• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Gwent |OT| The original cardgame from Ancient Poland

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
How can you tell who wants to play Gwent? So far I've only found the tutorial guy in the first inn and the guy in Vizima (because there was an exclamation mark).

I think all the merchants in Velen map play. It's a dialogue option so you just have to talk to people.

Ultimadrago

2015-05-20_0003962zz8.jpg

Yes, I lost this game.

You have to hold the button (or key) down for a few seconds to pass. I missed that the first few times, but there's one of those circular bar things that fills up on the left of the screen as you hold the button (don't know what you call those. The same thing you see when you dismount your horse).

Wow completely didnt realize that, I kept pressing circle I think and was like this isn't doing anything.

I went from gaming on a 60" TV to a 24" monitor so my eyes must've missed that.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Apparently you can find that innkeeper from White Orchid later but she doesnt sell the cards anymore :(

Trickster

Gwent so far has been extremely easy to win by doing the following the majority of the time:

Loose first round, keep playing your weakest cards, and then after doing this 1-3 rounds, play any spies you have. That way you end up with 9-10 cards while your opponent only has 5-7. Really damn hard to lose with that card advantage unless you are absolutely atrocious at any kind of tactical thinking

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do we know how many cards the game has in total? I'd hate to finish the game and realise I missed a few since my desire to go searching for them would probably drop like a rock. "Well, I could go find them... but I'm done with the story, so what's the point?"

Chariot

I think he literally had acid and freezing cold as his two cards left.
Harsh. But that shows how games can be turned when you keep your cards close.

Do we know how many cards the game has in total? I'd hate to finish the game and realise I missed a few since my desire to go searching for them would probably drop like a rock. "Well, I could go find them... but I'm done with the story, so what's the point?"
TMC posted a list earlier: http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/witcher-3-gwent-cards-list/

Vico

Just coming here to say that this is really really fun and addictive. I actually hope they expand on it for the expansion packs, like for exemple being able to play up to 3 rounds to win, or something like that.

I've never had a tie, though.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Man if there was like specific tavern or something in a specific city that acted as an online lobby for Gwent.......

I can't believe how awesome this game is. I used to be petrified of going against Monster decks, but now I know it's just about dragging out the first round and losing it so they have nothing left for the next two.

Really hope they release a physical edition of Gwent once they're happy it's fine-tuned enough =D

Chariot

Steam Achievement says:

"Acquire all gwent cards available in the base version of the game."

Which gives me a lot of hope that a DLC will bring more gwent cards. Hope they make gwent dedicated DLC, like some of the Yugioh videogames.

Steam Achievement says:

"Acquire all gwent cards available in the base version of the game."

Which gives me a lot of hope that a DLC will bring more gwent cards. Hope they make gwent dedicated DLC, like some of the Yugioh videogames.

Lots more free DLC packs waiting to be announced =D

SxP

Played my first game outside of White Orchard, lost in a terrible manner. I won the first round, he was winning the second round but had no cards left. I had one card left, a spy. So, naturally, I pass and play the Spy in round 3. Almost guaranteed to win, right? And then I get two weather cards... What a way to lose.

zonezeus

I quickly looked at the card list and it says the innkeeper at the Crossroads should have 3 Nilfgaard cards, yet I played him and got only one and I think he doesn't sell any of them. Can you play the same NPC multiple times for various cards or do you only get one of them randomly?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Doing a lot better now by just making them play as many cards in round 1 as possible then going all ham in round 2 and 3

RedAssedApe

Banned
The second gwent player (courtyard where you meet the emperor) I ran in to wiped the floor with me. Wtf. Difficulty just increased exponentially. His deck was so much can better than mine. Or I just don't know how to play...

Regardless I want my 15 gold back! Lol

Chariot

Free DLC - Online Gwent

Make it so
Heck, make it payed DLC. I wouldn't mind.

Gwent was a pleasant surprise. I hadn't heard of it at all before I encountered it in-game.
I saw it in Angry Joe's gameplay video and that realyl got me. It was the special thing that drove me over the edge.

A Gaffer had already gifted me the game, but it pushed me to buy the new graphics card.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gwent DLC is definitely in, given one of the cfg files has the entry dlc_gwent_cards=false

Stoze

I really like Gwent, but the the collectible aspect is kinda screwed when the first innkeeper you meet who sells a unique card dissapears from the game. Having the quest sitting there is forever going to be messing with my video game OCD in this game.

I don't care about the achievement or trophy. I just wanted to collect them all, like you know, the name of the fucking quest. I still have some magical hope that I'll be able to buy it somehow, but I doubt it.

parabolee

Just played my first REAL game of Gwent with the cards from the Collectors Edition. Cards are really nice too.

Awesome. Was really easy to teach someone how to play too.

Chariot

jeYhl68.png

Yup, good call. Borrowed the shading from the cape.
I like what you did with the hair, but his face still looks weird, I don't know if we need a better shot or if that just won't work at all.

Just played my first REAL game of Gwent with the cards from the Collectors Edition. Cards are really nice too.

Awesome. Was really easy to teach someone how to play too.
Damn, do they sale the cards extra?

How can you tell who is the 'top player' in a region?
The other better players will talk highly of him or her or wil lstraight up tell you that he or she is the strongest player in the region.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I like what you did with the hair, but his face still looks weird, I don't know if we need a better shot or if that just won't work at all.

The challenge here comes from the fact that Yugi's head is ridiculously disproportionate. I'd be curious to see how others would tackle it. That 3/4 portrait from the box art was the best fit I could come up with. Could maybe scale the face down a bit further, but then it's hard to make out at that resolution. An "underlook" like the original runs into all sorts of problems.

Chariot

The challenge here comes from the fact that Yugi's head is ridiculously disproportionate. I'd be curious to see how others would tackle it. That 3/4 portrait from the box art was the best fit I could come up with. Could maybe scale the face down a bit further, but then it's hard to make out at that resolution. An "underlook" like the original runs into all sorts of problems.
I think it would already help if the face were a frontal shot.
I might look tomorrow by myself, still need to fill the other letters. Just made the sceenshots of the cards I needed. It's hillariously hard to get good pictures of the Squirrel and Monster leader cards.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I think it would already help if the face were a frontal shot.
I might look tomorrow by myself, still need to fill the other letters. Just made the sceenshots of the cards I needed. It's hillariously hard to get good pictures of the Squirrel and Monster leader cards.

Oh, there are lots of similar poses.

Hard part is if you try to use that as-is (matching the eye positions), his nose ends at about Yugi's chin.

gaE9R69.png

lol

DBZ style isn't too bad:

jUWjYxt.png

Chariot

Oh, there are lots of similar poses.

Hard part is if you try to use that as-is (matching the eye positions), his nose ends at about Yugi's chin.

gaE9R69.png

lol

DBZ style isn't too bad:

jUWjYxt.png
Neat! I edit it into the OP, nice work!

Monster decks are disgusting.
Disgustingly easy to beat, once you know them a bit. Biting Frost is your friend and provocing it to throw all their stuff in one round out are yoru friends.

Top Bottom