• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
VisanidethDM said:
If CDP pulls an AAA game with that budget, now that's something the industry WILL notice. Even being conservative the idea of cutting your budget in half simply by choosing a country where you'll find competent workforce for less is incredibly appealing. It happened in almost every other industry, and CDP is probably gonna set an historical precedent with TW2.
That's being done before by other companies so its not something groundbreacking or unheard off. What can become of CPR potential success is that other publishers, specially big ones, look at Poland as a potential pool of talent and maybe start some studios there.

Van Buren

Confidence Man said:
Skill system has been cut down. Of course this is party resulting from the above changes where skills don't determining combat proficiency, but in other areas like Magic where there are just two levels per sign it's more worrying. Why can't each sign have it's own little tree?
The skill trees in Witcher 1 had a lot of repeated talents with incremental upgrades. A sign upgraded twice seems to be a drastic increase to the potency of the base sign in Witcher 2. For instance, it just appears to me that instead of having +5/+10/+15/+20/+25 skill tree jumps, they are going with an intermediate improvement followed by a substantial final improvement in the skill trees. The skill tree overhaul was something that Witcher required since by level 35+, most Geralts will be highly similar in their talent distributions due to the efficiency of Igni and the sword styles.

Confidence Man said:
Then there's tavern brawls turned into a QTE minigame with QTEs in boss fights (though optional) and changes to alchemy to make it simpler (no secondary ingredient attributes, potion base quality no longer a concern, can't overdose).
QTEs are a horrible addition, true, but them being optional is a silver lining. QTEs in minigames like bar brawls is inconsequential compared to the initial alpha trailer where Geralt seemed to have to suceed in QTE to defeat an opponent. And the alchemy system has been tweaked to include negative attributes in place of the overpowered system in 1 - it was a no-brainer to exploit the side-benefits of potions, and that really trivialized the difficulty in an unmodded game. The addition of negative effects to potions is something I'm looking forward to experiencing since very few games make additions like that (Arkania series is a notable one).

dino1980

Exuro said:
Zoltan too. He looked so creepy in TW1 with that smile. I swear he was murdering in his off time. No one can be that happy and that creepy at the same time.

thecaptain-creepy.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
I glossed over the potion/alchemy complaints from Confidence Man, those are the only ones I can agree with, there is no doubt we're getting bit of a weaker alchemy system in the sequel. A lot of it has to do with them claiming there just simply wasn't enough time for them to get everything they'd like implemented, but that does sound more like a cop-out than anything else to me:

"It's not that we had to cut out this part, we just didn't have time to add that feature."

There's a good interview here with some disappointing facts about the alchemy.

bengraven said:
I'm still not sure how brawls worked. I just clicked on the guy and clicked again when the star appeared around the fist icon. I'm not sure if I did it right, but I beat every fighter in the game.

There was really no tactics needed from what I gathered, you just block until you're attacked, then fight back once. Your opponent almost never blocks you back, and when you finish your attack you just stop and wait with more blocking til you're attacked again, then repeat.

At some point I unlocked a few brawling skills where I didn't even have to block, I could just hit the attack button non-stop and my attacks would actually interrupt my opponents attacks, so even the final match in the swamps was easy as pie.

bengraven said:
So instead of clicking a button, waiting for the sword to turn into flame, then clicking again, rinsing and repeating...we actually get to experience combat?

Oh noes consolization is destroyin our gamez

I don't necessarily want to "experiece combat" in a role-playing game.

By most accounts the two levels per skill and the skills being more useful amounts to far more character customization.

Now I know you don't believe that. That's exactly what Bioware said with Mass Effect 2 after all, and now they're adding more skill upgrades back in for 3. And how are the skills more useful? Here they are. I see plenty of passive +% buffs. I just don't believe in fewer, larger increments being better by default. It's not as if you're gaining anything by truncating the system, ultimately you're losing a psychological element similar to what Harvey Smith described when he was talking about what went wrong with Invisible War.

The tavern brawls were basically broken in TW1, might as well been QTEs, and as you mention the QTEs are optional.

How about just making it not broken?

Salaadin

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Why not? If you're playing the role of a swordsman, shouldn't you feel like a badass swordsman?

I dont get that either. Does he want to watch it rather than play it?

The only complaint I agree with is the scaled back Alchemy. Everything else that I have seen and read sounds like an improvement over TW1.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Confidence Man said:

As long as it's not to the detriment to the actual RPGing, why not? As much as I loved the world, characters, ideas and story behind The Witcher, the combat alternated between boring the crap out of me and annoying me. As long as Geralt doesn't start twirling around like a magical pretty princess warrior, I'm cool with there being something more interactive than the click ...pause for animation.....click....pause for animation of the first game.

sam27368

Banned
CDP are a quality developer and I would relish the fact if this goes on console since it would allow CDP more exposure and in the end, more income. They are independant so don't have to worry (at the moment) about publishers pressuring them to change the gameplay to suit certain crowds (ala Crysis 2 and EA).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Confidence Man said:
Then I hesitate to believe you want to play a role playing game. You really just want an adventure game.

sam27368 said:
CDP are a quality developer and I would relish the fact if this goes on console since it would allow CDP more exposure and in the end, more income. They are independant so don't have to worry (at the moment) about publishers pressuring them to change the gameplay to suit certain crowds (ala Crysis 2 and EA).
EA may have pressured Crytek to make the environments less destructible to work on consoles, but Crysis 2's actual gameplay is far improved over Crysis 1. They streamlined the suit immensely. I played on PC, and it's MUCH better. The sprint just needed a boost.

WanderingWind

sam27368 said:

In theory, I agree, but that's how it started with BioWare, too. Just sayin'

Exuro

WanderingWind said:
In theory, I agree, but that's how it started with BioWare, too. Just sayin'
EA didn't buy CDPR though.

thetrin said:
I don't know how anyone can look at Witcher 2 and NOT think "Boy, This is THE game CDP always wanted to make."
Well it's always discouraging to hear that some features weren't able to make it into the final product.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I don't know how anyone can look at Witcher 2 and NOT think "Boy, This is THE game CDP always wanted to make."

bengraven

Confidence Man said:

...wait, you KNOW this is an "action-RPG" right? Not a turn based one. If you don't want to experience combat, there are a few JRPGs available on Steam. SMH

Minsc said:
At some point I unlocked a few brawling skills where I didn't even have to block, I could just hit the attack button non-stop and my attacks would actually interrupt my opponents attacks, so even the final match in the swamps was easy as pie.

You know, now that I think of it I may have lost one fight. Then next level up put some talents into brawling and never lost. Was probably what you are mentioning now.

That said, brawls were boring and I usually avoided them until I wanted to clear my quest list. I could go for more action, though I'd rather have more control over them.

I think they were primarily referring to the nerfed alchemy system.

Does anyone think that there will be a potential "enhanced edition" of the witcher 2?

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Why not? If you're playing the role of a swordsman, shouldn't you feel like a badass swordsman?

I don't know, I sort of felt like a badass swordsman in The Witcher. It's not that I absolutely want click-to-attack combat, I just want the abilities of the character to take as much if not more of a role than my own button-clicking reflexes. Like previews have talked about how it's tough when fighting a group of enemies, but Geralt with his meta-human reflexes should be able to do that. I mean are you really going to feel like you're the famed Witcher when comically rolling around avoiding enemies? They could have adapted the combat styles in a way that made sense for a more action-oriented approach without it being limited to just one button for fast attack one for strong attack.

Typographenia said:

Does anyone think that there will be a potential "enhanced edition" of the witcher 2?

I hope not...I'd rather they release an expansion pack.

Exuro

Gully State said:
I hope not...I'd rather they release an expansion pack.
Yeah add more content AND improve the original. I would like that the most. Put in the stuff they weren't able to before while providing more to the story.

Minsc

Gold Member
Typographenia said:

I'm envisioning an Enhanced Edition, exclusive to consoles, when it's ported. Would get people to double dip. Then down the road maybe 4-6 months later an expansion or larger DLC coinciding with a free PC release of the EE in the form of a patch.

Confidence Man said:
I don't know, I sort of felt like a badass swordsman in The Witcher. It's not that I absolutely want click-to-attack combat, I just want the abilities of the character to take as much if not more of a role than my own button-clicking reflexes. Like previews have talked about how it's tough when fighting a group of enemies, but Geralt with his meta-human reflexes should be able to do that. I mean are you really going to feel like you're the famed Witcher when comically rolling around avoiding enemies? They could have adapted the combat styles in a way that made sense for a more action-oriented approach without it being limited to just one button for fast attack one for strong attack.

Some review did comment the variety of tactics amongst different enemies, blocking and parrying needed to fight effectively felt great, so I'm hoping for the best. I'm also hoping the rolling around isn't a 100% effective move you use every second there's an enemy as some previews and videos have shown, the absence of rolling for some opponents is hopefully required.

Though Geralt does love pirouettes and rolls in the books, so at worst, it'd be true to the books. :)

RavenFox

Banned
Mexx said:
Collector's Edition pic, sorry if already posted.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2084/5713077272_b3d5b9626b_b.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2184/5713592710_64229b1155_b.jpg[/IG]
via [URL="http://forum.polygamia.pl/index.php/topic,1570.12320.html"]http://forum.polygamia.pl/index.php/topic,1570.12320.html[/URL][/QUOTE]
0_0

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome looking collector's edition. I would've ordered it if it came with a GOG redemption code. I also wouldn't have really liked having the Geralt statue.

Complistic

sam27368 said:

As long as they don't get any ideas about developing games for multiple platforms in the future then I'm fine with them porting a version of the PC game to consoles.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
My kit arrived today. If you guys have any ideas on how I should give it away without totally derailing the thread, let me know.

I briefly opened it so I could copy the screenshots on the disc thats included. I'll post them later, I think quite a few haven't been shown on here yet.

here's one:

zonezeus

Just got my CE copy, the artbook is simply AMAZING - 200 pages of quality art with additional info on the world, characters and monsters. I'm also digging the cards - standard Piatnik's, but I was expecting them to be some noname one-use crap.

Now let me play the game, monday can't come soon enough!

Kyaw

Snuggler said:
My kit arrived today. If you guys have any ideas on how I should give it away without totally derailing the thread, let me know.

I briefly opened it so I could copy the screenshots on the disc thats included. I'll post them later, I think quite a few haven't been shown on here yet.

Umm... I'll take the T-Shirt! :p

Generate a random number between 1-100 for each participant. Highest number wins?
If there are multiple things to give away, just repeat the process?

Edit: Does it have tasty posters?

woober

Snuggler said:

I'll take posters! : p

dwebo

Snuggler said:
Did you get a preview copy? Fuck the rest of the stuff and go play that if you did.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It looks like there aren't any posters. It's a disc with some content, some flip book with quotes from their forums, a t-shirt and some little slips of paper with character bios on them.

Unfortunately money is tight so I'll have to ship the whole package to one person instead of breaking it apart. I'll figure something out later tonight.

- no preview build :(

That art book... Man, I hope I come across a physical copy one day in the future for sale. I will buy that sucker with every spare cent I have laying around.

You seemed to get that kit rather fast, snuggler! I can't wait for the screenshots.

WanderingWind

Snuggler said:
It looks like there aren't any posters. It's a disc with some content, some flip book with quotes from their forums, a t-shirt and some little slips of paper with character bios on them.

Unfortunately money is tight so I'll have to ship the whole package to one person instead of breaking it apart. I'll figure something out later tonight.

- no preview build :(

I'll take it! How much...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom