• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
bender said:
I might see how my 4870 runs Witcher 2 as I wasn't planning on upgrading until Battlefield 3/Diablo 3. I just have a bad feeling though especially with the performance I see in the original. :(
What issues do you have with the original? It can be a bit choppy now and then after playing for a long time (memory leak?), but so far I've been getting 50-80 fps maxed out.
Granted only at 1280x1024 , but with 4xmsaa.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So...probably too technical of a process for me, regardless. Cool. It's a massive upgrade from the 4870 anyway, so I'm okay. Something to look into in the future though.

...important thing is that it'll run TW2 on ultra.

bender

What time is it?
SneakyStephan said:
What issues do you have with the original? It can be a bit choppy now and then after playing for a long time (memory leak?), but so far I've been getting 50-80 fps maxed out.
Granted only at 1280x1024 , but with 4xmsaa.

20-70FPS @ 1920 x1080. It feels extremely choppy. Maybe it's my processor (Q9550)? I really don't want to build another system anytime soon.

antonz

bender said:
20-70FPS @ 1920 x1080. It feels extremely choppy. Maybe it's my processor (Q9550)? I really don't want to build another system anytime soon.
The originals engine was not very well optimizied and could really not take advantage of the extra cores on the cpu. You should perform alot better with Witcher 2 overall as far as stability etc

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
WanderingWind said:
So...probably too technical of a process for me, regardless. Cool. It's a massive upgrade from the 4870 anyway, so I'm okay. Something to look into in the future though.

...important thing is that it'll run TW2 on ultra.
Welcome to the club! The 6950 is a beast of a card. Which one did you get?

Varna

Anyone have a link to the neutral Witcher save posted earlier? Don't think I will be able to finish before Tuesday. :(

Cheech

antonz said:
The originals engine was not very well optimizied and could really not take advantage of the extra cores on the cpu. You should perform alot better with Witcher 2 overall as far as stability etc

Yeah, the Witcher 1 really runs on a pile of shit engine. It only uses one CPU core and a single gig of RAM, regardless of what kind of machine you have.

It DOES benefit from Crossfire/SLI, though. It's not much of a bump, though, at least from the feel of it. I've never run FRAPS or anything to see the difference.

Worth the ride, though. Can't wait until next week to continue the story.

WanderingWind

thetrin said:
Welcome to the club! The 6950 is a beast of a card. Which one did you get?

Uh, the box says MSI Frozr II. So...that one?

EDIT: Okay, where do I drop that save file at? steamapps/common/The Witcher/?

Complistic

WanderingWind said:
Uh, the box says MSI Frozr II. So...that one?

EDIT: Okay, where do I drop that save file at? steamapps/common/The Witcher/?

C:\Users\NAME\Documents\The Witcher\saves

Though I think it might just search your HDD for the saves.

bender

What time is it?
antonz said:

That's fantastic news. Thanks for the replies, everyone is so nice hear. Refreshing change of pace.

Sorry to repeat a question but are all 6950s unlockable? I thought I'd read somewhere that certain cards were not but I could be misremembering. Also, how is the fan noise? Still obnoxiously loud like the 4870?

Exuro

Okay, so new ad on Steam promoting TF2 items and preload tomorrow I'm guessing. I really want the stupid preload to start so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Complistic

Exuro said:
Okay, so new ad on Steam promoting TF2 items and preload tomorrow I'm guessing. I really want the stupid preload to start so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

That seems like a safe bet. He wouldn't answer in that chat that the preload begins "today" if he didn't know steam had a preload.

WanderingWind

dollartaco said:
I have that one. Works great. Unlock the shaders yet?

...I'm not going to try that. According to the internets, that could make my computer catch on fire? Or perhaps gain sentience and try to sleep with my wife? Neither of those prospects sound particularly appealing.

bender said:
That's fantastic news. Thanks for the replies, everyone is so nice hear. Refreshing change of pace.

Sorry to repeat a question but are all 6950s unlockable? I thought I'd read somewhere that certain cards were not but I could be misremembering. Also, how is the fan noise? Still obnoxiously loud like the 4870?

Oi the 4870 isn't loud at all if you have a rev.2 cooler :p

Loudest part of my pc is my psu..

http://www.comptoir-hardware.com/images/stories/_cg/hd4x00/hd4870_sapphire_v2.jpg
dead silent baby, the fan barely has to rev up at all during gameplay.

Try to avoid a stock cooler on a 6950 , as they are indeed loud little bastards with the tiny fan and the funnel exhaust.

Get something with a nice heatpipe design or a vapor chamber design like sapphire and xfx have always had, and the gtx580 now has as well.

Loud cards are obnoxious.

Wallach

WanderingWind said:
...I'm not going to try that. According to the internets, that could make my computer catch on fire? Or perhaps gain sentience and try to sleep with my wife? Neither of those prospects sound particularly appealing.

Yeah, you don't want that. I mean that sucker is almost 11 inches.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
So do we know / think its worth using a save rather than starting from scratch?

I don't have my save for Witcher any more, was on my old computer...

WanderingWind said:

Nah, it's safe. If it doesn't work, you can just flip the BIOS switch on the top of the card and reboot. Seems like 90-95% of cards run just fine, and failures are usually just artifacting.

bender said:

Only the 2gb 6950s are unlockable.

Oh, and the fan noise on mine is fine. YMMV. Lower than my old nV, at least.

Exuro

Original-Blue said:
So do we know / think its worth using a save rather than starting from scratch?

I don't have my save for Witcher any more, was on my old computer...
Well we don't know if it's worth it. Haven't heard how many choices get carried or if they matter but Raven armor carries over in the least. Your current weapons I think do as well.

Varna

Snuggler said:
Neutral, Triss: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EKDCZW6Q
Neutral, Shani: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WQHMT19O

just so you guys know, most of the questions being asked in here are answered in the OP ;)

Thank you. Those weren't in the OP the last time I checked it. :)

Kind of ashamed to admit I couldn't beat part one again. I'm half way through chapter 3 and I just can't do the combat anymore. Plus I've seen and done everything... I'm just going through the motions.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Snuggler said:
Neutral, Triss: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EKDCZW6Q
Neutral, Shani: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WQHMT19O

just so you guys know, most of the questions being asked in here are answered in the OP ;)

Thanks man.

I'm probably going to use these on my second playthrough, since I sided with the non-humans on my first.

Exuro said:

Awesome. I was worried I was going to have to wait until midnight to preload on Steam.

Psi

I hope my humble 5770 is up to the challenge on this game. I have some cash to do some upgrades but I wanted to wait at least until the end of the year around Skyrim time. I've noticed some deals on a GTX 560 but I'd rather wait for something a bit better to fall to the ~$200 range.

Luthos

Exuro said:
Really? That would be nice. Sad to say I still haven't decided between digital and physical, but I've been leaning towards digital. Having an early Steam preload would be nice.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Snuggler said:
OK, the results are in

Corky, will you please come down to the stage? PM me your info and I'll send you the kit.

My condolences to everyone else.

This is soo cool :3 hooray <3<3<3

edit : wait what?! The entire kit?! WHAT?! I thought it was just the tshirt? :O~

dino1980

When I switched to a radeon 6970 I finally got a steady 60fps with 4xMSAA 1080P in Witcher 1. :D

A single 6870 couldnt do the the work, sometimes it dipped down to 40-50FPS.

My indecisiveness!!!

I bought the physical copy to start off with but then I realized I couldn't wait for it to arrive so I cancelled that then bought it from Steam. Thinking that Steam wouldn't get a preload I cancelled that and ordered it from GOG.

Now Steam is getting a preload and I'm still out my $45 I paid for the Steam preorder and I still haven't heard back from support (Steam needs a cancel preorder button for real).

Damn it all hell. Look at what you've done CDPR!

Corky

Johnny2Bags said:
There is NOBODY more deserving of generosity on this forum than you sir...

haha cheers mate :D <3

Offtopic : How's that backlog going ? Cleared anything yet ?

dino1980

toasty_T said:
My indecisiveness!!!

I bought the physical copy to start off with but then I realized I couldn't wait for it to arrive so I cancelled that then bought it from Steam. Thinking that Steam wouldn't get a preload I cancelled that and ordered it from GOG.

Now Steam is getting a preload and I'm still out my $45 I paid for the Steam preorder and I still haven't heard back from support (Steam needs a cancel preorder button for real).

Damn it all hell. Look at what you've done CDPR!

I did the same thing, but bought the game digital from direct2drive and cancelled the game over there on tuesday and bought the game on GOG. They havent responded back to my refund request, and it wasnt easy to contact them either.

dino1980

Is anyone going to really try and beat the game on insanity difficulty settings?

"Die once, die forever"

My first playtrough is gonna be on hard. I want it to be as tough as Demon souls, but im thinking it will not be on hard. And insanity settings is just to insane for me :D

Corky said:
haha cheers mate :D <3

Offtopic : How's that backlog going ? Cleared anything yet ?

I haven't completed many, but recent favorites include just cause2, amnesia (which my g/f loves as well), and i beat both crysis and warhead. I'm thinking about tinkering with the commandos games how do they hold up? Given many more a short try, but still working long hours.. I have 5 days off to dive in to more of the games you have gifted me, as well as the Witcher 2 when it releases! =)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
dino1980 said:
Is anyone going to really try and beat the game on insanity difficulty settings?

"Die once, die forever"

My first playtrough is gonna be on hard. I want it to be as tough as Demon souls, but im thinking it will not be on hard. And insanity settings is just to insane for me :D

I'm thinking about it. But, I just know there is gonna be some cheap boss fight that's going to ruin it for me.

Corky

Johnny2Bags said:
I haven't completed many, but recent favorites include just cause2, amnesia (which my g/f loves as well), and i beat both crysis and warhead. I'm thinking about tinkering with the commandos games how do they hold up? Given many more a short try, but still working long hours.. I have 5 days off to dive in to more of the games you have gifted me, as well as the Witcher 2 when it releases! =)

That's awesome, I sure do love JC2, I never got around to try out the commandos games but I really do believe they hold up visually atleast. Anywhooo, T-minus 4 days hnnnggghh can't wait to play it.

Big-E

Preload is fantastic news for Steam. My shitty Chinese internet usually takes close to two days to download a full game off of steam so I will be ready for launch. Thank you Steam and CD Projekt RED.

Echoplx

Cday said:
Only the GOG version will be available for pre-load.

Only slightly behind on the news... There was an interview in which they stated that Steam might have a pre-load sometime today/tomorrow

Cday

Banned
I hope so. It would make more sense that they originally said that GOG is the only place where you can preload in order to get more pre orders there and still let steam buyers pre load before release so they don't get the shaft over some petty crap.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've never played the Witcher, so should I just go straight in, or consider one of those saves (I have no idea what the difference is between them either)?

Luthos

Cday said:
I hope so. It would make more sense that they originally said that GOG is the only place where you can preload in order to get more pre orders there and still let steam buyers pre load before release so they don't get the shaft over some petty crap.
Agreed. GoG still would have some exclusive digital content, right?

Because I mean it's pretty silly to make pre-loading, of all things, exclusive.

Pancakes

mrklaw said:
I've never played the Witcher, so should I just go straight in, or consider one of those saves (I have no idea what the difference is between them either)?

CD Project has stated that the story in the Witcher 2 is stand-alone and can be enjoyed without playing the first one. However, I would recommend at the very least reading wiki of the story to get a feel for the universe.

Corky said:
That's awesome, I sure do love JC2, I never got around to try out the commandos games but I really do believe they hold up visually atleast. Anywhooo, T-minus 4 days hnnnggghh can't wait to play it.

Got it preloaded on GoG like a trooper =) I'll let you know how it runs. I believe you like myself enjoy the metagame of PC gaming such as running the games at 60 frames a sec. and getting the most juice out of our systems. You'll have to give me your specs again cuz I forgot what you're running with on your new machine?

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Exuro said:

Interesting. I could've sworn one of the interviews mentioned that preloading would be available exclusively for the GOG version. Oh well, this is only a good thing so it's great that they decided to do this.

Now I wonder if the Steam version will also get the early unlock on the 16th.

Corky

Johnny2Bags said:
Got it preloaded on GoG like a trooper =) I'll let you know how it runs. I believe you like myself enjoy the metagame of PC gaming such as running the games at 60 frames a sec. and getting the most juice out of our systems. You'll have to give me your specs again cuz I forgot what you're running with on your new machine?

Yeah it's a slippery slope man, when you figure out that with "just some tweaking" you can increase/affect your performance like crazy.

The important parts of the build :

2600@4.6
SLI 560 ti twin frozr II
8gb ram

edit : I really wish I went for gpus with more ram, even though I only play at 1080p ( I love pcs, 1080p truly is a puny res compared to what you can get ) I really like AA :(

MedIC86

I did not real the whole thread so excuse me if its answered already,
But if i understand correctly this game has no native 16:10 support :/ not sure if im gonna buy then, i hate cropped reso...sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom