surprised if they DIDN'T have a Wii U devkit by now.

IrJwL.gif

you dont happen to have some connection with them now do ya ?? NEW IDEAMAN !! ;P

Shiggy

btw Headstrong Games (studio behind Battalion Wars 1,2 and one of Kuju various studios) are listing that they are working on AAA titles ,,,their only experience is with Wii/GCN ?? maybe WiiU title?

Headstrong worked on much more! Dancing with the Stars for Wii, The Sorcerer's Apprentice and Art Academy for DS, Top Gun: Hard Lock for PS3/360.
They announced that they have 3 3DS titles in development, one with Nintendo. But that was months ago...in 2010:
http://www.nineinchsandwich.com/?p=2835

So you worked on Knight Wars?
houses04_00365027zuh.jpg

knight-wars-kuju-01.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
well, I have a very simple mind; if someone think this is possible, just show me a game looking as good.

I suppose, what they mean, is that the tech is possible; or probably there are games with textures on par, models on par, etc., but I the point is the demo had all of them together,

---
someone posted on one of the early threads some videos of Castlevania as superior lighting;

Then I just grabbed the video, turned the brightness higher and show how terrible the textures and models in those scene were; basically it was a very good art direction and use of light in a night scene which enabled hiding the much lower quality parts.

---
and what is even more interesting, is that people conveniently just forget about the bird demo. We know that Zelda was internally developed, and I am pretty sure people at Nintendo are definitely not on par with those who are making impressive use of tech in studios such as Epic
I think that it is a bit difficult to compare the Zelda demo directly up to another game because the pre-set camera movements adds extra "coolness" to the demo (i know that it was possible to change camera angle in the E3 demo, but was there any free roaming camera?).

But i wasnt really thinking about comparing it up to other games because that is often spinned into a negative direction about the WiiU hardware (generally speaking, not referring to anyone specific), and i dont want to do that. I was more curious about the technical aspect of the demo since i mean i've saw some talk about it a long time ago, so i just wanted to ask about it.

Most people might have already seen this, but here is a version with edited-in sound which ads much to the experience in my opinion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Lf4uVuE50

bgassassin said:
I definitely feel the $99 package is a test. And I agree that the payment option will be the most likely choice. Along with increasing specs, it's pretty much a given they are going to include Kinect with it so they are going to have a tough time keeping the cost down to a reasonable target without a substantial loss. But either way I would like to see how the payment option affects their console margin.
I wonder. Any advantage would seem to be temporary, since the competition would surely respond if consumers start biting. And while $500 Xbox versus $300 Wii U might not look great, $200+monthly Xbox versus FREE+monthly Wii U could seem even worse.
Gahiggidy said:
Am I wrong to assume a box that's 2x the 360 could have been released in 2008 for a cost of ~$200.00?
Too simplistic a set of conditions. Is that cost to produce, or cost to consumers? How much storage does it have? What kind of disc drive? What's controller is included, or more than one? Is that 2x every processing capability and 2x RAM? How big is it physically? How many input/output ports? How many are they producing?

TriGen

well everything I will guess have to be out of the blue cuz we dont have anything other than "Retro Studios working on a games for a Nintendo platform"

I've always had the thought that Nintendo might use Retro's next game to go after the western audience harder, with some sort of shooter.

I don't know if that means maybe trying something completely different, as in new IP, (I agree with you though, I think Retro will do an existing franchise) or they could take a character/universe that's not used that much and turn it into either, a FPS, or what I think is more likely, a third-person shooter, that's kind of more adventure style like Metroid, but has an obvious Gears of War influence. So essentially, GoW type game-play, but with more areas to explore in an existing Nintendo univerese. If it's not a new IP, what universe would they use? I don't know.

Personally, I would love them to do a Yoshi platformer. They showed how well they do those with DK so on a personal level, since I love platformers, that's what I would want. As I said though, I believe Nintendo would prefer to use Retro to target the west this time around, so I don't see a platformer coming from Retro.

Smellycat

Retro might be working on a new Starfox Adventure game. It would make sense because of the rumors that they were making a Zelda game. The Zelda game was probably cancelled and Retro ended up using the leftover assets in a new Starfox game.

TriGen

Retro might be working on a new Starfox Adventure game. It would make sense because of the rumors that they were making a Zelda game. The Zelda gam was probably cancelled and Retro ended up using the leftover assets in a new Starfox game.

That's something I said above, as well. I could see doing a Zelda style adventure Star Fox, but I think they would also pay homage to the fans, and have some on-rails parts in between the adventure stuff.

Retro might be working on a new Starfox Adventure game. It would make sense because of the rumors that they were making a Zelda game. The Zelda game was probably cancelled and Retro ended up using the leftover assets in a new Starfox game.

That actually makes no sense.

Based on what they've been hiring and the fact that Nintendo wants to draw in a certain group of people it's not going to be Star Fox or Zelda.

It's going to be something more actiony and larger.

TriGen

That actually makes no sense.

Based on what they've been hiring and the fact that Nintendo wants to draw in a certain group of people it's not going to be Star Fox or Zelda.

It's going to be something more actiony and larger.

Your more on the, their going after the western GoW type audience angle?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If I had to bet, I would say Retro's project will be a new IP unwaveringly directed towards the dude bro's.

Your more on the, their going after the western GoW type audience angle?

Not exactly.
It won't be anything that extreme, but it won't be a rail shooter or another Star Fox Adventures type game, that's for sure.

If I had to bet, I would say Retro's project will be a new IP unwaveringly directed towards the dude bro's.

It's going to be something that appeals more to that segment, yeah. As much as a Nintendo game can, anyway. It will not be Call of Duty or Gears of War or Resistance. It will have its own Nintendo spin on it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I had this conversation with Nirolak, about what Retro could make that would attract a strong Western audience, and we did come to somewhat of a conclusion that Metroid Prime is pretty much that. It just came about at the wrong time, and skimped on a few presentation choices.

Something like BioShock is an excellent example of a non-Gears/Call of Duty game that appeals very strongly to the mass market. It's a game that hooked many new gamers this generation. If you look at how Prime operates, they're alarmingly similar. The use similar concepts and similar thematics to draw the player into the experience. Only Prime came about last generation, and on a system struggling to sell in the West. A lot of what made BioShock so appealing (excellent graphical presentation, audio recording, proper dual analogue controls, etc) wasn't available.

Whereas now it is. Funnily enough, a Wii U Metroid Prime similarly paced to the other Prime games, with production values to match modern titles, could do a pretty good job of hooking your typical Western gamer, without losing credibility or core formula. Even on a thematical level, Prime and Metroid in general stems close enough to 'grown up' than 'kids' without being obnoxious about it. Metroid can be quite scary, tense and mysterious while still be Metroid, and these kinds of things will appeal to older gamers.

In a hypothetical alternate universe where the Metroid Prime series never happened, if the Wii U was shown off with the Metroid Prime we know, only with modern graphical presentation and control standards, Nintendo would probably earn a lot of positive attention.

I really think a spin off series to the Prime games would be a good idea.
And I know I joke about the Anthony Higgs game a lot, but at the same time, a game like that would be perfect. You have a big, gruff, badass, soldier who is an interesting character and you throw him into battle with all sorts of space pirates and bounty hunters and what not.
Just seems like a win to me.

TriGen

Not exactly.
It won't be anything that extreme, but it won't be a rail shooter or another Star Fox Adventures type game, that's for sure.

It's going to be something that appeals more to that segment, yeah. As much as a Nintendo game can, anyway. It will not be Call of Duty or Gears of War or Resistance. It will have its own Nintendo spin on it.

That's exactly the thing they will have to balance out, and it will be hard. Your right, it would be really risky to go to far to the west, and deliver a game that big Nintendo fans wouldn't want to touch, because then you run the risk of Retro delivering a bomb if people that don't support Nintendo decide that because it's Nintendo they don't wan't it either.

You can't count on non-Nintendo gamers to fully support a Nintendo game, but if you want a new market you have to do something different then making a game geared towards the full-fledged, light-hearted side of Nintendo.

That's what I'm excited to see, how Retro will balance out making a Nintendo style game, that also appeals to the PS3/360 only gamers this-gen. It will definetly be Retro's biggest challenge yet, in my opinion.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think going for a gruff badass soldier probably isn't the best move though. It's typical, but it also fails to differentiate a spin-off from everything else. It's easy to pigeon hole the mass market for loving these kinds of characters, because they do, but the failure of clone games indicates people are more attached to familiar franchises versus everything being the same.

BioShock's character was neither of those things, and Infinite's isn't either.

This would be my worst case scenario. Starfox should just die. And that IP would be a waste of talent.

I'd rather have them work on another Brain Training game than on an IP that is about as worthless and dead as Startropics.

Oddduck

It amazes me how if Retro doesn't work on Zelda, Metroid, or a new IP, then anything else is considered a waste of Retro's talent. It's no wonder Nintendo shelves most of their existing IP's.

People seem to think most of their IP's aren't good enough if they aren't Zelda, Metroid, or Mario.

BurntPork

Banned
I really do wonder if Nintendo/Retro could innovate the FPS genre after a generation of stagnation with the exceptions of Valve, Halo, and Crysis 1.

Azure J

It amazes me how if Retro doesn't work on Zelda, Metroid, or a new IP, then anything else is considered a waste of Retro's talent. It's no wonder Nintendo shelves most of their existing IP's. People seem to think most of their IP's aren't good enough if they aren't Zelda, Metroid, or Mario.

You and me both. It's worse that the "Retro should make everything" brigade imo.

tkscz

This would be my worst case scenario. Starfox should just die. And that IP would be a waste of talent.

I'd rather have them work on another Brain Training game than on an IP that is about as worthless and dead as Startropics.

Wow, you have quite the negative view of Star Fox.

I really do wonder if Nintendo/Retro could innovate the FPS genre after a generation of stagnation with the exceptions of Valve, Halo, and Crysis 1.

What exactly puts Halo up there with Half-life? To me Halo was a mediocre FPS with a multiplayer that people loved. It's single player didn't change anything in the FPS genre and took a step back from what Rare did with Goldeneye/Perfect dark.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I can't believe we are only a month away.

Guys/Gals, if you haven't already, get out and see the Avengers while the theaters are still packed. It is an experience like none-other, and I just wish that Nintendo's Press Conference will having me smiling that stupid looking, ear to ear grin that Avengers had me doing during most of the viewing.

BurntPork

Banned

Guys/Gals, if you haven't already, get out and see the Avengers while the theaters are still packed. It is an experience like none-other, and I just wish that Nintendo's Press Conference will having me smiling that stupid looking, ear to ear grin that Avengers had me doing during most of the viewing.

Going to see it today.

Hope I don't regret choosing not to see it in 3D.

tkscz

FUCKING THANOS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom