• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hari Seldon said:
I need to remember to pre-order this tonight on gog.com. I can't force myself to finish Witcher 1 but this game looks much much better.

You really should, even if you use a trainer program to go invincible and have infinite mana. The story really picks up near the end of Chapter 3 and is great from their through the end.

graywolf323

Gully State said:
TF2 Hats....the ultimate preorder bonus...

lol no, I wanted all the benefits of Steamworks integration (cloud saving, etc.) but I also wanted to support the devs and I keep a backup of all my GOG games (DRM free!)

I'd rather spend $90 on The Witcher 2 than $60 on Dragon Age II :p

Minsc

Gold Member
Fox318 said:

I did it too, mainly for the artbook, wasn't as interested in a hardcopy version of the book, so GOG's inclusion of it digitally was perfect. I don't mind sending a little extra support to CDP anyway.

Actually that's probably backwards, I would have gotten it on GOG regardless, but the achievements trump all, so now I'm seeing GOG as secondary to Steam, when in truth, it's the other way around for me. I guess if GOG's version didn't have the art book, I would have only bought it on Steam though, despite preferring a DRM-free GOG version myself.

What is the significance of TF2 Hats?

Sorry... I own TF2 but have never played it (please don't shoot me... I'm not really a multi player gamer - I played the shit outta MW2 multi but that is only because that's the only game my friends play, other than that - they don't play anything else so never had anyone to play with. Now that I've started to build a GAF friendship base I'm more interested in online play) so what do the hats do?

That trailer! ZOMGZ

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Damn, I installed tf2 a day or so ago, but if this is what hats does to your soul then I'm not sure I dare to venture forth.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I ordered the $130 CE, and I stand by it. I have no idea where I'm going to store it, though.

Exuro

ColonialRaptor said:
What is the significance of TF2 Hats?
They don't do anything. It's more of a gotta collect them all thing. The sword should provide some new stats(scout with bleed damage? milk/bleed OPness) But it's all aesthetics to show off in game. Players just love collecting them.

JoeBoy101

Just saw that trailer and loved it. A great synopsis of what I had questions of: the push of the story. Really looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

Kyaw said:
What services and what type of paper do you recommend? I want to do the same thing too.
I'm still looking into it. I will let you know what I find. I have done my own bindings but nothing this intensive so I need to find something not too pricey but still great quality. I'm thinking about doing a nice bas relief carving of the white wolf Emblem. I will contact you about printing when I figure it out what I'm going to do

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
thetrin said:
I ordered the $130 CE, and I stand by it. I have no idea where I'm going to store it, though.

store it? That shit is going on the dinner table.

Polk

S5003411_2.jpg

I
t
came

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
^ fuck

I just did my prepurchase, it's downloading now. 99% of the game will be on my HDD, just let me play it dammit! What diff does 3 days make you jerks.

Anyways, glad I got that taken care of. It's gonna be hard to get into in other games over the weekend knowing that TW2 is on the horizon.

That new story trailer is awesome, though I hope the story remains as personal as the first game, even if it eventually becomes saving the world in the end.

Leonsito

Your order from zavvi has been dispatched and will be with you shortly!

Quantity Title Price Each Estimated Delivery Time
1 The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings (Collectors Edition)

Fuck yeah! I won't have it in the 17th., but it doesn't matter... doesn't... matter... DOESN'T MATTER OK GUYS ??? arggggggggff :(

Minsc

Gold Member
L0st Id3ntity said:
That new story trailer is awesome, though I hope the story remains as personal as the first game, even if it eventually becomes saving the world in the end.

If the title of the game is the plot of the game
Geralt framed
, I don't know how much more personal it can get. :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Corky said:
store it? That shit is going on the dinner table.
That shit is going to BE the dinner table.

Vlodril

So , how spoilerific is the new trailer. I am trying for a blackout but i need a fix , the game just sitting there in my gog downloader drives me nuts :p

thetrin

Vlodril said:
So , how spoilerific is the new trailer. I am trying for a blackout but i need a fix , the game just sitting there in my gog downloader drives me nuts :p
The new trailer just gives background on each of the kingdoms. It also alludes to the set up of the game (and the ending of the first). So...not at all.

Kyaw said:
Trailer here: http://en.thewitcher.com/the-witcher/2/world/video/

Its not too spoilerific, just explaining the details of the Monarchies over the Empire.

I want to assassinate those kings, not protect them! :/

My retailer offers the Ultimate Swordsman Suit pre-order offer; they claim it's exclusively for them. The Nordic Edition also has two additional papercraft, in addition to all the other content in the premium edition.

NTKG3.jpg

• Set of unique items obtainable through a quest early-on during the game.
• Boosts the sword-fighting statistics.
• Noticeable increase of the rare effects’ chance (bleeding, stun, critical hit).
• Especially valuable for players with a sword-master character build.

Minsc said:
If the title of the game is the plot of the game
Geralt framed
, I don't know how much more personal it can get. :)
That would be great, the title is
plural
though. I think the story is going to be about
a sect of unknown assassins (witchers?) who target the kings of the world for unknown reasons, and geralt is to investigate.
I could be way off, but that's what I can deduct from the title.
Vlodril said:
It's fine, it just sets the broad story setting. I doubt any scene from that trailer is from the actual game.

thetrin

Giriath_89 said:
I want to assassinate those kings, not protect them! :/
I'm sure you'll get that choice in Witcher 2.

bengraven

In that new trailer, when they show Radovid (sp?), is that
Adda in the background? Assuming you saved her? I believe she married him at the end of Witcher if you kept her alive

The trailer just covers the monarchs of the northern kingdoms and that Nilfgaard, sort of.

bengraven said:
Adda in the background? Assuming you saved her? I believe she married him at the end of Witcher if you kept her alive

Good eye.
It's kind of hard to tell, the color of the hair of the woman standing to the right of Radovid is really muted. But it should be her, provided you managed to save her in the first game.

Does anybody have any thoughts on using a 360 gamepad? I usually prefer a mouse/keyboard combo. But it seems with realtime actions, the design of the menus, and the fact that they use the pad to demo it might make sense. Anything in the previews indicating any issues with the standard control set up?

Edit: New trailer is great. I assume that is an opening/early CG scene? Seems far too much effort for just a trailer. Biggest problem with 1 for me was the political stuff was just dropped onto you, and you had to (if you cared) figure out the relationships between nations on your own.

bengraven said:
That's Filippa Eilhart, sorceress and advisor to the king.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SerArthurDayne said:
Does anybody have any thoughts on using a 360 gamepad? I usually prefer a mouse/keyboard combo. But it seems with realtime actions, the design of the menus, and the fact that they use the pad to demo it might make sense. Anything in the previews indicating any issues with the standard control set up?

I haven't heard of any issues. It sounds like it is intended to be played with a pad just as much or more than a keyboard.

I'll probably use my pad since I think it might feel better with the combat system but I do prefer KB/M in most situations. Ideally it will let you use both at the same time to I'll just use kb/m for navigating the menus and my pad for all the in-game stuff.

Salaadin

SerArthurDayne said:

I actually think the game is specifically designed with the 360 pad in mind. You can really go KB/M or 360 gamepad.

Exuro

SerArthurDayne said:
They only used a pad to demo it earlier in development. Later demos were shown with kb/m, although I'm not sure why it matters what they demo the game with.

Don't really see why real time actions has to do with controller. In fact when attack you're suppose to "aim" your targets in front of you and using a mouse would be much easier to use than a pad unless attacks are tied to triggers.

The design of the menu's for is made for both inputs. 360 controllers can navigate fairly well while the mouse can still scroll and drag/drop items.

I don't think any previews have said anything about how the 360 controller handles the game so you'll probably have to wait until it releases and try it out yourself.

Come on Steam, give my TF2 items and preload already.

bengraven

I'm actually going to try using the pad. I think W1 would have been great with a pad.

Jay Shadow said:
That's Filippa Eilhart, sorceress and advisor to the king.

Ah, okay. I'm still kind of blind to the new characters - partially on purpose.

Snuggler said:
Ideally it will let you use both at the same time to I'll just use kb/m for navigating the menus and my pad for all the in-game stuff.
It doesn't let you do both at the same time, but the instructions mention that the Insert key will switch to 360 pad. I assume it's a toggle, because a one way switch would be pretty pointless.

Exuro said:
They only used a pad to demo it earlier in development. Later demos were shown with kb/m, although I'm not sure why it matters what they demo the game with.

Don't really see why real time actions has to do with controller. In fact when attack you're suppose to "aim" your targets in front of you and using a mouse would be much easier to use than a pad unless attacks are tied to triggers.

The design of the menu's for is made for both inputs. 360 controllers can navigate fairly well while the mouse can still scroll and drag/drop items.

I don't think any previews have said anything about how the 360 controller handles the game so you'll probably have to wait until it releases and try it out yourself.

Just seems that you would demo with what is most comfortable/useful for simplicity's sake and so you don't get you ass kicked while showing off the game. I didn't realize they switched to keyboard/mouse later. My main concern is probably the 1 to 1 combat makes it seem like a mouse click for each attack might end up a chore compared to a button press system. I hope not. I'll probably just experiment unless I hear impressions pre-release from a review.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Jay Shadow said:
It doesn't let you do both at the same time, but the instructions mention that the Insert key will switch to 360 pad. I assume it's a toggle, because a one way switch would be pretty pointless.

Ah, well that works for me. I guess that probably makes sense for switching the prompts and everything.

Anyways, my preload is complete - I'm just 121mb away from playing TW2. So close, yet so so far. I just wish I could have early access to the OST.

Exuro

SerArthurDayne said:
My main concern is probably the 1 to 1 combat makes it seem like a mouse click for each attack might end up a chore compared to a button press system.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Pressing a gamepad button is less of a chore than pressing a mouse button?

Salaadin said:
Im not sure if this means anything but the combat is inspired partially by Arkham Asylum and that game controlled fine with KB/M
I actually preferred kb/m as the mouse was quicker for turning the camera.

Salaadin

Im not sure if this means anything but the combat is inspired partially by Arkham Asylum and that game controlled fine with KB/M

bengraven

So if it supports the pad, does it support rumble?

andifso, yougetwherei'mgoingwiththis

Jay Shadow said:

Ugh, a lot of games these days let you switch off. Red Faction G and GTAIV come to mind. I actually play GTAIV with the left thumbstick and mouse during firefights. :(

I'd like to be able to use my keyboad/mouse for menus while using the sticks to walk around.

Exuro said:
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Pressing a gamepad button is less of a chore than pressing a mouse button?

I think so, personally. But I guess I did play Diablo, so maybe I'm wrong. Maybe just a mental bias from my early console days, but I think of a button press 1-to-1 as no problem, but constant mouse clicks as something more tedious.

And yes, the obvious advantage of the mouse is precision and quick turns. Not a shooter, so precision isn't a huge deal, but quick turns might be, especially with all the group combat in the trailers.

I get the impression I'll be fine either way, whatever I do. I'll probably just experiment and wait for impressions and see what I prefer.

Exuro

SerArthurDayne said:
I think so, personally. But I guess I did play Diablo, so maybe I'm wrong. Maybe just a mental bias from my early console days, but I think of a button press 1-to-1 as no problem, but constant mouse clicks as something more tedious.
Well you're pressing the button the same amount of times with either, so I don't understand how that would make one more of a chore than the other. This isn't going to play like Diablo where you're clicking like crazy/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom