• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
dino1980 said:
Is anyone going to really try and beat the game on insanity difficulty settings?

"Die once, die forever"

My first playtrough is gonna be on hard. I want it to be as tough as Demon souls, but im thinking it will not be on hard. And insanity settings is just to insane for me :D

Pankaks said:
I'm thinking about it. But, I just know there is gonna be some cheap boss fight that's going to ruin it for me.

More likely you'll get surrounded by 4 enemies for the twentieth time in the first few hours of gameplay and be killed. Many reviews already complained the difficulty is very unforgiving when fighting multiple enemies and that was not even on insane, where the enemies use alternate moves/ai to fight you. Boss battles are said to be easy actually.

Luthos said:
Agreed. GoG still would have some exclusive digital content, right?

Because I mean it's pretty silly to make pre-loading, of all things, exclusive.

It's all about the 200+ page artbook! Did you see those pieces of artwork from the press kit? The books going to have 200+ pages of that stuff, accompanied by hundreds of paragraphs about the development and game.

MedIC86 said:
I did not real the whole thread so excuse me if its answered already,
But if i understand correctly this game has no native 16:10 support :/ not sure if im gonna buy then, i hate cropped reso...sigh

They said it will get patched in very soon, I've always felt it was a minor deal, most movies are like that (actually far worse) on HDTVs, and the first game had issues with 16:10, and I don't even notice the black bars after a few minutes anyway myself, but if you want to make a statement, just wait a few weeks/months for the patch, if you can! I know I couldn't :)

I think there are no plans for 4:3 support though, so you'll be out of luck if you have a 4:3 display (yea, those aren't really sold too much anymore, but neither are 16:10 displays).

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Good news, everyone! (though sorry if this has been mentioned already) - just read part of the QA session on FB recently, and supposedly ALL DLC will be free (not expansions), and the first one will be available on release. So cool!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
derFeef said:
Gameware sending out german copies early again. Shit, should have ordered there.

Wooo Gameware. It's only 20 minutes away from my house :p

MedIC86

Minsc said:
They said it will get patched in very soon, I've always felt it was a minor deal, most movies are like that (actually far worse) on HDTVs, and the first game had issues with 16:10, and I don't even notice the black bars after a few minutes anyway myself, but if you want to make a statement, just wait a few weeks/months for the patch, if you can! I know I couldn't :)

OO i was under the impression that the image would be modified, but black bars i can live with yeah :) good to know. thanks

Minsc

Gold Member
derFeef said:
Aha! Shop-sale starts on the 17th though ;)

Are all versions Steamworks? If, I could have enjoyed the collectors edition's extras!

All versions have SecureROM (except for GOG). It's the SecureROM authorization that requires a ~50MB download for the game to work after installation, that's what everyone has to wait for.

I think it's a great system really, pirates don't get day 0 releases, and stupid retailers that leak copies early don't do any damage either.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Minsc said:
More likely you'll get surrounded by 4 enemies for the twentieth time in the first few hours of gameplay and be killed. Many reviews already complained the difficulty is very unforgiving when fighting multiple enemies and that was not even on insane, where the enemies use alternate moves/ai to fight you. Boss battles are said to be easy actually.

I see.

Oh well, I guess I'll just roll with the difficulty above normal for my first run. I'm also pretty glad to hear they toned down the boss battles, considering how terrible the Beast and Azar Javed were.

Minsc

Gold Member
Pankaks said:
I see.

Oh well, I guess I'll just roll with the difficulty above normal for my first run. I'm also pretty glad to hear they toned down the boss battles, considering how terrible the Beast and Azar Javed were.

I actually think it'd be kind of smart of them during the prologue to not skimp out on insane difficulty, and from the sounds of it, I don't think they do. We know the prologue involves an
attack on a castle/escape from prison
so it makes sense there'd be tons of enemies to fight. Hopefully if someone's brave/dumb enough to pick insane on their first attempt, the game shows them just how merciless it is and kills them off in the first few hours (minutes would be even better) rather than 10 hours in during the first chapter.

I expect a ton of people to try it out on insane first trying to be amongst the first to get the achievement, but chances are you will die, hopefully for your sake sooner than later. Combat does not sound easy at all against multiple enemies, it sounds like you can go from full health to dead in a few seconds / wrong moves.

With how amazing some of this artwork is I'm considering printing out my copy of the arthook on nice paper and binding my own custom artbookcand with cover. I reallu want to do something awesome for the artbook.

I am going to kick myself but I may just try starting on Hard...

Minsc

Gold Member
Archie said:
I thought insane wasn't available until you beat the game on hard.

That's what they said initially, but in a recent Q&A session they said it would now be unlocked from the start, but they absolutely don't recommend anyone who's never finished the game use it. I'm sure it will come with a warning if you select it too, otherwise imagine the amount of bitter players who find out they can't just load their game after dying - not even by copying back saves they copied to another folder to trick it. They said the game "knows" you're supposed to be dead, so even if you manage to bring back a save, it still won't load if you died.

Kyaw

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
With how amazing some of this artwork is I'm considering printing out my copy of the arthook on nice paper and binding my own custom artbookcand with cover. I reallu want to do something awesome for the artbook.

What services and what type of paper do you recommend? I want to do the same thing too.

Salaadin

Kyaw said:
What services and what type of paper do you recommend? I want to do the same thing too.

He got me thinking about this too, thatd be kinda nice to have,

I wonder when the new site is going to launch? Its Friday guys, open it up!

Minsc said:
That's what they said initially, but in a recent Q&A session they said it would now be unlocked from the start, but they absolutely don't recommend anyone who's never finished the game use it. I'm sure it will come with a warning if you select it too, otherwise imagine the amount of bitter players who find out they can't just load their game after dying - not even by copying back saves they copied to another folder to trick it. They said the game "knows" you're supposed to be dead, so even if you manage to bring back a save, it still won't load if you died.

Man the rage if you die 40 hours into the game...

A printer copy would be better though...

I would recommend ensuring that you use permanent inks and probably printing on 180gsm+ Matte Paper with a slightly rough finish. So that when you run your hand over it it has that smooth / rough feeling that official artbooks usually have.

I want to eventually get a physical copy on sale if I can... I really love artbooks.

Minsc

Gold Member
Salaadin said:
I wonder when the new site is going to launch? Its Friday guys, open it up!

Must be soon, website was bringing up a

"It works!" message

and now it says "502 Bad Gateway"

Salaadin

ColonialRaptor said:
I want to eventually get a physical copy on sale if I can... I really love artbooks.

Me too. I might check ebay and hope for a legit one or something.
I emailed CDPR about the artbook a few months ago and they told me that the only way to get the entire physical artbook was through the physical CE. Maybe theyll change their mind.

Kyaw said:
But where can you get that service? Any through web?
Since the artbook is in PDF.

There are a few I can find on google but am unsure if theyre any good.

EDIT:

Minsc said:

"It works!" message

Getting that too. 30 mins ago, it was still the coming soon message.
*crosses fingers for a new trailer*

raphier

Banned
Minsc said:

"It works!" message

that means internal testing is done. Should open up in an hour if no other problems arise. (Unless that is for CMS system)

Minsc said:

"It works!" message

Now it's trying to send me to "en.com" so someone must have messed up the forwarding to the English site :)

DangerStepp

I've decided to upgrade to the 6870 from my current GeForce 9800 GTX+. New Egg has some pretty raw deals going on with the Radeon line.

I was going to fly with the GTX 460, but after reading several reviews and twisting myself up in the confusion that is the GPU market I've decided that I would be getting the best performance for my buck with this line.

Anyone looking into upgrading for Witcher 2 might wanna check it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=radeon_6870_1gb-_-14-161-349-_-Product

I hope that helps anyone looking to make the jump.

Huge thanks to Minsc for his help!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
DangerStepp said:
I've decided to upgrade to the 6870 from my current GeForce 9800 GTX+. New Egg has some pretty raw deals going on with the Radeon line.
Be sure that it will fit in your case.

Exuro

Witcher site not up yet eh? Hopefully Steam updates at the same time as the site release, would like to stat preloading this stuff asap..

Complistic

Salaadin said:
Getting that too. 30 mins ago, it was still the coming soon message.
*crosses fingers for a new trailer*

They said they're going to have a launch trailer so I think it's a safe bet we're about to get one.

Exuro said:
Witcher site not up yet eh? Hopefully Steam updates at the same time as the site release, would like to stat preloading this stuff asap..

They typically do that sort of stuff around noon, don't they?

Salaadin

DangerStepp said:

I was going to fly with the GTX 460, but after reading several reviews and twisting myself up in the confusion that is the GPU market I've decided that I would be getting the best performance for my buck with this line.

Anyone looking into upgrading for Witcher 2 might wanna check it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=radeon_6870_1gb-_-14-161-349-_-Product

I hope that helps anyone looking to make the jump.

Huge thanks to Minsc for his help!

Man I want to upgrade so bad. I really cant wait for the next line of card to be unveiled. By then, my card will be 2 years old and Ill see about upgrading.

Exuro

Complistic said:
They said they're going to have a launch trailer so I think it's a safe bet we're about to get one.

They typically do that sort of stuff around noon, don't they?
I honestly have no idea, last game I preloaded was Portal 2 and I forgot when that was opened uip. All I know is that when Steam updates it better be because of the reload. :p

frogg609

2 questions for this game:

I have the physical copy of the first game. Will I be able to use this save with a Steam copy?

Looking at the Collector's Edition on Amazon, I don't see anything about an art book. Is it not in the US?

Minsc

Gold Member
It's up! 5:30 trailer, haven't watched, bunch of screens and stuff :)

frogg609 said:

I have the physical copy of the first game. Will I be able to use this save with a Steam copy?

Looking at the Collector's Edition on Amazon, I don't see anything about an art book. Is it not in the US?

1) Yes

2) Artbook is the thing from Amazon's picture with the teeth/fangs around the edges behind the image of the bust, I imagine it'd be in all versions...

Edit: It's in the product description too:

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Collector’s Edition Includes; The Vernon Roche Commando Jacket, Making-of DVD, Official Soundtrack, World Map, Art Book, Geralt Sculpture, Temerian Coin, Dice Set, 3 Stickers, Playing Cards and Rulebook, Cursed Coin and Pamphlet, & Two Papercraft Figures + Bonus.

Salaadin

frogg609 said:

Im pretty sure the first game puts ints saves into the same directory regardless of what version you have. The Wither 2 will probably look for that directory and find it...or youll have to point it to the directory. Either way, as long as you have the saves, you should be ok.

As far as the artbook goes, this is the only version to contain it:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CQRCF4/?tag=neogaf0e-20
130 dollar CE. ABout halfway down the page, youll see the artbook listed. Ctrl+F Artbook.

Kyaw said:
Shiiiiiiiiiit. Trailer!
Website still isnt working for me! Youtube version?

Exuro

Not quite what I was expecting but cool nonetheless. Learning about surrounding the Kings is nice. The art style is fantastic. I'm loving the newer Geralt art.

Minsc

Gold Member
Alternate link, it's not what you'd expect, I agree, but still nice. Seeing that map propped up with Geralt and the King discussing stuff in front of it looks great! I have no sound till later, but it's definitely looking awesome!

I don't know if this has been clarified but I emailed GoG the other day in regards to when exactly the digital copies will unlock (I specifically asked about the GoG version) and here's their response.

Hello,

All digital editions of the witcher 2 will be officially released at May
the 17th, 3 AM US West Coast. Downloader should automaticly detect new
files and download them when they are available, but in some cases a
restart of downloader may be needed.

So it looks like we won't be getting it early after all (May 16th 10:00 pm GMT as originally stated).

Hari Seldon

I need to remember to pre-order this tonight on gog.com. I can't force myself to finish Witcher 1 but this game looks much much better.

Salaadin

Gully State said:
I don't know if this has been clarified but I emailed GoG the other day in regards to when exactly the digital copies will unlock (I specifically asked about the GoG version) and here's their response.

So it looks like we won't be getting it early after all (May 16th 10:00 pm GMT as originally stated).

Damnit. Well, I can at least start iup the download before I go to sleep and when I wake up on Tuesday, itll be all done. Then I can install and play a bit before work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom