• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 controls like shit

It also has the best graphics of an RPG, the best world and by far the best expansions of the modern era.

And lol at it only having better "quest design" in your opinion. That's like, the point of a video game.
Best graphics? Lmao. There is more to games than quests, you hear of gameplay? Kind of important. World us very debate able. Graphics lol, horizon and others are far better.

Nothing you mentioned is gameplay related, the most important part of any game.

This thread us about the movement/ mechanics/ animation, not button configs. NAD max controls were fine.

And movement in Mad Max is pretty sluggish and imprecise and the lack of jumping makes me crazy. Button configurations aren't helping either.

Best graphics? Lmao. There is more to games than quests, you hear of gameplay? Kind of important. World us very debate able. Graphics lol, horizon and others are far better.

lol lmao

Sales have zero to do with knowing who didnt like the controls. They are serviceable, no one said they break the game. Mist simple put up with them as the rest of the game is top tier.games that sell a lit can control poorly, see GTA.

That's an opinion, you're stating like it's a fact, and dozens upon dozens of reviews and millions of players have another opinion about the controls, in what world does a game get universal praise for having such a fundamental problem as controls? And now you're saying the controls are serviceable when earlier I was "oblivious" for saying the controls where fine? Which is it? Being ignorant to others opinions doesn't make yours anymore right and theirs any less valid.

Aaron D.

I said Bethesda...not exactly a whole bunch, wither is low tier gameplay wise.

Huh.

I actually enjoy the traversal and combat in Fallout 4. Felt like a legit FPS to me.

Whereas in Witcher 3 these elements stopped me from playing.

Strictly talking about first-person perspective in Fallout, btw. The 3rd person camera has always blown in Bethesda games.

ITT, from what I'm seeing: people complaining about W3 controls are probably people playing on controller @ 30FPS. On the other hand, people who are defending the controls are probably those playing on either KB+M/Controller @ >= 60FPS.

PC here.

Still controls like shit.

Ahasverus

Nothing you mentioned is gameplay related, the most important part of any game.
I'd rather play any Witcher sidequest than any of Horizon's bore fest Killathons.

And please, no RPG holds a candle to 4K Witcher on PC.

That's an opinion, you're stating like it's a fact, and dozens upon dozens of reviews and millions of players have another opinion about the controls, in what world does a game get universal praise for having such a fundamental problem as controls? And now you're saying the controls are serviceable when earlier I was "oblivious" for saying the controls where fine? Which is it? Being ignorant to others opinions doesn't make yours anymore right and theirs any less valid.
I never said anything was fact, the burden of proof is on you to price your claim. Sales figures means nothing unless you think GTA San Andreas was great control and mechanics wise...hint its not.

BadWolf

Yeah I ditched it recently. Boring combat, brain dead gameplay (witcher sense galore) and pretty much fetch quest the game. The controls didn't help.

Nowhere near as good as Dragon's Dogma, MGSV or Horizon in my book.

Zukkoyaki

I wouldn't call the controls or combat shit but they aren't great. I'd call them serviceable, they get the job done but aren't a selling point of the game. Though certain boss enemies are quite fun to fight.

Freeman76

It doesnt control like shit, you are just nit good at playing it.

Always makes me laugh with threads like these, which roughly translates to:

Critically acclaimed masterpiece loved my the overwhelming majority of gaming public is shit because I cant play it properly.

I'd rather play any Witcher sidequest than any of Horizon's bore fest Killathons.

And please, no RPG holds a candle to 4K Witcher on PC.
So now you resort to childish trolling another game because if your witcher love...kind if says it all.I'd rather play a fane with great mechanics/combat/ gameplay. Suit yourself. There are better looking games than witcger on PC.

nelo_inc

I'm playing it on PS4 right now, in the first hours it felt very sluggish and imprecise, maybe still his!

But after a while you kinda don't give it so much attention, but is one of the main issue i have with the game.

Critically acclaimed masterpiece loved my the overwhelming majority of gaming public is shit because I cant play it properly.
Sigh..the game is,easy on hardest difficulty, skill has nothing to do with it lmao. I can play it properly, it is not mechanically well built. They patched it for a reason. You are not some elite gaming God.

Being critically acclaimed means nothing, would you day GTA 3 controls/ plays well? Witched is praised for other reasons, not gameplay.

Teletraan1

Banned
I don't get the "It sold or it was critically praised" defense for anything. So fucking what. GTA3-5 have pretty terrible controls, all reviewed well and sold well. BotW had a poorly told story, just because it reviewed/sold well doesn't change this fact. A game doesn't just bomba or get bad reviews because of one thing it really isn't great at.

ZOONAMI

So now you resort to childish trolling another game because if your witcher love...kind if says it all.I'd rather play a fane with great mechanics/combat/ gameplay. Suit yourself. There are better looking games than witcger on PC.

That's actually pretty debatable, which is amazing for a now 2+ year old game. Maxed at 4k it probably still is the best looking game on PC.

Peroroncino

Lol no, it does writing / quest dedign better, nothing else was great in that game.

I mean shit, writing and quest design alone didn't magically make this game receive the most GotY awards in the history of the gaming industry.

What about characters? Player choice? World? Atmosphere? Pacing? Design? I could go on but something tells me you're already prejudiced to this game judging by some of your reponses in this very thread.

Purest 78

I wouldn't call the controls or combat shit but they aren't great. I'd call them serviceable, they get the job done but aren't a selling point of the game. Though certain boss enemies are quite fun to fight.

I made the mistake of playing TW3 right after Bloodborne which has some of best combat I've ever played. Playing TW3 was a hard pill to swallow after that. I think I'll reinstall TW3 and give it another shot.

Memento

I think the game has an amazing world, narrative and characters, but the controls prevent me enjoying to the fullest all of these aspects.

I mean shit, writing and quest design alone didn't magically make this game receive the most GotY awards in the history of the gaming industry.

What about characters? Player choice? World? Atmosphere? Pacing? Design? I could go on but something tells me you're already prejudiced to this game judging by some of your reponses in this very thread.
Nothing you said I am arguing, what are you even talking about? I loved tw3...get the shield down.I said its praised for those reasons,.

ZOONAMI

Sigh..the game is,easy on hardest difficulty, skill has nothing to do with it lmao. I can play it properly, it is not mechanically well built. They patched it for a reason. You are not some elite gaming God.

Being critically acclaimed means nothing, would you day GTA 3 controls/ plays well? Witched is praised for other reasons, not gameplay.

It's not easy until you level up and become Geralt the God though. You can also change a setting to have enemies scale to your level, always. It's not easy on the hardest difficulty for the vast majority of the game, especially with that option on.

Peroroncino

Nothing you said I am arguing, what are you even talking about? I loved tw3...get the shield down.I said its praised for those reasons,.

yeah, the 'nothing else was great in that game' sure didn't sound like it, but ok, if you wanna back down on what you said don't let me stop you now.

UrbanRats

Yeah I ditched it recently. Boring combat, brain dead gameplay (witcher sense galore) and pretty much fetch quest the game. The controls didn't help.

Nowhere near as good as Dragon's Dogma, MGSV or Horizon in my book.

Combat aside, i found everything else in Horizon pretty horrible, and even the combat wasn't that amazing, against anything but dinos.

Plus complaining about fetch quests in Witcher 3, and then mentioning Dragon's Dogma, and Witcher Sense, and then saying Horizon? I mean, they are way worse offenders.

Witcher doesn't really have that many throw away or fetch quests, unless you refer to treasure hunts.

Ahasverus

Yeah following that witches sense every time. And watch geralts clunky sane animations are why witcher reviewed so well lol.
What about spamming endless arrows at Bayformers is better?

We gotta accept games have a gameplay loop. The Witcher shines because it's able to accommodate its "simple" Mechanic into hundreds of unique situations.

Ralemont

not me
It has the best quests in the business because they're fun to play.

Firstly, it doesn't. Fallout: New Vegas does. Witcher 3's quests are notable because of good writing, but following a red line to the next objective of a quest isn't good quest design. In fact, Witcher 3 routinely has very poor quest design, bouyed by good writing and a pretty good C&C system.

Freeman76

Keep telling yourself that.

What about spamming endless arrows at Bayformers is better?

We gotta accept games have a gameplay loop. The Witcher shines because it's able to accommodate its "simple" Mechanic into hundreds of unique situations.
That isn't horizons gameplay loop, norcwoyld you last long. You can troll any game and reduce it to spamming buttons, but its clear a sensible conversation about witched/horizon us impossible.

c0Zm1c

ITT, from what I'm seeing: people complaining about W3 controls are probably people playing on controller @ 30FPS. On the other hand, people who are defending the controls are probably those playing on either KB+M/Controller @ >= 60FPS.

There is a world of difference between the two, especially in a game where Geralt's movements are unnatural at times. It's impossible to do apples-to-apples comparison when you aren't including platform/framerate in your comparisons. Not to mention, one of those platforms also has access to mods that help with the controls by a significant amount that people may be overlooking.

So it would help a significant amount if people were to give more information as to what platform they are playing on.

This is definitely a factor for me. Not necessarily framerate though, because on my PC system it often goes below 60fps, but I generally find these games to control better with keyboard and mouse anyway. Apart from Roach's sporadic movement it plays completely fine and, from the get-go, the combat was one of my favourite things about The Witcher 3.

UrbanRats

I'm playing at 60fps, true, but on a controller.

Combat isn't great, but it's serviceable, though with alternate options, the controls are perfectly fine, i really don't get the opinions of some people here.

Then again, the input lag in Bloodborne seems to not bother a lot of folks, and it was almost a deal breaker for me, so to each their own.

There is a whole bunch of games that control worse and have worse combat. Big ones being Bethesda games and FFXV for example.

Witcher 3 is middle of the road when it comes controls and combat. Serviceable and competent ,but not exactly amazing.(like Bloodborne)

Admittedly, there is room for improvement and thats ok.

I disagree. At least I am having fun playing the game when I am playing FFXV or Fallout 4.

yeah the sales argument doesn't fly....Dragon's dogma which has the rpg combat ever and controls very well didn't sell that greatly

darksiders 2 which is one of the best from the west in terms of rpg combat and controls didn't sell that well either

I love gta 5 and the game has sold like 80 million copies but it still controls like poopy

bathsalts

They're serviceable, perhaps an another thread you can put up after finishing the game is "The writing in Horizon: Zero Dawn & MGSV are complete shit"

LukeA

Neo Member
A lot of people have mentioned that patch that provides an alternative control style. I found that to be just as bad.

It's a real shame. I feel like Witcher 3 would absolutely be for me but I simply can't put up with the controls.

Top Bottom