• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witch - Movie, Has Just Been Named an Official 'Satanic Experience'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Huh? It looks very good judging from the trailer.
It had absolutely zero emotional impact on me when I saw it before The Revenant. Am I supposed to be scared of a little girl praying? And I don't have any kids so the dingo ate my baby bit was really dumb. I dunno, all the quotes talking about how scary it is mixed with the completely benign country shack scenes left me perplexed.

Interesting, what's the doc's name? Is the organization in the OP the same one that is responsible for those court statue proposals around the US? How are they different from the LaVey group? And finally, about the film, are the witches actually good or are they more of the lesser of two evils? I'll look into it but modern horror films rarely meet their hype for me.

I edited in a link to it on youtube on previous post, it's called "Satanis - The Devil's Mass".

Not sure if the one in the op is the same as the statue, also unsure how they differ from LaVey's. Taking someone else's comment into account on here I'm guessing the latter to the evil question, I haven't seen it.

I've heard stories about church burning groups in Norway, mostly affiliated with certain metal acts but those are exceedingly rare and not at all what most Satanists are about. I think we'd label the former as terrorists :p

Dai101

Banned
Interesting, what's the doc's name? Is the organization in the OP the same one that is responsible for those court statue proposals around the US? How are they different from the LaVey group? And finally, about the film, are the witches actually good or are they more of the lesser of two evils? I'll look into it but modern horror films rarely meet their hype for me.

Yes. They are

The Satanic Temple is a New York based political activist organization that utilizes satanic imagery to promote egalitarianism, social justice and the separation of church and state. Both atheistic and humanist, their stated mission is "to encourage benevolence and empathy among all people".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Satanic_Temple

So the S.T. has basically humanist ideals but they use goats and black masses to promote them. Seems counter-intuitive IMO but at least they're not charlatans like previous groups.

7xCWzzH.gif

Khoryos

So the S.T. has basically humanist ideals but they use goats and black masses to promote them. Seems counter-intuitive IMO but at least they're not charlatans like previous groups.

My understanding is they're mostly about promoting separation of church and state - their standard MO is "Christian group does dodgy activity X - Satanists do the same, or challenge in court for the right to do so - Christian group BTFO."

For example, when a school allowed people to hand out bibles...

impact

Banned
Every supposedly hyped scary movie (Babadook, It Follows, Conjuring) has been incredibly boring for me. Hopefully this is different.

The genre is just not for you. And you're an adult, I don't know why you're referring to them as scary movies. It's a genre called horror.

I can't wait to see this. Just hope I can stream it from a VOD site rather than going to the theaters.

Most horror movies set a pretty low bar, so when sometime comes along thats actually scary and interesting, it gets hyped to the moon and back.

Not saying there arent any great horror films but they are few and far between with a ton of shlock seperating them

Most horror movies set a pretty low bar, so when sometime comes along thats actually scary and interesting, it gets hyped to the moon and back.

Not saying there arent any great horror films but they are few and far between with a ton of shlock seperating them

Just like any genre. Lots of bad, some great. The problem with horror movies is people tend to focus entirely on the hugely subjective element of it being scary or not, and not really one whether the movie itself is any good.

Theater protesters down here in the Bible Belt incoming.

I don't want to get myself too hyped for another horror film like I allowed myself to do for It Follows only to have it disappoint me. I'm still going to check this out though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Every supposedly hyped scary movie (Babadook, It Follows, Conjuring) has been incredibly boring for me. Hopefully this is different.

Babadook and It Follows weren't really trying to be jump out your seat scary. Babadook was more a disturbing vision of mental illness becoming a literal scary entity and It Follows was an episode of the Outer Limits or something stretched to movie length, probably would have worked better as an SCP entry.

HStallion

People always think goats are cute, until you own one and realize they're assholes.

To be honest, they are pretty cute assholes. People seem to get hung up on their weird eyes and forget that its ramming its horned head into the trunk of a tree because fuck that tree. I think goats are actually pretty funny.

impact

Banned

This is true about every genre of movie though. Most action movies and comedies being released are pure shite.

It just stings more with horror because that's my favorite genre.

Just like any genre. Lots of bad, some great. The problem with horror movies is people tend to focus entirely on the hugely subjective element of it being scary or not, and not really one whether the movie itself is any good.

This is true about every genre of movie though. Most action movies and comedies being released are pure shite.

It just stings more with horror because that's my favorite genre.

Yep totally agree but I think the general audience seems to be more forgiving of the short comings of other genre films.

Kinyou

This movie is gonna create controversy in the next couple of weeks, people asking for boycotts and what not, Theaters deciding to not show it.

I live in a kinda religious small city, so I want to watch this but who knows

The goat man, the goat

goat-dancegif.gif
The more I see of this goat the more I think it deserves an oscar

HStallion

Yep totally agree but I think the general audience seems to be more forgiving of the short comings of other genre films.

I have always stated that the hardest movie genre to do well is Horror. You get great dramas, comedies, documentaries, etc. all the time but really great Horror movies are few and far between.

Agreed. Especially the Babadook, so disappointed after all the hype. At least It Follows had some redeeming qualities, like the phenomenal music.

I have always stated that the hardest movie genre to do well is Horror. You get great dramas, comedies, documentaries, etc. all the time but really great Horror movies are few and far between.

I think it's because it's hard to innovate within the horror genre. Comedies have the benefit of being topical and the ability to push sarcasm or mockery is really easy.

Horror relies on things that aren't inherently topical. A lot of horror films have to spend time diverting typical horror movie tropes that a typical horror fan can easily spot. In order to be effective, a horror film has to surmount expectation and do something that doesn't fall in line with what's been done before.

That's why I think atmosphere is a huge trait for successful horror films. The mind game between build-up and payoff is where the "scare" aspect of horror really comes from.

The genre is just not for you. And you're an adult, I don't know why you're referring to them as scary movies. It's a genre called horror.

I can't wait to see this. Just hope I can stream it from a VOD site rather than going to the theaters.

Meant to put scary movies in quotes :p

Agreed. Especially the Babadook, so disappointed after all the hype. At least It Follows had some redeeming qualities, like the phenomenal music.

I don't know if it was the theater I went to but the soundtrack was so overbearing. Made it feel like an M83 music video.

I am kind of surprised that I'm not scared from these movies now because I had the most overactive imagination as a kid and I HATED to watch any type of horror flick.

Dali

I didn't find anything in that trailer particularly unnerving. All the praise means I'll be almost assuredly let down.

HStallion

I think it's because it's hard to innovate within the horror genre. Comedies have the benefit of being topical and the ability to push sarcasm or mockery is really easy.

Horror relies on things that aren't inherently topical. A lot of horror films have to spend time diverting typical horror movie tropes that a typical horror fan can easily spot. In order to be effective, a horror film has to surmount expectation and do something that doesn't fall in line with what's been done before.

That's why I think atmosphere is a huge trait for successful horror films. The mind game between build-up and payoff is where the "scare" aspect of horror really comes from.

I think this is an issue because it seems like a lot of people involved with making horror movies don't really seem to understand the essentials of what makes the greats really work. Just having a big scary isolated mansion with a crazy guy stalking his friends and family isn't going to mean you're going to get the Shining even with a huge budget, great actors, etc.

Dabanton

True. Both It Follows and the Babadook had great atmosphere so they both worked very well for me.

Creeping dread rather than things jumping out randomly works a lot better for me.

HStallion

I was pumped to see this until this announcement. Bummer.

Can I ask why? Just seems like an odd reaction to what isn't really important news in the scheme of things.

True. Both It Follows and the Babadook had great atmosphere so they both worked very well for me.

Creeping dread rather than things jumping out randomly works a lot better for me.

It Follows fell apart for me when the dread faded away at about a quarter of the way through the movie. Really felt like it was one of those movies that had an excellent idea and had no clue what to do with it after establishing the threat.

Didn't help that the writing wasn't great, thankfully it was well shot and had a decent, if a bit overbearing, film score.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom