• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witch - Movie, Has Just Been Named an Official 'Satanic Experience'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melchiah

Ah, that makes more sense. Yeah I seem to recall reading he supposedly had an advisory role towards the film, guess that's not the case. I was just talking to my mother the other day about horror films and she said that watching Exorcist in theaters was what drove her away from horror altogether xD

People got shook by that picture at time of release.

I remember reading somewhere long ago, that he was supposedly present in the boat scene, or the insemination scene, but as far as I know he wasn't in either of them.

My mother used to go with me to theaters to see movies like Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street when I was underaged, eventhough she wasn't a fan of horror movies. What mothers wouldn't do for their children. ;)

MrV4ltor

Can't wait to watch.

tumblr_o23swc3VYI1rv6sroo1_400.gif

cj_iwakura

Every supposedly hyped scary movie (Babadook, It Follows, Conjuring) has been incredibly boring for me. Hopefully this is different.

For me, the best horror films are psychological and not gory, which was why I loved It Follows.

Could do without these morons' rhetoric, though.

gamz

For me, the best horror films are psychological and not gory, which was why I loved It Follows.

I love, love a good gore movie, but psychological or suggested horror always gets to me. Even stuff like Texas Chainsaw has very little to no gore. That movie just fucks me up because it just feels so grimy and dirty. The same for Last House on the Left.

Melchiah

Every supposedly hyped scary movie (Babadook, It Follows, Conjuring) has been incredibly boring for me. Hopefully this is different.

Well, Babadook was pretty bad.

Agreed. Psychological horror is far more efficient, than gore galore. Most of my favorite horror movies are that kind, like Jacob's Ladder, Session 9, and The Nameless.

I remember reading somewhere long ago, that he was supposedly present in the boat scene, or the insemination scene, but as far as I know he wasn't in either of them.

My mother used to go with me to theaters to see movies like Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street when I was underaged, eventhough she wasn't a fan of horror movies. What mothers wouldn't do for their children. ;)

Haha, you had a pretty cool mom. Mine were southern pseudo Bible thumpers so I missed out on all the good stuff till later. Twas truly a tortuous childhood having to listen to other kids talk about seeing stuff like T2 years before I'd be able to :p

Cocaloch

As someone who has done a decent amount of work with witchcraft, stuff like this, not the movie but the marketing, kinda ticks me off. Both sides, Evangelicals and those like the Church of Satan that essentially use stuff like this for edgy marketing, are supporting a ridiculous ahistorical view of witches and witchcraft. A lot of historical effort over the last 60 years has been dedicated to the subject, and I find it quite sad that none of it has bleed over into the real world.

There were real witches, some of whom thought they were consorting with demons, though most in the Hellenic sense of the word, and some of whom were practicing Natural magic, a kind of precursor to science. Meanwhile those persecuting them were not entirely irrational and those persecutions were not a hallmark of the entire medieval period. Witch Hunts are mostly a phenomenon of the 16th and 17th centuries and are more complicated than they are given credit for by the wider public.

So, pardon the dumb question, but have they said where they are having these "satanic experiences"? I'd go to the NY one if I could but there doesn't seem to be any more info on it. Or is it not really a public thing?

cj_iwakura

So, pardon the dumb question, but have they said where they are having these "satanic experiences"? I'd go to the NY one if I could but there doesn't seem to be any more info on it. Or is it not really a public thing?

You do realize these often involve sacrificing animals, right? If I ever saw one I'd probably call the authorities.

Skelter

Banned

Same here. I'm kind of interested in attending it in the city.

ChouGoku

Does Satanism as a religion solely exist for publicity? I mean, what kind of actual religion wants to be associated with evil and murder rather than promote an alternative, positive lifestyle?

God murdered more people than Satan did and people associate with him

Saw the trailer today when I was going to see 'Room'. I thought it looked promising. Now that hipster hype has turned on, I've cooled on it.

Monocle

Most disturbing .gif I've ever seen. That look in its eye.
Either it has no idea what it's doing or where it is, or it knows what you did. Whatever that thing was, it knows.

Saw the trailer today when I was going to see 'Room'. I thought it looked promising. Now that hipster hype has turned on, I've cooled on it.
How is that even a factor for you? Like, who cares? It's your own experience that matters.

zethren

Banned
Either it has no idea what it's doing or where it is, or it knows what you did. Whatever that thing was, it knows.

How is that even a factor for you? Like, who cares? It's your own experience that matters.

Ironically, it's a "hipster" attitude for him to take. If you care for using that label to begin with.

Stoked on this movie, have been for a while!

Melchiah

Haha, you had a pretty cool mom. Mine were southern pseudo Bible thumpers so I missed out on all the good stuff till later. Twas truly a tortuous childhood having to listen to other kids talk about seeing stuff like T2 years before I'd be able to :p

I know the feeling. Eventhough my parents weren't religious, the small town I grew up in was very much so. All metal and punk was considered satanic in the local school.

Does Satanism as a religion solely exist for publicity? I mean, what kind of actual religion wants to be associated with evil and murder rather than promote an alternative, positive lifestyle?

You do realize these often involve sacrificing animals, right? If I ever saw one I'd probably call the authorities.

Satanism isn't a religion, but an ideology, and it doesn't involve sacrificing animals. There are of course some outliers, who might try to pervert it into something that it isn't supposed to be.

cj_iwakura

I know the feeling. Eventhough my parents weren't religious, the small town I grew up in was very much so. All metal and punk was considered satanic in the local school.

There's Christian metal bands that are just as hard as any of them, so that's a viewpoint that needs to die.

Satanism isn't a religion, but an ideology, and it doesn't involve sacrificing animals. There are of course some outliers, who might try to pervert it into something that it isn't supposed to be.

And what is it 'supposed to be'?

cj_iwakura

Lol, I thought you were being sarcastic.

I wish. I've seen it associated with practices in Florida, and it genuinely unsettles me. I've known some sick people in school.

I know better than to associate Wicca and other pagan religions with it, though. I feel like Satanists give them a bad name.

Melchiah

I wish. I've seen it associated with practices in Florida, and it genuinely unsettles me. I've known some sick people in school.

I know better than to associate Wicca and other pagan religions with it, though. I feel like Satanists give them a bad name.

Well, some youngsters might have pretty warped ideas about it, and I wouldn't base judgment on their definition of anything.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
This is the kind of setting i live for, I will definitely watch it even though it looks like a solid 6/10.

I'm guessing if satanists are all about this the twist will be that the bible made them fanatical and blind to the truth or something hammy.

Uh, sorry dude. Either you're really gullible to believe in evil satanists sacrificing puppies or whatnot, or you heard about some dumb folks whose only idea of satanism comes from movies.

Or since you mentioned Florida, maybe you're talking about something like Santeria, which has nothing to do with satanism?

And none of which has anything to do with this movie or the satanic church endorsing it.

There are sick practices by all religions. You can't honestly believe that all or most satanic gatherings involve sacrificing an animal...

ironcreed

Banned
Well, if it has the seal of approval from The Satanic Temple, then it will surely be good enough for me.

Ave_Satanas_Display_Pic_by_NecroticAlchemist.jpg

But seriously, the movie looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom