• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii was such a good console.

v0yce

It has strong library in spite of itself. I hate the actual console. Waggle. Crap video output. Waggle. Crap audio output. Waggle. Crap online. Waggle. Ugh.

That thing sells 100 million consoles while the Wii U, Dreamcast, and Vita (all hardware I love) get ignored.

The universe hates me.

The Wii was great. People trying to disconnect the awesome game library it had from the console itself don't do that with the Super Nintendo, or the PlayStation 1 I would bet. They just say, "that console was great".

For me it had a lot of really good games, and therefore it's a good console.

lefantome

It was so good that you had to include many mediocre or of discutible quality games in your list.

It's one of the worst consoles of all time for: third party support (in term of quality), capabilities and services compared to its times, pricing, support/units sold and more.
It has some really good Nintendo games but any Nintendo console has some of them.

Pizza

I can't disagree more, arguably the worst console I've ever owned. Worst Smash Bros, worst Mario Kart, worst Zelda, worst Metroid Prime, Its only saving grace is Mario Galaxy, which are incredible. I think the Wii U has already surpassed it.

this. the Wii was the first (and only) console I lined up to buy on launch day. What I got was a gamecube with a worse controller. It had a couple good games, but Mario Kart and Smash bros were both colossal failures as games in their respective series (imo) and while Mario Kart 7/8 were a great bounce-back for the series (8 is fucking incredible) Smash 4 is absolutely a sequel to Brawl. and I dont know if the series will ever recover with Sakurai at the helm

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Disagree. Out of all the consoles I've ever owned, it's the one I've used the least.

Same. Bought it and bunch of the recommended games, either the kids didn't like them or I could not stomach 480p. Barely got played and sold it all to a friend who I think never hooked it up.

Occam

Good library, awful hardware. Nintendo couldn't even be arsed to release a hdmi version later on. Instead they made it worse as time went by, first removing GameCube backwards compatibility, and then they ended the Wii line with the monstrosity known as Mini Wii, which had no more component video output, lacked internet access and even an SD slot (=no way to back up saves).

And I can't disagree more with your statement. The Wii U is a total failure, compared to ANY Nintendo consoles. And its sales prove that.

Worst Smash Bros? I can't really get the difference between Smash Wii U and Brawl and I have both, except for the nice story mode in Brawl. Worst Mario Kart? Well, yes MK8 is better I give you that. Worst Metroid Prime? Nah. Prime 3 was great. Worst Zelda? Eh, WiiU doesn't even have its own Zelda game. Atleast Wii had one which was pretty good (but also the worst in the 3D series, yes I agree with that)

And most of those games you mentioned aren't yet on Wii U which is extremly disappointing.
lmaooo

sure

Celine

Is having good games the only thing that is required for a console to be good?

And don't think I'm agreeing with what he said, I'm asking you.
I weekly hook up 25 years old console to play old games (what features do you think a 25 years old console could have? Just the right one ;-) ).
I do like playing games I enjoy, that's my priority.

If games weren't the priority most of us wouldn't be on (gaming) GAF.

ApharmdX

Banned
When you compared it against the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, the Wii looks really anemic. To me, it was the first time that a console won in market share without winning in terms of game library and features.

At the same time, I understand that the Wii's audience wasn't the same as the other two systems. To that audience, and long-time Nintendo fans, maybe the Wii's offerings were pretty good?

Chillz0r

Banned
It had some REALLY good games but the console itself was incredibly techinically behind. The IR was pretty fun though. Waggle.... less so.

v0yce

The Wii was great. People trying to disconnect the awesome game library it had from the console itself don't do that with the Super Nintendo, or the PlayStation 1 I would bet. They just say, "that console was great".

For me it had a lot of really good games, and therefore it's a good console.

But the SNES and PS1 were awesome hardware at their time.

It'd be like Nintendo releasing a console with the same specs as the NES next to the Genesis. I have no doubt there would be some fun games on it but the console would still suck.

SalvaPot

I´ll argue its the best console of all time, it has a lot of classics due to Virtual Console, backward compatibility with the Gamecube (The previous best console of all time), the best homebrew support and emulation, brilliant new games.

When you compared it against the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, the Wii looks really anemic. To me, it was the first time that a console won in market share without winning in terms of game library and features.

At the same time, I understand that the Wii's audience wasn't the same as the other two systems. To that audience, and long-time Nintendo fans, maybe the Wii's offerings were pretty good?

The offerings weren't pretty good, they were fantastic. Of course, this is really only the case for people who are interested in more than Mario and Zelda.

I have to disagree. The Wii was the worst console I've ever owned. The motion controls ruined everything to me. Every game they were featured in was made worse because of them.

It's a treasure cove for hidden gems from Japanese 3rd Parties and a high amount of lesser known Nintendo IP.
The complete opposite of WiiU.

It had lots of great niche titles. Trauma Team and Sin and Punishment 2 being my favorites. It also gave us the amazing Punch Out revival.

Crazyorloco

I still have it hooked up...

Next to the xbox one. Ill probably leave it there. It provides a great value (look at all the virtual console games!)...lots of great gaming on that little box.

Nobody's even mentioned the three Trauma Center games on the Wii yet.

Holy shit. Im going to be searching for these now.

Zalman

I have to disagree. The Wii was the worst console I've ever owned. The motion controls ruined everything to me. Every game they were featured in was made worse because of them.
I disagree. I think, for example, Metroid Prime and Pikmin work better with the Wii Remote. Can't go back to traditional controls.

Sorry, but are you really saying that

Wii disc games
WiiWare games
NES VC games
SNES VC games
N64 VC games
Genesis VC games
Master System VC games
Neo Geo VC games
Turbografix VC games
GameCube backward compatibility

didn't add up to a "game library" that stacked up at least moderately favorably to either PS3 or Xbox 360?

What are the "many mediocre or of discutible quality games"?

Moreover, I wonder how many of the oft-cited great games on PS3 and Xbox 360 might actually be equally deserving of these labels?

score01

I love my Wii and still have it hooked up. So many great games but I can't help but feel how much better it would have done if it could have been able to compete better graphically with the 360 or PS3 or just even output in HD. They could have cleaned up that gen with all gamers.

MikeyB

I kinda feel the Wii library stomps all over the Gamecube's.

Gladius, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil 4, Rogue Squadron, Freedom Force, Pikmin, Tales of Symphonia, and non-motion control Metroid Prime.

Mmmnope. GameCube forever. Selling it is one of my biggest regrets.

I didn't even know there were three. Megaton.

Yeah, Second Opinion (a remake of the first DS one with VA, new art, a side story and new chapter with extra missions with new mechanics, and some older ones are remixed), New Blood (which was a whole new story and introduced co-op and was the first widescreen one), and Trauma Team, which is easily one of the best games on the Wii but also flopped because the hardcore and third party markets on Wii had totally fallen through by the time it came out (which effectively killed the series, because it has the most production values of the series by far).

Second Opinion was my first Wii game because I loved the DS version so much. I still don't think that pointer controls work quite as well as touchscreen, but all three are fantastic games that really require alternate controls to work.

v0yce

The last console with a worthwhile selection of lightgun games.

I loved the Wii lightgun stuff. Ghost Squad was a real treat.

but

PS3 + move + sharpshooter is awesome.

HOD 3, 4 & Overkill
Time Crisis 4, Razing Strom
RE Umbrella Cronicles
Dead Space Extraction
some more

I love the sharpshooter. Something else I loved that's ignored. sigh

I thought it was a bit poo and ended up giving mine to my wife's brother. That being said, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are two of my favourite games.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
The Wii was NOT a good console. It's the worst system Nintendo's ever made. The graphics look atrocious on any HD screen over 20 inches and the forced waggle and motion controls in some games was obnoxious. TONS of shovelware and even Nintendo was phoning it in with their 1st party output. Plus I had to replace my system twice due to defects, never had to do that with hardware before.

The Wii U is everything the Wii should have been from the start: HD, better unique feature (gamepad >>> Nunchuks) and even the 1st party games on Wii U are better quality. Such a shame, the Wii U deserved the success that the Wii got.

Gladius, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil 4, Rogue Squadron, Freedom Force, Pikmin, Tales of Symphonia, and non-motion control Metroid Prime.

Mmmnope. GameCube forever. Selling it is one of my biggest regrets.

RE4: Wii Edition is better and you can even play it with traditional controls (why you'd want to, I'll never know)

Pikmin 1 and 2 are better on Wii

Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii is better

Eternal Darkness....yeah, that game was definitely awesome, can't disagree

I think the Wii more or less sucked at the time.The waggle controls are awful and the decent game releases were few and far between, buried under mounds of shovelware.

It has aged really well though. It's super easy to mod and then works excellent as an emulator for SNES/NES stuff with 240p output, has gamecube backward compatibility with better resoultions than an actual gamecube (unless you have the $100+ gamecube component cables), and has a handful of really great games available.

I probably use mine more now than I did when it was new.

EmptySkyForm

Neo Member
Though I agree with you that the Wii did lack features other console had and I wished for them to be there, what else defines a console more other than the library?

The console is it's own thing. The console can exist without the games. That's like saying "this toaster is great because I can buy a lot of quality bread at supermarkets." when in reality the toaster is barely functional.

What defines a console is it's capabilities including the context. Take the PS3 for an example. In 2006 it had many unique features. Blu ray player, it was a printer, linux, ect ect. But if the PS3 were to release now then it wouldn't be as amazing as it was in 2006.

Context matters greatly when judging how good a console is for itself, not the games. Like I said every wii game can be played on my wii U.

Kosma

Banned
Wii was the last Nintendo hardware I bought and Ive been playing since the NES

Really couldnt deal with the tech being so far behind and old school game design

I enjoyed Wii sports and Re4

The Wii has some of my favourite games

Mainly Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn,Pandora's tower, Fragile dreams and of course Xenoblade Chronicles.

Also shout-out to Phantom Brave one of NIS great game.

Top Bottom