• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Gwent |OT| The original cardgame from Ancient Poland

Decoy's been my favorite card so far, though I don't have many considering I'm only up to Velen at the moment.

Allows you to easily get a hand advantage over the AI and gives you a lot of flexibility in the first one or two rounds.

I'm terrible at it the few times I tried. But it was mainly down to me not knowing that I could run out of cards by the end and trying to overdo the first rounds.

It's a neat game though, I like it. I could totally see this becoming a fully fledged spinoff later on with online MP and everything

Chariot

Decoy's been my favorite card so far, though I don't have many considering I'm only up to Velen at the moment.

Allows you to easily get a hand advantage over the AI and gives you a lot of flexibility in the first one or two rounds.
I love that one too. Uae it on medics and spies. Especially with a medic you can just sacrify poweful cards in the first round and bring them back.

Anfang

gwent is hard.

Just need a few cards. Ive managed a decent northern deck just doing the velen quest and making sure to hit up all the townspeople there. Still have several towns I havent visited as well. Spies and medics are youre friend

Ghost23

Wait, so I'm screwed on the achievement because I didn't buy the Foltest card? I'm not starting over, but I hate permanently missing things like this, especially when they don't mention that you can't buy it again.

BokehKing

Banned
My experience with this game is always like

'I think I'm going to win, I got higher #''s all around'

Then I lose everytime, enough times for me to never play gwent again

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Wait, so I'm screwed on the achievement because I didn't buy the Foltest card? I'm not starting over, but I hate permanently missing things like this, especially when they don't mention that you can't buy it again.

what, someone explain?

Chariot

I think there is a possiblity that you can get the card anyways. Not sure how, but somebody said that the card may appear again.

what, someone explain?
Inn keep at the beginning in White Orchad is selling cards. Most are just lame commons, but one is a Foltest leader card. After a certain something she leaves and never comes back, making it impossible to buy the card from her. However I think somebody said that you can buy it somewhere again.

knitoe

I love Gwent. All I do spend all my money on cards and going around towns / villages / cities trying to find merchants / smiths to play. At this point, it's almost impossible for me to lose with the cards I have.

Peff

What does the Foltest card do? Because if it's the one that doubles the artillery value you can get it from winning against the tutorial guy.

Malreyn

Been playing a bit of gwent and encountered some monster cards that persist through matches, which is a problem when you are forced to burn most of your cards first round

Lashley

Been playing a bit of gwent and encountered some monster cards that persist through matches, which is a problem when you are forced to burn most of your cards first round

Yeah its fucking hard

they always seem to be able to draw more cards from their deck too

Ghost23

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before someone discovers a deck that is straight up OP since the game most likely isn't balanced. Any consensus on the best faction to play as?

carlsojo

I feel like if your opponent has a spy card and you don't, or don't have a healer to resurrect the spy they use, you're pretty unlikely to win from just plain not having enough cards.

JJD

CDPR biggest crime isn't the downgrade. Is not making a matchmaking system for Gwent so when can play against people online. This is as good as the old FF card game, if not better.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
CDPR biggest crime isn't the downgrade. Is not making a matchmaking system for Gwent so when can play against people online. This is as good as the old FF card game, if not better.

I would never finish the story if this was implemented. Holy crap

Lashley

(not me)

3gTKybx.jpg

frontovik

Banned
It's pretty fun! Kudos to CDPR for designing it and not releasing it as a standalone game. It's certainly more entertaining than dice poker.

I'm more focused on collecting Gwent cards than doing quests right now :p

edit: In regards to the screenshot with the stacked monster deck, I finally won against the fellow after several tries.
You'd have to know when to pass and let him waste most of his cards in one round.

Damaniel

Banned
I still cant figure this game out. I try to pass and it will not let me, so I put all cards down, then to end round I have to use leader card, but that leaves me no cards for the next rounds so I lose.

I think you have to hold down the pass button until the timer completes in order to pass. On my controller, that button is Y - I just hold it down for like 2-3 seconds and that works fine.

Chariot

Yeah, but then I just find it weird that the OP says: "Every deck has to have at least 30 cards". The only restriction is 22 unit cards minimum.
Oh yeah, my bad. Need to change that.

I feel like if your opponent has a spy card and you don't, or don't have a healer to resurrect the spy they use, you're pretty unlikely to win from just plain not having enough cards.
Not necessary. You can counter with the right cards, like weather or acid and such. A lot of cards don't mean instant win.

Maybe the matchmaking was... DOWNGRADED?!

Skyzard

Banned
Is the crashing with the card game limited to PS4? I avoided playing it on PC as I was reading tonnes of reports about it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
My strategy is usually spam shitty cards in first round, or try and take it if you can, then win the second easily and go all out on the third. The biggest issue with the game is the starting deck is terrible and makes the game so much harder.

Tried it out on a whim in between quests. Thought it wasn't half bad so decided to give hearthstone a shot as I had never any interest in card games before. Haven't touched Witcher 3 since. God dammit.

bombshell

How can you tell who wants to play Gwent? So far I've only found the tutorial guy in the first inn and the guy in Vizima (because there was an exclamation mark).

Chariot

How can you tell who wants to play Gwent? So far I've only found the tutorial guy in the first inn and the guy in Vizima (because there was an exclamation mark).
Ask them. Usually merchants, inn keeps and blacksmiths are a pretty good bet. Every other gwent player has a unique name, so just talk to people with a name. Since the ordinary pleb don't talk to you anways, jsut run around pushin talk to everyone until you hit :D

I say: talk to the Bloody Baron and defeat him, then he will reveal a few of the local gwent masters.

Top Bottom