• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witch - Movie, Has Just Been Named an Official 'Satanic Experience'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armadilo

Banned
Trailer

Article

The Satanic Revolution | The Witch x The Satanic Temple | Official Featurette
In the year since Robert Eggers' "The Witch" became the Sundance sensation of 2015, various press outlets (Indiewire included) have been over the moon in declaring the movie a terrifying new horror classic. Words like that can certainly set a high bar, but if you happen to think the movie won't deliver on its promise of terror, perhaps this news will seal the deal.

The Satanic Temple has just given the movie an official sanction, declaring it as a "transformative Satanic experience." In celebration, the group will be launching premiere screenings of "The Witch" beginning in New York City on February 10 that will include interactive performances and ritualized pronouncements of a "new Satanic era." Screenings will follow in Los Angeles (February 12), Austin (February 16) and Detroit (to be determined).

In an official statement made by The Satanic Temple, the group says it "is confident [the film] will signal the call-to-arms for a Satanic uprising against the tyrannical vestiges of bigoted superstitions, and will harken a new era of liberation and unfettered inquiry."

Added The Satanic Temple's National Spokesperson Jex Blackmore, "We are empowered by the narrative of 'The Witch': a story of pathological pride, old-world religious paradigms, and an outsider who grabs persecution by the horns." She goes on to praise the film's plot, which "departs from the victim" narrative of witchcraft and stands as a "declaration of feminine independence."

A24 will release "The Witch" nationwide on February 19.

---
I though I wasn't going to the theaters this month but guess I found my movie but come on,
watch it for the Goat
goat-lookgif.gif

I'm Excited

I'm interested to see what everyone thinks about it. As I mentioned in the Films of Feb thread, it's got a great sense of slowly rising tension that eventually envelops you. However, I doubt it will "signal a new era of liberation and unfettered inquiry."
Overall, a decent film that has me excited to see what the director does next.
Demon was better.

Armadilo

Banned
This movie is gonna create controversy in the next couple of weeks, people asking for boycotts and what not, Theaters deciding to not show it.

I live in a kinda religious small city, so I want to watch this but who knows

The goat man, the goat

goat-dancegif.gif

I'm interested to see what everyone thinks about it. As I mentioned in the Films of Feb thread, it's got a great sense of slowly rising tension that eventually envelops you. However, I doubt it will "signal a new era of liberation and unfettered inquiry."
Overall, a decent film that has me excited to see what the director does next.
Demon was better.

Is Demon only on festival circuit currently? Googled and couldn't find much.

nah, not gonna listen to any hype, don't wanna get Babadook'd again.

I'll watch and confirm for myself if it deserves the Satan seal of approval.

The Beard

Saw the trailer before The Revenant. It looks disturbing to say the least, and I'm not even sure if I want to see it.

Every supposedly hyped scary movie (Babadook, It Follows, Conjuring) has been incredibly boring for me. Hopefully this is different.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
But it looked reeeeeeeaaaaaaallllly lame in the trailer.

Beaulieu

good horror movies coming out recently

It follows
The visit
Now the witch also looks very promising

babadock was indeed shit tho

I wish Sam Raimi did another Drag me to hell :(

I'll check it out. Don't have high hopes despite the praise. Goodnight mommy was supposed to be good and it was whatever. It Follows is great though. One of the few horror movies thst lived up to the hype for me!

Pls witcher!

Is Demon only on festival circuit currently? Googled and couldn't find much.

Yeah, I believe so. I watched it during TIFF, the director died the night prior to the final showing so I think that somewhat screwed up the release. I don't want to really compare it to any other films purely because going into it without realizing what it is, is part of why I enjoyed it so much. Suffice to say it draws a lot from a ton of interesting places.

Honestly, if I went into this with the hype I have seen building lately, I wouldn't have enjoyed it half as much. It's an enjoyable film and entirely terrifying but it's not groundbreaking by any means. Go with the sole expectation of being scared and you should be pleased with what you get.

Karak

But it looked reeeeeeeaaaaaaallllly lame in the trailer.

LOl. Lame enough that a lot of us thought it was some kind of comedy ya. That goat leaping is hilarious. Honestly nothing from Sundance has ever turned out to be as "shocking" or "amazing" as we always hear. Probably a solid title and thats about it. Nothing wrong with that for sure.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
To tell the truth Goats are fucking scary, like really scary

But I kinda want a goat just because..

Goats and Kangaroos are hellspawn. Its the ones that you don't think will be scary man

So horror is like comedy ?

Maybe that's why something like Shaun of the Dead is such an incredible rarity :p

Housebound was pretty legit too.

Yeah, I believe so. I watched it during TIFF, the director died the night prior to the final showing so I think that somewhat screwed up the release. I don't want to really compare it to any other films purely because going into it without realizing what it is, is part of why I enjoyed it so much. Suffice to say it draws a lot from a ton of interesting places.

Honestly, if I went into this with the hype I have seen building lately, I wouldn't have enjoyed it half as much. It's an enjoyable film and entirely terrifying but it's not groundbreaking by any means. Go with the sole expectation of being scared and you should be pleased with what you get.

Nice, sounds good. Always looking for any gems in the genre, will keep an eye out for news about it.

LOl. Lame enough that a lot of us thought it was some kind of comedy ya. That goat leaping is hilarious. Honestly nothing from Sundance has ever turned out to be as "shocking" or "amazing" as we always hear. Probably a solid title and thats about it. Nothing wrong with that for sure.

You can make anything lame if you really want to. You have to go into horror movies with the right attitude or else you will just tear them to pieces. That's part of the reason why horror movies are tough to make and there are so few that are good every year

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The Witch is great, saw it back in September, though if you're already making gifs of scenes from it you've probably destroyed much of the experience for yourself. It's best watched without visual spoilers. Also it's a small, subtle film, and hyping yourself up as if you're headed to Star Wars will also be disastrous. But that's something you should just about never be doing regardless.

Armadilo

Banned
The Witch is great, saw it back in September, though if you're already making gifs of scenes from it you've probably destroyed much of the experience for yourself. It's best watched without visual spoilers. Also it's a small, subtle film, and hyping yourself up as if you're headed to Star Wars will also be disastrous. But that's something you should just about never be doing regardless.

The Goat man ... it has consumed me baaaa noo baaa noo....

AlexBasch

You can make anything lame if you really want to. You have to go into horror movies with the right attitude or else you will just tear them to pieces. That's part of the reason why horror movies are tough to make and there are so few that are good every year
I admit this is kinda why I don't like most horror movies. Specially with "oooo spooky children ooo" bullshit.

I dislike supernatural horror, basically because, if it's truly supernatural, it would fucking kill you in one second, no, mystical, spiritual solutions to beat evil and whatnot.

The Boy spoilers

Heck, I got dragged into that movie and was all like, "this isn't even scary, it's gonna be another Annabelle bullshit, and then grown up Brahms came out of that frame and got all ":'D the fuck is this". It was an awful horror movie but the "twist" was cool, haha.

Zero315

Banned

As someone who liked The Babadook, I can honestly say the hype definitely worked against that movie. It had a lot of people, including me, going in thinking it was something entirely different than what it was.

One of the people who hyped Babadook up to me also liked Unfriended. Even though I ended up liking Babadook, I still stopped trusting his opinions on horror movies.

I admit this is kinda why I don't like most horror movies. Specially with "oooo spooky children ooo" bullshit.

I dislike supernatural horror, basically because, if it's truly supernatural, it would fucking kill you in one second, no, mystical, spiritual solutions to beat evil and whatnot.

The Boy spoilers

Heck, I got dragged into that movie and was all like, "this isn't even scary, it's gonna be another Annabelle bullshit, and then grown up Brahms came out of that frame and got all ":'D the fuck is this". It was an awful horror movie but the "twist" was cool, haha.

Out of curiosity what's your reasoning for this? A big trope of supernatural horror is an entity or witch/hexer wants to slowly drain their victim over time, gives them more power, and in the case of possession gives them access to a host for longer. There have been some clever twists on the convention though like in the Denzel movie Fallen, where a spirit will hop from host to host, or downright end them but usually for the purposes of getting off on the anguish on a member of the living. The Omen is an exception though, Antichrist don't mess around, people usually bite the bullet rather quickly there, especially when a crow makes an appearance (though that was more Omen II).

Does Satanism as a religion solely exist for publicity? I mean, what kind of actual religion wants to be associated with evil and murder rather than promote an alternative, positive lifestyle?

Does Satanism as a religion solely exist for publicity? I mean, what kind of actual religion wants to be associated with evil and murder rather than promote an alternative, positive lifestyle?

Most of the public facing branches are not into violence, Anton LaVey's particular brand was pretty much relabeled hedonism, but you know, with naked chicks holding snakes around their boobs and prancing around with pentacles for the pageantry. There's a documentary that goes inside the Church when they were most active in the 60s and its kinda sad for the most part, you get the feeling a lot of the members are there due to poverty/mental illness and buying into LaVey's snake oil all for a place to stay or get high and laid. Bit of a mess.

edit: Here's the doc for anyone interested, from 69. NSFW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb_PD56fQ-c

Most of the public facing branches are not into violence, Anton LaVey's particular brand was pretty much relabeled hedonism, but you know, with naked chicks holding snakes around their boobs and prancing around with pentacles for the pageantry. There's a documentary that goes inside the Church when they were most active in the 60s and its kinda sad for the most part, you get the feeling a lot of the members are there due to poverty/mental illness and buying into LaVey's snake oil all for a place to stay or get high and laid. Bit of a mess.
Interesting, what's the doc's name? Is the organization in the OP the same one that is responsible for those court statue proposals around the US? How are they different from the LaVey group? And finally, about the film, are the witches actually good or are they more of the lesser of two evils? I'll look into it but modern horror films rarely meet their hype for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom