• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snuggler said:
2nbwni9.jpg

Of all of them, this is definitely my favourite. 'Print out and frame' material.

This game..so eager! These screenshots and videos are the only thing keeping me going right now.

Exuro said:
Q: Also, will there be a preload for Steam version? If so, when?

A: yes, might be wrong (sorry), but likely TODAY.

Did he say he might be wrong on Steam having a preload or it being today? What happened to this being GoG exclusive?

I think he just meant he isn't sure but should be today.

That coin and map is giving me a boner, i love that shit. Still got my oblivion (spit) CE septim hanging around somewhere.

They come with the "standard" edition too right?

Van Buren

fizzelopeguss said:
That coin and map is giving me a boner, i love that shit. Still got my oblivion (spit) CE septim hanging around somewhere.

They come with the "standard" edition too right?
Witcher 2 website says it does. And that Oblivion CE was the best part of the game, to be honest.

Chesskid1

Banned
i wonder why no companies do buy a copy, get digital version now, boxed copy in a few days.

they like to do the opposite though, buy a copy and register it for digital version. (mostly steam i guess). i guess there's no real big incentive to, since it just costs more money.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
zlatko said:
If I get the game through GOG will I be able to use the CD key code on Steam?

According to the OP, no. Although, I hope that we can! I really want this on my Steam Games' List officially.

zlatko

Banned
graywolf323 said:

Hmph. This leaves me in a weird predicament. On the one hand the things you get from GOG as well as the ability to pre-load it now plus the money going straight to the developers is great, but on the other hand there is fucking Steam which owns me.

:(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
zlatko said:
Hmph. This leaves me in a weird predicament. On the one hand the things you get from GOG as well as the ability to pre-load it now plus the money going straight to the developers is great, but on the other hand there is fucking Steam which owns me.

Do you own nothing else on GOG? Why not :(?

Revolutionary said:
Instruction manual is up for reading on Steam: http://cdn.steampowered.com/Manuals/20920/The Witcher 2 Manual - English.pdf?t=1305141546

Bad news: the barfights are QTE's. :(

That's too bad. They were ridiculously easy and the controls were a bit janky in the first game, but I imagine they could have been fun with TW2's new and improved combat system.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Zefah said:
Do you own nothing else on GOG? Why not :(?

Because it's freaking Steam, man! You don't like Steam, you are owned by Steam.

Okay, that was hyperbole

Exuro

zlatko said:

The Q/A session confirms that Steam will also get a preload, possibly today.

Revolutionary said:
We've known about this for months, if not a year. TW1's barfights were terrible broken. I honestly didn't know what they were trying to do with it.

Revolutionary said:
I thought this had been announced quite a while ago? I think it's the only part of the game that will be qte that aren't optional.
I didn't mind the idea of qtes, but I've never done them on a keyboard before. Is it better, worse, or just as bad than controllers?

Those papercrafts in the video are the creepiest things I have ever seen. Still, I want that art book. : (

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fox318 said:
Its not like the barfights in the Witcher 1 were any different.

I've never been a fan of this logic. The whole "it sucked in the previous version, so remove it/replace it with something simple" thing doesn't sit well with me. If actual fun combat mechanics were put in place (which looks to be the case with TW2), and difficulty was tweaked depending on your opponent, the bar fights could be quite challenging and entertaining. I'd much prefer that to quick time events. It's not that big of a deal, though. They are probably a very minor part of the game in this, too.

Exuro said:
We've known about this for months, if not a year. TW1's barfights were terrible broken. I honestly didn't know what they were trying to do with it.
My bad - I had no idea. As the other poster said, I was hoping for something that was like the new combat system.. not something entirely different, like QTE's.

Exuro

Revolutionary said:
My bad - I had no idea. As the other poster said, I was hoping for something that was like the new combat system.. not something entirely different, like QTE's.
I don't think it's a big enough part of the game to get a complete overhaul. If it were more integral I would agree, but it's just a mini game like poker dice and arm wrestling.

Zefah said:
I've never been a fan of this logic. The whole "it sucked in the previous version, so remove it/replace it with something simple" thing doesn't sit well with me..
No one is saying remove it nor is anyone saying it should be dumbed down. Honestly I don't think you could dumb it down past what TW1 had for it. At least with QTE's we'll get cool animations of Geralt beating the living snot out of people. It's not a huge part of the game so I don't see the need to add some overly complex system to it.

Minsc

Gold Member
Don't forget, new website (and possibly trailer) in 3 to 30 hours, depending on when the 13th comes to the internet!

Steam pre-load is great, I hope either it or GOG unlocks early enough on Monday I can give it a shot, no midnight crap thank you.

Revolutionary said:
They have said that you can fist fight enemies in regular combat using the new combat system. But barfights will always be QTEs.

graywolf323

zlatko said:

just buy it on both :p honestly that's what I'm probably going to end up doing >_<

Vasili2K38

I've just finished reading the manual, nothing that we don't know already. Holy shit, I'm not too old, but I'm feeling like a kid, full of excitement waiting this game. Indeed it's been a long time since I've been so excited about the launch of a game. Monday can't come soon enough!

Once nice thing that the manual mentioned is that there's a key to toggle between controller and keyboard. When I heard they both weren't active at the same time I was kinda bummed, but that works out well.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Damn. Looks like I gotta pre-order this through Steam instead now, I want those items for my Scout.

Dat hair.

Blackheim

Ahhh, Valve almost got me on that one. I pretty much never play a Scout and haven't played TF2 in a while so that hair doesn't sway me THAT much... I had about a millisecond of indecision for a moment after seeing that though :p

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
OK, the results are in

Corky, will you please come down to the stage? PM me your info and I'll send you the kit.

My condolences to everyone else.

Saige

I must do better.
Damn it after switching my preorder over from steam to GOG to support the developers, they announce promotional tf2 items right after I actually pay for the game.

And it’s all for my favourite class :(

Exuro

I would think this would get put up soon, maybe tomorrow. TF2 items are a big incentive for some people. Actually sounds really late if these are pre-order items. If they are for achievements or something I could understand that.

Actually, with the recent news of a preload it'll probably get shown off when that goes up in a new thing on the main page. Tomorrow still sounds likely though.

antonz

bender said:
It may be time to upgrade my HD4870 512MB. Decisions, decisions.
If you can go for a 2GB 6950. Can be flashed to a 6970 or if you prefer less can just unlock the extra shaders via flashing.

Best performance for the buck right now

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
antonz said:
If you can go for a 2GB 6950. Can be flashed to a 6970 or if you prefer less can just unlock the extra shaders via flashing.

I vouch for this. I have a 6950 2GB, and it is fucking amazing.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
antonz said:

Since I just upgraded from a 4879 to a 6950, I have 2 questions.

1) What the hell is flashing?
2) What the hell is a shader?
3) Why would I want to do either?
4) Why can't I count?

antonz

WanderingWind said:

4) Why can't I count?

The 6950 Cards have dual bios built in that can be accessed via a switch on the card. What is done is you replace one of the bios and it allows the card to have its full potential unlocked.

The 6950 besides for lesser memory chips are basically a 6970 that AMD "locked" down to 6950 level. Unlocking it you get a 350 dollar GPU for 220-250 range.

Some people worry about durability so dont full unlock the card and only unlock the extra shader operations which boosts card performance but not as much as a full unlock.

I have had my 6950 fully unlocked to 6970 and overclocked for 3 months now and it operates flawlessly.

bender

What time is it?
antonz said:

Are only certain 6950s able to be flashed or am I misremembering something I read online? I was looking at the GT570s yesterday. I'm stuck ordering on Amazon though as I have a ton of gift certificate balance with them.

I might see how my 4870 runs Witcher 2 as I wasn't planning on upgrading until Battlefield 3/Diablo 3. I just have a bad feeling though especially with the performance I see in the original. :(

I purchased my Witcher 2 copy from GoG. I couldn't resist with getting a copy of Divine Divinity free. :)

WanderingWind said:

4) Why can't I count?
The only difference between the 50 and 70 in this case is clockspeed and shaders, I'm guessing. Often the cheaper GPUs aren't actually built to be a certain speed - the manufacturer simply makes the fastest one all the time and every GPU that fails a performance check (either because it can't take the heat or has some microscopic deformities) is "rebinned" as a cheaper, slower part. The video card firmware or bios determines just what clock speed and how many shaders are available.

The thing is, binning is a quick process. Sometimes GPUs that can work at full speed are binned lower, often because they can work but only at an unacceptable heat level, but also sometimes just because too many GPUs passed the speed check; even if everything passes they still need to sell the cheaper cards.

Flashing is basically a "do at your own risk" procedure where you make the card think it's the faster part. If it works, you just upgraded the card for free. If it doesn't, it either doesn't work, runs too hot, or shows lots of visual errors. Considering the savings, it's not surprising the hardcore community tries it though.

Shaders can be considered sort of the engines running pixel conversion. The basic gist is more shaders = better performance. Probably.

antonz

Crazymoogle said:
The only difference between the 50 and 70 in this case is clockspeed and shaders, I'm guessing. Often the cheaper GPUs aren't actually built to be a certain speed - the manufacturer simply makes the fastest one all the time and every GPU that fails a performance check (either because it can't take the heat or has some microscopic deformities) is "rebinned" as a cheaper, slower part. The video card firmware or bios determines just what clock speed and how many shaders are available.

The thing is, binning is a quick process. Sometimes GPUs that can work at full speed are binned lower, often because they can work but only at an unacceptable heat level, but also sometimes just because too many GPUs passed the speed check; even if everything passes they still need to sell the cheaper cards.

Flashing is basically a "do at your own risk" procedure where you make the card think it's the faster part. If it works, you just upgraded the card for free. If it doesn't, it either doesn't work, runs too hot, or shows lots of visual errors. Considering the savings, it's not surprising the hardcore community tries it though.

Shaders can be considered sort of the engines running pixel conversion. The basic gist is more shaders = better performance. Probably.
The big bonus with the 6950 is the fact it has dual Bios built in so you can reset it if settings dont work properly on the modded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom