• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 controls like shit

yeah the sales argument doesn't fly....Dragon's dogma which has the rpg combat ever and controls very well didn't sell that greatly

darksiders 2 which is one of the best from the west in terms of rpg combat and controls didn't sell that well either

I love gta 5 and the game has sold like 80 million copies but it still controls like poopy
Of course it doesnt, I'm shocked someone tried to use the sales excuse.

m29a

Neo Member
I'm playing at 60fps, true, but on a controller.

Combat isn't great, but it's serviceable, though with alternate options, the controls are perfectly fine, i really don't get the opinions of some people here.

Then again, the input lag in Bloodborne seems to not bother a lot of folks, and it was almost a deal breaker for me, so to each their own.

Totally agree with you. Combat isn't great but it's fine. And some think the alternative option barely does anything? It absolutely does, if you've tried it. People can harp on the controls all they want, but for me, the game had mostly incredible writing/quests/characters to keep me going. Admittedly I am the type who cares more about story compared to gameplay. I'll happily play on the easiest difficulty to get to the story quicker (like I did with Witcher 3).

UrbanRats

Totally agree with you. Combat isn't great but it's fine. And some think the alternative option barely does anything? It absolutely does, if you've tried it. People can harp on the controls all they want, but for me, the game had mostly incredible writing/quests/characters to keep me going. Admittedly I am the type who cares more about story compared to gameplay. I'll happily play on the easiest difficulty to get to the story quicker (like I did with Witcher 3).

In an rpg, story should be a very important pillar.
More than combat in my opinion.

thelastword

Banned
Yeah, absolutely OP, the combat is also pretty poor, but I guess the story, quests and openworld tried to make you persist...I think if the game was harder with these controls and combat it would not have reviewed so well....So instead of people just defending a poor part fo the game, they should probably encourage the devs to improve there, because if another Witcher game comes out with such a fault, it won't fare as well...

I dunno about that, everything about an RPG. The skills, level up, quests, you fight more than anything else. Everything is built around fighting and getting more powerful at it. Gameplay is always vital RPG or not. Story is more important in an RPG though, but more than gameplay? I would never go that far.its what makes games, video games.

Jarate

Banned
The combat can be really good at times actually

as someone who didnt like the combat and movement to begin with, go with the alternative control scheme with a controller. Makes everything feel much more nice.

It feels weird to make minute movements, but it feels like Red Dead or other Rockstar games in movement.

ITT, from what I'm seeing: people complaining about W3 controls are probably people playing on controller @ 30FPS. On the other hand, people who are defending the controls are probably those playing on either KB+M/Controller @ >= 60FPS.

There is a world of difference between the two, especially in a game where Geralt's movements are unnatural at times. It's impossible to do apples-to-apples comparison when you aren't including platform/framerate in your comparisons. Not to mention, one of those platforms also has access to mods that help with the controls by a significant amount that people may be overlooking.

So it would help a significant amount if people were to give more information as to what platform they are playing on.

Hey guys, don't tell him this, but when I got the Witcher 3 for my PC I played with a 30 fps lock and I enjoyed the combat still. I also used a controller on PC.

Rellik

How would I know of this? I didnt even know there was a alternative control scheme. Even if I did I would thought the default one is the better option anyway.

Do people seriously not check the settings in their games? It's the first thing I do.

thelastword

Banned
No, RPG's are not a new genre....There have been so many great RPG's that have nailed both, it's also not the first witcher game, so this is no excuse. Story and combat are equally important in an RPG.....Playing through a 100hr game becomes a delight when you know the combat and controls are ace...

DemWalls

Ah, the usual thread that makes me think that the console version of TW 3 really must be tragic. Too bad I've never even seen it, let alone played it.

Said it a million times before but I've never had a problem with the controls or combat in Witcher 3, especially the Alternative control method. It might not have the best controls ever but it's more than fine. Playing on a 360 controller, on PC at 60fps+ really helps too, as the controls are more responsive than at 30fps.

With how some people bang on about it being terrible, I'm guessing some people never played Witcher 1 and 2 because Witcher 3's controls feel like Bloodborne in comparison.

No, RPG's are not a new genre....There have been so many great RPG's that have nailed both, it's also not the first witcher game, so this is no excuse. Story and combat are equally important in an RPG.....Playing through a 100hr game becomes a delight when you know the combat and controls are ace...
Exactly, combat is crucial in any RPG. Gameplay is always vastly important.

galv

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, don't tell him this, but when I got the Witcher 3 for my PC I played with a 30 fps lock and I enjoyed the combat still. I also used a controller on PC.

Sure, but I have a feeling that you're in the minority - especially if you're comparing between PC players who are more likely to drop settings/resolution to be able to play at 60FPS. The Witcher 3 is one of the best games of all time despite its gameplay, which is one hell of an achievement in itself.

Jarate

Banned

This game has far and away a better combat, and deeper combat then any other AAA WRPG that I can think of. The only one I think I liked more was Fallout 4, but they stripped a shit ton of WRPG elements as well when making that game.

It's hard to make a content rich game and make everything perfect. The Witcher 3 is definately not Dark Souls, but at least it's not Skyrim.

Because it controls poorly.

Minute movements are difficult, but I disagree that it controls poorly. It's decent, but it's definately not the best.

Sure, but I have a feeling that you're in the minority - especially if you're comparing between PC players who are more likely to drop settings/resolution to be able to play at 60FPS. The Witcher 3 is one of the best games of all time despite its gameplay, which is one hell of an achievement in itself.

Don't gatekeep. Not everyone who enjoyed this game played on PC at 60 FPS.Many played on console, and many players dont have good PC's. Your experiences are different then a whole slew of people. You can sya "maybe you'd enjoy the controls at 60 fps on a M+KB instead" but claiming it's the only way to experience the game is silly.

The mechanics in general are poorly implemented. The combat animations are played out randomly, so you never really know when Geralt will decide to waste a second to spin around before he actually attacks. There's little to no hit reaction/feedback. Collision detection is all over the place (just try and get a headshot with the crossbow lol).

The game uses a number of blend animations on the default control scheme that make geralt turn with more speed transitions. Turning that off by using "alternative controls" improves responsiveness at 30fps or with a controller presumably.

There's a noteworthy drop in animation priority when switching over to alternative controls, but it's still not great or ideal.

Ah, the usual thread that makes me think that the console version of TW 3 really must be tragic. Too bad I've never even seen it, let alone played it.

I played it both on the PC and PS4. The game's flaws are inherent and unrelated to the platform. That said, playing it at 60fps definitely improves responsiveness (as with every other game out there).

Oynox

Loved the standard controls, hated the alternative ones. The latter made the game so "gamey" and destroyed much of my immersion due to the immediate movements.

This game has far and away a better combat, and deeper combat then any other AAA WRPG that I can think of. The only one I think I liked more was Fallout 4, but they stripped a shit ton of WRPG elements as well when making that game.

It's hard to make a content rich game and make everything perfect. The Witcher 3 is definately not Dark Souls, but at least it's not Skyrim.

Minute movements are difficult, but I disagree that it controls poorly. It's decent, but it's definately not the best.
Be hahaha...you joking? Horizon has far better combat, mechanics for one. As does mass effect, and numerous others.

Other than Bethesda , name a game that plays worse?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

?

It's pretty damn good since they fixed the performance. The game not having very responsive controls (which is a fact - and I love the game) has nothing to do with what platform it's being played on.

I got the GOTY edition in a deal a few months back and I just gave up after an hour, if that. Just the thought of playing a game that big that played that bad.... I just can't.

Tight, enjoyable controls are the baseline of what you should be going for as a game designer imo - at least for 3D action games. If you don't have that, I don't care how good the story is.

I got the GOTY edition in a deal a few months back and I just gave up after an hour, if that. Just the thought of playing a game that big that played that bad.... I just can't.

Tight, enjoyable controls are the baseline of what you should be going for as a game designer imo - at least for 3D action games. If you don't have that, I don't care how good the story is.
Not enough Deva are good at it, it always should be a top priority.

I was afraid of this, it kept me from playing for a long time. Glad I finally did. Thought the complaints were greatly exaggerated.

Nezacant

Yeah I don't really get why so many seem to hate on TW3 controls. Seemed fine to me on PC. Is the console version controls different?

To me, it felt like there was natural momentum to Geralt's movement. It may have taken a little time to get used to, but I got used to it pretty quickly. When they patched in the alternate control method, I didn't like it. The movement felt... weird and artificial. Just my 2 cents.

Artdayne

Because it controls poorly.

All of the Witcher 3 shit posters on Neogaf:

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

Memento

They're serviceable, perhaps an another thread you can put up after finishing the game is "The writing in Horizon: Zero Dawn & MGSV are complete shit"

MGS5 writing is bad I agree, but Horizon writing is great. John Gonzalez is awesome.

The combat can be really good at times actually

as someone who didnt like the combat and movement to begin with, go with the alternative control scheme with a controller. Makes everything feel much more nice.

It feels weird to make minute movements, but it feels like Red Dead or other Rockstar games in movement.

So like shit too?

I love Rockstar games but they are probably the AAA dev with the worst controlling open world games out there.

I will try later the alternative control scheme but with your Rockstar comparasion and with some people in this thread saying it doesnt change anything I am getting disappointed already :/

Edit: and now there are people saying the alternative control scheme is worse than the default one. I am scared now.

Blam

Oh yeah, horse controls are awful as well. I found myself avoiding riding it because of how bad it is. But then again it is not like Geralt controls are much better...

I actually stopped playing the game entirely because of the movement system. I couldn't believe such a highly praised game had a movement system akin to the cars in GTA IV

Jarate

Banned
Be hahaha...you joking? Horizon has far better combat, mechanics for one. As does mass effect, and numerous others.

Other than Bethesda , name a game that plays worse?

Mass Effect 1 & 2 did not play all that well imo, or control all that well. Remember about combat design. The Witcher 3 has excellent combat design where you have to prepare before fighting an enemy, but the constant drowner and bandit fight aren't all that interesting. (Fodder in RPGs don't tend to be.)

Horizon does have better combat, but the little I was able to play it, the story, voice acting, character movements and attention to detail were all not nearly as good.

I never played Andromeda or 3. Andromeda came out after the Witcher 3, so it's hard to compare.

Mass Effect 1 & 2 did not play all that well imo, or control all that well. Remember about combat design. The Witcher 3 has excellent combat design where you have to prepare before fighting an enemy, but the constant drowner and bandit fight aren't all that interesting. (Fodder in RPGs don't tend to be.)

Horizon does have better combat, but the little I was able to play it, the story, voice acting, character movements and attention to detail were all not nearly as good.

I never played Andromeda or 3. Andromeda came out after the Witcher 3, so it's hard to compare.
You dont have to prepare, thats the issue, its too easy and not deep enough. Even on death march. The same few attack animations are poor.it really needs changes for the next game, as everything else about it is stellar. Its better than witcher 1 though .

The voice acting in horizon is very good, better than most of the witchers bad accents, but the quests and writing arent as good but what Is?

Jarate

Banned
So like shit too?

I love Rockstar games but they are probably the AAA dev with the worst controlling open world games out there.

I will try later the alternative control scheme but with your Rockstar comparasion and with some people in this thread saying it doesnt change anything I am getting disappointed already :/

Edit: and now there are people saying the alternative control scheme is worse than the default one. I am scared now.

There's much more that goes into combat design besides just movement. Im not saying that you are forced to like something, but just remember, we are both talking about games that have sold several million copies.

idk, I think the problems are heavily over exaggerated. It's not the best, but it shouldnt get int the way like you gys make it out to be

You dont have to prepare, thats the issue, its too easy and not deep enough. Even on death march. The same few attack animations are poor.it really needs changes for the next game, as everything else about it is stellar. Its better than witcher 1 though .

I had to prepare for certain fights, and I played on equivalent "medium" settings.

UrbanRats

I dunno about that, everything about an RPG. The skills, level up, quests, you fight more than anything else. Everything is built around fighting and getting more powerful at it. Gameplay is always vital RPG or not. Story is more important in an RPG though, but more than gameplay? I would never go that far.its what makes games, video games.
I didn't say gameplay, I said combat.
Gameplay is more than combat, and I think the mediocre element in W3 is combat, not gameplay.

MartyStu

Lol no, it does writing / quest dedign better, nothing else was great in that game.

-Music is Fantastic
-Very Good Art direction
-Very Good scene direction
-Fantastic voice work
-One of the most believably designed open worlds

And that's off the top of my head.

The reason why controls and combat are often the main points of criticism about the game is that they are among its very few undisputed weaknesses.

DemWalls

I played it both on the PC and PS4. The game's flaws are inherent and unrelated to the platform. That said, playing it at 60fps definitely improves responsiveness (as with every other game out there).
?

It's pretty damn good since they fixed the performance. The game not having very responsive controls (which is a fact - and I love the game) has nothing to do with what platform it's being played on.

I understand not liking how Geralt animates, the combat (some hitboxes are poor, there's no denying that)... anything, really. But from my experience I would never call the controls "unresponsive". Geralt does exactly what I want to, when I want him to. And I played it at 30 FPS, since my rig is pretty old by now.

Sjefen

100% agreed OP, Witcher 3 could have been one of best games but controls are just bad compared to Horizon and MGSV. Controlling Geralt didnt feel good at all, sometimes I didnt feel I controlled him at all and that broke the emersion.

Edit ; Just found this video on Youtube, fuck didnt even know there was a setting for changing controls, now I want to play Witcher 3 again...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=agjn3O1Unrw

UrbanRats

No they arent, not for me.

Horizon had good combat and I dropped it because it failed in those things W3 did well (story and world building).

W3 had mediocre combat, but I have 300+ hours on it.

Then again I love Dragons Dogma, though that game does get tedious with its open world elements.

adversarial

I never understood these threads and the hate for its movement. Never had any issues controlling Geralt. However, it is the GOAT so it's only natural, I suppose.

UrbanRats

OK than combat is crucial. The entire game is built around it, heck its his profession. ItS the single thing you do mire than anything else.
You walk around and talk to people more than anything, two areas in which W3 is excellent.
Combat isn't great, as I said, but it's serviceable.
Good enough to support the great parts of the game.

Dremorak

Banned
Especially after playing open world games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Metal Gear Solid 5, which controls like heaven, The Witcher 3 feels like a fucking chore.

Just walking around is a suffering activity. And the animations are so poor. Not even going to discuss combat, but you can be sure it is not highly regarded for the most part because of the terrible controls.

It is such a pitty, because I want to experience the world and the story, but Jesus Christ, everytime I have to walk it is so slugish and bad.
I agree, also I think it looks like shit. But I know no one here will agree with me.

nelo_inc

-Music is Fantastic
-Very Good Art direction
-Very Good scene direction
-Fantastic voice work
-One of the most believably designed open worlds

And that's off the top of my head.

The reason why controls and combat are often the main points of criticism about the game is that they are among its very few undisputed weaknesses.

Agree.The world is very well designed and exceptionally recreated.

But not perfect, and Geralt movement is very sluggish even in combat.

ITT, from what I'm seeing: people complaining about W3 controls are probably people playing on controller @ 30FPS. On the other hand, people who are defending the controls are probably those playing on either KB+M/Controller @ >= 60FPS.

There is a world of difference between the two, especially in a game where Geralt's movements are unnatural at times. It's impossible to do apples-to-apples comparison when you aren't including platform/framerate in your comparisons. Not to mention, one of those platforms also has access to mods that help with the controls by a significant amount that people may be overlooking.

So it would help a significant amount if people were to give more information as to what platform they are playing on.

Controls are shite in any platform. It's been Witcher's achilles heel since the first game. I mean it has mod to make the controls better! Combat is also one of the worst parts of the game. Of course it's not bad enough to take away from the brilliance of the writing overall quality of the game.

Artdayne

The voice acting in horizon is very good, better than most of the witchers bad accents, but the quests and writing arent as good but what Is?

Could you expand on that. What do you mean you don't have to prepare? If your argument is that you can just spam Quen and light attack, I don't consider that a real argument because there are many games which most people consider to have much better combat systems that do not require you to utilize most of the options that they give you.

It's much more beneficial to you to use signs, to use oils, bombs, potions, read the bestiary so that you know what enemies are vulnerable to. It's worth your time to gather the ingredients for better oils, potions and bombs. At a certain point you definitely outscale the content of Death March, towards the back half of Act 1 I think (to be fair Act 1 is by far the longest act). But then Hearts of Stone ramps up the difficulty again.

So, could you spam light attack and Quen and power through 95% of the content? Yeah. But it wouldn't surprise me that if you're not using all the tools that you don't find the combat very interesting. It has its flaws, though as a real time action RPG system I think it does better than most outside of like Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls. It has far more interesting melee combat than Horizon as well, which I understand is not the focus of Horizon but I simply have very little interest in bow combat.

Lanf

Said it a million times before but I've never had a problem with the controls or combat in Witcher 3, especially the Alternative control method. It might not have the best controls ever but it's more than fine. Playing on a 360 controller, on PC at 60fps+ really helps too, as the controls are more responsive than at 30fps.

With how some people bang on about it being terrible, I'm guessing some people never played Witcher 1 and 2 because Witcher 3's controls feel like Bloodborne in comparison.

I wanted to type out an eloquent response, but this pretty much nails it.

Top Bottom