• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 PS4 gameplay

I believe RDR had a blue stamina bar for the horse on the border of the map.

red1m.jpg

See. That's smart UI design. Shove as many bars into as small of a space as you possibly can.

Witcher 3 went the opposite direction....

erawsd

See. That's smart UI design. Shove as many bars into as small of a space as you possibly can.

Witcher 3 went the opposite direction....

Its also not a proper comparison since RDR doesnt have nearly as much to track during gameplay. For instance, you dont need an accounting of consumables because the game forces you to dive through a pause menu to use them, there is no quick access. Theres no need for a short list of objectives since you can only have a single active quest at a time.

I agree that TW3's inventory is probably too verbose. The fact that you can turn off and scale whatever you deem unnecessary makes that a moot point though.

Its also not a proper comparison since RDR doesnt have nearly as much to track during gameplay. For instance, you dont need an accounting of consumables because the game forces you to dive through a pause menu to use them, there is no quick access. Theres no need for a short list of objectives since you can only have a single active quest at a time.

I agree that TW3's inventory is probably too verbose. The fact that you can turn off and scale whatever you deem unnecessary makes that a moot point though.

That shouldn't really be an excuse for poor UI design, especially if your not willing to turn off HUD features (for lack of proper in-game representation of what that feature represents) and all you're left with is scaling options.

A smaller version of the HUD is just that, smaller. Not really better.

Kinthalis

Banned
Guaranteed some of the first mods for this game will be UI mods (gopher of Skyrim fame is already thinking about a few, including one where the enemy's health bar will appear along the top or bottom of the screen like in Skyrim) and I bet you there will likely be one called: "Realistic tree swaying".

Tovarisc

Guaranteed some of the first mods for this game will be UI mods (gopher of Skyrim fame is already thinking about a few, including one where the enemy's health bar will appear along the top or bottom of the screen like in Skyrim) and I bet you there will likely be one called: "Realistic tree swaying".

I don't think aspect of mods gives console version players that many warm and fuzzy feelings.

AngryMoth

Don't likely being a negative nancy cos I'm really excited to play this but my first thoughts watching this video is that the level of detail in the distance sticks out as leaving a lot to be desired. I mean it looks good but I think I'll will be jealous of pc players on this occasion.

I'm mostly talking about how the health, experience, and stamina bar are handled. Theyre split up into 2 different sections of the screen, and both are relatively large chunks of screen real estate. They could be simplified and combined into another area of the UI.

The quest list is probably something everyone will turn off. The consumable section could be simplified a LOT.

But I know everyone will just defend the UI design by saying you can turn it off. Ugh... I know. Still ugly.

erawsd

That shouldn't really be an excuse for poor UI design, especially if your not willing to turn off HUD features (for lack of proper in-game representation of what that feature represents) and all you're left with is scaling options.

It actually can make it a better UI since the issue with TW3's ui are largely cosmetic and not due to function or legibility issues. For me, there are 3 things that make for a poor UI: 1. convoluted in use 2. confusing to read. or 3. theres too much/too little. TW3's UI appears to be fast and functional. It appears provides a clear read out of the information its presenting. Where it goes wrong is in the amount and size of the information it displays. Luckily, that is an aspect that we can customized to some degree.

If you want to have all that stuff on your screen, thats your choice. Personally, I'll be turning off the action log, quest list, then button assignments, horse stamina and probably other things I'm forgetting. So when I'm free roaming all I'm left with is a scaled down minimap in the top right corner and when I enter combat my scaled health bar and item quantity dynamically fades in. For me, that is much better than what I'm seeing in these screenshots.

erawsd

I'm mostly talking about how the health, experience, and stamina bar are handled. Theyre split up into 2 different sections of the screen, and both are relatively large chunks of screen real estate. They could be simplified and combined into another area of the UI.

The quest list is probably something everyone will turn off. The consumable section could be simplified a LOT.

But I know everyone will just defend the UI design by saying you can turn it off. Ugh... I know. Still ugly.

If you just think the art and the layout is ugly thats fine. I would agree that I'm not fond of that stuff either. Thats not the same as saying that RDR has a "smarter" ui though. To me having your stamina and health bar right beside one another is much smarter than having them separated by a minimap. Having a very simple list of consumables and their quantities listed during combat is much smarter than having to dive into a pause menu to use a healing item.

It's not really poor design when you can customize it as you see fit though. If you don't want to have quest objectives on screen, turn them off and use the in-game journal to see them. The fact that all of it can be moved/resized/removed is a huge step forward in design if you ask me.

Codiox

I was pointing this out a while back...that the water shaders had been improved. The screen space reflections also look fantastic.
IOj3ASn.jpg
nC4cRKl.jpg

Do we get this water effects on the ps4???

Also when does preload on ps4 starts?

I can't handle this hype level seriously

firelogic

I was pointing this out a while back...that the water shaders had been improved. The screen space reflections also look fantastic.
nC4cRKl.jpg

That pic looks good at first blush but then you realize that he's running into the water and there's hardly any splashing and the way the water parts and moves around him isn't realistic either. There should be a lot more churn, splashing water, and more distortion of the water's surface.

Virdix

That pic looks good at first blush but then you realize that he's running into the water and there's hardly any splashing and the way the water parts and moves around him isn't realistic either. There should be a lot more churn, splashing water, and more distortion of the water's surface.

Nah, it looks good

It's a lot more interaction than what we get in most games....

SaberEdge

I was mainly giving an example of the shader work and the screen space reflections. I realize the reaction of the water isn't 100% realistic. Then again, I could point out endless aspects of the graphics that aren't true to reality.

I mean, what's the standard here? If reality is the standard, all games fail. This water reacts better and is more visually pleasing than the vast majority of water I've seen in games. Feel free to show gifs of water in other games if you think they look so much better.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So, I have the PS4 Collectors edition preordered on Amazon. Have for forever now.

Noticed it says expected delivery date is May 21st..

Now I am going to be playing on my PC, but I was going to let my friend play my PS4 copy. In the interest of them being able to play on launch day too, is there anyway to have it arrive on launch day?

BigTnaples

Unless a new PS4 footage with knee deep water is released, we will only find out on launch day.

I assume the water will look great on PS4, that said I don't know it'll it will be using the extreme tesselation that the PC version is able to. Also uses a Nvidia feature called Water Works, much like Hair Works. Although I am unsure if it had been or ever will be ported to the consoles.

Reddaye

Banned
As someone who HATED Witcher 1, and couldn't seem to get into Witcher 2 I had basically written off this game and completely ignored it.

Watching this footage, and the Angry Joe video from a little while ago I have to admit I'm quite intrigued. Considering my history with these games I'll probably wait for some reviews and videos to start circulating, but this game is actually on my radar now. The open world looks extremely detailed and fun to explore. The way the trees sway violently when it's extremely windy, or how the weather in general seems to be dynamic really catches my eye.

Looks promising. I may end up picking this up after all.

That's way too taxing on the hardware to just expect as a nessecary graphics feature.

Tovarisc

So, I have the PS4 Collectors edition preordered on Amazon. Have for forever now.

Noticed it says expected delivery date is May 21st.

Contact Amazon and ask if you can get day 1 delivery?

I assume the water will look great on PS4, that said I don't know it'll it will be using the extreme tesselation that the PC version is able to. Also uses a Nvidia feature called Water Works, much like Hair Works. Although I am unsure if it had been or ever will be ported to the consoles.

I don't think Witcher 3 support Nvidia's water tech? Even their site only lists PhysX, HBAO+ and HairWorks.

http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/technology/physx

BigTnaples

Contact Amazon and ask if you can get day 1 delivery?

I don't think Witcher 3 support Nvidia's water tech? Even their site only lists PhysX, HBAO+ and HairWorks.

http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/technology/physx

Yeah it's not listed there but I was sure there was a presentation (the same where they showed off the next gen wolf) where they said it was in WH. I know that it does use some extreme tesselation on the water in WH, though I am unsure if that's part of water works.

If not, here is to hoping The Witcher Wild Hunt: Enhanced Edition implements Water Works and Turf Effects Grass.

Unless a new PS4 footage with knee deep water is released, we will only find out on launch day.

If you take a look at the Conan Clueless Gamer playthrough of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfjLRuE1CLw

It appears as though he is playing the Xbox version of the game (there's no real way to know 100%) but if you go to about 6:07 in the video as the Witcher is investigating the Water Hag cave, Geralt is moving around in the water and it appears that some level of that effect is present as he wades through.

If that is indeed the Xbox One version, I don't see any reason to not expect the same effect to be present on the PS4.

If you take a look at the Conan Clueless Gamer playthrough of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfjLRuE1CLw

It appears as though he is playing the Xbox version of the game (there's no real way to know 100%) but if you go to about 6:07 in the video as the Witcher is investigating the Water Hag cave, Geralt is moving around in the water and it appears that some level of that effect is present as he wades through.

That's PC and an older build.

Javin98

Banned
There's so much work done on the water in this game in the PC version? That's amazing. Still, like you said, the water will look great on PS4. I just hope those ripples are in.

It looks good regardless.

Top Bottom