• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii was such a good console.

Stimpack

The Wii was NOT a good console. It's the worst system Nintendo's ever made. The graphics look atrocious on any HD screen over 20 inches and the forced waggle and motion controls in some games was obnoxious. TONS of shovelware and even Nintendo was phoning it in with their 1st party output. Plus I had to replace my system twice due to defects, never had to do that with hardware before.

The Wii U is everything the Wii should have been from the start: HD, better unique feature (gamepad >>> Nunchuks) and even the 1st party games on Wii U are better quality. Such a shame, the Wii U deserved the success that the Wii got.

I agree, especially with the fact that the Wii U should have launched in place of the Wii. People who want to defend the Wii, whatever, I can understand it. People who want to sit and say that the Wii was better than the SNES are either very young or out of their minds. Greatest console ever made? I struggle to say it's not the worst console I've ever owned.

Damaniel

Banned
I wasn't particularly impressed by a lot of the games and the sub-HD resolutions were definitely annoying as hell, but Xenoblade and Mega Man 9/10 made the system worth owning, shortcomings aside.

Second Opinion was my first Wii game because I loved the DS version so much. I still don't think that pointer controls work quite as well as touchscreen, but all three are fantastic games that really require alternate controls to work.

They rebalanced the game a bit in the transition, I thought it worked pretty well with the pointer.

Trauma Team is just amazing in every respect.

Lothars

It's a pretty poor system with a fairly mediocre selection of games with alot more overrated games. It was a dissapointment through and through but it did have some gems as well.

True, I'm thinking games made for the system.

Sure, but it's not as though its library existed in a vacuum where no other games could be played. A lot of people say backward compatibility is probably overvalued, and they're right, but Wii was really first out the gate with really blowing the lid off a company's back catalog and making all the best stuff available on the new system, and I think that deserves more credit than it often gets.

mrlion

And the cycle continues.

2001 - "The Gamecube sucks!!! no third party support, controller is crappy, its kiddie!!!"
2007 - "The Gamecube was perhaps the best console that Nintendo made!!! It had a lot of awesome first party games, the controller is amazing for smash bros. it was a great generation!!"

2006 - "The Wii sucks!!! no third party support, I hate motion controls, its kiddie!!! and lolTheName"
2013-15 - "The WiI was an amazing console. It had great first party games!!!"

2012 - "The Wii U sucks!!! They lost third party support, sales are failing, gimmicky and crappy gamepad controller, worst console ever made!!!
2017? - "The Wii U was a great console. Sales were failing but it had great first party games, and the gamepad controller was very unique!!"

FLAguy954

The wii was a terrible console. It lacked many standard features of that generation.

Having good games does not equal a good console. Those are separate, the games are on the console are great but the console itself is still terrible. All of the wii games can be played on my Wii U thus nullifying the argument you made.

I came here to post something similar. The Wii was a piece of shit hardware-wise so I will have to disagree with the OP.

I was already coming off of being soured by the decisions that led to Nintendo having a lack of third party support on the GameCube. When it was becoming apparent how the Wii would stack up against the competition hardware-wise, I have since written off Nintendo consoles.

redcrayon

I have to disagree. The Wii was the worst console I've ever owned. The motion controls ruined everything to me. Every game they were featured in was made worse because of them.
While I thought waggle was a terrible replacement for a button press, I thought the Wiimote as a pointer was fantastic for RE4, Metroid Prime, Dead Space Extraction, World of Goo, Sin and Punishment etc.

Not to mention all the games that didn't require either, like Monster Hunter Tri, Fire Emblem and Xenoblade. I played those three with a classic controller for a total of over 500 hours.

Man people bought more than 5-12 games for the Wii? News to me personally.

Smash, Zelda and like 3 other games were all I had for my Wii library. Its just not a good console imho.

I see that a lot of people are already disagreeing, but I agree with you. Nintendo was in top form through most of the generation, and it got a lot of very unique third party support. A lot of the mid-tier development that disappeared from the HD Twins migrated to the Wii.

I've said it before, but I think that history is going to be very kind to the Wii. Once the memory of the shovelware has faded and it's power disparity is no longer a sore point, people are going to have great things to say about it's library.

It's the console that got me to walk away from Nintendo after all these years.

No I cannot agree.

Yep.

2008 were some dark, dark times. After E3 ended that year I finally said to myself "well, I guess it's finally time to buy a non-Nintendo console for the first time ever".

There was a 360 under the Xmas tree that year.

You can really tell the people who kept an eye out for good games vs. those who just wandered past the Wii section in Wal-Mart occasionally and scoffed at the selection which was often shovelware + Mario Kart.

It really wasn't that hard to find the gems, though.

Smash, Zelda and like 3 other games were all I had for my Wii library. Its just not a good console imho.

But you just said you only bought 5 games, how do you know if the rest of the library is any good? The Wii is full of fantastic hidden gems.

petran79

Banned
Problem is that the Dolphin emulator was so good that it made the console redundant for Wii games.
You can even connect a Wii controller.

I agree, especially with the fact that the Wii U should have launched in place of the Wii. People who want to defend the Wii, whatever, I can understand it. People who want to sit and say that the Wii was better than the SNES are either very young or out of their minds. Greatest console ever made? I struggle to say it's not the worst console I've ever owned.

I'm 33.

As a first party machine, I'd take the Wii over SNES any day and I LOVED the SNES first party lineup.

When talking third party support, SNES is obviously the better system overall.

Yeah, if I only bought Killzone Shadowfall, inFamous: Second Son, and Bloodborne, I'd probably think the PS4 was pretty underwhelming as well, despite one of those games being amazing.

You can really tell the people who kept an eye out for good games vs. those who just wandered past the Wii section in Wal-Mart occasionally and scoffed at the selection which was often shovelware + Mario Kart.

It really wasn't that hard to find the gems, though.

So true. It actually makes it pretty easy to find out whose opinions are safe to completely disregard.

EmptySkyForm

Neo Member
What? What else would I want to do on a gaming console besides play good games?

Wii pros outside of good games:

Nice looking, slim and sleak form factor
Multiple control options
Backward compatible with GameCube
240p output
Great homebrew

Wii cons:

Forced waggle in many games
Video output inferior to GameCube

There should be way more cons than that.

The wii lacked basic social features. Friend codes were dumb, sending messages was stupid because you had to exit the game to see messages. IIrc you couldn't tell if you have received a message until you turn the system off. No invites to games. No notifications. No profiles. Basically connecting to other people greatly enhances your experiences in gaming. And this is coming from a person who rarely uses party chat.

Panda Rin

Owned a Gamecube. Loved it.

I felt burned on the Wii. Lack of support and sheer lack of genre variety, and the fact that the Wii was getting half-cooked ports. The reason why I didn't pick up the Wii U.

And the cycle continues.

2001 - "The Gamecube sucks!!! no third party support, controller is crappy, its kiddie!!!"
2007 - "The Gamecube was perhaps the best console that Nintendo made!!! It had a lot of awesome first party games, the controller is amazing for smash bros. it was a great generation!!"

2006 - "The Wii sucks!!! no third party support, I hate motion controls, its kiddie!!! and lolTheName"

2012 - "The Wii U sucks!!! They lost third party support, sales are failing, gimmicky and crappy gamepad controller, worst console ever made!!!
2017? - "The Wii U was a great console. Sales were failing but it had great first party games, and the gamepad controller was very unique!!"

Reasons for this are:
a) when the platform is "finished", and when it doesn't need to compete with other platforms in the same generation (including the competition for player's wallet), it's easier to appreciate its legacy and its library
b) they are all Nintendo consoles with both high-quality Nintendo games and those quirky features which make Nintendo consoles "not like the others".

v0yce

I see that a lot of people are already disagreeing, but I agree with you. Nintendo was in top form through most of the generation, and it got a lot of very unique third party support. A lot of the mid-tier development that disappeared from the HD Twins migrated to the Wii.

I've said it before, but I think that history is going to be very kind to the Wii. Once the memory of the shovelware has faded and it's power disparity is no longer a sore point, people are going to have great things to say about it's library.

I'm not sure how you can say Nintendo was in top form then. Aside from Galaxy and Punch Out, most of their efforts seemed lack luster compared to the other titles in their franchises.

Oddly enough 3rd party titles are the real stars of the Wii library for me.

Repackaged Gamecube with waggle as a nextgen console. Pretty crappy console but even then, I wont lie it has the most interesting Nintendo Games since the N64. Could have been amazing if Nintendo Actually Cared about making at least as half as powerful as a 360.

greg400

Banned
I'm absolutely amazed anyone can hold an opinion like this when looking at the sales of the Wii vs Wii U.

And the cycle continues.

I think it's because it's easier to look back at a console library in retrospect instead of contemporaneously in the moment, software droughts and all.

Everyone in support of the console is mentioning an absurd amount of games they bought for it. What games were they? Besides 1st party from Nintendo, what else was there?

1st party from Nintendo is roughly 25-40 games depending on preferences and stuff.

3rd party has 1000s of shovelwares but what were the quality ones? I'm expecting answers like Xenoblade and Monster Hunter to be top contenders lol.

depths20XX

I really didn't like this console. I have no real memorable experiences with the console outside of the novelty of the motion control stuff with friends when it first came out. Mario Galaxy and Donkey Kong were cool though.

Celine

Context matters greatly when judging how good a console is for itself, not the games. Like I said every wii game can be played on my wii U.
I don't know how old are you or if you have ever played old games.
When you play an old console you won't think at the context there was at the time because you are playing the console right now (when that context doesn't matter anymore or even when you can't know the context because you weren't even born).
All you have before your eyes is the game itself (which is obviously dependent on the hardware).

Zalman

Everyone in support of the console is mentioning an absurd amount of games they bought for it. What games were they? Besides 1st party from Nintendo, what else was there?

1st party from Nintendo is roughly 25-40 games depending on preferences and stuff.

3rd party has 1000s of shovelwares but what were the quality ones? I'm expecting answers like Xenoblade and Monster Hunter to be top contenders lol.
Xenoblade is first-party.

Regiruler

The wiimote nunchuck remains as one of my favorite control schemes of all time, provided the motion gimmicks weren't overdone

I mentioned quite a lot in the OP and i've seen a few thrown around in the thread like Trauma Team and Zack and Wiki

teeny

There was a lot of weird stuff on the Wii you dont really see anymore in the console retail space. Stuff like de Blob, Boom Blox, Deadly Creatures, Mushroom Men, Endless Ocean, the Trauma games, Sin & Punishment... The list goes on!

I'll always appreciate the Wii for being the last bastion of console B games. They are sorely missed nowadays and its a gulf that indies are yet to fill, imo.

Nintendo's output was pretty stellar too, even if not considered the best in their respective series.

I can't disagree more, arguably the worst console I've ever owned. Worst Smash Bros, worst Mario Kart, worst Zelda, worst Metroid Prime, Its only saving grace is Mario Galaxy, which are incredible. I think the Wii U has already surpassed it.

Yup. OP also needs to rethink some of those games he listed. Didn't even include Zack and Wiki or Madworld.

I'm not sure how you can say Nintendo was in top form then. Aside from Galaxy and Punch Out, most of their efforts seemed lack luster compared to the other titles in their franchises.

It's all a matter of opinion, really, but for the most part I preferred Nintendo's output on the Wii more than I did, say the Gamecube. Their main franchises were better than their Gamecube iterations (for the most part) and they had a lot of new quirky ideas, some of which worked and some of which didn't.

Amazing console marred by the third-party shovelware avalanche and really bad scheduling. Remember when "Nintendo abandoned us!" was a thing?

Otherwise, loved the hell out of it. Although sometimes I do wonder what would've happened if they went HD...

And the cycle continues.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I highly doubt I'll change my change my opinion of the Wii U in the future. The first-party output's great, but the overall misdirection of the console has been quite disappointing for me.

ApharmdX

Banned
Sorry, but are you really saying that

Wii disc games
WiiWare games
NES VC games
SNES VC games
N64 VC games
Genesis VC games
Master System VC games
Neo Geo VC games
Turbografix VC games
GameCube backward compatibility

didn't add up to a "game library" that stacked up at least moderately favorably to either PS3 or Xbox 360?

You're listing a lot of ancient platforms that most of us probably played the hell out of back in the day. That's moving the goalposts a bit. For just the Wii library, no, I don't think it compared favorably to the competition. And in terms of library + functionality, including graphics, online services, content delivery, etc. the Wii was the worst console of its generation by a significant margin, in my opinion.

The offerings weren't pretty good, they were fantastic. Of course, this is really only the case for people who are interested in more than Mario and Zelda.

I don't see it. I bought a Wii and sold it after about a month or two. The console didn't entertain me and my kids kept going for the PS3 and Xbox. Hey, I'm not going to say "stop liking what I don't like". Maybe for the Wii's audience those offerings WERE fantastic. edit: and I say this as someone who owned an SNES, N64, and Gamecube, and enjoyed all of them.

I'm 33.

As a first party machine, I'd take the Wii over SNES any day and I LOVED the SNES first party lineup.

When talking third party support, SNES is obviously the better system overall.

If given the choice, deserted island style, being able to play all games on SNES or all games on Wii for the rest of my life, I'd probably pick Wii.

Wii has Xenoblade and Monster Hunter Tri. That's like 1000 hours right there.

The Endless Oceans, the Trauma Centers, The Last Story, the first party including Prime Trilogy, two mainline Zeldas, one of the best Mario Karts, the Galaxies...it's an incredible library.

I guess I don't have enough nostalgia for SNES, and/or I feel like I never need to go back to that well again.

I don't know, maybe you should read the op.

Not sure what's wrong with Xenoblade and Monster Hunter Tri, as they're both great games.

If given the choice, deserted island style, being able to play all games on SNES or all games on Wii for the rest of my life, I'd probably pick Wii.

Wii has Xenoblade and Monster Hunter Tri. That's like 1000 hours right there.

The Endless Oceans, the Trauma Centers, The Last Story, the first party including Prime Trilogy, two mainline Zeldas, one of the best Mario Karts, the Galaxies...it's an incredible library.

I guess I don't have enough nostalgia for SNES, and/or I feel like I never need to go back to that well again.

I'm certainly not going to argue with you here. I don't hold the same level of nostalgia for the SNES either, despite loving it.

It's all a matter of opinion, really, but for the most part I preferred Nintendo's output on the Wii more than I did, say the Gamecube. Their main franchises were better than their Gamecube iterations (for the most part) and they had a lot of new quirky ideas, some of which worked and some of which didn't.

What? I know we are just talking about your opinion, but name one Nintendo franchise that is better on Wii other than mario galaxy.

Wii was fun for about 10 minutes until you realized Nintendo gimped it with 2001 tech and forced waggle. 99% of the time I found myself wishing I had a normal controller and don't even get me started on their friend code bullshit which RUINED online multiplayer. Third party support was mostly crappy spin-offs and shovelware; the only thing Wii had going for it was the virtual console. Easily Nintendo's worst system yet it somehow sold a ton because it became a fad/ late 00's pop culture icon.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Easily THE most underappreciated gaming software library in history. Hardware wasn't great but the games were fantastic.

So many people missed out on so many great games because of "lol SD grafx!!!1!!"

Also, LOL at anybody talking about shovelware. The beloved PS2 was just as bad. Also, the attach rate for Wii was right near 360 and PS3. GAF for some reason thinks it wasn't even close, which is ludicrous.

It had great games but i was sad that it was so underpowered. Games really looked horrible on a HD tv. Asside from a handful of games.

But i agree, was a great family console. I had a lot of fun with it.

You're listing a lot of ancient platforms that most of us probably played the hell out of back in the day.

I think it's a bit of an assumption that the people buying game consoles in 2006 were the same people that bought them in the 80s and 90s (I never owned an NES or an SNES), and even if they were, that they didn't see access to those libraries as valuable (which is especially weird since VC was apparently a really vibrant platform sales-wise). It certainly isn't true that most of the people who bought Wii ever owned a GameCube.

Fact of the matter is, that the Wii had access to all those games makes those games part of its library. It's moving the goalposts to say "well, those games don't count because reasons." I'd certainly consider the 20 or so VC games I bought as part of my Wii library, especially considering VC was the means through which I played most of them to completion for the first time, and replayed at least once or twice.

Many of the games on the VC service are my favorite games ever; it doesn't matter that they first released on "ancient platforms."

I feel this applies more to the DS than the Wii. Anyways, first-party franchises which did make a transition to the current generation are mostly better than its last-gen counterparts.

Super Smash Bros. 4 > Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Mario Kart 7 > Mario Kart DS
Mario Kart 8 > Mario Kart Wii
Zelda: A Link Between Worlds > Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks
etc.

However, many franchises haven't transitioned (Wario Land, Advance Wars, Battalion Wars) or we've yet to see the result of the transition (Star Fox, Metroid). Therefore, the stars of last gen library are:

third-party titles
Nintendo games which haven't got a current-gen sequel
Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2

I think it's a bit of an assumption that the people buying game consoles in 2006 were the same people that bought them in the 80s and 90s, and even if they were, that they didn't see access to those libraries as valuable (which is especially weird since VC was apparently a really vibrant platform sales-wise). It certainly isn't true that most of the people who bought Wii ever owned a GameCube.

Fact of the matter is, that the Wii had access to all those games makes those games part of its library. It's moving the goalposts to say "well, those games don't count because reasons."

That's exactly the reason I will never be able to talk shit about Wii U. This console re-introduced me to Nintendo games, which I only glimpsed on before, and damn it re-introduced me.

ASIS

Looking back, I would say its library is just asserting as the 360 and PS3, to me at least. It was such a great console.

Also the Wii has the awesome remake of Klonoa but sadly it was sooooo overlooked by people.

Sad that such a great character never got any big success. Probably my favorite mascot-like character too.

I did like a lot of the games on the console. It has some classics and some actually decent third party games. I didn't really like the controls, however. I wish that a lot more games had classic controller support (like DK returns for example) and you didn't have to plug the classic controller into a wiimote. I also didn't like constantly having to change the batteries, which was even a pain with rechargeable batteries. Overall, I like the Wii U more, and I'm glad you can transfer virtual console games over and play Wii games on the gamepad (well at least view them on the gamepad, they need to fix that for more games).

Top Bottom