• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished the game. Easily one of he best games I've played in the last few years. The world, the characters, the consequences of your choices, all of it was so well realized. I think the thing I appreciated the most was the writing and delivery of dialog, which was surprising because one of my biggest complaints I had with the original was that the voice acting was awkward at times. In the Witcher 2, it felt natural and the characters came off as genuine human beings and not exaggerated cartoons. Dethmold was the only truly over the top character in my mind but I still think he was well done.

All that being said, I was a bit disappointed with the last 30 min or so. The Summit of Mages quest was probably the low point, unfortunately. They tried to tie up lose ends quickly despite the fact that they built up to that point so beatifully throughout the game. Ultimately, chapter 1 and 2 were both much better than the third, especially Chapter 1, which was just so well crafted.

I can't wait for more.

Catshade

This was announced on GOG:

GOG.com is pleased as punch to announce that The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition, developed by sister company CD Projekt RED, will be coming to PC on the 17th of April! Just like when CDP RED updated the original Witcher to The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, this comes with scads of upgrades and extras for you to enjoy. The good news is that anyone who owns The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings before the 17th will receive the upgrade to the Enhanced Edition for free!

In celebration, we’re offering The Witcher 2 on sale for 15% off, starting now, for the next two weeks.

In case you didn’t hear the news from CDP RED, let’s go over what’s new and awesome about the Enhanced Edition:

New major adventures set in new locations. These consist of an underground system of chambers beneath Loc Muine and a temperate coniferous forest in the Loc Muine mountains, and a secret cave passage. These new adventures will add several hours of story-based gameplay to the game.

New major characters to the Witcher story. One of them is Brigida Papebrock Dame. This noble woman comes from the Temerian family Papebrock and is a 30 year old lady-in-waiting of the Temerian court. The other characters are secret--for now!

All new animations and cut scenes, including a new, three and a half minute pre-rendered cinematic depicting the assassination of King Demavend of Aedirn. BAFTA Award winner and Academy Award nominee Tomasz Baginski brings this key historical event to life, setting the stage for the story told in The Witcher 2.

GOG.com will also be adding the Witcher comic book to our list of goodies on the 17th as a free gift to everyone who owns the Witcher 2; further, there will be a new game map, game guide, manual, and soundtrack available in your free goodies on that day as well.

The Witcher 2 is already a game that has won--in scientific notation--a gazillion awards. Come this April 17th, it’s going to get even better!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I guess all the complaints about Chapter 3 feeling too rushed will be addressed by this. Loc Muine is the chp 3 area and all the new content is there.

Can't wait to replay this badboy, still haven't done a Iorveth run.

nataku

Awesome. I'll probably start a second play through once that hits. I did Iorveth the first time, so I'm looking forward to seeing the Roach storyline.

oktarb

Man I'm currently in Chapter 1. Now i have to either stop playing to enjoy Chapter 3 'more' or play it as is.... decisions decisions.

Salaadin

I wonder if the extra stuff is going to have any key decisions that we might want transferred into TW3. I might give the game another replay with all my original choices in tact plus whatever the expansion offers just in case theres something meaty in there that can affect things in the sequel.

Decado

Does The Witcher 2 have texture/model damage like the first game (though I can't recall if that was modded in or was in the retail release)?

Decado

WTF? Why not? That was one of the coolest little features from the last game: You could see how hurt enemies were by how torn up they look and the bleeding effect actually meant they bled. Really surprised about this.

Have they announced whether they are going to offer mod support, ala The Witcher 1?

TheExodu5

Banned
I really wish all of the game looked this good:

uber1.png

It doesn't even make sense to me how good the lighting and dof are in some cutscenes. Unreal.

rouken

I really wish all of the game looked this good:

uber1.png

It doesn't even make sense to me how good the lighting and dof are in some cutscenes. Unreal.

wow, cd projekt are really masters at this.

if they make a new ip, what do you guys think are the best genre for them to take on?

RedSwirl

Is there anywhere in the fiction that gives any indication of the characters' ages? Even the Wiki doesn't really say anything.

On another forum I heard someone say that by the time of TW2 Geralt is actually somewhere near 100 years old and that all sorceresses are essentially ageless. Where's the info on this?

patapuf

in the books mostly.... but as far as i know only the first 2 or 3 are translated in english.

its true that geralt is around a 100 years old.

most sorceresses are the daughters of nobles that couldn't be married off because they were too ugly, so they were given away as aprentices. Though all sorceresses enhance their looks magically and with make up and such, since being hot makes manipulating men easier. Their magic also allows them to live for a long time.

The price for their power is the same the witchers pay, they are infertile.

i don't remember how old Triss is but she is one of the younger sorceresses if i remember correctly. The other witches you encounter in the game are all pretty old. I don't think the exact age of any Witcher/Mage/Sorceress exept Ciri is ever mentioned in the books.

UrbanRats

Picked up my old save to continue the story.
Goddamn i didn't remember it to be this buggy :\
Anyone encountered a bug where it won't let you open the pause screen (i can't save!) with the 360 pad nor with the keyboard? Had to force-quit (ctrl+alt+del) and restart the game 4 times now..

oktarb

Kinda got disillusioned. Here I thought this game was all about being prepared. meditating, drinking potions and setting up your plan.

Why the hell did they just throw me into a fight Letho, my primary target without any warning. I'm trapped in a 20 x 20 room with him. Now I have to grind him to death or restore an earlier save and drink potions. Very jarring. I don't like learning everything through death.

Solo

....or you can just use Yrden to trap him, bombs to lower his shields, Quen to shield yourself, and then smack his ass six ways from Sunday.....

oktarb

....or you can just use Yrden to trap him, bombs to lower his shields, Quen to shield yourself, and then smack his ass six ways from Sunday.....

I agree but I guess I'm just disappointed that I'm forced to fight him on his terms. I mean I spent most of my points into Alchemy. I thought the game made a bullet point out of battle prep. Like the Kayran (Kraken). I spend hours prepping for that battle. Books, traps, anti-poisons ect.

My first encounter with Lethos seems more like a trap door. Not the end of the world, I'll grind him down after dying 10 times and move on.

Kinda got disillusioned. Here I thought this game was all about being prepared. meditating, drinking potions and setting up your plan.

Why the hell did they just throw me into a fight Letho, my primary target without any warning. I'm trapped in a 20 x 20 room with him. Now I have to grind him to death or restore an earlier save and drink potions. Very jarring. I don't like learning everything through death.

Save more often then. If they always telegraphed every fight the game wouldn't be much fun now, would it?

....or you can just use Yrden to trap him, bombs to make him DROP HIS FUCKING GUARD, Quen to shield yourself, and then smack his ass six ways from Sunday.....

Fixed

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I agree but I guess I'm just disappointed that I'm forced to fight him on his terms. I mean I spent most of my points into Alchemy. I thought the game made a bullet point out of battle prep. Like the Kayran (Kraken). I spend hours prepping for that battle. Books, traps, anti-poisons ect.

My first encounter with Lethos seems more like a trap door. Not the end of the world, I'll grind him down after dying 10 times and move on.

Because surely one can never get ambushed, every fight is always premeditated and fair.

Man up and deal with him.

Jtrizzy

Damn, this game is awesome. I just played the tutorial and for another hour or so after that. Just in the last week I've added this, JC2, and Alan Wake to my backlog. This is on sale at Amazon for $15 and I couldn't pass it up.

How do you change the camera view on the PC version? I can't seem to find anything on google or in the manual. Just says "Hit F1" or something but that was for Witcher 1.

Any mods or anything that let me adjust it?

So I'm trying to play this son of a bitch but I can't get it to patch. I've scoured the internet and found surprisingly little conclusive info and have tried pretty much all of it so I'm turning to you guys. Essentially every time I try to use the patcher it gives me "Installed Game version is incomplete or invalid" error. If I try to just run the game it gives me a "application was unable to start correctly" error. Here are the details:

*Steam version on Windows 7
*Tried downloading manually and using the 0>1.3 patch, 1.3>1.35 patch, & the 1.35>2.0 patch. All give me the same error mentioned above.
*1.35>2.0 patch is the only one that actually attempts to work but gets a critical (Game installation directory was not found) error every time during the finishing installation phase.
*tried running the patches from within the Witcher 2 folder within the Steam folder.
*tried running all patches as admin
*deleted all local content (from Steam & documents folder) and redownloaded multiple times also while running Steam in admin mode.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Also, mousing over the Witcher 2 exe shows it's still version 0 even though I'm of the understanding that the Steam version should be at least 1.3 when downloaded.

Perkel

Banned
Some new info from that site

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/Feature...anced-edition-cd-projekt-red-hates-money.aspx

Atomic: If you’ve got returning PC players who’ve played the whole way through The Witcher 2, why would they want to come back and play the Enhanced Edition?

Mateusz: Obviously, because we’ve got all this new content, right? Not only two new quests, which I mentioned earlier, we also have completely remade the epilogue of the game, which is a big thing, in my opinion, because, as I said before, we have added those movies which sum up the choices you make throughout the game.

That part is super interesting. Probably they made it like Fallout new Vegas ending (Or like fallout1 or 2)

excite !

edit:/

actualy it's awasome interview

Atomic: Can you talk to me about any specific feedback that you received from either critics or the community that has helped to shape the Enhanced Edition?

Mateusz: We had, for one, the feedback that the prologue was too hard and that the tutorial we provided that was popping up, was not enough. That was very good feedback. Because now, as you know, we’ve added that. And for the Enhanced Edition, the feedback we had on the forums and from the reviews that act three was too short, that the epilogue was too rushed. So we’ve made act three longer. We have changed the epilogue so that it is more satisfying, right now, I believe.

Salaadin

Thats good news. Not a bad interview, either.
I do wish theyd say something about the boss fights. Theyre easily the low point of the game and I wonder if they addressed it in the EE.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Why am I so hyped to play a game that I already beat twice? These trailers. Damn.

I'm really excited for the EE as well, but I've only done one playthrough. I made it to Flotsam in my Roach run but I decided to hold off until I replay TW1 (done!) and the EE patch comes out. Can't fuckin' wait, it's almost gonna be like playing a new game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom